Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone sorting worldly goods out now?

Anyone sorting worldly goods out now?

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

dollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone sorting worldly goods out now?

Hi, just need a breather. I'm finding it very hard to de-clutter the house ready for estate agents photos, and deciding what's to go to the tip, charity shop, car boot, or with us to NZ!
After many years of accumulating, and inheriting 'stuff ', I have a major amount of deciding what goes where! Anyone else at this stage too?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

squiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone sorting worldly goods out now?

LOL.....
We have just booked,removals for quotes....:
Been selling loads on ebay,so anything that is left will be off to charity shops and the tip....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:03 pm
Tracey and Chris

traceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to all

Hi,
I am way ahead as OH has only just been made a job offer and we are only at the beginning of the visa application stage. I am already sorting through my things and - like you - am quickly making three piles of stuff - one for the things we are taking with us, one for car boot and one for charity / throw away!
I am actually enjoying it and am having a major spring clean! (Must be mad i think!) Not sure my partner is enjoying it much when he comes home to find the house upside down though!
I think moving abroad is an excellent chance to get rid of all that clutter and reassess what is important to you!
Good luck with it all and take regular breaks (including tea and chocolate! to get you through!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

I de-cluttered when we moved out of our house into rented and now I'm thinking about removals, it looks like a further de-clutter is required - WILL IT NEVER END
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

dollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the roughdollyhill is a jewel in the rough

Ahh yes tea and chocolate, that's another thing that has happened to me, I can't stop eating ! Major munchies at the moment for anything sweet and bad for the health.
By the way, this is the stage we are at,OH has just accepted a job offer, paperwork has gone off into this weeks pool, he has medical on friday. Already had one shipping quote, more booked, and the house is going up for sale this week. And my dog might be pregnant.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Our house went on the market on Sunday. Shippers booked. Hired a skip a few weeks ago. Only emptied garage and garden - doing the house bit by bit. As all the junk in our loft is likely to crash through the ceiling at any given moment, that is our next task. however, the lure of Chocolate biccies, Yorkshire tea, and the Expats site is just too much at the moment!!! I just can't face any more de-junking. How I have managed to hoard so much tat I will never know.

Good look de-clutterers one and all.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Reading all your posts, brings it all back to me ! all that sorting out, worrying what to take. Dont worry though it all comes together and before you know it, you will be in NZ and its great here.

Good Luck to you all moving here

Last edited by Steve and Julie; Apr 23rd 2008 at 7:09 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

It brings it all back to me to! LOL We got rid of loads of stuff but I am sure when our container arrives next week there will still be loads of rubbish and another load for the tip! We had two carboots and made about 400 quid so that wasn't bad for a couple of hours work and stuff that would have been rubbish anyway.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough

It's a nightmare - I'm trapped under cardboard boxes and plastic bags...

We've lived in this house for 10 years and I can't believe the amount of tat we've got - thank goodness for Freecycle (people will take the weirdest stuff!) and the local recycling/charity shops.
I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end.
I can't even take solice in chocolate biscuits as I'm on a health kick before the medicals. Somehow a bowl of salad isn't quite as comforting...
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

We are in the early stages of decluttering. Looking at a move in november. Wife has been putting stuff on ebay and now the rugby season has finished will be doing car boots. I still cannot believe the amount of crap the wife has collected over the years. Its a good job we have a big garden as this 5th november we will be having the biggest bonfire you have ever seen. Richard.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Starting to clear out bit by bit ,OH not too happy as off for 2 weeks in May before starts new job and having to go up into the loft to start the clear out. Been in this house 13 years and I am sure I still have things in the original boxes from moving in Feel that if we start now and do it bit by bit by the time we are due to move it should be less stressful.....I hope

Phyllis
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I think it's time we moved again and had another good clear out. Somehow we have accumulated far more toot here in NZ than we had before we came. I loved sorting out all the gear though, as it was really motivational and we knew it was all for a good reason. Very therapeutic too, getting rid of so much baggage, in both senses of the word. In times of stress waiting for house sale to go through I would pace the house manically looking for something else I could pack or throw away. It helped me to stay in control.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
Reading all your posts, brings it all back to me ! all that sorting out, worrying what to take. Dont worry though it all comes together and before you know it, you will be in NZ and its great here.

Good Luck to you all moving here
Hi I am new to this site! We are hoping to come to live in Tauranga in about 12 - 18 months. Hubby is a builder I am a yoga teacher. waiting for a good time for the kids to come (now 14 and 17) so they will be finished school and college. Whats the area like for teenagers. My daughter will be going to school over there.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou

Our house went on the market on Sunday. Shippers booked. Hired a skip a few weeks ago. Only emptied garage and garden - doing the house bit by bit. As all the junk in our loft is likely to crash through the ceiling at any given moment, that is our next task. however, the lure of Chocolate biccies, Yorkshire tea, and the Expats site is just too much at the moment!!! I just can't face any more de-junking. How I have managed to hoard so much tat I will never know.

Good look de-clutterers one and all.
Hi we are also from the west midlands. Been to nz last xmas and are hoping to go to live in tauranga in 12 - 18 months. We are just about to put house on the market and will rent if it sells quickly. good luck with yours.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Hello Lindsay Loo,

We are in Walsall, and are going to Wellington in October. Not been before, but feel sure it is the right move for us.

Did you travel all over NZ or just focus on the North Island? I love the look of the Bay of Plenty, but OH convinced no IT jobs there (he is a city boy hence Wellington!)

Good luck with your house too!!!

PL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.