Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in West Auckland?

Anyone in West Auckland?

Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone in West Auckland?

Ok...So...

Was supposed to be moving to Christchurch with the family but have decided against it for a number of reasons. Anyway the house is on the market in Orewa and we have decided to move anyway but maybe to West Auckland. Somewhere like Titirangi, Oratia around that area.

But we have come up with a lot of negatives from people who have told us to stay away from West Auckland and that the schools have lots of bad kids in them etc etc

I would really love to find people on here who live there and have kids in the schools there to give me some first hand information about what its like.

Thanks Heaps

Amanda
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone in West Auckland?

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Ok...So...

Was supposed to be moving to Christchurch with the family but have decided against it for a number of reasons. Anyway the house is on the market in Orewa and we have decided to move anyway but maybe to West Auckland. Somewhere like Titirangi, Oratia around that area.

But we have come up with a lot of negatives from people who have told us to stay away from West Auckland and that the schools have lots of bad kids in them etc etc

I would really love to find people on here who live there and have kids in the schools there to give me some first hand information about what its like.

Thanks Heaps

Amanda
Hi Amanda,
We live in Titirangi and love it here.
We've lived in meadowbank, remuera and Orakei and found that they were all quite impersonal and very built up.
Where as Titirangi is freindly and not built up at all with some very quirky looking houses.
Both my girls went to Baradene and found it was a good school, however, our youngest was failing and extremely sad as she just couldn't make friends(not for lack of trying), this year we have moved her to Greenbay high which is in walking distance for her. She has blossomed there and is doing extremely well.
Many of the schools have bad kids as well as good ones no matter where they go to school. Titirangi has a great RSA and is very family orientated. The village life is great and so are the beaches and rainforests which are in abundance. Not sure how old your children are but Titirangi primary and woodlands parks are great schools for younger children.
If you need to know anymore about this area and the surround villages then please ask.
Good luck.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that...

My boys are 11 and 12 years old and the youngest is extremely academic so really need to make sure that they get into a good school. Ive heard that Glen Eden Intermediate is a good school and Waitakere College was ranked in the top five schools in a metro magazine survey.

I think we need to take a drive out there and have a good look around. My bestie lives in Titirangi and shes stoked that we are looking to move there.

Im into running (Actually more like waddling) so would love to find a womens running group out there.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Im into running (Actually more like waddling) so would love to find a womens running group out there.
It get's better:

There is a titirangi running(waddling) group that meets a couple of times a week and whilst out walking the dogs morning and night I meet quite a few jogwads on the way.

As a matter of interest, I think this Sunday morning is the Titirangi market held in the memorial hall carpark. That would really give you a taste of the Titirangi village life and the kind of people who live here, as they all come out of the woodwork, bush etc....

incidently there is a beautiful big house(known as the white house), right in the village, currently up for sale, if you have around 900K to spend.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by julesnye

incidently there is a beautiful big house(known as the white house), right in the village, currently up for sale, if you have around 900K to spend.
Ha Ha I wish...Looking at renting to start with and have a good look around.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NZgrl

We're in Blockhouse Bay and love it.
I am actually obsessed with BHB and how well set up it is.
Not as gorgeous as titters but great community.
I would live in Titirangi or Oratia in a heartbeat. Really lovely communities both.
I have friends in French Bay too which is pretty gorgeous.
The roads make it feel like it's out of the city when it really is so close.
I think that this part of town is the only place I'd live.
As for schools...there are plenty of good enough ones and you can always try out of zone for others if you want a different one.

Good luck with your decision

Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Surprised nobody else lives in west Auckland on here.... Just came back from titters and went to the market... Loads of pommie accents!!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Westie, I stand out a mile as I don't drive a Holden, I don't wear black clothes, I don't drive along shouting stuff out of the window, I wear footwear to visit the shops and a good night out doesn't involve driving around in a mates car drinking cans of woodstock in the backseat!

To be honest West Auckland ain't too bad, there's plenty of backwards people but they're a friendly bunch. We live in Henderson, I'm always out and about walking the dog or running so I get to see a lot of the place. there's loads of huge housing estates being built and the houses look very nice indeed. Some serious money around, especially on the estates up off Sturges Road.

But it's all irrelvant as in 9 days we move to Dunedin, mainly due to the fact houses are way overpriced in Auckland.

I will miss living so close to the West Coast/Waitakeres. The coastline and beaches are simply amazing out over the hills, it's a magical place driving through a rain forest and having a beach that looks like something off robinson crusoe all to yourself. I've been to many beaches around NZ and nothing so far comes close to the West Coast.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Glen Eden int then Kelston Boys High School, it was along time ago tho.Graham Henry was the deputy head then :-). Lynfield college was the best school in the area around my time. Green bay is ok. If they still do streaming at school you will be fine.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westie123
I went to Glen Eden int then Kelston Boys High School, it was along time ago tho.Graham Henry was the deputy head then :-). Lynfield college was the best school in the area around my time. Green bay is ok. If they still do streaming at school you will be fine.
I went to Lynfield College for 1 year then we moved to Welly.... (the reasons; too many chinese, koreans etc at school)

yes, I've heard its a good school... (at that time. nearly 20 years ago)

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 29th 2012 at 10:05 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Surprised nobody else lives in west Auckland on here.... Just came back from titters and went to the market... Loads of pommie accents!!
Glad you went.
did you like it?
The market I mean.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Had a lovely day out and we have decided to move to titirangi... So looks like a coffee is on the cards soon eh?? Will need to meet some new mates now!
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Nothing wrong with West Auckland, you just have to pick your areas. It's easy enough, drive around and decide if you can live on that street. The bad areas are VERY obvious. In fact, you don't even have to drive nowadays, Google's StreetView will show you.

I have three children and live in Henderson now, after living in Massey. Two still go to Massey Primary (lots of money in the lifestyle blocks of Taupaki) and one has just started attending Massey High.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:00 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

we juggled with "townie" or "rural"... almost bought in Titirangi and also fell in love with a property in Oratia - kids would have gone to either schools - both of which are great. We only bottled it because we didn't think we could do the leafy suburbs and long drives, everywhere requires a car-kind-of living.... but always think fondly of the area. Have subsequently had one of our kids do footie training at Lynfield, all lovely kids.... great area

Been here for 7 years and if we weren't in central-eastern subs would be in either Onehunga or Titirangi/Oratia area

North shore- yuk!
Old May 18th 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

westiehaggis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey we live in Titirangi too, love it! Actually we go to the Titirangi RSA sometimes too! lol, nice cheap drinks! :-) We have a 4 month old baby girl, we live right near Oratia school, so have heard its quite good! Keen to catch up with others in the area too for coffee! Hubby is Scottish and I'm kiwi!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.