British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone in Rangiora or Kaiapoi? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-rangiora-kaiapoi-441137/)

TeamEmbo Apr 10th 2007 4:24 pm

Anyone in Rangiora or Kaiapoi?

Hi all. Looks like we're heading for Cch afterall. TBH just pleased we're heading anyone in NZ - am getting fed up with this long, dreary process :(

We don't want to live in Cch itself and heard that Rangiora and Kaiapoi were great places just outside with a 30-40 min commute but we didn't have time to explore them so would love to hear from anyone there or who has been there, good or bad, and any info on schools, housing, shops, etc would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Many thanks, Mandie & Mark

Apple12 Apr 10th 2007 7:45 pm

Re: Anyone in Rangiora or Kaiapoi?

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4622617)
Hi all. Looks like we're heading for Cch afterall. TBH just pleased we're heading anyone in NZ - am getting fed up with this long, dreary process :(

We don't want to live in Cch itself and heard that Rangiora and Kaiapoi were great places just outside with a 30-40 min commute but we didn't have time to explore them so would love to hear from anyone there or who has been there, good or bad, and any info on schools, housing, shops, etc would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Many thanks, Mandie & Mark

Hello, just a quick question, do you have any clue as to where your job is based? Sometimes it makes more sense to base yourself south-west or west rather than north, depending on any daily commute you may need to do.
South there is Lyttleton, Governers bay, South west there is Halswell or Lincoln, west there is Rolleston, north is Belfast, Kaiapoi and Rangiora.

The traffic heading from Kaiapoi and Rangiora into ChCh city is, I think, the worst in Canterbury, so if you are commuting into the centre of town it can be pretty bad, albeit in NZ terms. If traffic is one of your bugbears in the UK, why willingly do it to yourself if you work in the city centre.
Be aware that bus services to the towns can be sporadic so it is pretty tough unless you have a car per driver in your household.

It depends too on what sort of stuff you like to do to fill you leisure time as to where in Canty you would like to base yourselves.

sky Apr 10th 2007 9:39 pm

I've lived in Kaiapoi and Rangiora and Rangiora is loads better IMO. There is a regular bus service now from Rangiora to the city center :thumbsup: we're getting very civilised here now :D
Lots of folk have started car sharing too just to save costs but I know of loads of other folk who commute on their own and don't mind doing it ... small price to pay for living out of the city.
The townstreet here is lovely and on a night there's plenty of pubs and restaurants to go to, we even have our own little cinema which is about as big as a normal lounge lol so very cosy. We used to have this lovely outdoor swimming pool but it's been closed for the time being and they're building a new indoor one to replace it hopefully.
I wish we'd found Rangiora when we first arrived and had rented here from the off cos it just has a really nice feel and it would have saved us heaps of money.
You would prob be best to rent at first though just to see if it suits you, maybe you will hate it cos everyone's different aren't they :)

TeamEmbo Apr 11th 2007 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4623698)
I've lived in Kaiapoi and Rangiora and Rangiora is loads better IMO. There is a regular bus service now from Rangiora to the city center :thumbsup: we're getting very civilised here now :D
Lots of folk have started car sharing too just to save costs but I know of loads of other folk who commute on their own and don't mind doing it ... small price to pay for living out of the city.
The townstreet here is lovely and on a night there's plenty of pubs and restaurants to go to, we even have our own little cinema which is about as big as a normal lounge lol so very cosy. We used to have this lovely outdoor swimming pool but it's been closed for the time being and they're building a new indoor one to replace it hopefully.
I wish we'd found Rangiora when we first arrived and had rented here from the off cos it just has a really nice feel and it would have saved us heaps of money.
You would prob be best to rent at first though just to see if it suits you, maybe you will hate it cos everyone's different aren't they :)

We're hoping to have time - about a week - to go round before OH starts work. We like what we've been told so far about Rangiora. Do you know if there are many places to rent there? or an agency I could contact with my short list of a million or so questions?!

TeamEmbo Apr 11th 2007 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4623302)
Hello, just a quick question, do you have any clue as to where your job is based? Sometimes it makes more sense to base yourself south-west or west rather than north, depending on any daily commute you may need to do.
South there is Lyttleton, Governers bay, South west there is Halswell or Lincoln, west there is Rolleston, north is Belfast, Kaiapoi and Rangiora.

The traffic heading from Kaiapoi and Rangiora into ChCh city is, I think, the worst in Canterbury, so if you are commuting into the centre of town it can be pretty bad, albeit in NZ terms. If traffic is one of your bugbears in the UK, why willingly do it to yourself if you work in the city centre.
Be aware that bus services to the towns can be sporadic so it is pretty tough unless you have a car per driver in your household.

It depends too on what sort of stuff you like to do to fill you leisure time as to where in Canty you would like to base yourselves.

Hi, thanks for all the info, great stuff! Not bothered by the commute at all, our main priority is finding the right area to live in for us as a family. We much prefer the country and as long as civilisation is within a reasonable distance that'll suit us. Don't know exactly where OH will be working in Cch and won't till we get there. We have accommodation for the first two weeks and have the first week to ourselves to go round and see where we like. The main thing is finding a good high school for the kids and then a house in that area I guess.
Thanks for all your help :thumbup:

Apple12 Apr 11th 2007 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4626650)
We're hoping to have time - about a week - to go round before OH starts work. We like what we've been told so far about Rangiora. Do you know if there are many places to rent there? or an agency I could contact with my short list of a million or so questions?!

In my opinion, disregard please if you want to, it is much easier to do the scouting around and jobhunting if you base yourselves more centrally than Rangiora. If you don't know where the job will be, and this is your first peg in the sand, then if you start off within ChCh somewhere you will find it a lot easier to juggle appointments and interviews.

sky Apr 11th 2007 8:09 pm

Everyone will recommend Burnside High in the city center as the best you can send your kids to. My son goes to Rangiora high and is loving it ... you'll hear good and bad about the school but I am very happy with it. My son is very academic though so doesn't need pushing in any subjects and is in most top subject groups.

Any of the real estate agencies have rentals on their books and you can get a lot of house for your uk pounds when you first arrive if you bank what you have and use your interest towards the rent. We're in a rubbish rental cos of earning measly kiwi dollars now and we're trying to save whilst building our own house so weren't too bothered about renting anything flash.

I think you might quite like Rangiora :)

TeamEmbo Apr 11th 2007 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4628140)
In my opinion, disregard please if you want to, it is much easier to do the scouting around and jobhunting if you base yourselves more centrally than Rangiora. If you don't know where the job will be, and this is your first peg in the sand, then if you start off within ChCh somewhere you will find it a lot easier to juggle appointments and interviews.

Thanks, I don't think I explained properly, OH already has job in Cch, but no definite location. Its good schools and nice area to live we need now!

Hang11 Apr 11th 2007 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4628958)
Thanks, I don't think I explained properly, OH already has job in Cch, but no definite location. Its good schools and nice area to live we need now!

It does depend on where your job is to a large extent, I wouldn't want to commute into the CBD from Rangiora every day - the traffic can be a drag, same as trying to go from somewhere like Sockburn or Hornby to Sumner - my wife went from the airport to Mt Pleasant at 5pm yesterday - took her over an hour, it's normally 25 minutes, and there really isn't any need to have to do a painful commute, there's plenty of nice places in and around the city in all directions.

My top pick, for feeling like being outside of the city would be Diamond Harbour, Charteris Bay, Church Bay, on the Banks Peninsula. There's a regular ferry service to Lyttleton, takes less than 10 minutes, and buses from Lyttleton into the City Centre. The bus services in Chch are good, and cheap, and it's easy to get around using them, or leave a car at Lyttleton. It takes about 40 minutes to drive from Diamond Harbour into the city, if Dyers Pass is open, a bit longer if it's closed with snow/ice in the winter, which happens occasionally. I think Diamond Harbour is zoned for Cashmere High, which is pretty good. There's a great pub there, and it's got a lovely feel to it, close to the water, some stunning scenery, and some sensibly priced houses too.

Going West of the city, West Melton has some nice LSB's, posh houses, and is close to everything, gets more rural as you head further out, but can get a bit harsh with the wind when it gets up - Canterbury gets windy, and the NW'ly winds can really blow at any time of year.

Kaiapoi and Rangiora are nice too, but the traffic does get snarled up during rush hour. If you can work round that, then it's definitely worth looking at.

Apple12 Apr 11th 2007 11:30 pm

Yip, I agree Hang11.

It depends a lot as to what you like doing as a family, and what sort of environment you would like around you.

Options such as: close to the beach, closer to the mountains for skiing and hillwalking, close to the Port Hills for mountainbiking, walking, lovely views.
A large garden, a new house, a plot for building your own house.
Walking/biking distance to work and school, close to malls, close to parks and swimming pools. Sailing, jetboating, kayaking.
Lovely views up on a hill, or an established feel, or a new subdivision.

There are so many choices, and if you add these to the location of your OHs job, then you will be able to narrow it down a little.

Christchurch and surrounds has a large number of good schools, if you choose one of the "better off" places to live, chances are there will be a good school.

If your OH gets work on the south side of the city, it would be madness to live in Rangiora, but maybe Halswell or Lyttleton would suit.

Sky, I am not trying to belittle Rangiora at all =) it is a lovely place, but I know for me working in Hornby, and my OH at the hospital in town, it would be a really silly place to live =)

Hang11 Apr 11th 2007 11:42 pm

We live on St Andrews Hill, near enough to the beaches to keep me happy with surfing, 15/20 minutes to the CBD for me to get to work, 5 minutes for the OH in Woolston, 25 minutes after work to be fishing at the Waimak, lovely walks on the doorstep, hour and a half to two hours to be on a ski field, and a really good primary school just up the road. Suits us perfectly, although the high school choices could become an issue in a few years time, so we may end up moving to somewhere in a better school zone.

A lot of it will come down to budget for housing as well, and what you're after in terms of property. There's loads of new sprawling subdivisions, new houses, not much character (yet), but you get a lot more for your money, however, where we are is a much older suburb, so houses are mainly from 1930's to 1970's, and could need a bit of work, and the prices in various areas of the city vary hugely. Generally, the hill suburbs are average of $500k, you can spend a lot more. One of my neighbours has just been looking at a massive 10 yo "executive" home in W Melton, on a couple of acres, really nice, for $700k ish, but then there's some great suburbs in the city where you can buy a nice 3 bed house for $350k.

Places in good school zones like Fendalton can be expensive too, and different areas have such a different feel. We rented in Fendalton when we first got here, bloody hated the place, it's lala land, expensive, and quite cold too in the houses - built on a swamp apparently, and a lot of very up themselves people.

MandyB Apr 12th 2007 2:12 am

HI, we live in Rolleston and I commute into the city centre everyday with no problems. I work just off Cathedral Square, it takes me approx 45 mins from leaving my front door to stepping out of the lift in work. No traffic really until you get to Blenheim Road, but then i use the back roads instead of the main highway. I also work with people who live in both Kaiapoi and Rangiora and it takes them approximately the same amount of time to get to work. There is no high school there as yet but i believe one will be built in the next year or two. Currently high school students go to Lincoln High, a school bus is put on for the kids and its only 10 mins away. I hear it is a v good school but can't comment personally as my son is still only 8 years old.

We find it close enough to just about everything we want to do with great view of the snowy alps in a morning. There are plenty of shops already there (with new ones yet to open) and only 10 mins from Hornby if you want more - 2 seconds for open countryside.

Hope this helps - better get back to work:thumbdown:
Mandy

sky Apr 12th 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4629336)
Sky, I am not trying to belittle Rangiora at all =) it is a lovely place, but I know for me working in Hornby, and my OH at the hospital in town, it would be a really silly place to live =)

Hey no worries :D
I don't have to commute but I know folk who do and they don't have a problem with it cos they love it out here. There are loads of other areas around the city which are lovely but I just feel more at home here than anywhere else I've considered and I absolutely love the townstreet.

TeamEmbo Apr 12th 2007 10:35 am

Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies and advise on other areas to live, :thumbup: but it was specifically Rangiora and Kaiapoi I wanted info on. I know there are many other great places to live and many different things on offer and we have looked into some of them already and gleaned loads of info.

We certainly can't afford $500k home and being within spitting distance of the CBD isn't important to us. We much prefer small, homely, community, country feel, oh, and a nearby beach!

We may well be mad for considering somewhere so far out but Mabel, my imaginary friend, tells me that's where she wants to go! :eek: :rofl:

Apple12 Apr 12th 2007 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 4631254)
Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies and advise on other areas to live, :thumbup: but it was specifically Rangiora and Kaiapoi I wanted info on. I know there are many other great places to live and many different things on offer and we have looked into some of them already and gleaned loads of info.

We certainly can't afford $500k home and being within spitting distance of the CBD isn't important to us. We much prefer small, homely, community, country feel, oh, and a nearby beach!

We may well be mad for considering somewhere so far out but Mabel, my imaginary friend, tells me that's where she wants to go! :eek: :rofl:

Hope your OH doesn't find that he is working out of Woolston then!:ohmy:
Good luck.

Watt Dabney Apr 12th 2007 8:06 pm

Hi, I live in Kaiapoi and have done for 4yrs. I really love it here, a great community with everything you could need but Chch on your door step. We have a cinema, various fast food outlets, a library, a pool etc etc. My one bug bear with the place is the high school leaves a lot to be desired, the head has been on sick leave for over a yr now and the place is suffering for not having someone properly at the helm. The deputy is doing ok but there is only so much you can do when you are just keeping someones seat warm. Saying that I know plenty of people who still send their kids there and are satisfied (both kiwis & poms). The primary schools are fine.

On the commuting subject, my OH commutes to Hornby and its no problem, there is actually a back route behind the airport which cuts out Hornby junction, so th only bottle neck is the Johns Rd junction. My son goes to school in town (Cobham Intermediate just off Memorial Ave) and I go to college in town (Hagley, right on the park). I leave the house at 7.40 I drop my son off at 8.05ish and I am at college by 8.20ish. If it rains it slows the traffic by about 10mins.
We love it out here, and if the high school was ok we would definately be staying, but unless we can get an out of zone place for another school we will have to look at moving, which will be a real shame.

Hop this helps, if you are set on kaiapoi and a commute dosent bother you, personally I would rent in a good school zone when you 1st get here, then buy in Kaiapoi and commute. Rangiora is also nice but a bit further out and its just a bit too far for me, on Mondays my kids go to guitar lessons in Rangiora and I have to say I wouldn't like to add that to my journey every day, but hey its horses for courses.

Paula

sky Apr 12th 2007 9:29 pm

Hi all

There's Waikuku, Pines beach and Woodend beach about 10k up the road from Rangiora. I like Waikuku best cos it has a lovely community feel and a dairy that sells absolutely everything :D
You prob would be best just renting for now like folk say cos you may not like it.
Burnside high asks for a copy of a bill or letter every three months to make sure you're still living in the catchment area so if you do rent close to your chosen high school make sure they don't catch you out like that if you move away.

Hang11 Apr 12th 2007 11:22 pm

Have you looked at the other side of the city on the peninsula? A bit more expensive than Rangiora/Kaiapoi, but zoned for a good high school, and stunning views. It has all the things you want, and probably better weather too, due to microclimates, and a bit of shelter from the wind because it's hilly.

Have a look at www.min.co.nz and search through Church Bay, Charteris Bay, Diamond Harbour, Governers Bay (pricey), and Lyttleton, or even further afield at places like Little River. Just my opinion, and sorry to upset anyone who lives in Rangiora/Kaiapoi, but I think these areas are nicer, more topography, not just flat, and right by water.

I just pinched this picture off there of the views from one of the houses they have for sale.

http://photos.portplus.com/982/51222...47382_640x.jpg

CAN2NZ Apr 18th 2007 12:05 pm

We live in Ilam and our son goes to Burnside which contrary to another post is not downtown.

Anyway, we bought a section in Rangiora and hope to be in the house in the next many months.

We picked Rangiora because we think we get more for our money in building new out there than buying someone's neglected shed. The best part of the town is the North West where you can enjoy the Ashgrove school. The school is the only one in Rangiora to attend. The high school is just fine and has a good reputation. Please see the ERO reports for first hand information.

Don't be under any false apprehensions about the housing stock in NZ. It is awful and the use of the word shed is quite descriptive. Your shed at home is not double glazed, heated, insulated and has no more than one electrcial outlet and light. Here, you will find much the same. A woman who works for me lives in a house that is less than five years old and was built without double glazing or heating. Her monthly electric bill in winter was running to $600. Be very careful what you buy or rent.

However, here in any place that is worth living in if you have a famiy, that house will usually cost more than $400,000 and will need up to $100,000 worth of work to get it right. Once you are done spending you will still have a small house with one bathroom and toilet. So, why do it. If you can go to $650,000 and above, than you have more options. However, where one lives is based on subjective reasoning and my exoectations may be different than yours.

We are building what we think it s a very nice house with two heat pumps, gas fire, solar water heating and lots of insulation. Including the patios and landscapping we are looking at $485,000. We will have more space, more quiet and still live in a real town close to Chch. In the city we would not be able to touch the house for under $575,000. Three bedroom houses in Halswell are now going for close on $550,000 with some listed at $570,000.

Apple12 Apr 18th 2007 7:50 pm

I just want to post up a contrary opinion, cos I can!

We have a very solid three bed home which is fully insulated and extremely well heated with a very efficient log burner.

It is a 1920s villa which has been lovingly redone inside, and being fully fenced and warm and sunny it is perfect for my family. It did not cost anything like the figures mentioned above and certainly hasn't needed 100k of work doing. And best of all it is only a 20 min walk into the centre of chch and a 10 min walk up into the Port Hills.

I just wanted to post some balance, the post above seems to say the only way you can find a suitable house is to build new, and that has not been my experience.

cypherpunk Apr 19th 2007 1:09 am

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 4660233)
...small house with one bathroom and toilet... Three bedroom houses in Halswell are now going for close on $550,000 with some listed at $570,000.

:confused: Did you mean four bedrooms maybe? There are plenty of 3brs below $500K (and even $400K) in Halswell right now, e.g. here. Most of them have two bathrooms as well (three of them have 3! :)).

Hang11 Apr 19th 2007 5:08 am

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 4660233)
However, here in any place that is worth living in if you have a famiy, that house will usually cost more than $400,000 and will need up to $100,000 worth of work to get it right. Once you are done spending you will still have a small house with one bathroom and toilet. So, why do it. If you can go to $650,000 and above, than you have more options. However, where one lives is based on subjective reasoning and my exoectations may be different than yours.

That's just so not true.

We live in a lovely warm 1930's villa.

Total cost to insulate the house, with ECAN grants, was under $5,000 (admittedly, I did the floors myself, took about 4 days of easy work). A super efficient log burner was under $2500, along with heat pumps already installed, the house is super warm, and cheap to run as well, and certainly didn't cost anything like the numbers you're quoting. It's also got 3 bathrooms ;) .