Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone Sold lately???????

Anyone Sold lately???????

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Sold lately???????

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
where i'm from it's not that end of the market that's having a problem...you'd just about get a one bedroom flat for that. it's the houses over 300k that are struggling so lets hope they axe it for all properties
To be honest, that shows how out of kilter prices are down south and in the London area. The house I'm selling is decent sized 3 bedroom with garage in a small village surrounded by countryside.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:12 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Dorset prices i see are still to high and we left over 3 years ago, we were lucky and caught the tale end of the market at its highest, i remember the negitive equity we went through in the late 80s, bought a 1 bed purpose built flat for 54,950 and sold it six years later for 34,950, and we had a chain of 8 houses and we were at the end of the chain, it all went through, and over the next 8 years we managed to get a lot of equity and sold it to finance thr move over here, but now things are slowing up and the reccession is starting to bite, so we will see what out views of the houses prices and UK in general when we visit in December.

I feel for all of you who are struggling to sale in UK, but its happening here to, its a buyers market.

Good luck to you all from NZ
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Dorset prices i see are still to high and we left over 3 years ago, we were lucky and caught the tale end of the market at its highest, i remember the negitive equity we went through in the late 80s, bought a 1 bed purpose built flat for 54,950 and sold it six years later for 34,950, and we had a chain of 8 houses and we were at the end of the chain, it all went through, and over the next 8 years we managed to get a lot of equity and sold it to finance thr move over here, but now things are slowing up and the reccession is starting to bite, so we will see what out views of the houses prices and UK in general when we visit in December.

I feel for all of you who are struggling to sale in UK, but its happening here to, its a buyers market.

Good luck to you all from NZ
Hey fooferfish,

We are in Dorset (weymouth) and yes the prices have rocketed but are dropping! We had to knock £60k off our realistic asking price to sell our home (just managed to sell before it went really silly). We don't want to buy when we get over to NZ cos we don't want to tie ourselves to one area, but do we buy cos the market dictates and hope that prices rise enough so we can sell again when we decide to move? Decisions Decisions. I'm sure we could get a great bargain, but once we've tied the money in, that's it!

Where in Dorset did you live? Any regrets about leaving it!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hippychic23
yep - have come to the conclusion my house is just TOO good for everyone!!! (well, I love it - ha ha). It is a real shame - a lot of this 'credit crunch' is media created - if they didnt rub your nose in the fact that there are no houses selling and the price is dropping....dropping, then i really believe that people would not be as scared to commit to another property as they now are, i have a strong urge to swear at the tv broadcasters..... wont do any good, except make me feel a bit better.
the only positive thing i have is that if something is worth doing - it is worth fighting for, so we are going to have such a WONDERFUL new life - that this stress is going to be worth it in the end. I would also rather rent my house out, and sell it eventually to the people that it is right for, who will love it as we all have, rather than drop the price and regret it. Rental in NZ is good - you can look around and choose the perfect one to buy in the right area when the time is right.... does that all sound over optimistic?? good, thats how i need to feel right now... oh great, more paperwork to plough through before we get into the country.... sigh

Hi

We have had enough of keeping the house tidy! and have had enough of people plodding through our house. Like you, we feel our home is too bloody good to give away at a silly price, and the press are a pain in the neck.
The rental market is now becoming flooded, so we could be trapped

It may be a case of keeping afloat at the moment.

NZ seems a million more miles away every day.

Jads
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:17 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Elsie,

Live in Poole all my life for 38 years then dicided needed a change,May 05 landed in Dunedin South Island, a world away from the bling of Poole, all those multi million dollar house we built on Sandbanks peninsula ay ?

Will be back in Poole this Christmas after nearly 4 years away to see folks, you certainly know how far you are away from UK when you move down this end of world and flights cost you $8.5 k for 3 of us return.

Will be nice to see Dorset again, spent many a happy weekend in Weymouth, got a mate who is a Policeman( dog Patrol) lives not far from city centre, will be down that way to catch up with him.

Miss the Dorset countryside and the history very much, nothing like that in NZ,. no theme parks or Zoos well not down here, we dont need them but NZ is def slower pace of life than UK, have not been in a traffic jams since being here, and population is so low, hardly any crime and people still leave their doors open/unlocked.

Where abouts are you looking to move to, Not Auckland i hope, why do so many people head there ??

Nige, Dunedin May 05
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
To be honest, that shows how out of kilter prices are down south and in the London area. The house I'm selling is decent sized 3 bedroom with garage in a small village surrounded by countryside.
We have sold in Sheffield and are now in rented. Ours was a 3 bed detached on the edge of Derbyshire.There are a lot of houses on the market at present but you do have to price at a level that will attract interest and offers. I know it sometimes isn't as easy as all that but there are still quite a few houses of different sizes and prices selling. Those that have been stuck on the market are often not realistically priced.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We've been trying to sell our 3 bed semi in Herts since Jan (yes, we've dropped the price 60K and changed agents) - we've just had our 4th lot of people who would love to buy it .... but they can't sell theirs - because there are no first time buyers. The stamp duty threashold rise doesn't make any difference to most people in the South East- £175,000 doesn't get you anything!!! The problem is the first-time buyers can't afford the 20% deposits the banks are demanding.

The banks must wake up and realise they need mortgage business to survive - and the media must stop being so negative - then maybe one day we may get to NZ!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Hi Elsie,

Live in Poole all my life for 38 years then dicided needed a change,May 05 landed in Dunedin South Island, a world away from the bling of Poole, all those multi million dollar house we built on Sandbanks peninsula ay ?

Will be back in Poole this Christmas after nearly 4 years away to see folks, you certainly know how far you are away from UK when you move down this end of world and flights cost you $8.5 k for 3 of us return.

Will be nice to see Dorset again, spent many a happy weekend in Weymouth, got a mate who is a Policeman( dog Patrol) lives not far from city centre, will be down that way to catch up with him.

Miss the Dorset countryside and the history very much, nothing like that in NZ,. no theme parks or Zoos well not down here, we dont need them but NZ is def slower pace of life than UK, have not been in a traffic jams since being here, and population is so low, hardly any crime and people still leave their doors open/unlocked.

Where abouts are you looking to move to, Not Auckland i hope, why do so many people head there ??

Nige, Dunedin May 05

Hi fooferfish,

Yep you are right, the bling of poole does have it's charm doesn't it!!
I have to say I don't think I'm going to miss the daily 1.5 hr commute from weymouth every day (23 miles)!! though.

We are going to Cambridge, hopefully landing 10 Nov!! We loved it there when we were over in Feb! felt just like a smarter version of parkstone!

You will probably see a massive change in poole, loads of new builds on the quay etc and town centre full of chavs! Ha Ha.

Enjoy your trip!

Elsie
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

toetickler is an unknown quantity at this point

yes yes yes! we have just accepted our 2nd offer today from someone who has sold!!!! (have been on the market 2 months). so you never know. they want to move in 6 weeks so now we are going to live with the parents! of course i may be back on next week as it could all have fallen through (previous sale took 5 buyers before we made it too completion). I just had to tell people as we aren't saying anything this end until we are out the door, expcept to my parents obviously.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by toetickler
yes yes yes! we have just accepted our 2nd offer today from someone who has sold!!!! (have been on the market 2 months). so you never know. they want to move in 6 weeks so now we are going to live with the parents! of course i may be back on next week as it could all have fallen through (previous sale took 5 buyers before we made it too completion). I just had to tell people as we aren't saying anything this end until we are out the door, expcept to my parents obviously.
well hope it all goes ok ! we have been on for 11 weeks now, only one veiwing but as we are still waiting for job offer we are just waiting to see what happens. Just keep your fingers crossed. I hope it all works out. we havent said anything to anyone except close family about emigrating either, its bad enough with the roller coaster ride as it is.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU, all the best natalie
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by toetickler
Congratulations on the house sale, when are you aiming to go to NZ and whereabouts.

Did you drop the price by much?

Cheers Jads
Old Sep 6th 2008, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

We dropped £10,000 as they already have a buyer, which we didn't really want to do as we hadn't left a lot of room for negotiation already, but we decicded what would be the chance of another offer coming our way any time soon. And guess what we recieved a higher offer today but they still have to sell so we are sticking with the original ones. Our time scale is a bit up in the air as we put applying for jobs on hold as we thought it would take ages to sell the house, particulary as all viewings to date had been so negative about the area (no local ammenities within walking distance) so now it is all systems go. My OH is with the police so applying to them. He just has to fly to Auckland and spend 3 weeks having interviews and health and fitness tests and then get a job offer and then we can start on the visa's. So not a lot to do.
In the mean time i have to sit an exam to get registered with podiatry board just in case it all goes a bit pete tong and then i can be the main applicant and he can reapply when we get their. As for where we will end up we don't know. We have an idea where we would like to go but at the end of the day there has to be a vacancy so we might end up anywhere. I think napier and hastings, followed by wanganui and then dunedin is the current choice. I think i have bored you senseless with that essay. sorry
Rosie
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the rough

hi rosie
keep us posted how you get on. i dont think there is a right way round to do it, if you had the job offer you might be stuck trying to sell, so its best to do what you think is right for you at that time. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
all the best natalie
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Angry Re: Anyone Sold lately???????

Well what did i say, our buyers have just pulled, for goodness knows what reason. So one down and how many more buyers to go. We still have 2 other parties interested but they still have to sell. AAAAAHHHHHH!!! it has been a really crap day my son has had childhood diarreah for 6 months and we just thought it was going and it came back today and my OH has MAN flu the fatal kind, and i HAVE now lost the paddle to the bread maker and the kitchen is now a tip from looking for it but it has to be there somewhere and i think i am just going to sod it and have a beer with the cat.

Ahh that feels better Thanks for listening
Rosie (slightly demented).
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

hi rosie
you will look back on today, and realise that things seem to happen for reasons, sounds strange i know but it is better that it happened now than when you were further down the line. I know that may sound rather callous and really not what you want to hear sorry. Something better will come along.
all the best to you