Appliances

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

caitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nice
Default Appliances

Can anyone tell me whether it is worth taking my nearly new Gas cooker to NZ? I heard that most houses have electirc but not gas - is that true?

I have a fridge freezer, washer, dryer, cooker(gas), dishwasher, tv, video, dvd etc etc
is it worth taking them all (ie will i be able to use them all if i just change the plugs)

I don't want to start all over again at a much higher cost. But I equally don't want to drag my stuff 12000 miles to take them to the local tip!

HELP!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Appliances

Originally Posted by caitlin206
Can anyone tell me whether it is worth taking my nearly new Gas cooker to NZ? I heard that most houses have electirc but not gas - is that true?

I have a fridge freezer, washer, dryer, cooker(gas), dishwasher, tv, video, dvd etc etc
is it worth taking them all (ie will i be able to use them all if i just change the plugs)

I don't want to start all over again at a much higher cost. But I equally don't want to drag my stuff 12000 miles to take them to the local tip!

HELP!!!
True most houses have electric but some do have gas - it's certainly not unheard of.

People have different stories about whether things work over there or not. I only took small electrical appliances - hair dryer etc., the largest item was a stereo, and they worked but not as well as they had in the Uk - everything ran more slowly and the stereo went bang a few times. But that's just my experience, some people say their things work fine.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

And no, you definitely don't want to be taking your things to the local tip when you get there - it costs a fortune to dump stuff - probably why you see a lot of old washing machines by the side of the road and in the bush.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

caitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mazi
And no, you definitely don't want to be taking your things to the local tip when you get there - it costs a fortune to dump stuff - probably why you see a lot of old washing machines by the side of the road and in the bush.
Wow! does it cost you to go to the local council dump then?
OMG! I gonna have to hire a skip here to get rid of all my stuff I guess.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:55 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

take everything - all our things worked. We have a gas cooker - we use one of the gas bottles - its hidden under the house.

Oh and I've never seen a cooker, fridge, freezer or any other kitchen appliance at the side of the road.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Wow! does it cost you to go to the local council dump then?
OMG! I gonna have to hire a skip here to get rid of all my stuff I guess.
Oh yes, it costs BUT having said that it does depend which tip you take it to and whether you have a car or a trailer etc.

Oh Boyfriend (Kiwi) has just shouted out that a few places are still free, so I guess it changes from town to town. But he has also just said that he once took a trailer load of dirt to a tip near his parents' place (which is a dodgy 'town' in the central North Island) and it cost him $100!!!!! Blimey.

I think it's about 5 - 10 dollars for your average car load of junk.

He has no idea what I wrote on the preceding posts about the washing machines by the side of the road and has just shouted "Tell her to dump it by the side of the road like evryone else does"!!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
take everything - all our things worked. We have a gas cooker - we use one of the gas bottles - its hidden under the house.

Oh and I've never seen a cooker, fridge, freezer or any other kitchen appliance at the side of the road.
Lucky you - we used to play 'spot the washing machine' on our walks. When my mum visited (and she was determined to find no fault with NZ as she had fantasies about moving there to be closer to me) she came back from a tour about in a hire car and said "I thought you were joking about the dumped washing machines".
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky you - we used to play 'spot the washing machine' on our walks. When my mum visited (and she was determined to find no fault with NZ as she had fantasies about moving there to be closer to me) she came back from a tour about in a hire car and said "I thought you were joking about the dumped washing machines".
Hmmmmmm.... now I don't know then. Pixie dust how long have you been in NZ? did you take your cooker form home?
Most of my appliances are fairly new and the cooker set me back £650 and I will prob only get £100 for it so am tempted to take it but obv need to be able to use it.
So what happens to the washers by the side of the road Mazi? who gets rid of them? I didn't see any on my recent reccie visit but maybe I was lucky like Pixie too?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Hmmmmmm.... now I don't know then. Pixie dust how long have you been in NZ? did you take your cooker form home?
Most of my appliances are fairly new and the cooker set me back £650 and I will prob only get £100 for it so am tempted to take it but obv need to be able to use it.
So what happens to the washers by the side of the road Mazi? who gets rid of them? I didn't see any on my recent reccie visit but maybe I was lucky like Pixie too?
I've no idea what happens to them - a lot of them are rusty and look like they're from the ark so they haven't been moved for a long time. But the central North island is not the most salubrious of places so you and PD may just have walked in better areas.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

Of course, I don't mean there is one on every street corner (although I have seen that) - but there were enough to warrant us making up a game to spot them.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:41 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for about a year and a half. Our cooker was new here, but pretty much everything else was from the Uk.

Don't think I've been lucky not to see washing machines! Since we've been here we've done a fair amount of travelling about ( only north island so far) and not a one. Perhaps Mazi was just unlucky.

We pay $30 for a trailer load at the dump. I know lots of people that go to dump stuff there, I dont know anyone who leaves it at the side of the road.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
We've been here for about a year and a half. Our cooker was new here, but pretty much everything else was from the Uk.

Don't think I've been lucky not to see washing machines! Since we've been here we've done a fair amount of travelling about ( only north island so far) and not a one. Perhaps Mazi was just unlucky.

We pay $30 for a trailer load at the dump. I know lots of people that go to dump stuff there, I dont know anyone who leaves it at the side of the road.
I didn't know anyone who dumped at the side of the road either. I would agree that I am unlucky - it is my middle name! I've had some right rotten luck over the years - but it makes for good stories, nothing like a bit of bad luck to make people roar with laughter.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Really? Whiteware is free to take to the local tip... is in Waitakere City anyway.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

OK, found out about your cooker... if you move into a place that has mains Natural Gas, then you'll be fine. There are a few places with mains gas.

If, however, you move somewhere without this, then it's likely you'll have to convert your cooker to LPG, which is sold in bottles. It would be advisable that you get an LPG conversion kit in the UK and bring it with you so that you won't have the hassle of trying to find one here.

HTH - and ps, I would bring EVERYTHING!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dlmckay
OK, found out about your cooker... if you move into a place that has mains Natural Gas, then you'll be fine. There are a few places with mains gas.

If, however, you move somewhere without this, then it's likely you'll have to convert your cooker to LPG, which is sold in bottles. It would be advisable that you get an LPG conversion kit in the UK and bring it with you so that you won't have the hassle of trying to find one here.

HTH - and ps, I would bring EVERYTHING!
thanks dlmckay - i will take your advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.