Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Appartments in Wellington

Appartments in Wellington

Old May 6th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Appartments in Wellington

Ok for those of you on the ground in Wellington what do you think of appartment prices in CBD.
My son is going to Vic uni in Feb and keeps telling us it would be a fantastic investment for us to buy an appartment for him to live in while he is at Uni. We could rent out the other room. All the properties I have looked at seem to be about $250,000. The cost of halls of residence are about $200pw.
There seems to be a big increase of appartments since I was in Welly. Any one know if there is an over supply?
Thanks
KAZ
Old May 6th 2005, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Appartments in Wellington

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Ok for those of you on the ground in Wellington what do you think of appartment prices in CBD.
My son is going to Vic uni in Feb and keeps telling us it would be a fantastic investment for us to buy an appartment for him to live in while he is at Uni. We could rent out the other room. All the properties I have looked at seem to be about $250,000. The cost of halls of residence are about $200pw.
There seems to be a big increase of appartments since I was in Welly. Any one know if there is an over supply?
Thanks
KAZ
My sister is in Halls and she is looking for somewhere to rent next year. There are a few on the market but she said that the best ones are taken quickly. I didnt get the impression that there were loads around. I will ask next time I speak to her.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:07 pm
Banned

ps_wardle is on a distinguished road

hi kaz,
there was a huge increase when we were there all through 2003 & they seem to popping up everywhere, but we've been looking to rent & they dont seem to be on the websites for very long. The cbd is full of them now, but they do all seem to be going fast. Thats just my view from someone looking at renting / buying in welly, obv not on the ground just yet.....
hope your'e well.

Thanks
KAZ
Old May 6th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ps_wardle
hi kaz,
there was a huge increase when we were there all through 2003 & they seem to popping up everywhere, but we've been looking to rent & they dont seem to be on the websites for very long. The cbd is full of them now, but they do all seem to be going fast. Thats just my view from someone looking at renting / buying in welly, obv not on the ground just yet.....
hope your'e well.
Hi Paul,
I didn't think about looking at what was available for rent, doh! good idea that will help us make up our minds about buying one. We haven't bought in the UK and since selling my dream house in Woburn prices seem to have rocketed. I'm loosing sleep over how much money we have lost. If we do buy the appartment it would be our pension fund, god that makes me sound old, mind you it is the big 40 this year.
Had a great day so far, my day off, been to the gym, had coffee with friend, looking a v dirty house and ignoring it.
Cassa, is your sis at Vic? did she not like the halls?
Simon the man on the ground with the know, where are you?
KAZ
Old May 6th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Hi Paul,
I didn't think about looking at what was available for rent, doh! good idea that will help us make up our minds about buying one. We haven't bought in the UK and since selling my dream house in Woburn prices seem to have rocketed. I'm loosing sleep over how much money we have lost. If we do buy the appartment it would be our pension fund, god that makes me sound old, mind you it is the big 40 this year.
Had a great day so far, my day off, been to the gym, had coffee with friend, looking a v dirty house and ignoring it.
Cassa, is your sis at Vic? did she not like the halls?
Simon the man on the ground with the know, where are you?
KAZ

She likes the Halls but i think she would like more personal space. ALso it seems to be the thing they do. Halls for the first while then group up and rent a flat.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:57 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Here I am!

Apartments - there are lots, mostly in converted old office buildings. Some are really tiny, others not too bad. To give you a guide, a friend of mine owns one on the waterfront, It is nice and modern, but not big - two bedrooms, lounge, small galley kitchen, bathroom and laundry (aka utility room). Underground car parking. He paid 1.2 million for it. It is now worth about 1.5 million.

So... anything for 250K is probably small, or in a bad spot, or old. if you have more details I can research further.

Regarding Rosetta... give me some clues, there are several there...
Old May 6th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Here I am!

Apartments - there are lots, mostly in converted old office buildings. Some are really tiny, others not too bad. To give you a guide, a friend of mine owns one on the waterfront, It is nice and modern, but not big - two bedrooms, lounge, small galley kitchen, bathroom and laundry (aka utility room). Underground car parking. He paid 1.2 million for it. It is now worth about 1.5 million.

So... anything for 250K is probably small, or in a bad spot, or old. if you have more details I can research further.

Regarding Rosetta... give me some clues, there are several there...
God, I'm not buying him an appartment worth that much, he will just have to make do with small!! :scared:
The house in Rosetta was on open2view no 104027, just checked though and it must have gone as the house with this no now is not the one.
It was 4 bed, quite big, garden led onto the beach, just a rough guess would be good.
Thanks
KAZ
Old May 6th 2005, 1:29 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

God, I'm not buying him an appartment worth that much, he will just have to make do with small!! :scared:
The house in Rosetta was on open2view no 104027, just checked though and it must have gone as the house with this no now is not the one.
It was 4 bed, quite big, garden led onto the beach, just a rough guess would be good.
Thanks
KAZ
Ah OK, well anything actually on the beach is going for between 750,000 (for a shack) or up to about 1.2 mill for a decent house - if it was modern and well-equipped, more like 1.5 mill. Across the road from the beach and you can halve the price. Beachfront values have gone completely stupid in the last few years. You are paying for the location.

Buy a place a few streets back, save a bundle, and you won't have to spend your days worrying about tsunamis...

I'll ask around some more about apartments... are we talking about the same thing? Most students live in halls of residence, or student flats. Student flats tend to be... shall we say... rough. Apartments are usually owned by city dwellers who like the night life (and not having to catch a bus to work).
Old May 6th 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Ah OK, well anything actually on the beach is going for between 750,000 (for a shack) or up to about 1.2 mill for a decent house - if it was modern and well-equipped, more like 1.5 mill. Across the road from the beach and you can halve the price. Beachfront values have gone completely stupid in the last few years. You are paying for the location.

Buy a place a few streets back, save a bundle, and you won't have to spend your days worrying about tsunamis...

I'll ask around some more about apartments... are we talking about the same thing? Most students live in halls of residence, or student flats. Student flats tend to be... shall we say... rough. Apartments are usually owned by city dwellers who like the night life (and not having to catch a bus to work).
Simon, I feel sick, we sold a beautiful renovated villa, extended, huge, 3 living areas, 5 beds, 2 baths. 4 houses back from the beach in Petone. I don't think we could afford to buy that house back now. I was hoping to get something beachside up the coast, maybe not.
As far as appartments I was looking on open2view for two bed CBD, don't want student flat, more pied a tier.
Thanks for your help
KAZ