British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone recently registered with the NZ teaching council? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-recently-registered-nz-teaching-council-931685/)

HeatherGirl Mar 13th 2020 9:31 am

Anyone recently registered with the NZ teaching council?

Hi folks,

The NZ teaching council are telling me I need to complete a teacher refresher course, despite having taught in Scotland for 5 years, 3 years as a PT.
I had NZ provisional registration in 2012 but since then have returned to the UK, got full GTCS registration and taught full time. I assume they have misunderstood this! I have even completed a second PGDE in Inclusive Education!
So my question is could anyone help me out with which form I should complete to apply?
Thanks for any advice!
HeatherGirl

Eleventhousandmiles Mar 31st 2020 7:46 pm

Re: Anyone recently registered with the NZ teaching council?

I haven't applied yet, but I am gathering my documents to send off my application. From my understanding you have registered previously, but need a practising certificate with overseas qualifications. It's the same form that I am completing, EC15 (the site wont let me post the URL)

Have you had your additional qualifications assessed? If not, you will also need to do this with the NZQA.

Hope this helps

Denise01292 Apr 24th 2020 4:35 am

Unfortunately, there are many hoops to jump through in NZ. If you have held provisional registration for more than six years (3 years, then allowed a 3 year extension) you will need to complete the teacher refresher course. I had to do this at my own expense ($4000), but a friend who completed it more recently than me, had it paid for. You then need to be mentored for 2 years.... if you can provide evidence of being mentored elsewhere then this may count towards 1 year of the 2.

HeatherGirl Apr 25th 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks for replying - I'm really hoping that I don't have to do a refresher given that I've been teaching full time in Scotland and have done a second PGDE uring my "break" from NZ. I know that teaching councils can be very rigid though so I guess we'll see. I'd probably be best giving them a call.

Denise01292 Apr 25th 2020 7:34 pm

Yeah, give them a call. I was full time teaching in Scotland too. I got my provisional registration sorted for NZ before I left, but I didn't start teaching straight away .... then we had earthquakes etc and it all went to pot. Meantime gather as much 'evidence' as you can!
All the best,
Denise