Anyone travelled to NZ with young children

Anyone travelled to NZ with young children

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:03 am
Sly
Just Joined

Sly is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone travelled to NZ with young children

Hi everyone,
We ( my hubby and 8 month old ) are flying in January to Auckland via Langawki - I think its spelt- and would like to know of any tips from anyone else that has done this trip with such a young child.
We are really looking forward to NZ but have concerns for our baby on such a long journey. The journey from the part of Wales where we live to Heathrow will take 4 hours as well.
I am a RG Nurse and my OH is a plumber.
Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone travelled to NZ with young children

Hi, my top tip is Medised Infant.

Haven't done the New Zealand flight (will do that at Christmas) but have done several medium and long haul flights with my two children. Medised and Medised Infant are basically a paracetamol syrup (exactly the same as the hallowed Calpol) but with an antihystamine added. It is designed to act as a relief for cold symptoms but has the added effect of being a sedative. Our GP recommended it as a mild sedative when we were due to take the boys on an 8 hour flight.

We have given it to our son on flights before as the plane backs away from stand (but not before, in case you're delayed!) and within twenty minutes he's out for the count.

Make sure you get Medised Infant as its the one that's suitable for 3 months and over (but don't take my word for it, read the label and ask the pharmacist).

Other tips:

If you can pre-book, try and get bulkhead seats - a bit more room and no one in front of you - my eldest son (when he was 20 months old) spent approximately 6 hours on a flight back from Chicago jumping up and down on the seat tray - much to the annoyance of the man in front. Unfortunately, we were like two bits of chewed string by that point and didn't really give a monkeys (although I do feel very guilty about it now ). You may also be able to get a bulkhead cot for an eight month old - check with the airline.

What time's your flight? If you need to get to the airport early, I would seriously consider travelling down the night before. We've done this in the past and it is so much better to get up and have a good breakfast knowing that you will arrive at the airport fresh and relaxed. Premier Travel Inn (http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do) will do you a family room for about £60 at Heathrow. IMHO money well spent.

Other than that, Good Luck!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:13 am
Sly
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shortfatbloke

Haven't done the New Zealand flight (will do that at Christmas) but have done several medium and long haul flights with my two children. Medised and Medised Infant are basically a paracetamol syrup (exactly the same as the hallowed Calpol) but with an antihystamine added. It is designed to act as a relief for cold symptoms but has the added effect of being a sedative. Our GP recommended it as a mild sedative when we were due to take the boys on an 8 hour flight.

We have given it to our son on flights before as the plane backs away from stand (but not before, in case you're delayed!) and within twenty minutes he's out for the count.

Make sure you get Medised Infant as its the one that's suitable for 3 months and over (but don't take my word for it, read the label and ask the pharmacist).

Other tips:

If you can pre-book, try and get bulkhead seats - a bit more room and no one in front of you - my eldest son (when he was 20 months old) spent approximately 6 hours on a flight back from Chicago jumping up and down on the seat tray - much to the annoyance of the man in front. Unfortunately, we were like two bits of chewed string by that point and didn't really give a monkeys (although I do feel very guilty about it now ). You may also be able to get a bulkhead cot for an eight month old - check with the airline.

What time's your flight? If you need to get to the airport early, I would seriously consider travelling down the night before. We've done this in the past and it is so much better to get up and have a good breakfast knowing that you will arrive at the airport fresh and relaxed. Premier Travel Inn (http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do) will do you a family room for about £60 at Heathrow. IMHO money well spent.

Thanks SFB,
I had already thought about the Medised, I think it contains Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride which always sends little people to sleep. All your other tips are useful as well, especially the Hotel.
Ta again.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sly
done the flight twice now - once on a reccie with a 12month old, 2nd time for good with a 3yr old and a 15mth old - both times we feared the worse, both times we were pleasantly surprised.
We managed to get a bassinette first time and it was great - my son slept well in there (and he was a big baby) and it gave us time without him on one of our laps. The 2nd time we booked 4 seats - well worth the additional expense - the two of them curled up nicely between us and again slept really well.
We took along some new toys that we dispatched at prudent moments to provide interest and plenty of snacks - they weren't that impressed with the food - not such an issue with an 8month old!
The staff were great (Air NZ first time, Malaysian 2nd time) re: heating milk / washing bottles etc - just be warned when they heat a bottle it comes back hot so ask for it about 1/2 hour before you need it.
Also - the biggest thing for us was to go with the flow - we kept a general eye on UK time with regard to usual routines for milk / food but didn't stick to them - we just went with what the children indicated.
Finally, don't worry too much about them adapting to the change in time zone - they'll cope much better than you will! - we had the first night where they crashed really early and were up early, we then tried to work to our normal routine on the 2nd day and they dropped into it like a dream.
we toyed with medicating with phenergan but decided against it cos of possible side effects and just allowed them to deal with it as best they could.
Good luck
Vicki
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:34 am
Sly
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Sly
done the flight twice now - once on a reccie with a 12month old, 2nd time for good with a 3yr old and a 15mth old - both times we feared the worse, both times we were pleasantly surprised.
We managed to get a bassinette first time and it was great - my son slept well in there (and he was a big baby) and it gave us time without him on one of our laps. The 2nd time we booked 4 seats - well worth the additional expense - the two of them curled up nicely between us and again slept really well.
We took along some new toys that we dispatched at prudent moments to provide interest and plenty of snacks - they weren't that impressed with the food - not such an issue with an 8month old!
The staff were great (Air NZ first time, Malaysian 2nd time) re: heating milk / washing bottles etc - just be warned when they heat a bottle it comes back hot so ask for it about 1/2 hour before you need it.
Also - the biggest thing for us was to go with the flow - we kept a general eye on UK time with regard to usual routines for milk / food but didn't stick to them - we just went with what the children indicated.
Finally, don't worry too much about them adapting to the change in time zone - they'll cope much better than you will! - we had the first night where they crashed really early and were up early, we then tried to work to our normal routine on the 2nd day and they dropped into it like a dream.
we toyed with medicating with phenergan but decided against it cos of possible side effects and just allowed them to deal with it as best they could.
Good luck
Vicki
Thanks Vicki,
Were are using Malaysian as well and we hope they are going to be OK. They were by far the cheapest and in life you normally get what you pay for. Bottle washing (heat) tip another thing I hadnt thought of and the time zone thing - we will probably just do what you did and go with the flow,
Ta again V,
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:36 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shortfatbloke

Other tips:

They will do you a great deal on parking bunged in...PS you only pay for two weeks the rest is free
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:24 am
livewire

We did that trip too and stayed at the Andaman Hotel, our kids were older than yours though.

You can get cartons of ready made milk to take with you to Langkawi and you could use sterilising tablets for the bottles. I also used to take cans or jars of food with us when we travelled abroad as it was so much easier than trying to find babyfood.

It's quite hot and humid there so you need to be prepared for the heat. We used mozzie sprays when outside in the evenings as much of the hotel was in the open air.

Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:24 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sly
Thanks SFB,
I had already thought about the Medised, I think it contains Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride which always sends little people to sleep. All your other tips are useful as well, especially the Hotel.
Ta again.
I would just like to point out that between 1-2% of children are 'allergic' to this and thus it has the opposite effect on them - ie keeps them awake (as their body tries to fight it) instead of sending them to sleep!!!

I know this since this is the effect it has on my 5 year old. Thus it keeps her awake for 2-3 hours longer than if she hadn't had it! And then she doesn't sleep as well. If you really want to use sedatives, or think you might want to, please please ensure you try them out at home under normal bedtime conditions first. You really don't want strange reactions up in the air on a 26 hour flight.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future

I did this 2 years ago with my son who was 8 months at the time, and we were obviously worried as well. We flew Emirates who were excellent, and it went really well and we didn't use mediced or any tranqs! It was fine on the way back as well. We took cartoned baby milk and jars of food. I guess a lot is down to the temperament of the child. The best advice i could give and i would say it is absolutely essential is to make sure you get the bulkhead seats, that way you will get a basinet bed for the baby which will give you and the baby a rest.
We are also going in Jan this year to Auckland but we now have another addition so we will have a 1 yr old and a 2.5 yr old. We took them both to Canada in Aug and USA in Nov and both trips went fine, so by rights we are probably due a nightmare! Fingers crossed.
Hope it goes well.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:30 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Morning,

Just thought I'd post a quick update having returned this morning from our trip to NZ. The flight home was very long - 36 hours - so about 41 hours door to door. We had over 9 hours transit in Melbourne so had a trip to the city on the way back - lovely city but not ideal stopover for the children.

Anyway - great news - both our girls - 5 1/2 and just 4 were brilliant and I would not hesitate to go through in one go again. In fact we all suffered from no jet lag on the outward journey that I definiately think it was the right decision for us. Of course all kids are different.

Also, whilst our outbound flight didn't have that many children onboard, the return from Aus had 90 in economy which freaked the cabin crew a bit! So no need to worry about upsetting other travellers, no major probs from any of the kids - one young boy between 2 & 3 did cry a bit (say 1/2 hour) after every time he woke up!! He was only 2 rows in front of us, but bizarrely it didn't disturb the girls if they were sleeping but naturally woke a few adults. People are usually pretty understanding on flights.

And we didn't use any 'drugs' but we all took arnica and chamomile pills that you can buy in Boots or Health shops if interested.

Bye for now - Carmen.

Just wanted to offer some hopefully good news. Carmen.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Morning,

Just thought I'd post a quick update having returned this morning from our trip to NZ. The flight home was very long - 36 hours - so about 41 hours door to door. We had over 9 hours transit in Melbourne so had a trip to the city on the way back - lovely city but not ideal stopover for the children.

Anyway - great news - both our girls - 5 1/2 and just 4 were brilliant and I would not hesitate to go through in one go again. In fact we all suffered from no jet lag on the outward journey that I definiately think it was the right decision for us. Of course all kids are different.

Also, whilst our outbound flight didn't have that many children onboard, the return from Aus had 90 in economy which freaked the cabin crew a bit! So no need to worry about upsetting other travellers, no major probs from any of the kids - one young boy between 2 & 3 did cry a bit (say 1/2 hour) after every time he woke up!! He was only 2 rows in front of us, but bizarrely it didn't disturb the girls if they were sleeping but naturally woke a few adults. People are usually pretty understanding on flights.

And we didn't use any 'drugs' but we all took arnica and chamomile pills that you can buy in Boots or Health shops if interested.

Bye for now - Carmen.

Just wanted to offer some hopefully good news. Carmen.
Hi Carmen
glad the journey was all OK - I think that generally kids do surprise their parents with their ability to cope with difficult situations - we've had 3 positive trips with our children.
how did the trip go - if i remember rightly you were going to see whether it was time to return
Vicki
Old Jan 1st 2006, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Carmen
glad the journey was all OK - I think that generally kids do surprise their parents with their ability to cope with difficult situations - we've had 3 positive trips with our children.
how did the trip go - if i remember rightly you were going to see whether it was time to return
Vicki
Hi Vicki,

Trip was good thank you. No decisions about moving as of course there are pros and cons to staying or going (hubbie is the kiwi btw), will post on the trip if and when I get the chance. Of course these dark gloomy (UK winter)days aren't helping the feeling of being back much!! Happy New Year - Carmen.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Hi there. This might be too late but my number 1 advice (having done the trip twice with that age child - on my own) is to use a good backpack. I know you have hubby with you, but it's still so handy. I walked round and round the plane with my babies on my back getting them to sleep, and it's great for transit, no pushing buggies through crowds, and they can see all around them. I hated the thought of my babies crying on the plane to get to sleep and being stuck in the seat, this way I could stand at the back and rock while they dozed off on my back. No arm ache while holding them. Every plane I went on the air stewards would comment on it and wonder why other parents don't do the same. When it was food time I'd wander in to the cabin, put him on the floor in the backpack and feed him like that, the air stewards were quite happy to chat to us both while this was happening (choose a quiet time in between meals). It was also essential for me to get off the plane with all the bags to carry. Anyway, I couldn't have survived without this, but then I hate my kids crying and waking all the other babies. would prefer to be wandering around. good luck if you haven't already gone!!!