British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-moved-back-nz-lake-district-uk-896855/)

BtotheR Nov 22nd 2019 8:57 pm

Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by Flipper_ (Post 12768017)
Hi. I’m new to the site. I joined just to comment on this thread!

I am from the Lake District and have lived in NZ for 5 years in feb. Met my kiwi partner in Lancaster in 2014, moved to NZ with him in 2015, Had twins in 2016 and now pregnant with our third (due June 2020).

We have been back home in 2017 & just recently in August and when I am there I feel so happy and complete, I dread coming back to NZ and when I’m back I just feel deflated. I am so lonely here, I don’t like anything about NZ - apart from the summer weather - which I can do without. I miss my mum, dad and grandma and everything about the UK.
For 5 years I’ve said how much I miss it and I’d move home in a heartbeat.

My partner LOVES the UK and wouldn’t mind living there either. After coming back from UK in September I said, I need to move back for my sanity and I’d rather do it before the boys get much older. He somewhat agreed but since then has gone on about how he is pretty well set up here, can take over his fathers business, has a house, has land to build another, how it would break his parents hearts etc etc.

Not forgetting my parents hearts are broken not having us close with their first grandchildren (partner has two siblings who both live in NZ - there’s chance for them to have more grandchildren here but not for my parents as my sister lives in aus, has no strong desire to have children and hates the UK) so I don’t think that’s a fair comment to make as they have had us so close (living next door) for 5 years.

That’s another thing that restricts us here in NZ too, we can’t even move from here, from right next door to his parents. The thought of living here for the rest of my life makes me sick and full of constant worry and anxiety.

I feel my partner does not understand/or want to try to understand how I feel at all. Having another child has really made me feel EVEN more strongly and I already felt so strongly before. My partner has said I have to pay for his visa, because he paid for mine (which is fair enough) but I am a cleaner 2x a week and he works full time, so it would take me 104632026years to save $3000. It honestly breaks my heart. All our money goes on saving for our next trip for UK (every two years) & we don’t go on any holidays/trips in between because we can’t afford it (unless it’s a wedding of friends)

Speaking of friends, I have no strong desire to see any friends here in NZ & only meet up because I feel I have to, most of the time. I feel if I don’t, people will stop bothering with me and they already don’t bother with me too much cos everyone’s busy.
It sounds so horrible but if I was to move tomorrow and not say bye/need to see them in NZ again, I don’t think I’d be bothered. I am on medication for depression and anxiety and go to bed early every night, once my kids are in bed, because i feel better sleeping to just end the day. I am only happy when spending time with my children, when I’m working or they’re not with me(at grandparents or daycare) I feel so so lost, lonely and just angry.

I could go on and on and on. I’d move back to the UK in a heartbreat with no hesitation at all. I hate everything about my life here and know I would be 100000% happier in the UK, meaning I would be a better, healthier, happier person and mother. I feel like I snap and shout too much because i am so down. I feel like I’m waiting for my life to be over. I’m going to miss the best days of my children’s lives feeling like this and soon they’ll be gone, kids will move out and I will be alone , partner and I will probably be separated the way things are going.

if you’ve read this far, well done & Thankyou!

Hey Flipper - well this was pretty heart breaking to read, and I can totally relate to how you feel. I stick with the sentiment of if you want anything badly enough you can make it happen but obviously it takes time, pain, money and sacrifices. Don't live a lie, you only live once. Check out some of the responses on this thread around the #20's - seems like there are people in situations where you might be in a few years time if you can't wither move back or make some big changes to make it work over there for you. If you partner loves you he will listen and consider your happiness - if not there is a fundamental problem there.

I know the things such as nice houses, land to build on, amazing beaches close by - all seem to be big factors in making people stay but for me (and don't let my decision or argument sway yours as everyone is different) I thought even with the beautiful house we had and great lifestyle - if we decided to move back in ten years but my parents or sister were dead, we will have missed out on that and you can't get that time back or buy it back even if I'd made loads of money over there. It wasn't worth it. I grew up in Lancaster but my parents were from down south so we didn't see grandparents often - I didn't want that for our daughter. The Lakes are the icing on the cake - somewhere I used to work in my early twenties as well as every other weekend being dragged up there as a young kid walking. I missed it the whole time we were away - we once watched Steve Coogans The Trip when in NZ and it made me physically ache to be back here (sounds ridiculous but true).

That said I loved my time in NZ. Its just for me its time had come to a end and at my age (late thirties) there are certain things I wanted back in my life for all of us, and things that life had taught me that weren't so important that I could do without. Maybe this is called growing up!???

I think someone commented on here about feeling alive again after being back in the UK for a while - its a good way of describing it. Life is more raw here in many ways, maybe you see a lot more good and bad that it awakens your senses somehow.

So my advice is talk, work out your real options and make changes whatever they are that will help your happiness. Change is the hardest thing - which is why most people don't do it. Good luck and keep us posted how you go Flipper.

smudge1 Nov 24th 2019 6:11 am

I am from the Lake District and have lived in NZ for 5 years in feb. Met my kiwi partner in Lancaster in 2014, moved to NZ with him in 2015, Had twins in 2016 and now pregnant with our third (due June 2020).

We have been back home in 2017 & just recently in August and when I am there I feel so happy and complete, I dread coming back to NZ and when I’m back I just feel deflated. I am so lonely here, I don’t like anything about NZ - apart from the summer weather - which I can do without. I miss my mum, dad and grandma and everything about the UK.

My partner LOVES the UK and wouldn’t mind living there either. After coming back from UK in September I said, I need to move back for my sanity and I’d rather do it before the boys get much older. He somewhat agreed but since then has gone on about how he is pretty well set up here, can take over his fathers business, has a house, has land to build another, how it would break his parents hearts etc etc.

Not forgetting my parents hearts are broken not having us close with their first grandchildren (partner has two siblings who both live in NZ - there’s chance for them to have more grandchildren here but not for my parents as my sister lives in aus, has no strong desire to have children and hates the UK) so I don’t think that’s a fair comment to make as they have had us so close (living next door) for 5 years.

That’s another thing that restricts us here in NZ too, we can’t even move from here, from right next door to his parents. The thought of living here for the rest of my life makes me sick and full of constant worry and anxiety.

I feel my partner does not understand/or want to try to understand how I feel at all. Having another child has really made me feel EVEN more strongly and I already felt so strongly before. My partner has said I have to pay for his visa, because he paid for mine (which is fair enough) but I am a cleaner 2x a week and he works full time, so it would take me 104632026years to save $3000. It honestly breaks my heart. All our money goes on saving for our next trip for UK (every two years) & we don’t go on any holidays/trips in between because we can’t afford it (unless it’s a wedding of friends)

Speaking of friends, I have no strong desire to see any friends here in NZ & only meet up because I feel I have to, most of the time. I feel if I don’t, people will stop bothering with me and they already don’t bother with me too much cos everyone’s busy.
It sounds so horrible but if I was to move tomorrow and not say bye/need to see them in NZ again, I don’t think I’d be bothered. I am on medication for depression and anxiety and go to bed early every night, once my kids are in bed, because i feel better sleeping to just end the day. I am only happy when spending time with my children, when I’m working or they’re not with me(at grandparents or daycare) I feel so so lost, lonely and just angry.

I could go on and on and on. I’d move back to the UK in a heartbreat with no hesitation at all. I hate everything about my life here and know I would be 100000% happier in the UK, meaning I would be a better, healthier, happier person and mother. I feel like I snap and shout too much because i am so down. I feel like I’m waiting for my life to be over. I’m going to miss the best days of my children’s lives feeling like this and soon they’ll be gone, kids will move out and I will be alone , partner and I will probably be separated the way things are going.

Hi Flipper
Very sorry to read your comment and can totally identify and feel your pain. Do you think you could convince your partner to maybe return to UK for a fixed period of time, say 3 years or so? It might help if you both look upon it as a temporary period of time to see how it goes and how you both feel at the end of the day. I think the worst thing when you are feeling so unhappy is the feeling that everything is permanent and that there's no alternative. Giving yourself some time back in UK might help you begin to feel stronger emotionally and might even help you to see things a little more objectively. The worst feeling in the world is that feeling of isolation and despair and that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, whereas in reality there is always an alternative that can be worked out once you are back in a stronger frame of mind. You never know, after three years back in UK, you might even wish you were back in NZ...and of not, you will be in a stronger position to evaluate your options at that time.. I do hope you are feeling better soon and wish you all the very best with whatever you decide to do.

Scheck Nov 24th 2019 7:44 am

Heartbreaking to read. I hope you find a resolution soon. Where abouts are you in NZ flipper?

Flipper_ Nov 24th 2019 7:20 pm

Thankyou so much for your replies.

I know this probably isn’t the best place to write all that, but I very much needed to get it off my chest. So Thankyou.

I’ve spoken to my partner over the last couple of days and he has said give him two years to do what he needs (knock his house down, build two on the land & get us some money) because of course you need money to move. My only concern is that after two years then do we apply for the visa and then it take another two years?! Which will make me into my 30s. But I guess it’s the only option I have at the moment. I said I would give him two years and if nothing has changed I will have to up and go. Which is heartbreaking for the kids, but I do feel they need a happy home life and if I was to stay here they’d have a VERY miserable mum and dad too as our relationship wouldn’t last, I would feel utter resentment for making me wait and waste another 2 years feeling unhappy. I have read all the replies on this post, which made me feel not so alone but also that I wasn’t just being spoilt and wanting to move home for the sake of it. This is real. Yes, you only live once and you never know what life will hold.

Partner says I don’t help myself or make myself feel happier by going on walks or exercise - they are the last things I feel like doing. I am so miserable and at the moment, morning sickness is terrible. Oh well.

I live just outside of wellington :)

Thanks for reading again. I’m sure I will keep you updated, if you don’t mind, I feel this is a safe space to let it out.

Flipper.

Scheck Nov 24th 2019 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Flipper_ (Post 12769020)
Thankyou so much for your replies.

I know this probably isn’t the best place to write all that, but I very much needed to get it off my chest. So Thankyou.

I’ve spoken to my partner over the last couple of days and he has said give him two years to do what he needs (knock his house down, build two on the land & get us some money) because of course you need money to move. My only concern is that after two years then do we apply for the visa and then it take another two years?! Which will make me into my 30s. But I guess it’s the only option I have at the moment. I said I would give him two years and if nothing has changed I will have to up and go. Which is heartbreaking for the kids, but I do feel they need a happy home life and if I was to stay here they’d have a VERY miserable mum and dad too as our relationship wouldn’t last, I would feel utter resentment for making me wait and waste another 2 years feeling unhappy. I have read all the replies on this post, which made me feel not so alone but also that I wasn’t just being spoilt and wanting to move home for the sake of it. This is real. Yes, you only live once and you never know what life will hold.

Partner says I don’t help myself or make myself feel happier by going on walks or exercise - they are the last things I feel like doing. I am so miserable and at the moment, morning sickness is terrible. Oh well.

I live just outside of wellington :)

Thanks for reading again. I’m sure I will keep you updated, if you don’t mind, I feel this is a safe space to let it out.

Flipper.

Homesickness and morning sickness must be rough as hell, no wonder leaving the house is the last thing you want to do.

I'm on the Kapiti Coast (Pram Beach), just moved here from Backbarrow 2 months ago (originally from Sedbergh, my husband is from Kendal). If you feel like you need a "no judgement off load" to a fellow Cumbrian mum, i'm here.

Stacey

Flipper_ Nov 26th 2019 6:03 am

Hi Scheck (Stacey) How are you finding Kapiti so far?i have a friend who moved to Sedburgh recently. Her husband is the house master for the private boys school. Lovely place. So, I tried to message you on this site but it didn’t work. <snip for privacy>

BEVS Nov 26th 2019 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flipper_ (Post 12769712)
So, I tried to message you on this site but it didn’t work.

It should do now. Try again.

BTW. I will snip out the bit of your post which leads to your FB account. Not that it isn't OK to share that here but it is that as this is an open public forum anyone could look in to see the info, even without being a member. Just for your privacy is all.

Hope everything feels better soon somehow.
I am very familiar with homesickness and a wish to be in the UK even though I have been in now for over 15 yrs. I am not near you though as I am outside of Nelson.

Daisyc172 Dec 30th 2019 2:14 am

I am so glad to have found this thread! Parts have made me sad, others laugh out loud & its nice to know I'm not the only one feeling like this!!
I grew up in Kent and met my kiwi partner over there. September 2018 we moved to his hometown of Taupo. I couldn't have prepared myself for what I was in for. I cried every day for the first three months, I was so unhappy and couldn't believe how different it was. I still envy people living in bigger places like Auckland and Wellington as there is so much more to do and more opportunities to meet people.
Partner and I getting married in 2 years and hes off to police college in April (4 months on my own in Taupo- how will I cope????) I've been lucky to get a great job in a school here and I love it. I know I wouldn't have such a relaxed job back in the UK as I almost never bring work home. It's great. We have a lovely place here and a great little cat, but like so many others I just feel there is something missing. People say you have to give it 2-5 years to fully settle, but I have found it so hard to make friends and miss my family terribly. People here do not share my taste in music, things to do or even understand my sense of humor most of the time. Unfortunately my partners family have taken a dislike to me so we dont have any support network. (This puts more of a strain on our relationship as we have little "time out" from each other, although I cannot fault how supportive he has been since his family turned on me). My parents are moving up to the Lakes next month and that is definitely where i want to settle. Hubby & I have agreed that if we go back we will aim for the Lakes. It got so bad recently (probably due to the time of year and looking at all of my friends and family doing amazing xmas things and thinking "why on earth am I here???") that I was considering leaving the relationship to return to the UK on my own. I know deep down that isnt what I want as I would be miserable there without him :( I feel so torn. I know that when we have children I will want to return home to raise them by my own parents, but it is hard with my partner starting his career as a police officer here. I can understand that he does not want to move back yet and wants to start a career, I did the same with my teaching in England when we started dating over 3 years ago.
What makes it even harder is I know lots of other young people (I'm 25) that have moved over from my hometown that love it, I seem to be the odd one out! I also find kiwis look at NZ through rose coloured glasses, noone can say a bad word about it! I know England isnt wonderful, but at least we all know its sh** and have a laugh about it 🤣

BtotheR Jan 12th 2020 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Daisyc172 (Post 12783329)
I am so glad to have found this thread! Parts have made me sad, others laugh out loud & its nice to know I'm not the only one feeling like this!!
I grew up in Kent and met my kiwi partner over there. September 2018 we moved to his hometown of Taupo. I couldn't have prepared myself for what I was in for. I cried every day for the first three months, I was so unhappy and couldn't believe how different it was. I still envy people living in bigger places like Auckland and Wellington as there is so much more to do and more opportunities to meet people.
Partner and I getting married in 2 years and hes off to police college in April (4 months on my own in Taupo- how will I cope????) I've been lucky to get a great job in a school here and I love it. I know I wouldn't have such a relaxed job back in the UK as I almost never bring work home. It's great. We have a lovely place here and a great little cat, but like so many others I just feel there is something missing. People say you have to give it 2-5 years to fully settle, but I have found it so hard to make friends and miss my family terribly. People here do not share my taste in music, things to do or even understand my sense of humor most of the time. Unfortunately my partners family have taken a dislike to me so we dont have any support network. (This puts more of a strain on our relationship as we have little "time out" from each other, although I cannot fault how supportive he has been since his family turned on me). My parents are moving up to the Lakes next month and that is definitely where i want to settle. Hubby & I have agreed that if we go back we will aim for the Lakes. It got so bad recently (probably due to the time of year and looking at all of my friends and family doing amazing xmas things and thinking "why on earth am I here???") that I was considering leaving the relationship to return to the UK on my own. I know deep down that isnt what I want as I would be miserable there without him :( I feel so torn. I know that when we have children I will want to return home to raise them by my own parents, but it is hard with my partner starting his career as a police officer here. I can understand that he does not want to move back yet and wants to start a career, I did the same with my teaching in England when we started dating over 3 years ago.
What makes it even harder is I know lots of other young people (I'm 25) that have moved over from my hometown that love it, I seem to be the odd one out! I also find kiwis look at NZ through rose coloured glasses, noone can say a bad word about it! I know England isnt wonderful, but at least we all know its sh** and have a laugh about it 🤣

Hi there! Hey glad another person has found this thread to be some comfort (maybe) and useful to their current situation. I can sympathise with your scenario - I lived in central north island my first year in NZ in a place even quieter than Taupo(!). But Taupo is not ideal - I had a friend who lived there for a couple of years and he found it painful. From what he said its pretty transient or locals who have been there forever and not much inbetween. Not sure if its the same these days but I think all pubs pretty much shut at 10pm a Saturday evening (the Irish bar is the only one I remember there)!? I do feel for you but when you think of the big cities remember there a lot of people on the forums here and people I met that really struggled integrating in Auckland especially, there's a lot of tight old school groups that aren't very open to new faces. I think I have stated before on here that a large collection of our friends were English, Scots, Polish and Czech's with some Kiwis too. And house parties which seem to be very popular over there always seemed to be a very male and female divided event which I always found strange. I'm a bloke but there's only so much listening to stories about lifting V8 engines out cars I can deal with in a evening. And the music thing is real - kiwis love there music, for me it was always absolute s**t and I had to rely on George FM and streaming to get real music. Christmas is always tough over there too, its nearly a none event - who needs it at that time of year in the summer - I feel like I just didn't have Christmas for years.

Anyway - here is my 5 cents worth. I would think long and hard about the relationship and if its strong enough to get through the years ahead of this. For me I stuck around in a relationship that I shouldn't have done so and looking back although it gave me great experiences etc, the writing was on the wall for a long time and I wish I had knocked it on the head and got out of that sooner. You partner - is he actually going to be keen to move over at some point or is this just a stalling tactic? So kids are a major thing to consider if they are in the thought process and where you want to be for this really unique, special and extremely difficult part of your life. Again the longer you are there, is your partner really going to want to move over here away from his new police friends - his parents who are newly grandparents, that kind of thing.
My other 5c worth is that after 14/15 years away I have missed out on a a lot and there is definitely the sense that I/We should have done this years ago. Friends have got married, divorced and in some cases married again, their kids are way older than ours, many old close friends have really strong group bonds now that I do not feel a part of, some have died, my parents are way older (but in great health and young for their ages), I have a brother in law I am only just really starting to get to know properly - the list goes on.

You don't actually believe the life you left behind stops just because you aren't there, but there something in the back of your mind you are hoping that it kind of will. It doesn't. And by how much it has changed depends on how long you are gone.

Englands s**t and we know it is. Everyone here will tell you they'd sell a liver to live in NZ, your mad to move back. But how many of them have actually lived there or anywhere for years?

Hope this helps (???).

Daisyc172 Jan 18th 2020 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12788817)
Hi there! Hey glad another person has found this thread to be some comfort (maybe) and useful to their current situation. I can sympathise with your scenario - I lived in central north island my first year in NZ in a place even quieter than Taupo(!). But Taupo is not ideal - I had a friend who lived there for a couple of years and he found it painful. From what he said its pretty transient or locals who have been there forever and not much inbetween. Not sure if its the same these days but I think all pubs pretty much shut at 10pm a Saturday evening (the Irish bar is the only one I remember there)!? I do feel for you but when you think of the big cities remember there a lot of people on the forums here and people I met that really struggled integrating in Auckland especially, there's a lot of tight old school groups that aren't very open to new faces. I think I have stated before on here that a large collection of our friends were English, Scots, Polish and Czech's with some Kiwis too. And house parties which seem to be very popular over there always seemed to be a very male and female divided event which I always found strange. I'm a bloke but there's only so much listening to stories about lifting V8 engines out cars I can deal with in a evening. And the music thing is real - kiwis love there music, for me it was always absolute s**t and I had to rely on George FM and streaming to get real music. Christmas is always tough over there too, its nearly a none event - who needs it at that time of year in the summer - I feel like I just didn't have Christmas for years.

Anyway - here is my 5 cents worth. I would think long and hard about the relationship and if its strong enough to get through the years ahead of this. For me I stuck around in a relationship that I shouldn't have done so and looking back although it gave me great experiences etc, the writing was on the wall for a long time and I wish I had knocked it on the head and got out of that sooner. You partner - is he actually going to be keen to move over at some point or is this just a stalling tactic? So kids are a major thing to consider if they are in the thought process and where you want to be for this really unique, special and extremely difficult part of your life. Again the longer you are there, is your partner really going to want to move over here away from his new police friends - his parents who are newly grandparents, that kind of thing.
My other 5c worth is that after 14/15 years away I have missed out on a a lot and there is definitely the sense that I/We should have done this years ago. Friends have got married, divorced and in some cases married again, their kids are way older than ours, many old close friends have really strong group bonds now that I do not feel a part of, some have died, my parents are way older (but in great health and young for their ages), I have a brother in law I am only just really starting to get to know properly - the list goes on.

You don't actually believe the life you left behind stops just because you aren't there, but there something in the back of your mind you are hoping that it kind of will. It doesn't. And by how much it has changed depends on how long you are gone.

Englands s**t and we know it is. Everyone here will tell you they'd sell a liver to live in NZ, your mad to move back. But how many of them have actually lived there or anywhere for years?

Hope this helps (???).

Thanks so much for your message, it really did help. Because it's been Christmas & I'm a teacher so I've had weeks off I've been really miserable lately so we've been arguing lots (missing home even more than usual due to time of year and not a lot to do). Of course there are issues in every relationship, noone is perfect but I think you're right in evaluating whether the relationship is strong enough.
It's a big year for us as partner goes away to police college for 4 months later in the year and then obviously when he returns he will be doing shift work. I think I'll give it this year to see what happens. I'm going home for Xmas this year (on my own, he can't get time off as he will be new) so I'll make a call then. It's a very very difficult situation but I have to do what's best for me :( the way I feel at the moment I could pack my bags and get on a flight tomorrow, but I would never forgive myself if I didnt give it every chance I could have.

BtotheR Jan 18th 2020 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Daisyc172 (Post 12791659)
Thanks so much for your message, it really did help. Because it's been Christmas & I'm a teacher so I've had weeks off I've been really miserable lately so we've been arguing lots (missing home even more than usual due to time of year and not a lot to do). Of course there are issues in every relationship, noone is perfect but I think you're right in evaluating whether the relationship is strong enough.
It's a big year for us as partner goes away to police college for 4 months later in the year and then obviously when he returns he will be doing shift work. I think I'll give it this year to see what happens. I'm going home for Xmas this year (on my own, he can't get time off as he will be new) so I'll make a call then. It's a very very difficult situation but I have to do what's best for me :( the way I feel at the moment I could pack my bags and get on a flight tomorrow, but I would never forgive myself if I didnt give it every chance I could have.

It sounds like you have made a well thought out and mature decision to me. Give it your best shot. My onpy last piece of disposable advice would be to write yourself a list of things you would like to achieve in the allocated time, that would allow you to feel nz is home or at least the place you want to stay. It could be ‘I want three friends I feel I can really talk to’ or ‘to live in a town/city/island I love’ - that kind of thing.
if you tick them all or most of them off and decide to stay throw the list away at the end, you no longer need it. If you don’t achieve enough or any of them keep the list. If you were to come back to the uk and you started to have doubts you made the right decision the list will be a great reminder of the things you were missing over there in making you feel at home or settled out there.

Its easy to forget the reality of being there sometimes, especially when you see pictures of old friends having their nz summer now or reminisce with people who visited you out there. Sometimes you need the reminded of what it was really like when you were living it.

Best of luck - keep us updated.

100 posts old for this thread. Cheers to all that have contributed...:drinkingwine:

BtotheR Nov 2nd 2020 1:36 pm

So Facebooks tells it was 2 years ago yesterday that we jumped on the plane back to the UK so I thought I would come on and update anyone that is interested. Its been a tough but well worth it couple of years and obviously things have changed for everyone given the global crisis we are all facing at the moment. Its hard for me to compare as I'm no longer in NZ but I do think a lot of the tabloid hype surrounding the situation here makes it sound a lot worse than it is. Yes we are about to lockdown again but where we are things are not as down and dark as the press have made it out to be. Maybe that will change who knows.

So overall especially with these things going on we are still very much happy to be back, and despite the problems, to be within a nation of people who are incredibly and understatedly versatile and strong in the face of such a huge global problem. I have only really realised it in the last few months but its startling clear to me now how few kiwis I got to really know or feel like I could or would like to really get to know compared to Brits over here - which is a huge thing for me for social engagement and interaction. I meet and work with so many more people here that I get to know or know I could get to know on a deeper level here - rather than just many relationships I formed in NZ that were pretty limited. Why you might ask - I don't know - I can't put my finger on it, but I am a social person and definitely made plenty of effort in the near 15 years I spent in NZ! I made some great friends there but only really a small network given the time I was there.

Family - lock down has been unfortunate but we do get to see them, sometimes from a distance or just out on a walk but just being in the time zone even if it is on Skype means its so much easier. And it is a massive thing for our daughter to be around them all (and us!).

Pubs - Just about to close again but they are so important here and such a different experience to NZ. A pub here is something you go to be a part of it and to enjoy good beer and not have to take a mortgage out to have the pleasure of doing so. They close on Thursday but they will be back and so will its regulars.

House - we have a lovely house here - not as big or spacious, or with a large deck, lawns or separate outhouse and garage but you know what - it doesn't matter. we knew that when we moved and its the reality that its only four walls and a plot of land and the payoff to be close family and make memories is of much greater valuer to us. Of course there are times when I miss it and look at photos and reminisce, but thats ok. But its warm and cosy with victorian character and the street where we live could not be better, neighbours that care and will stop and speak to you when you see them - we love it!

The Lake District - never fails to impress, doesn't cost us anything apart from petrol for the short drive into it and we can't get enough of it. As our daughter is getting older the further we can walk and take her and share it with her.

Work - Probably the hardest thing for me personally. I have had to change careers as the demand for my trade in such a small place (Kendal) compared to Auckland meant I didn't want to step back to the level I was years ago so I have moved into something else. I'm actually really enjoying the new challenge, the money is rubbish but on a optimistic note I hope that will change in the next year if I can keep pushing myself. We will see.

We still keep in touch with our close friends and my other halves parents who are all over NZ, but I must admit that the time difference makes it as difficult as it was keeping in touch with people here when we were there - and sadly it means it happens less and less.

So Im sat here writing this on a Monday - its only 2.30pm and its a dark rainy day. But would I change it? No. I'm home. I always called it home even when I lived over there for all those years. I feel for people feeling trapped at the moment with all that is going on. I'm sure its making a lot of people think about what they want in the long term. Best the to remember is everyones journey is different. Only you know or think you know whats right for you and your family.

Stay safe everyone x

Mishclark Nov 2nd 2020 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12929362)
So Facebooks tells it was 2 years ago yesterday that we jumped on the plane back to the UK so I thought I would come on and update anyone that is interested. Its been a tough but well worth it couple of years and obviously things have changed for everyone given the global crisis we are all facing at the moment. Its hard for me to compare as I'm no longer in NZ but I do think a lot of the tabloid hype surrounding the situation here makes it sound a lot worse than it is. Yes we are about to lockdown again but where we are things are not as down and dark as the press have made it out to be. Maybe that will change who knows.

So overall especially with these things going on we are still very much happy to be back, and despite the problems, to be within a nation of people who are incredibly and understatedly versatile and strong in the face of such a huge global problem. I have only really realised it in the last few months but its startling clear to me now how few kiwis I got to really know or feel like I could or would like to really get to know compared to Brits over here - which is a huge thing for me for social engagement and interaction. I meet and work with so many more people here that I get to know or know I could get to know on a deeper level here - rather than just many relationships I formed in NZ that were pretty limited. Why you might ask - I don't know - I can't put my finger on it, but I am a social person and definitely made plenty of effort in the near 15 years I spent in NZ! I made some great friends there but only really a small network given the time I was there.

Family - lock down has been unfortunate but we do get to see them, sometimes from a distance or just out on a walk but just being in the time zone even if it is on Skype means its so much easier. And it is a massive thing for our daughter to be around them all (and us!).

Pubs - Just about to close again but they are so important here and such a different experience to NZ. A pub here is something you go to be a part of it and to enjoy good beer and not have to take a mortgage out to have the pleasure of doing so. They close on Thursday but they will be back and so will its regulars.

House - we have a lovely house here - not as big or spacious, or with a large deck, lawns or separate outhouse and garage but you know what - it doesn't matter. we knew that when we moved and its the reality that its only four walls and a plot of land and the payoff to be close family and make memories is of much greater valuer to us. Of course there are times when I miss it and look at photos and reminisce, but thats ok. But its warm and cosy with victorian character and the street where we live could not be better, neighbours that care and will stop and speak to you when you see them - we love it!

The Lake District - never fails to impress, doesn't cost us anything apart from petrol for the short drive into it and we can't get enough of it. As our daughter is getting older the further we can walk and take her and share it with her.

Work - Probably the hardest thing for me personally. I have had to change careers as the demand for my trade in such a small place (Kendal) compared to Auckland meant I didn't want to step back to the level I was years ago so I have moved into something else. I'm actually really enjoying the new challenge, the money is rubbish but on a optimistic note I hope that will change in the next year if I can keep pushing myself. We will see.

We still keep in touch with our close friends and my other halves parents who are all over NZ, but I must admit that the time difference makes it as difficult as it was keeping in touch with people here when we were there - and sadly it means it happens less and less.

So Im sat here writing this on a Monday - its only 2.30pm and its a dark rainy day. But would I change it? No. I'm home. I always called it home even when I lived over there for all those years. I feel for people feeling trapped at the moment with all that is going on. I'm sure its making a lot of people think about what they want in the long term. Best the to remember is everyones journey is different. Only you know or think you know whats right for you and your family.

Stay safe everyone x

Wow, that's gone fast! Glad to hear everything has worked out for you, clearly it was the right thing to do for you.

Stay safe over there!

Justcol Nov 3rd 2020 1:07 am

Very good

Keep yourself safe 👍