Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is anyone positive about NZ?

Is anyone positive about NZ?

Old Jun 10th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone positive about NZ?

We've been here nearly 3 years and love it...no regrets
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here nearly three years too and love it ... bought our own house a year ago and have not visited the UK since we arrived (we had never set foot in NZ before we arrived and didn't know anyone here). All good.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

PS - Hello nukiwi (you will have to change that name now!)
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moomoo
PS - Hello nukiwi (you will have to change that name now!)
Guess I should now Moomoo x
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

lol xx
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moomoo
lol xx
Can't change my name well its better than oldkiwi
Old Jun 10th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I'm (most days) pretty positive about my move to NZ. I came over on my own last year, didnt know anyone here and I'd never been in the country before but I came over to a full time permanent job and just got on with it.

I did make a mistake, for me, on my first location but I'm fixing that now and moving to somewhere that'll suit me better. I definitely didn't come here for the rural laid back lifestyle, Im much more of a city girl so I'm heading to Auckland. Saying that, I never once considered moving back to the UK when I decided to move and still have no intentions of going back.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

12 years in and very happy thanks.
I've spent a third of my life here now (and all of my mature adult like) and I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else.

i've reached the stage now when I realise that not going to the UK again wouldn't be unbearable too which seems novel.

It really is what you make it though. I have made a big effort to get to know and love this country. It wasn't a passive thing.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

I've been here for 13 years

Until 3 years ago I would have said go for it. Now I'm not so sure. The recession has hit us as a family very hard, my wife lost her job in 2008 and my job now looks like it could be in jeopardy next year. Managers here are the pits, by far the worst I have encountered anywhere! I've never been treated so badly by management as I have here, they seem to want to get one over on anyone over everything, and if you dont like it....well you know where the door is!

Of the 2 kids we bought over, one has gone back probably never to return. He missed the UK from day one and couldn't wait to come back. The other loves it here and can't understand why anyone would prefer to live in the UK.

I have days when I would go back to the UK, and days when I wouldn't. After 13 years I'm still not convinced I've done the right thing in moving everybody here. It's true life is what you make it, but there is only so many times you can take getting knocked down. You maybe lucky and get the ideal job/school/house/lifestyle, and feelyou've cracked it....but be warned because I thought I had that just 3 years ago.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 12:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nukiwi
Can't change my name well its better than oldkiwi
Yes you can. Send me a PM with the desired new moniker.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

burbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this pointburbschook is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here just over 4 years & with each passing day our lives in the Uk become a blur. It is so natural for us to be here. The recession was a challenge where hubby was made redundant for the first time in his working life. Went self employed but felt maybe a complete change of career was the thing. He's never been happier. BUT we are very flexible with what life throws at us. We've never feared the future otherwise we'd never have migrated.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:47 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazmfc
My family and I are migrating to NZ in July and after reading some of the threads on here lately i'm starting to fear i've made a mistake!
Seriously do any of the expats on here really believe in the country still?
Well I am a kiwi....so not an expat...when answering this. So ignore this if you feel like! I *don't* have the long family connections with the UK although some of my closest friends still live there. All different circumstances so it's not like they were all kiwis who grew up here.

I went back to the UK recently (for a holiday) to visit friends who I knew when I was there. I was glad to be home. I loved the trip, and I loved the UK (still do) but no, I wouldn't want to live there long term again. I worked in social services in the UK and could argue the toss with so many people who say X doesn't happen in the UK, or Y doesn't happen particularly in regards to housing and health/home support. There would be just as many, of course, who would say the same about NZ and would happily go back to the UK. It helps that I'm kiwi and my family are here. I wasn't intending to return initially when I did - years ago now. As I said, I love (note: present tense, not past) the UK. But for personal reasons I had to and resented having to leave. Going back there recently reminded me that NZ is where I prefer.

The travel opportunities would be great though. I am envious of those!

This site is great. But I noticed a serious number of moaning myrtles. Some moan because it's a bladdy valid point they are bringing up - and should be - , others because it's a day ending in Y. Sometimes it's hard to work out which is which!!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:38 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quit moaning about it
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Another vore for YES after nearly too years, especially having been back to the UK for bief trips, twice. However, along with others, I would caution against expecting to live comfortably in NZ unless your salary is above the NZ average.

Jan
Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

I've been here (Auckland) 16 months and love it.

Wouldn't live anywhere else now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.