Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:47 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
As Bev says, you're possibly in the wrong place. But then again, you have only been there a month! Has your son been at the school for a month? I'm sure that once he has really settled in, that things will change for the better!

Hang on in there, it will get better. We've been here 4 months and my little boy has just got his first invite for a play day at his friends house
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
BEV

We can get Paxo in the UK shop in Blenheim Think she may post it up to you if you phone her
Ta for that Our UK shop closed down here.

I thought of summat else I miss.

I miss the long light summers evenings in the UK. It'll stay light 'til really late.

Yes. I know all that about weather and early dark winters evenings.

It's something I miss though. Here it gets dark promtly and earlier. I love the long twilights.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:55 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I miss:

- my London salary
- Europe
- big city buzz
- paying a TV licence
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:36 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

This might sound daft but I miss seeing people like Jonathan Ross on TV or the radio. I love Mr Woss. Missing seeing Paul Merton too. Miss the very lovely Ally McQuoist on Question of Sport.

Also miss the accessibility of Europe and the fantastic cheap flights to get there.

London theatre

Christmas in the UK - have never liked Christmas here particularly.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dazal
This might sound daft but I miss seeing people like Jonathan Ross on TV or the radio. I love Mr Woss. Missing seeing Paul Merton too. Miss the very lovely Ally McQuoist on Question of Sport.

Also miss the accessibility of Europe and the fantastic cheap flights to get there.

London theatre

Christmas in the UK - have never liked Christmas here particularly.
have only done the one xmas so far and it just didnt feel quite right, christmas just felt odd
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:18 am
Just Joined

tallpaul2uk will become famous soon enoughtallpaul2uk will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

Hi Everyone,

Have just stumbled across this website. This is my first post!

Have been living in NZ now for around 8 months (Tauranga) I drive a fair bit with my job and often the wether is great in Tauranga and terrible everywhere else. It was one of the main drivers which made me choose Taurnaga. It's sunny alot...................even in Winter!

With regards to the Uk I miss my friends and family. And decent meat (like sausages) from the butchers. Miss going to the football too!

But apart from that not much else. Certainly no regrets about coming here. I, like alot of people, got fed up with the UK.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Digestive biscuits infact biscuits in general the ones that dont break your jaw as you bite into them

Crisps - closest came to decent crisps are called Delisco starngly enough have a picture of BigBen on the salt n vineger flavour.

Computer Keyboards that have the pound symbol above the number 3 rather than these yankee style keyboards.

Halfords yea really a decent car store would be cool.

My friendly Citreon mechanic especially now I got another Citreon BX again

Wife said Jaffacakes

TeamEmbo, I am guessing you mean Minor Birds those annoying birds so common in Auckland which are kept in cages in the UK or possibly the NZ magpie?

Our Garden is full of bird life mostly sparrows and several Thrushes which in the UK the Thrush is a endangered bird (Could be your summer bird?). Living near a Native Forest got a few birds which are quite pleasant to hear along with the Blackbirds.
Colin did you realise you can get proper digestives at Countdown, and chocolate ones at New world Devonsport! Mc Vities
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:01 am
Just Joined

wimsy is an unknown quantity at this point

I also miss houses with gardens, it makes me sad that alot of people decided to sell half there land to build another house on, a waste IMO!
I miss alot, too much to mention really.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallpaul2uk
Hi Everyone,

Have just stumbled across this website. This is my first post!

Have been living in NZ now for around 8 months (Tauranga) I drive a fair bit with my job and often the wether is great in Tauranga and terrible everywhere else. It was one of the main drivers which made me choose Taurnaga. It's sunny alot...................even in Winter!

With regards to the Uk I miss my friends and family. And decent meat (like sausages) from the butchers. Miss going to the football too!

But apart from that not much else. Certainly no regrets about coming here. I, like alot of people, got fed up with the UK.

Hi Paul,

Welcome.
We are in Papamoa and visit Tauranga all the time. Good ere innit. I agree about the weather. We`ve been here 8 months as well.

Ash
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

tallpaul2uk will become famous soon enoughtallpaul2uk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi Paul,

Welcome.
We are in Papamoa and visit Tauranga all the time. Good ere innit. I agree about the weather. We`ve been here 8 months as well.

Ash

Yep, weather is generally good...although not so clever at the moment!