Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Old Aug 6th 2019, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
Hi Umbrellagirl. Sorry to hear your situation has not improved with the move. I understand fully your predicament. We moved back two years ago and I have to say that whilst really enjoying being back with family and loving the countryside and diversity here, the shine is beginning to wear a little thin now. We were in Auckland for 13 years and I can't believe how much UK has declined in that time. The roads are full of potholes, the high streets are mostly dead except for charity shops, betting shops, pound shops, tattoo parlours and Turkish barbers... Brexit has had a very depressing effect on the economy and most people with all the uncertainty surrounding it. House prices have come down, which is great if you want to buy but rents seem to be much higher now than when we left..and fewer people are now able to afford their own homes and are stuck in the rental system..becoming much more like NZ in that respect. I have actually been working in children's services for the past 18 months (admin) and am horrified at the workload and stress put upon the social workers..they are leaving in their droves and many of them are stressed to the limit. Funding cutbacks everywhere have meant there are just too many cases for too few workers and I actually left due to the constant pressure of having to meet statutory deadlines even though nothing ever changed or improved the lives of the children in need. It felt like there was always a tragedy just waiting to happen. And we live in a relatively affluent area in the South East...I can't begin to imagine what it must be like in many of the more deprived areas of UK. So.. all in all I would think long and hard about returning to the UK if you really enjoy life in NZ. For all the negatives here at the moment, I am still glad to be back in this part of the world..NZ never felt like home to me and I never settled there. I enjoy the proximity of Europe and the amount of things to do and places to visit. However, we now realise we detest the long, dark, cold winters and can't envisage staying here forever. I don't think we would ever return to NZ permanently but we are definitely looking at options and considering retiring somewhere warmer than UK when the time comes (we've got a couple of years to go yet) and with that in mind we are looking at France or Spain....although that might be much more difficult now with the Brexit debacle taking place. There is definitely a very unsettled feeling here and I don't think it's the ideal time to return...maybe wait and see how things go after Brexit? Sorry to be the bearer of not such negativity....and this of course is only my own experience. Others may have an entirely different view and experience. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Declined? To be honest I don't know when it was different and the Charity shops, betting shops, pound shops, tattoo parlours and Turkish barbers were always around long before Brexit. Whenever I drove back from England, even the more affluent towns had areas close by that seemed rougher than the roughest parts here and that was years ago. But it's just the norm these days and even France and Spain are not exempt. The only difference is that Brits just don't end up in these places/ or let's say end up in the touristic parts, so don't really see the issues as much.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
Declined? To be honest I don't know when it was different and the Charity shops, betting shops, pound shops, tattoo parlours and Turkish barbers were always around long before Brexit. Whenever I drove back from England, even the more affluent towns had areas close by that seemed rougher than the roughest parts here and that was years ago. But it's just the norm these days and even France and Spain are not exempt. The only difference is that Brits just don't end up in these places/ or let's say end up in the touristic parts, so don't really see the issues as much.

I actually agree with this as I do think people remember towns being better than they were although I do think there has been a slight decline in the high street across most the uk - BUT this is because we have changed the way we shop. We buy pretty much everything online because its easier and cheaper. In NZ the high streets are thriving yes but then we are all moaning at the stupidly high prices over there that are charged in these shops and the lack of selection. Once amazon and some of the other bigger boys get better access to the NZ market and cheaper prices are available it will follow suit. Its a changing time for the high street and it actually needs rethinking which I believe is what is happening here. Its now a place for services rather than shops - cafes, hairdressers, nail salons etc are doing the best trades in towns now.

I think people are reflecting on the perceived demise of town centres as a representation as the UK as a whole. Its not, the world and the UK has changed. Doesn't have to be seen as all bad! I'm quite optimistic to see how British town centres are used in the future. Pot holes in the roads - always has been, what else did we used to jump in as kids? Try parts of America - you will see some of the worst roads in my experience, with only roads in India beating them.

Oh and don't read what is going on in London as a sign as what is going on in England as a whole. Thats only what the Daily Mail would like to make you think. Is England perfect? Of course not - no where is!

Old Aug 9th 2019, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR View Post
I actually agree with this as I do think people remember towns being better than they were although I do think there has been a slight decline in the high street across most the uk - BUT this is because we have changed the way we shop. We buy pretty much everything online because its easier and cheaper. In NZ the high streets are thriving yes but then we are all moaning at the stupidly high prices over there that are charged in these shops and the lack of selection. Once amazon and some of the other bigger boys get better access to the NZ market and cheaper prices are available it will follow suit. Its a changing time for the high street and it actually needs rethinking which I believe is what is happening here. Its now a place for services rather than shops - cafes, hairdressers, nail salons etc are doing the best trades in towns now.

I think people are reflecting on the perceived demise of town centres as a representation as the UK as a whole. Its not, the world and the UK has changed. Doesn't have to be seen as all bad! I'm quite optimistic to see how British town centres are used in the future. Pot holes in the roads - always has been, what else did we used to jump in as kids? Try parts of America - you will see some of the worst roads in my experience, with only roads in India beating them.

Oh and don't read what is going on in London as a sign as what is going on in England as a whole. Thats only what the Daily Mail would like to make you think. Is England perfect? Of course not - no where is!
One also has to note that smudge1 wrote the following And we live in a relatively affluent area in the South East...I can't begin to imagine what it must be like in many of the more deprived areas of UK.
I would actually say that many of the deprived areas are in the South East, as there are just too many people and pollution. If you look at Cumbria, it's a different world and you can still enjoy the fresh air.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the difference in high streets in NZ and Britian. Is Tesco and Asda.
If you wanna buy something in NZ you have to go a certain shop. Such as electric items, Kids toys, Books games dvds, cheap clothes anything that's not food.
In UK you just go to Tescos or Asda and pick something up when you doing your weekly shop so yoir not going into town as much to buy goods.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 9:22 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

In NZ the high streets are thriving yes but then we are all moaning at the stupidly high prices over there that are charged in these shops and the lack of selection.
They are not thriving in my areas here in NZ . At least not from how many charity shops are opening on empty premises.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Nor in mine.
I feel the UK town centre has died a death due to the number of big out of town retail parks that have popped up and the ease of online shopping with next day delivery.
It has been 4 years since I was back in the UK but my local high streets (Wigan, Bolton, Preston, Southport) were dead then. We only visited the likes of Liverpool 1 and other similar large shopping centres as they offer the full experience with pubs / restaurants / cinema etc all in the one place.
Old Aug 17th 2019, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Most high streets in NZ could never be described as thriving; it seems all empty shops are taken over by Charities or the ubiquitous $2 shops and pop-ups selling shit that nobody really wanted the first time around.
Old Aug 17th 2019, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes, I do agree with you. I'm not saying UK was Utopia. There have always been the rough areas and betting shops etc. it's just that it seems all the bad things are spreading out dramatically and the good things have dwindled. Yes, we have always had the occasional potholes but now we have whole swathes of roads full of potholes and people always complaining of damage to their cars and having to sue the council. We lived in Africa for ten years so believe me I know third world conditions when I see them and we seem to be rapidly becoming one here. There is definitely way too much housing development around here..they keep building masses of new housing estates but never any new schools or doctor's surgeries. People around here have to book a GP appointment six weeks in advance...just ridiculous. And what I find most depressing is the amount of ads on TV for money loans (aimed at people who may have an unexpected repairs to pay for and can't wait until the next pay day) and online gambling... it just seems to be going back to the old days when people had to pawn their suits so the family could eat that week..all a sign of poverty which was never overtly apparent for many decades in the UK. I don't think it's got anything to do with Brexit..this has been happening over the last 20 years...it's just a sign of the times generally in capitalist societies. the other thing that scares the life out of me is the total dumbing down of the population. So much absolutely mindless reality drivel on tv. Before we left for NZ there were countless adult education centres around here where you could learn almost anything you wanted to for very reasonable fees. Now it's almost impossible to find a centre and classes to improve one's knowledge without having to pay hundreds or even thousands of pounds. I know I am painting a very black picture but this is truly the way that I can see how things have gone downhill around here. I can see that these things have declined gradually over the years so people living here haven't noticed so much but having been away for 13 years and coming back, the difference hits me like a stack of bricks. Maybe we were just spoilt and now facing reality. It's certainly not all bad though and of course there are still many good things about UK which I still think are unbeatable otherwise we'd be back on the first plane to NZ. I do wonder though that if the people and companies making most money actually paid their fair share of taxes instead of using loopholes to avoid tax, how much more money would be in the system to provide the services required and that have been cut so drastically over the years...
Old Aug 28th 2019, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Sorry if it’s already been posted but someone sent me this article by a British journalist living in NZ who is returning to the UK. An interesting read:
https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/28-...o-new-zealand/
Old Aug 28th 2019, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry if it’s already been posted but someone sent me this article by a British journalist living in NZ who is returning to the UK. An interesting read:
I do find the picture a bit misleading though. Why is it always that UK is automatically London and New Zealand is automatically a mountain or fields. In reality a higher percentage of the population in NZ live in urban areas.

Old Aug 28th 2019, 9:45 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I do find the picture a bit misleading though. Why is it always that UK is automatically London and New Zealand is automatically a mountain or fields. In reality a higher percentage of the population in NZ live in urban areas.
No idea but it is misleading for both countries. As stated, most live in urban areas and those that were in semi-rural areas are quickly becoming part of an urban sprawl.

The UK is not London & NZ is not fjordland .

Old Aug 29th 2019, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting reading indeed, and mirrors my thoughts when in NZ almost entirely. Unfortunately, having returned to a dystopian UK it seems that rather than feeling I belong in both places I now no longer feel I really belong in either...