Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Application form job references

Application form job references

Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Default Application form job references

Hi all,
First post.

I've been reading for a few months now and have gained a great insight to the potential move to NZ.

Just had my EOI approved for PR and awaiting the application pack. I have a job offer and I am going through the standard 'Am I making the right decision?' moments.

My problem is until I know for sure that I have definately got PR, I am reluctant for my company to know as I don't want to upset the status quo at the moment. (especially as I got a promotion today and the extra cash will be helpful if we do Emigrate)

My question is... Will the NZIS contact my current employer while the process is ongoing?

I don't intend going out to NZ until July 07 which is when the job will start. I wouldn't make my plans known yet as it might causesome bitterness with the new job promotion (no one else was affected as it is a new post!!)

Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks

DA
Old Aug 12th 2006, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application form job references

Originally Posted by dash1965
Hi all,
First post.

I've been reading for a few months now and have gained a great insight to the potential move to NZ.

Just had my EOI approved for PR and awaiting the application pack. I have a job offer and I am going through the standard 'Am I making the right decision?' moments.

My problem is until I know for sure that I have definately got PR, I am reluctant for my company to know as I don't want to upset the status quo at the moment. (especially as I got a promotion today and the extra cash will be helpful if we do Emigrate)

My question is... Will the NZIS contact my current employer while the process is ongoing?

I don't intend going out to NZ until July 07 which is when the job will start. I wouldn't make my plans known yet as it might causesome bitterness with the new job promotion (no one else was affected as it is a new post!!)

Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks

DA
Hi DA and welcome
others may know differently, but in our experience the NZIS won't contact anyone at any point - it is for you to provide the information that they need, they don't go getting anything. If you have a job offer, your biggest difficulty may be delaying the whole process to fit into your time scales - you'll find people on here who got their visa approval from ITA submission, with a job offer, in a matter of days.
Good luck with it all
Vicki
Old Aug 12th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi DA and welcome
others may know differently, but in our experience the NZIS won't contact anyone at any point - it is for you to provide the information that they need, they don't go getting anything. If you have a job offer, your biggest difficulty may be delaying the whole process to fit into your time scales - you'll find people on here who got their visa approval from ITA submission, with a job offer, in a matter of days.
Good luck with it all
Vicki
Same here-Emigration Group told us it wouldn't happen,and everyone else asked us first if employers knew or not.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danny.f
Same here-Emigration Group told us it wouldn't happen,and everyone else asked us first if employers knew or not.
Many thanks for the replies.

That will make me sleep a bit better knowing its unlikely. I've been very lucky with my job and the problem is at 41 do I stick with the comfort zone or try my hand at something new.

I have travelled to most points in the world and have lived in other countries for large periods of time so I'm not bothered about living in a new country, but New Zealand looks stunning and financially I have a good job to go to if I want (about 60,000NZ$) and I have my forces pension (about 26,000$NZ)

I have my recce trip in Jan 07 to look at houses, meet people, try to do it from a non-rose tinted view as a tourist.

I suppose I'm going through all the same doubts as most people

But thanks for the advice..

Its good to have this resource from people that have been through the same process.

Cheers
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:25 am
Just Joined

titi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm having the same issue too. Just got the email to invite me to apply for ITA. I need to prepare document for the points I claimed for working experience in future growth area and skill shortage (IT field). No job offer in NZ. I have worked in 3 companies before. Not sure how to prepare the documents to proof myself and claim the points. I feel reluctant to let my current employer to know anything about it yet. How should I prepare the documents?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by titi
Hi,

I'm having the same issue too. Just got the email to invite me to apply for ITA. I need to prepare document for the points I claimed for working experience in future growth area and skill shortage (IT field). No job offer in NZ. I have worked in 3 companies before. Not sure how to prepare the documents to proof myself and claim the points. I feel reluctant to let my current employer to know anything about it yet. How should I prepare the documents?
Hi Titi,

I am just about to send in my ITA and there has been no contact with my employer. They've even given me a promotion!!

For your current job, send in your contract and a couple of recent payslips. That should be fine for your current employer.

Good luck

Dave A
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:33 am
Just Joined

titi is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I need to proof and show job description somehow?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:37 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

but New Zealand looks stunning and financially I have a good job to go to if I want (about 60,000NZ$) and I have my forces pension (about 26,000$NZ)
Hiya

Do you know if your mob pension will be taxed in NZ?

If so at what rate?

Or are you not gonna say a word and keep it in the UK?

I get a mob pension and have been wondering how it affects things.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by titi
Do I need to proof and show job description somehow?
Depends what your contract says. You could always ask the admin staff for a copy of your job description saying you want to check your doing everything you are supposed to!!

Cheers

DA
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Hiya

Do you know if your mob pension will be taxed in NZ?

If so at what rate?

Or are you not gonna say a word and keep it in the UK?

I get a mob pension and have been wondering how it affects things.

I'm not sure about how the tax works if you send it over to NZ, I believe they will tax it but it won't get taxed twice as there is a tax agreement between the UK and NZ. I checked with Glasgow and was worried that it wouldn't be indexed linked when I get to 55. They replied and confirmed it is indexed linked.

You could just leave it paid into the UK for a reserve stash and transfer lump sums as and when, but I believe you have to declare UK income with the NZ tax people.

As with most tax issues it is best to check with people qualified to advise you as most peoples situations are different. It will probably be worth paying for some good advise.

Good luck
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:33 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about how the tax works if you send it over to NZ, I believe they will tax it but it won't get taxed twice as there is a tax agreement between the UK and NZ. I checked with Glasgow and was worried that it wouldn't be indexed linked when I get to 55. They replied and confirmed it is indexed linked.

You could just leave it paid into the UK for a reserve stash and transfer lump sums as and when, but I believe you have to declare UK income with the NZ tax people.

As with most tax issues it is best to check with people qualified to advise you as most peoples situations are different. It will probably be worth paying for some good advise.

Good luck
Figured as much. Just kinda hoping they might be generous and let us have it tax free
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:37 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Figured as much. Just kinda hoping they might be generous and let us have it tax free

Look on www.ird.govt.nz

Kiwi equivilant of Inland Revenue
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Would be nice but it should go further there than here!!

Cheers

Dave