Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

For an apparently westernised country - how can this be acceptable?

For an apparently westernised country - how can this be acceptable?

Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For an apparently westernised country - how can this be acceptable?

Originally Posted by Assanah
Sorry, but to me that is not acceptable. I always wondered why we should show respect to religious people and their (sometimes hateful) attitudes towards others while non-religious people have to shut up and be nice, show respect, stay outside when requested etc.
I have not claimed that in any of my posts. Please read my posts again. I have requested respect towards other people's beliefs and culture, whether it involves religion -or not. A belief is anything a person believes to be true, whether it is a religious belief (including atheism), a political view, an philosophical or ethical view or anything else the person holds true. Religion, or the lack of it, is, however, a subject that very many people feel very passionate about, and disrespect towards others' religions is one of the easiest ways to profoundly offend someone. I used religion as example how similar respect and correct behaviour towards other people's beliefs are requested around the world, even in Europe. Feel free to substitute the word religion in my posts with "political system" or "ethical belief" -it's still about beliefs and respecting them even though you might not share the same views and beliefs.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but to me that is not acceptable. I always wondered why we should show respect to religious people and their (sometimes hateful) attitudes towards others while non-religious people have to shut up and be nice, show respect, stay outside when requested etc.
I'm sure you'll find non-religious and religious people NOT paying respect in pretty equal quantities the world over. Unfortunately no one religion, culture or indeed type of person has a monopoly on hatred or hateful opinions.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Why isn't the policy in place for all Taonga in it's collection & to protect all women , if it's an important enough issue for Te Papa to request this for a behind the scenes tour.

Nothing is mentioned about menstruating or pregnant women here. You'd think the belief would have appeared as a 'barrier'.
I think it is more that the Taonga in this particular collection has been used in battle (and to kill people), therefore it's to "protect" women who are pregnant or who are menstruating.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:05 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I know where you're coming from but there has to be some level of rational balance. It's not always easy to be tolerant when people behave in a way that you disapprove of, but if you start to behave intolerantly then it's all to easy to sink to a level even lower than the attitudes you dislike.

Every issue needs to be considered under it's own merit and balanced against the potential postive and negative effects of taking a particular standpoint.

All too complicated for the average person, so we normally respond by stereotyping a situation and responding with learnt reactions.

Most of the religious, sexist and political arguments that appear are just bullshit propogated by people that like controversy or have their own agendas. At the end of the day the world would be a better place if we were ALL sensitive and considerate in ALL circumstances, but don't hold your breath.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:15 am
Just Joined

gocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nicegocebe is just really nice

no-one has a monopoly on mumbo jumbo.

many catholics believe that they can eat the flesh and blood of a 2000 yr old man in the form of a wafer and their favourite drop of vino tinto.

go figure.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:26 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gocebe
no-one has a monopoly on mumbo jumbo..

....are they neighbours to these bongo bongo mentioned earlier?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:26 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Would you care to elaborate.
Sure can...

Originally Posted by Article
...Te Papa insists the request is not an outright ban....
Originally Posted by Feminist blogger
"It's disgusting that in this day and age women can be told they're "forbidden" for menstruating or being pregnant. It's a completely archaic belief that is oppressive to all women."
Somebody is just making mischief...
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:29 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not an outright ban, but pregnant and menstruating women were asked to come back another time.

Yes, we should respect the beliefs and faiths of others but not to the extent that it causes harm, imo. Even though it's uncomfortable, some cultural beliefs need challenging because they are contrary to basic human rights (the practice of female circumcision springs to mind).

Te Papa is tax payer funded and should simply refuse exhibits that come with discriminatory conditions attached. I think it reflects very badly on the bi-cultural status of NZ if we can't discuss this openly because of colonial guilt.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by southerner
Sure can...Somebody is just making mischief...
Ah ! That would be the NZ Herald then who , it would appear, contacted several of these feminist bloggers for their not unsurprising comments on this issue.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:44 am
`

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

I just hope this 'ban' isn't just a cynical attempt to drum up interest in the exhibition - to get people to visit to see what all the fuss is about. Nothing like a bit of TVNZ-like controversy to get the ratings up is there?
Quite
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:04 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ! That would be the NZ Herald then who , it would appear, contacted several of these feminist bloggers for their not unsurprising comments on this issue.
Did they? that's just the sort of thing they'd do - turn something minor into a witch hunt. Feminism in action, or just another chance to have a pop at Maori?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:35 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

... these feminist bloggers ...
That amused me no end
Old Oct 14th 2010, 5:48 am
`

Did they?
Grace given chance to have a pop at Pop.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:59 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Did they? that's just the sort of thing they'd do - turn something minor into a witch hunt. Feminism in action, or just another chance to have a pop at Maori?
That hardly makes them unique in the world press...
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

There is a belief that these articles are powerful and therefore could cause upset or an emotional reaction in people who are hapu or mate wahine. The recommendation is protective of women. Many culture have superstitions, I personally wouldn't move the cot into the bedroom until I was way way into my 3rd trimester.

Having gone through a Maori ritual that was phenomenally emotional unstabling for me, I would heed the warning. The reason that the same recommendation is not in place for the general exhibition is that the artifacts will go through a process of basically diluting the power before general release. Also not all the artifacts from the taonga store will be on display.

Te Papa says that really it is up to the individual and that this request has been made for 8 years and no one has complained before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.