Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

thought it would be interesting to find what what everyone misses about back home.....

i miss my local newspaper,finding out whats going on around you does'nt quite have the same appeal here,

once i get to know places it will feel different ,but for now there just names..

ok so get your posts in and we can see what strange things people miss...
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

At the moment the thing I miss the most is my good friends back in the UK
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garryhg
thought it would be interesting to find what what everyone misses about back home.....

i miss my local newspaper,finding out whats going on around you does'nt quite have the same appeal here,

once i get to know places it will feel different ,but for now there just names..

ok so get your posts in and we can see what strange things people miss...
Really missed Chris Moyles' Radio 1 Breakfast Show, so listened to it online in the evenings ... then got over it!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:07 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the sound of the birdsong in my garden back in the uk. don't know what bird it was but it always sung at dusk and it reminds me of long summer evenings.

We do have birds in the garden here but the main one, that seems to have taken up residence in the oak tree, I have named the whiner bird as that's all it does . Sounds like an annoying toddler and its there all day long
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Staar will become famous soon enoughStaar will become famous soon enough

I miss english newspapers, This morning (Fern Britton and gorgeous Philip Schofield) and ... taramasalata really sad I know!!!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:13 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Digestive biscuits infact biscuits in general the ones that dont break your jaw as you bite into them

Crisps - closest came to decent crisps are called Delisco starngly enough have a picture of BigBen on the salt n vineger flavour.

Computer Keyboards that have the pound symbol above the number 3 rather than these yankee style keyboards.

Halfords yea really a decent car store would be cool.

My friendly Citreon mechanic especially now I got another Citreon BX again

Wife said Jaffacakes

TeamEmbo, I am guessing you mean Minor Birds those annoying birds so common in Auckland which are kept in cages in the UK or possibly the NZ magpie?

Our Garden is full of bird life mostly sparrows and several Thrushes which in the UK the Thrush is a endangered bird (Could be your summer bird?). Living near a Native Forest got a few birds which are quite pleasant to hear along with the Blackbirds.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi team embo

sounds like the start of a novelwere you drinking your pimms in the garden whilst listening to this bird

no seriously you need to buy a cat

do you no what else i miss,not just the sound of birds or children playing in the garden,because kids don't seem to go out and play here....

i miss the garden,you don't get gardens here,you just get another house either in front or behind you:curse:
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:29 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, Pimms for sure! Lovely drink.

And yes Colin, now you mention it could have been a thrush.

We have a great garden here with a stream and a hot tub (and the whiner bird ) but I know what you mean a lot of houses here seem to take up the whole section. We've got houses either side of us but they're well spaced away as we have garden either side of the house and the house behind is across the stream at the back of the garden.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:47 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

There you go Garryhg move to the South Island, they dont call Christchurch the GARDEN city for nothing
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

i didn' realise north island was so built up,you would,t get away with building houses like that in britain,

then again you wouldn't get away with doing a lot of things in britain that they do here.............
Old Aug 12th 2007, 12:58 pm
Banned

Only Auckland my friend! You have around 25% of NZs population living in Auckland, 50% scattered in pockets around the North Island and the remaining 25% in the South Island.

Get passed Hamilton and things are real quite and sparse
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:10 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

i didn' realise north island was so built up,you would,t get away with building houses like that in britain,

then again you wouldn't get away with doing a lot of things in britain that they do here.............
Like having a ruddy smoking chimney spewing its damn-awful pollutants directly onto my deck/patio and making MrsL's asthma return after years of relapse.........I miss the clean air act!
Also:
Decent radio news coverage and decent radio
A wide and varied language
TV without ADs
solidly built houses with safety features, like proper banisters, safety glass and electrics that might withstand the normal use of electric heating
double glazing
courtesy on the roads
the local
predicatable weather
the list goes on and on and there must be oodles of threads where it is more complete......
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

hi team embo

sounds like the start of a novelwere you drinking your pimms in the garden whilst listening to this bird

no seriously you need to buy a cat

do you no what else i miss,not just the sound of birds or children playing in the garden,because kids don't seem to go out and play here....

i miss the garden,you don't get gardens here,you just get another house either in front or behind you:curse:
Where do kids play then? I thought it was all about the outside life there or is it straight to the beach?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

thats what i thought,before i came over here all i heard was ,its great for families ,outdoor country,

where we lived in scotland,kids came home from school went out to play,it was a small town certainly,but had a heart to the comunity,

we've been here a month now and never even clapped eyes on who lives next door.maybe i'm in the wrong house but you see joggers going passed but thats it,

miss that son used to out and play football in garden,

hes like a caged lion in here:curse:

right now i don't feel i given my kids a better quality of life
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:30 pm
Banned

FishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud ofFishOil has much to be proud of

I miss the dirt. You can't go anything in this dirt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.