Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

anyone shipped their car?

anyone shipped their car?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough
Default anyone shipped their car?

Hi guys, just wondered if any of you shipped your cars out and if so, how easy was it. I have an Audi A6 (2001) 2.5tdi SE and cos of the current climate for selling stuff I am struggling to get a fair price for it. I have been quoted £2000 to ship it out . Just wondered if any of you could advise if 1. It's a good idea to take it and 2. How easy is it to sort out the process for getting it checked for emissions etc. Sorry, but our furniture gets shipped next week and we are flying out 6 Nov so I need to know if it can all be sorted quickly!

Thanks guys!!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 7:51 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone shipped their car?

It's pretty easy to do. Certification and checks and registration at this end cost about $800 total if I recall correctly.
I shipped my car and had some problems with it getting damaged by the shippers.
I always say unless you're really attached to it, don't bother.
It needs to be steam cleaned and have no dirt on (I assume the shipping cost covers this?)
If it fails the MAF inspection they charge you for another clean - mine passed so I don't know how much but I've heard of sums of around $600
Also what about shipping insurance? My car cost GBP700 to insure en-route.

Are you really losing out by more than 3 thousand quid on the sale?

If it's around that figure I'd say leave the car, you don't need the hassle when settling into a new country!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

elsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the roughelsieB is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RobClubley
It's pretty easy to do. Certification and checks and registration at this end cost about $800 total if I recall correctly.
I shipped my car and had some problems with it getting damaged by the shippers.
I always say unless you're really attached to it, don't bother.
It needs to be steam cleaned and have no dirt on (I assume the shipping cost covers this?)
If it fails the MAF inspection they charge you for another clean - mine passed so I don't know how much but I've heard of sums of around $600
Also what about shipping insurance? My car cost GBP700 to insure en-route.

Are you really losing out by more than 3 thousand quid on the sale?

If it's around that figure I'd say leave the car, you don't need the hassle when settling into a new country!
Thanks,

I suppose it's just hard when you know what you paid for a vehicle letting it go cheap! I think I will probably try and take any offer, it sounds like it may be more hassle than I thought.
Not sure I fancy the insurance costs on top of shipping!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:33 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elsieB
Thanks,

I suppose it's just hard when you know what you paid for a vehicle letting it go cheap! I think I will probably try and take any offer, it sounds like it may be more hassle than I thought.
Not sure I fancy the insurance costs on top of shipping!
The other consideration is that your dash will be in miles, which might affect the resale value later on. Maybe not, I don't know
I got my trip computer converted to km but you can't change the dials very easily.

You're right though it is painful taking a loss on cars!