British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   apart from family and friends,what do you miss most (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/apart-family-friends-what-do-you-miss-most-473455/)

garryhg Aug 12th 2007 10:51 am

apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

thought it would be interesting to find what what everyone misses about back home.....

i miss my local newspaper,finding out whats going on around you does'nt quite have the same appeal here,

once i get to know places it will feel different ,but for now there just names..

ok so get your posts in and we can see what strange things people miss...:thumbsup:

SarahB Aug 12th 2007 10:55 am

Re: apart from family and friends,what do you miss most

At the moment the thing I miss the most is my good friends back in the UK :(

Am Loolah Aug 12th 2007 10:56 am

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 5179334)
thought it would be interesting to find what what everyone misses about back home.....

i miss my local newspaper,finding out whats going on around you does'nt quite have the same appeal here,

once i get to know places it will feel different ,but for now there just names..

ok so get your posts in and we can see what strange things people miss...:thumbsup:

Really missed Chris Moyles' Radio 1 Breakfast Show, so listened to it online in the evenings ... then got over it!:)

TeamEmbo Aug 12th 2007 11:07 am

I miss the sound of the birdsong in my garden back in the uk. don't know what bird it was but it always sung at dusk and it reminds me of long summer evenings.

We do have birds in the garden here but the main one, that seems to have taken up residence in the oak tree, I have named the whiner bird as that's all it does :blink:. Sounds like an annoying toddler and its there all day long :mad:

Staar Aug 12th 2007 11:12 am

I miss english newspapers, This morning (Fern Britton and gorgeous Philip Schofield) and ... taramasalata:huh: really sad I know!!!:rofl:

Colin in the middle Aug 12th 2007 11:13 am

Digestive biscuits infact biscuits in general the ones that dont break your jaw as you bite into them :blink:

Crisps - closest came to decent crisps are called Delisco starngly enough have a picture of BigBen on the salt n vineger flavour.

Computer Keyboards that have the pound symbol above the number 3 rather than these yankee style keyboards.

Halfords yea really a decent car store would be cool.

My friendly Citreon mechanic especially now I got another Citreon BX again :o

Wife said Jaffacakes :thumbup:

TeamEmbo, I am guessing you mean Minor Birds those annoying birds so common in Auckland which are kept in cages in the UK or possibly the NZ magpie?

Our Garden is full of bird life mostly sparrows and several Thrushes which in the UK the Thrush is a endangered bird (Could be your summer bird?). Living near a Native Forest got a few birds which are quite pleasant to hear along with the Blackbirds.

garryhg Aug 12th 2007 11:14 am

hi team embo

sounds like the start of a novel:thumbsup:were you drinking your pimms in the garden whilst listening to this bird:thumbup:

no seriously you need to buy a cat:eek:

do you no what else i miss,not just the sound of birds or children playing in the garden,because kids don't seem to go out and play here....:blink:

i miss the garden,you don't get gardens here,you just get another house either in front or behind you:curse:

TeamEmbo Aug 12th 2007 11:29 am

Ah yes, Pimms for sure! Lovely drink.

And yes Colin, now you mention it could have been a thrush.

We have a great garden here with a stream and a hot tub (and the whiner bird :sneaky:) but I know what you mean a lot of houses here seem to take up the whole section. We've got houses either side of us but they're well spaced away as we have garden either side of the house and the house behind is across the stream at the back of the garden.

Colin in the middle Aug 12th 2007 11:47 am

There you go Garryhg move to the South Island, they dont call Christchurch the GARDEN city for nothing ;)

garryhg Aug 12th 2007 11:54 am

i didn' realise north island was so built up,you would,t get away with building houses like that in britain,

then again you wouldn't get away with doing a lot of things in britain that they do here.............:blink:

Colin in the middle Aug 12th 2007 12:58 pm

Only Auckland my friend! You have around 25% of NZs population living in Auckland, 50% scattered in pockets around the North Island and the remaining 25% in the South Island.

Get passed Hamilton and things are real quite and sparse :thumbup:

lardyl Aug 12th 2007 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 5179592)
i didn' realise north island was so built up,you would,t get away with building houses like that in britain,

then again you wouldn't get away with doing a lot of things in britain that they do here.............:blink:

Like having a ruddy smoking chimney spewing its damn-awful pollutants directly onto my deck/patio and making MrsL's asthma return after years of relapse.........I miss the clean air act!
Also:
Decent radio news coverage and decent radio
A wide and varied language
TV without ADs
solidly built houses with safety features, like proper banisters, safety glass and electrics that might withstand the normal use of electric heating
double glazing
courtesy on the roads
the local
predicatable weather
the list goes on and on and there must be oodles of threads where it is more complete......

RedMonsk Aug 12th 2007 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 5179462)
hi team embo

sounds like the start of a novel:thumbsup:were you drinking your pimms in the garden whilst listening to this bird:thumbup:

no seriously you need to buy a cat:eek:

do you no what else i miss,not just the sound of birds or children playing in the garden,because kids don't seem to go out and play here....:blink:

i miss the garden,you don't get gardens here,you just get another house either in front or behind you:curse:

Where do kids play then? I thought it was all about the outside life there or is it straight to the beach? :confused:

garryhg Aug 12th 2007 7:54 pm

thats what i thought,before i came over here all i heard was ,its great for families ,outdoor country,

where we lived in scotland,kids came home from school went out to play,it was a small town certainly,but had a heart to the comunity,

we've been here a month now and never even clapped eyes on who lives next door.maybe i'm in the wrong house but you see joggers going passed but thats it,

miss that son used to out and play football in garden,:thumbsup:

hes like a caged lion in here:curse:

right now i don't feel i given my kids a better quality of life:thumbdown:

FishOil Aug 12th 2007 9:30 pm

I miss the dirt. You can't go anything in this dirt