Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in/moved to Whangarei

Anyone in/moved to Whangarei

Old Feb 13th 2017, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone in/moved to Whangarei

Hi

Moving down on the 4 April. Anyone living up in Whangarei?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in/moved to Whangarei

Where you moving from? You say moving down? We're up from there 😆
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about

Hi

UK - but we are not new to this relocation game - lived 4 years Perth, 8 months Canada, recently returned from the Philippines - we are a couple in our 40s with a 7 year old and older kids (not coming with us). So Whangarei as nice as it appears? Does it feel too remote? Is there a nice community feel?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MovALot
Hi

UK - but we are not new to this relocation game - lived 4 years Perth, 8 months Canada, recently returned from the Philippines - we are a couple in our 40s with a 7 year old and older kids (not coming with us). So Whangarei as nice as it appears? Does it feel too remote? Is there a nice community feel?

I live an hour north at Kerikeri so not a resident. Good climate, all mod cons/full range of shops/facilities, house prices rising as people move out of Auckland. CBD seems a tadge run down but that is just a passing impression (they are spending money on renovation and the road system etc).
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ok Thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Thanks.
Agree with kotare
We only really go there for clothes shopping and to go to Kmart.
There are lots of different suburbs within whangarei so I would try and rent while you look around. Saying that rentals are pretty hard to come by anywhere up North at the moment.
As for being remote...it's NZ...everywhere is remote. If you're after a London or auckland then whangas certainly isn't that. Oh but it does have a hospital 😊
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, definitely not looking for a metropolis, try living in Manila that will cure you of any city living I am sure for life! I was down in NZ over 10 years ago, loved the overall feel of the place, looking forward to it again but not sure how it has changed, after living around the world I do not look at anywhere with rose tinted glasses, everywhere is what you make of it, you get out what you put in. Thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

J19fmm (hijacking the thread) thought you might like to see an ex Matauri Bay resident that has just moved in.

Old Feb 14th 2017, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, definitely not looking for a metropolis, try living in Manila that will cure you of any city living I am sure for life! I was down in NZ over 10 years ago, loved the overall feel of the place, looking forward to it again but not sure how it has changed, after living around the world I do not look at anywhere with rose tinted glasses, everywhere is what you make of it, you get out what you put in. Thanks for the replies.

Exactly! Only thing I would say is that everywhere seems a lot busier than it was 10 years ago, but from a business economy side I guess that's a good thing.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kotare
J19fmm (hijacking the thread) thought you might like to see an ex Matauri Bay resident that has just moved in.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...pscxxoldra.jpg

Ohhh! That is too cute, congratulations
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Exactly! Only thing I would say is that everywhere seems a lot busier than it was 10 years ago, but from a business economy side I guess that's a good thing.
Hopefully plenty of organic food shops or the ability to eat 'fresh'; not so interested in supermarkets, sometimes a necessary evil bit try to stay away from them where possible.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hopefully plenty of organic food shops or the ability to eat 'fresh'; not so interested in supermarkets, sometimes a necessary evil bit try to stay away from them where possible.

Just cos I'm really nosy, why are you heading to Whangarei? Not most on most peoples radar!
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

I would have considered Whangerei if there was enough work, property is still at a realistic price there and it's only a couple of hours from Auckland.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Just cos I'm really nosy, why are you heading to Whangarei? Not most on most peoples radar!
Work is taking me there thankfulky
Old Feb 16th 2017, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wez130
I would have considered Whangerei if there was enough work, property is still at a realistic price there and it's only a couple of hours from Auckland.
Thats great to hear - I have a friend already there and heard mostly positive things, just wanted to find out the Brit perspective. Down there soon enough April 4th. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.