British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone struggling to find a job? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-struggling-find-job-700592/)

Chrisbower Jan 14th 2011 4:59 am

Anyone struggling to find a job?

It just seems like im never gonna get a job at this rate. I live in Tauranga and the lack of jobs here is disgraceful. Iv applied for alsorts, mcdonalds, domins, BK, IT jobs, cafe assistants ect but you either dont hear anything back from them or all i get is "thanks for applying but unfortunately we will not be progressing with your application".

My mum seems to think that companies are always going to give priority to people from NZ over us pommys etc, and im not being racist but you always see indians working at this fast food places and supermarkets. How the hell do they get all the jobs and none of us pommys do! I can say, in my 6 months of living in Tauranga, iv never once been served by an english person in ANY shops/bars/cafes/fast food/supermakets.

BEVS Jan 14th 2011 6:05 am

Re: Anyone struggling to find a job?

From memory Phonejunky are your parents. Right?

You're young. You're single. You're a bloke. Have you thought about moving area at all?

I'd say strike out and go have some fum taking up some temp jobs . Or go where the apprenticeships are somewhere in New Zealand. You can always move somewhere else later on.

It is all too easy to get bogged down in a place. Friends. Family. If it ain't working. Move.

P18PPS Jan 14th 2011 6:07 am

Maybe politely 'hassle' people - a friend of mine had a delivery vacancy in his company, he had some ridiculous amount of applications (70 plus), he declined a whole batch based on different reasons, one guy took it upon himself to pick up the phone and further question why he'd been declined and managed to sweet talk my friend into giving him a job.

Show willing, maybe offer to do a week's trial for free, and keep knocking on the door somewhere if it's a place you really would like to work.

I doubt it's racist that other people are getting jobs - it's more likely to be someone who knows someone who knows someone ..... but if you keep the communication lines open with companies whom you'd really like to work for then eventually YOU become the someone who is known by someone.

I talk from experience in recruitment in the fallout of a recession.

Good luck.

BEVS Jan 14th 2011 6:18 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 9100561)
I doubt it's racist that other people are getting jobs

Not so sure on that one TBH . Not so much the racist thing. More the speech accent and where you are from thing. That type of stuff. Seen it here too, so know it exists.

.....it's more likely to be someone who knows someone who knows someone .....
Totally agree with this. Be in it , somehow or other, to win it. Jobs are passed from people to families - to people to families. I will add , it is no matter what age you are.

You will have to be aggressive and in the faces of your friend's families etc. It is a pecking order.

I feel you need to decide your next 12 months.

If it was me at 20. I'd go have fun somewhere here or elsewhere in the world.

Give us your thoughts. You have lots of people yu have never met wanting you to be happy and have a wonderful young life.

P18PPS Jan 14th 2011 6:45 am

There may be some employers that are racist - but this can go on anywhere in the world.

What I have come to conclude is that your work experience in your pre-NZ life is worth diddly-squat. Kiwi employers need you to prove yourself from scratch out here (this I will add is the same whether your an immigrant or a returning Kiwi). I've seen many friends flip between jobs after a few months frustrated because they're not progressing, whereas those that stick at it find themselves after a couple of years flying up through the ranks.

Really I think you have to be prepared to start way below your capabilities and be persistent and consistent.

BEVS Jan 14th 2011 6:57 am

Agreed . You have to take what you can & hope to build in that.

I'm not interested in elsewhere in the world these days We live here and ChrisBower lives here too. Yes. There will always be a slant towards the homegrown, unless they can't get anyone else for whatever reason.

I have to say though, I have never, ever seen a UK tradesman" flying through the ranks" hereabouts. Or for that matter , further afield. It's about who you know and who you are related to.Period.

We've been here nearly 7 years now and I have never seen any migrant "flipping between jobs" How wonderful if that were so. Most have been focussed in being able to bring in some sort of living wage & staying in their employment. I speak of tradies only ,of course.

This lad is 20. He should be having the time of his life.

Mate. Get out there.

custard creams Jan 14th 2011 7:26 am

Hi, can you travel to TePuke (only 10mins from Papamoa)? plenty of kiwi fruit jobs there.
What line of work are you looking for? May be able to help.:fingerscrossed:

Jan n Neil Jan 14th 2011 8:19 am

I had a nightmare getting a decent job and i,m 41 with the best CV in the world (maybee) in the end i got a decent number by "knowing somebody" i had a real hard time with it but it's just the way it works here

Neil

Chrisbower Jan 14th 2011 11:30 am

Bevs, with regards to moving to somewere different. Iv thought of that but like you say, Iv made a good circle of friends here and got to know my way around Tauranga well.

With regards to getting a job, I completed an apprenticeship in IT in the UK which took me 3 years, plus the 3 years work experience as an IT support technician. If im going to get any job, i think iv got the best chance getting an IT job for while. There are loads around new zealand, especially Auckland and Wellington, plus a fair few in the south island.

Would you suggest applying for as many as possible regardless of location, and just move to where ever i land a job?

Gizmo27 Jan 14th 2011 6:40 pm

I can sympathise with you as I am in the same situation (All be it slightly older!). I am temping at the moment and applying for every job I can hoping that something will come of it.

My 6+ years of multi-million pound projects experience ammounts to diddly-squat in NZ, and I have to start from the ground up again. Annoying thing is, my Bro had a high rolling job less than a month after arriving in NZ. I know of a few other people who have been fortunate like that as well.

Just not me :frown:

Different people, different skills, different job markets I guess.

P18PPS Jan 14th 2011 6:44 pm

If you're happy where you are then stay put. Tauranga is a major centre (given not as big as Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch), but a centre where there will be the need for IT staff. You could always target the local main businesses whom you know to have IT departments. Have you signed up with agencies? There will always be casual/contract work (even if it's just a 2 week job here and there). Also local smaller businesses are always on the lookout for reliable IT people who can come in and fix stuff for them on an adhoc basis - maybe put your card on the boards of local supermarkets?

RobDon Jan 14th 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 9100712)
I had a nightmare getting a decent job and i,m 41 with the best CV in the world (maybee) in the end i got a decent number by "knowing somebody" i had a real hard time with it but it's just the way it works here

Neil

This happened to OH too :(
He is now thankfully in a job he enjoys :D
Completely agree with Neil though, its not what you know but who you know here! :eek:

Justcol Jan 14th 2011 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisbower (Post 9100985)
Would you suggest applying for as many as possible regardless of location, and just move to where ever i land a job?

YES!!
Apply for anything and everything, if it means moving then so be it.
You want to work you've got to go where the work is.
Have you thought about setting up in business yourself?
plenty of people want PC's cleaning/fixing/setting up.
Try Geeks on wheels. They havent got anyone covering BOP so you could
buy into that? its an option!!

rezxx37 Jan 14th 2011 8:16 pm

Yeap. that's right. i replaced with an indian in 2008. know why? because of the rate. doesn't matter from where or which part u r.

JohnThePom Jan 15th 2011 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Gizmo27 (Post 9101846)
My 6+ years of multi-million pound projects experience ammounts to diddly-squat in NZ, and I have to start from the ground up again. Annoying thing is, my Bro had a high rolling job less than a month after arriving in NZ. I know of a few other people who have been fortunate like that as well.

Just not me :frown:

Different people, different skills, different job markets I guess.

Yep and a bit of luck. It's taken me a few months to return to being a wageslave. I've got to confess that after the first two months I could feel my perky resolve starting to waver. Persistence pays off, but it's hard to deal with the disappointments when they (inevitably) happen.

The more channels you open the more chance you've got. I'd suggest letting everybody you know that you're searching for a job and getting all of them to talk to who they know - ask them to. Follow up every opportunity, keep a diary of where you've applied and when, chase people up. Get out there and do some proactive applications i.e. send a letter and your CV to places that aren't looking for people, but might realistically employ someone with your skills. Get registered with agencies - they can be a nightmare to deal with, but they do sometimes get people work - and chase them up too - don't let them forget that you're looking. I had more frustrating interviews with agencies than employers, but one of them eventually got me the interview that got me a job.

Yes a lot of attempts and approaches will be dead ends, but you only need one offer. Someone I know suggested advertising yourself in the local paper...can't say I've tried it myself but...

JTP aka WP