Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in TAURANGA?

Anyone in TAURANGA?

Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future
Default Anyone in TAURANGA?

Hi

My husband and I are hoping to move to Tauranga or near by, anyone there or can tell us about it.

Rental prices etc, distance by car from Auckland, facilities, house prices for buying, areas to avoid.

thanks

Nick
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:11 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in TAURANGA?

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hi

My husband and I are hoping to move to Tauranga or near by, anyone there or can tell us about it.

Rental prices etc, distance by car from Auckland, facilities, house prices for buying, areas to avoid.

thanks

Nick
Matua is nice. No real places to avoid as such. It used to take 4 hours to go from Tauranga to Auckland but over the years the roads have been straightened, widened and funny enough speed limits reduced. Can be done in 2 hours or less but better to take your time. Speed limit is enforced more than when I used to blat down state highway 1 at 200K.

Tauranga is sits across a bay from a small mountain called Mount Manganui which sticks out at the end of a pensulisua. If you love the beach you will love the place. Great fishing out at Mayor Island or just off Rabbit Island (used to swim out there).

Used to work in Auckland and commute on daily basis but you may find work locally - depends on what you do?

People are friendly - especially at New Years Eve. You will not have to slum it in Tauranga with regard good food, clean restaurants and good schools.

Things I miss are the ping pong ball drop, the king of the mount race, the ferry to tauranga from the mount, the old cinema with wooden seats and sand floor - saw the original Jaws in there.

Sorry got carried away remencing. You will love the place - alot of info on house prices can be found on the web. PM for any specifics.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Hi

thanks

Nick
Hi We have lived in Tauranga for 2years its a real nice place to live.You can buy a decent house from about $350.Most areas are ok but I would avoid Merrivale and parts of Gate Pa. Rentals are about $250 upwards depending on what you want.If you look on www.trademe.co.nz at the property section it will give you an idea of prices where people are selling privately . Auckland airport is a 2 1/2 hour drive. Good Luck .

Last edited by ex geordie; Mar 7th 2006 at 3:30 am.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard not to like the place to be honest.
It has a brilliant beach in the Mount nearby (Mt Maunganui), restaurants, good climate, not the easiest of commutes to Auckland though. Probably a good 3 hours to the city on a good day.
But overall, a fantastic place.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:21 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

For a daily updated rental list and house prices try www.eves.co.nz

Also check out an area called Te Puke. Prices there are starting to rise very quickly but if you look about still some bargains to be had. An area I would say avoid would be parts of Greerton.

For a decent rental you will pay about $350pw. Thats for a typical 3 bed 2 bath etc.

Like the others said its a crackin spot. Only draw back is work. You may find it hard at the start to find work unless you are in a demand trade. With the area is more word of mouth over advertising.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Anyone in TAURANGA?

Originally Posted by scottish
For a daily updated rental list and house prices try www.eves.co.nz

Also check out an area called Te Puke. Prices there are starting to rise very quickly but if you look about still some bargains to be had. An area I would say avoid would be parts of Greerton.

For a decent rental you will pay about $350pw. Thats for a typical 3 bed 2 bath etc.

Like the others said its a crackin spot. Only draw back is work. You may find it hard at the start to find work unless you are in a demand trade. With the area is more word of mouth over advertising.
Thanks everyone, useful to know we have picked a good spot. We are lucky enough to have work all but arranged in Tauranga as we are both nurses and there are plenty of vacancies in this field.

What on earth is pin pong drop? Should I be telling immigration this is the reason we need to ccome to NZ?!

Cheers Nick and Charlie
Old Mar 7th 2006, 11:42 am
Just Joined

TillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really nice

Thanks everyone, useful to know we have picked a good spot. We are lucky enough to have work all but arranged in Tauranga as we are both nurses and there are plenty of vacancies in this field.

What on earth is pin pong drop? Should I be telling immigration this is the reason we need to ccome to NZ?!

Cheers Nick and Charlie

OMG..how good it is to read something upbeat AT LAST. NZ sounds like hell on earth....no money, no food, awful weather,DV,miserable people...and so on.We never had rose tinted glasses but I didn't need my eyes pinned open to the horrors that await us.
After 2 years planning/research and 6 weeks fact finding in Tauranga last August we(me, my husband and 3 children) are at the point of submitting our ITA this week. However, 2 weeks ago I discovered this wretched site looking for practical advice on our move and now I seriously wonder what on earth we are letting ourselves in for.
What I can't understand is why, if it is so bad, are you lot still living there? Why not go home, wherever that may be?
Incidently, we loved Tauranga . If we do ever get there and that feels such a big IF now, we will get in touch.
Hope you are really happy there...I am sure you will be....we made some good Kiwi friends just in our short time there and are still in touch.
Keep smiling because according to this forum it won't last long!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:09 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyB
OMG..how good it is to read something upbeat AT LAST.
Tilly - Don't get disheartened.

There are plenty of people who have moved there and love it. Some post on this forum, others don't. In fact it's really a good sign that Biddy, Bookemjano & Joshlin to name only 3 post much less frequently now as they are there and loving it.

And naturally there are people who then don't like it or love it but are struggling financially.

There are a couple of other good sites for those thinking of moving to NZ and whilst I love this one, the others are considerably more positive, helpful and friendly for some reason. My opinion only, no disrespect to anyone intended. Perhaps these would be helpful to you.

Finally, don't be afraid to follow your own dream from just a few weeks on one internet forum. At least with your eyes open to potential pitfalls, you will be more prepared for what life throws at you, in NZ or otherwise. Your 6 week trip to NZ will also have been extremely helpful. Listen to your gut instinct is what I would say and good luck. Carmen.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:30 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Tauranga aint bad quiet the opposite we just ran of of money Im afraid.... quite a long run of bad luck and perhaps couldnt see the good from the bad.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hi,

We made the move never having been to NZ at all and Dave got a job offer in Mount Maunganui (mentioned in an earlier reply) Luckily for us, Tauranga was one of 2 places in NZ that I really fancied, and here we are.

We live in Papamoa (pretty much next door suburb to the Mount) which is a great area for young families. Lots of newish housing. We have been here 2 months now, and really like it. Financially things are a bit tight, but then they were in the UK too, so we are no worse off in that respect.

As others have said it is a fair drive to Auckland, but we were driven here through some fantastic scenery.

When you get here, send me a message if you fancy meeting up.

Good luck.

Kathryn
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:31 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kathm
Hi,

We made the move never having been to NZ at all and Dave got a job offer in Mount Maunganui (mentioned in an earlier reply) Luckily for us, Tauranga was one of 2 places in NZ that I really fancied, and here we are.

We live in Papamoa (pretty much next door suburb to the Mount) which is a great area for young families. Lots of newish housing. We have been here 2 months now, and really like it. Financially things are a bit tight, but then they were in the UK too, so we are no worse off in that respect.

As others have said it is a fair drive to Auckland, but we were driven here through some fantastic scenery.

When you get here, send me a message if you fancy meeting up.

Good luck.

Kathryn
Hi Kathryn,

How's it going? Didn't realise you've been there 2 months. Have I missed some posts from you or are you too busy enjoying yourself over there? Kids & hubby happy? Would love to hear your news. pm me if you like and have the time. Carmen.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:55 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

OMG..how good it is to read something upbeat AT LAST. NZ sounds like hell on earth....no money, no food, awful weather,DV,miserable people...and so on.We never had rose tinted glasses but I didn't need my eyes pinned open to the horrors that await us.
After 2 years planning/research and 6 weeks fact finding in Tauranga last August we(me, my husband and 3 children) are at the point of submitting our ITA this week. However, 2 weeks ago I discovered this wretched site looking for practical advice on our move and now I seriously wonder what on earth we are letting ourselves in for.
What I can't understand is why, if it is so bad, are you lot still living there? Why not go home, wherever that may be?
Incidently, we loved Tauranga . If we do ever get there and that feels such a big IF now, we will get in touch.
Hope you are really happy there...I am sure you will be....we made some good Kiwi friends just in our short time there and are still in touch.
I must admit I was SO looking forward to moving to NZ. Then we found this site and I started to think that our new life might not be so great after all. But in saying that it does help to be realistic when moving to a new country. I'm glad I read all these threads and was prepared for a new life that wasn't going to be all sunshine and roses. We are here now and we love it. Kids are happy. Only downside is the wages, but just means we have to try a little harder in watching what we spend. Apart from that I wouldn't change a thing. Go for it - I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Sue
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Nick and Charlie
What field of nursing are you both in.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boopy
What field of nursing are you both in.
Hi

I'm currently a ward sister on a medical admission unit and Charlie is a charge nurse in A+E.

Both of us happy to start back at bottom.

You?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever heard of ther Venus Fly trap plant? Sure you have, well like that plant NZ works on the same basis.
Once you have lost your capital coming out here, you become financially trapped here to ever return to anywhere.
Dont knock people who come out here and do leave (which is 50% by the way) neither knock people who are trapped here through circumstances.
You never know, you may be one of the unlucky 50% that finds they want to leave and cant!
By all accounts only read the good things about NZ, in your opinion, its all that matters and all the negative things about NZ shouldn't be said?
Mmmm....can see you lasting here! Not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.