Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

anyone recommend using a consultant?

anyone recommend using a consultant?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

himmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant future
Question anyone recommend using a consultant?

Hi all
My name is Tracey and my family & I live in the uk.Under the advice of a consultancy firm we have just put our house of 17 years on the market.:eek
I was wondering if any one would share their exoeriences and thoughts on using a consultancy firm.My husband is a panel beater and we thought that the use of their services may secure employment for us as we are at a loss of how to do it ourselves?However the figure we have been quoted for assistance with job searching and application amounts to approx £6000 which we felt was a lot.Can anyone let me know what they think please.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:22 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: anyone recommend using a consultant?

Save your money. You will need it here when you arrive in New Zealand. 6,000 -- wow!

You can apply on your own. You can have most of your immigration questions answered here on this forum. Of course, do your own due diligence to verify the advice given here. Research your options by looking at the New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) website, perhaps going to a New Zealand Expo and contacting potential employers in New Zealand.

Bloody hell! That's over NZ$15,000! Your 'consultant' is looking to play you like a fish.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

himmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant futurehimmeus has a brilliant future

Thank you soo much for your reply.Initially we believed that it was the only way to go but since I have been doing the research I have began to question 1. the neccesity and 2.the cost.I felt it was something I could do but thought that maybe they could do it qucker.However after reading this forum for a while I have began to think that a consultant will only take my money for the work I willhave to do anyway.Is it worth me e mailing prospective when we dont have a work permit ?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by himmeus View Post
Thank you soo much for your reply.Initially we believed that it was the only way to go but since I have been doing the research I have began to question 1. the neccesity and 2.the cost.I felt it was something I could do but thought that maybe they could do it qucker.However after reading this forum for a while I have began to think that a consultant will only take my money for the work I willhave to do anyway.Is it worth me e mailing prospective when we dont have a work permit ?
Excellent. Seriously, the 6,000 you quoted is an obscene amount for something that you have to do almost all of the legwork. All the consultant can do is fill in your forms and try to set up a few job interviews that you have to interview for anyway. They may promise you all kinds of results, but the truth is you will be judged by NZIS on the merits of your application, not if the consultant has some sort of pull with someone on the 'inside.'
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:56 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

£ thousands for a consultant ?

IMHO, and it is only my opinion, save the money you would spend on a consultant and fly the husband over to secure a face to face job offer.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Everyone here is friendly and helpful so you should be able to do your paperwork yourself and ask here if you have any questions.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

thank you your replies already indicate how much help this forum will be to me and how friendly you all are
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by himmeus View Post
Hi all
My name is Tracey and my family & I live in the uk.Under the advice of a consultancy firm we have just put our house of 17 years on the market.:eek
I was wondering if any one would share their exoeriences and thoughts on using a consultancy firm.My husband is a panel beater and we thought that the use of their services may secure employment for us as we are at a loss of how to do it ourselves?However the figure we have been quoted for assistance with job searching and application amounts to approx £6000 which we felt was a lot.Can anyone let me know what they think please.
Hi and welcome Tracy and family,yes,save your money all the forms are quite striaght forward. Thier are plenty of job sites you can look at and hubby being a panel beater ive seen plenty of that job advertised.

Good luck any questions ask away,the people on this site are great and will help anyway they can.