Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone up in Orewa/Hatfields Beach area?

Anyone up in Orewa/Hatfields Beach area?

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Question Anyone up in Orewa/Hatfields Beach area?

Hi BE's,

Everyone recovering from a good public holiday weekend? Now the 5 month stretch begins before we get another one!!

Anyway, to get back on track...
I'm wanting to hear experiences from people who are living further north and travelling to Auckland, and if possible what the schools are like out that way for the young ones.

So here's our situation. Family consisting of two young daughters, eldest is 3 years old and youngest about to turn 1 this month.

We relocated here from the UK just under two years ago... and we love it, all of it! We currently live in Browns Bay, and love it here too. however, we have found a place we really like in Hatfields Beach, Rodney area - and it's right on the beach! Gorgeous it is... stunning beach views.

I do have to travel to Auckland for work, not in the CBD but i get off at Gillies exit. So traffic is carnage, we know that... I'm used to it and living on the North Shore, for us anyway, is worth the hassle.
I'm relatively unfazed by it, but would be really keen to know if anyone is travelling by car from that area to Auckland and how you find it.. I have to take the car too, bus or any other mode is out.

Now the wife on the other hand, who also loves this property in Hatfields Beach is where it gets more complicated, because it does take and has taken time to settle in for her and get the kids settled in to nursery and now kindy. Plus we've made some good friends here too. So the most disruption will be for the wife, I still get up and go to work not too much changes for me, but the wife has to start from scratch again...

So anyone made the move, or living out this way. how do you find making friends there - are people quite chatty or reserved? not sure what the schools are like there, we would need a kindy and a nursery, like Lolipops or something similar.

If anyone is doing the commute to Auckland, please advise! All comments suggestions welcome.. ultimately, would it be worth the move further North!

Thanks in advance... Cheers.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 6:13 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone up in Orewa/Hatfields Beach area?

Hi

I live up at Silverdale and have been here for 5 years, the year before that was in Albany.

Traffic is much heavier up here now that they are building the Millwater Estate and other estates too. It takes me approx 50-55 mins to drive from here to Takapuna in the morning. OH gets the bus - but thats not an option for you.

Its nice enough up here, nice to be close to the beach. It is generally an ageing population with a large number of retirement villages.

For schools, I can't advise as my girls are 24 & 26 but am sure there will be someone along that can help.

All in all, we have considered moving to the CBD on several occasions but are still here

Pros and cons to everywhere, but I love Orewa beach, great for dog walking, children playing, etc. Its very safe up here - little in the way of crime and Orewa centre is improving (albeit very very slowly)
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice

Thanks Sparkleydiva, appreciate your comments.. thanks for the speedy reply. Was surprised at an hour just to get to Takapuna... :-/ traffic is the one downside here, but it ain't gonna get any better in the near future!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:02 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome

Traffic is pretty awful, I have to leave the motorway at Greville Road and go down the East Coast Road as who knows how long it would take on the motorway Few weeks ago we took my Mum back to the airport and it took 2 hours to get there for 9am (Monday morning)

That said - we still haven't moved

Sometimes the travel is worth it for the benefits of the location. I love leaving Albany and driving through the rural bit before getting home.

We also have good day to day shopping up here now thanks to Countdown, Pak n Save and other stuff at Silverdale

Good luck -hope it works out for you

ps. Just an internet addict
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it.

Browns Bay is a pretty cool suburb - the town has everything you need and more - and I'd say has taken an upwards turn in the last couple of years. Before that, say 6-9 years ago, a few of the high street businesses closed and were only marginally replaced by 2 dollar stores, but there has been a nice resurgence since Deep Creek Brewery, the boardwalk etc.

I wouldn't move from there just to live by a beach in a not-as-good-suburb half an hour further up the road, personally.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:00 am
wish I wasn't here!

I agree that Hatfields isn't so great
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Anyone up in Orewa/Hatfields Beach area?

Cheers bearskin, yes our thoughts are there too... We do like the pubs in browns bay.. Or bars i should say. Speakers corner is good value for a pint too!!
Old Jun 4th 2014, 11:05 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone up in Orewa/Hatfields Beach area?

Where does Hatfield beach get its name from?
Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I think the local iwi used to grow hats in the fields up behind the beach - that was before Captain Cook built the State Highway of course.