Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in wanganui

Anyone in wanganui

Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:23 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Anyone in wanganui

Hi is there anyone living in Wanganui, it would great to share experiences with someone in a smiler position, Been here since July, bought house in august, married with 2 girls, one 14 year old who wants to go home and having trouble with, feel like billy no mates at the moment, although people are very friendly yet to make friends yet, help please
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:52 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in wanganui

Originally Posted by love30stm
Hi is there anyone living in Wanganui, it would great to share experiences with someone in a smiler position, Been here since July, bought house in august, married with 2 girls, one 14 year old who wants to go home and having trouble with, feel like billy no mates at the moment, although people are very friendly yet to make friends yet, help please
Hi,

We are not near you I'm afraid, but we moved over here back in April when our eldest was 14. She certainly took the longest to settle in and make friends as was not very keen to move anyway. However, 6 months on and she's a different child. We never see her, she's always out with friends, sleepovers, parties, she has a part time job, she can drive (with her Dad I hasten to add!) and seems to be very happy now. But it does take time.

A friend asked her a couple of weeks ago if she'd go back to the UK to which she replied, yes ... to visit ... not to live!

Does she belong to any after school clubs or have any extra-curricula interests?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

None of these are prolific posters but are also suppose to be living in your area, so you may want to do a member search on them, then contact them but they are - IainW, Jay Ray & tinytiger.. It might help/they may help...

Simon
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:33 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Yea Wanganui can be a bit like that, but then again so can anywhere in NZ.
Make a suggestion join a bowls club. Yes even if you dont like bowls join and enjoy it you will make a few friends guarenteed.

Mate you have been here all of what 3 months? Thats not long and your still adapting, you will find a lot of ex pats in Wanganui just dont expect them to jump off the internet to you.

What part of Wanagas are you in?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:33 pm

Red face Re: Anyone in wanganui

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
Yea Wanganui can be a bit like that, but then again so can anywhere in NZ.
Make a suggestion join a bowls club. Yes even if you dont like bowls join and enjoy it you will make a few friends guarenteed.

Mate you have been here all of what 3 months? Thats not long and your still adapting, you will find a lot of ex pats in Wanganui just dont expect them to jump off the internet to you.

What part of Wanagas are you in?
Hi, and thanks ha ha bowls!! Im not that old, I would like to make like minded people, but im starting a computer course and other things in the pipleline so take it from their, I had a bad day yesterday because of my daughter but shes a bit happier today, and thanks again.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:11 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Join bowls.............are you drunk?? I live right across from the St Johns Hill Bowls club and they are all white haired people from what I can see!!

Well we are in Wanganui and though we are trying to leave............easier said than done in this market, we do know of expats with children here. I found the best way of meeting people was actually being at work. For the first year I didnt work as we have young children and when I did start work, it was a great social event for me! I am not surprised at all to hear that your 14 year old is missing home, but I do know of a similar aged friend's duaghter who is lovely and loves it here, maybe we could get them in touch?? It is early days, and I remember really well wondering what I was supposed to feel like in that first year. You will settle in beleive me, and if you want to get together, feel free to message me and maybe get together for a coffee!

Welcome to Wangavegas! Make the most of the beach now the summer is coming!

Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:04 am

Red face Re: Anyone in wanganui

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Join bowls.............are you drunk?? I live right across from the St Johns Hill Bowls club and they are all white haired people from what I can see!!

Well we are in Wanganui and though we are trying to leave............easier said than done in this market, we do know of expats with children here. I found the best way of meeting people was actually being at work. For the first year I didnt work as we have young children and when I did start work, it was a great social event for me! I am not surprised at all to hear that your 14 year old is missing home, but I do know of a similar aged friend's duaghter who is lovely and loves it here, maybe we could get them in touch?? It is early days, and I remember really well wondering what I was supposed to feel like in that first year. You will settle in beleive me, and if you want to get together, feel free to message me and maybe get together for a coffee!

Welcome to Wangavegas! Make the most of the beach now the summer is coming!

Yes thanks I dont think I want to join bowls, I feel like billy no mates, because I had alot of friends back in the uk, but I know its early days, our stuff has not arrived from the uk yet, and we have actually been in our house only 2 months, but thanks for the advice, and maybe will get for that coffee, but you want to leave!!!!

Bev
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:33 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes we are leaving, at some point, as I may have mentioned elsewhere we have been on the market for 7 months, so who knows when we will actually move. Obviously I understand if you dont want to meet up based on that, but sometimes it is nice to meet people who know the area well and have some experience of the same place. Its totally up to you, see what you think
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:41 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Hi, and thanks ha ha bowls!! Im not that old, I would like to make like minded people, but im starting a computer course and other things in the pipleline so take it from their, I had a bad day yesterday because of my daughter but shes a bit happier today, and thanks again.
That makes me laugh giving a streotype to the game of bowls. Funny thing got a few friends at the St Johns Bowling club and they would be pretty much offended with
they are all white haired people
since they have their children playing bowls at the club. Not just for old wrinkles you know young blood gets the trophys Anyways it was a suggestion you asked for ideas you got one.

Also I sent you a PM with some other information you may want to read it. Prefer you respected the PM and replied to it rather than here.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:33 pm
NS covern member #1

Sincere apologies there - it just seems that the older crowd are the ones fighting for the kindi parking spaces and parking outside our house. It has to be said that it isnt for everyone and its very individual. But great advice nonetheless as it is always hard to know where to start meeting people initially! Certainly dont want to offend the St Johns Hill bowlers, I love living opposite the bowling green.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

slimchic will become famous soon enoughslimchic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well yes we are leaving, at some point, as I may have mentioned elsewhere we have been on the market for 7 months, so who knows when we will actually move. Obviously I understand if you dont want to meet up based on that, but sometimes it is nice to meet people who know the area well and have some experience of the same place. Its totally up to you, see what you think
hi If I get out there before you leave wanganui, I'd love to meet up and chat to you about your local knowledge etc. e are seeling our house here in the Uk, been on the market about the same time as yours, iguess both markets are slow
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:48 am
Just Joined

smudga has a spectacular aura aboutsmudga has a spectacular aura aboutsmudga has a spectacular aura about

Hi I live in Wanganui, best described as Small quiet, slow moving, friendly, relaxed, moderate temperature, nice place to live, great place to bring up kids.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:41 pm
Banned

yep 40,000 people, move next door to a black power or Mongrel mob house you will be sweet

Yet another Wanagnui Thread place must be getting popular thanks to Kietha (24) Sutherland and River Queen.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
yep 40,000 people, move next door to a black power or Mongrel mob house you will be sweet

Yet another Wanagnui Thread place must be getting popular thanks to Kietha (24) Sutherland and River Queen.
hi not sure i uderstand this reply- black power etc?? what does it mean and the mongrel bit, sorry to be a bit dense!!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smudga
Hi I live in Wanganui, best described as Small quiet, slow moving, friendly, relaxed, moderate temperature, nice place to live, great place to bring up kids.
any places best avoided when house buying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.