Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:34 am
  #31  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Bump - just to see if anyone else new has had a similar experience?? Thanks
BtotheR is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2018, 6:55 am
  #32  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

So since starting this thread nearly 18 months ago we have finally got everything into place to be able to move back and try to get into the Lake District which is close to where I am originally from. We got the visa through today so we will make the move in the next 2-3 weeks.

I just thought I would revisit this to highlight to anyone thinking about doing the same to show how long it actually takes. We got snagged at every stage possible it seemed from a lengthly house sale due timid buyers and removing a requisition that Auckland council dragged their extremely slow and expensive heels on, and then the visa for my partner which is paaaainful when dealing with UKVI. I swear every employee that works at UKVI email centre should be politicians as they can avoid answering simple questions on multiple attempts! We have had to sell up, send our cats over, have our gear wrapped up and taken away for shipping and now live in a rental waiting for the visa to come through (we could only apply once the house sale had gone through - long story!), all whilst coping with our first child who wasn't even born when I started this thread.

We decided to go for it a year ago now - and only just have got to this point now. I'm not saying everyone will have the same amount of problems we did but hey it just might take longer than you think and isn't easy.

Fingers crossed we can get our target of living in the Lakes - it will be great, if not cold, to be back. Being close to family will be great! Will update how it goes if anyone is interested.

b
BtotheR is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2018, 5:52 pm
  #33  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,360
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Good luck with the move back.
A truly beautiful part of the country. Visited often throughout my childhood living in NW England and after mum/step-dad retired to The Lakes in 1997 it became my second home.
They live in Allithwaite (between Grange Over Sands and Cartmel).
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2018, 9:28 pm
  #34  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,866
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

look forward to the updates
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2018, 8:21 am
  #35  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Good luck with the move back.
A truly beautiful part of the country. Visited often throughout my childhood living in NW England and after mum/step-dad retired to The Lakes in 1997 it became my second home.
They live in Allithwaite (between Grange Over Sands and Cartmel).
Thank you - I know Allithwaite well Will keep this updated Mrs. Fychan thanks
BtotheR is offline  
Old May 7th 2019, 10:13 am
  #36  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Smile Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

So a update - just 10 days shy of the original post when we were deciding to move back to the UK.

Things are going really well and we do not regret our decision to move back one bit so far after 6 months. We bought a house in Kendal in Cumbria and couldn't be more pleased. Its been great reacquainting ourselves with old friends and making new ones. So here are some positives and negatives from me, bearing in mind I had been living in NZ since my early 20s some 15 years ago. I lived and breathed NZ, became and Kiwi, had a house, car, cats and never thought I would return but after having a family it felt like the right time to do it. It wasn't easy at all but I just wanted to share our information for anyone who might want or need it.

appreciate this is maybe quite specific to the area we have moved back to, you couldn't pay me enough to move to London or any large UK city.

Main pluses
  • The countryside and walks - its open to everyone - you can go pretty much everywhere! The freedom you feel in places especially like the lakes and dales is like nothing else. South island is stunning yes but a lot of it is owned and private or so isolated you would hardly ever go there. As a big walker I can't get enough of it. Even just around Kendal we have small walks with nature trails we can take our little one on all for free and walkable from our house.
  • National Trust - we became members upon our return and can now go to loads of places around the country without paying and the places are BRILLIANT. Alan Bank in Grasmere on a sunny afternoon? Yes please!
  • Family - A stones throw away. Our little girl will grow up by her grandparents and auntie who all adore her - I couldn't be more happy about this.
  • Friends just pop round - its so much easier, always seemed to have to be so arranged in advance in our circles in Auckland - but here it happens spontaniously which is so refreshing.
  • Motorways - people keep to the left (!). Its a small thing but something NZ has lacked eduction on/in and therefore the roads run more smoothly (yes with more traffic on them even) and more safely without crazy undertaking everywhere!
  • Houses/Central Heating - Yes maybe smaller and closer together but warm and easier maintenance. Pricewise not half a million quid for nicely painted large wooden shed with damp issues. Central heating should never be under rated.
  • Music and TV - turn on the radio you hear music that is familiar and 'good' music. Turn on the TV and its not all American shows.
  • Birds - the sounds of British birds in the morning when you wake up - its just homely.
  • Prices - normality of the cost of things is finally back.
  • People say hello - yes the great British "Morning" or "Hello" to complete strangers is still strong, especially in the North of England.
  • Pubs - You know what I mean on this - British pubs have always been the best. I especially don't miss the small town NZ "pubs" with flouro lights, rugby memorabilia everywhere, terrible beer and moustached locals giving you a sideways look.
  • Football - I don't have to watch it on my laptop in my pyjamas on my own anymore - its a social affair and exciting to be back around it!
  • Weather - yes weather! We have had weeks of 20+ degrees up here already and according to our local friends, it has been doing this the last few years most likely and sadly due to climate change. For me those warm temperatures are just right and not humid which used to kill me in Auckland. Yes it will be rainy more but hey it rains a lot in Auckland too and being cold is more manageable here as homes are warm and you don't need a mortgage for warm clothes.
Bad bits:
  • Supermarket plastic. My god, everything is wrapped in something here and when you think of the scale things are bought on here due to population it is frightening!
  • Coffee - it is still mainly awful. Large cups of boiling milk with no froth and a hint of burned coffee. Barely anywhere knows actually what a real flat white is here. All the machines are button timed things that teenage staff can work and no barista skills employed. There are some artisan cafes around with better results but we are seriously looking at buying a Rocket coffee machine before we go cold Turkey! NZ coffee is the best I have known and the cafe scene is brilliant in Auckland and Wellington especially.
  • Brexit. Mainly just due to it dragging. Everyone who is a Remainer talks openly about it as though everyone in the room agrees with them whilst the Leavers just keep quiet. Despite what you read/hear from what we see here the country is split with generally a attitude of just get on with it now. I didn't vote on it and just wish they would do what they need to do either way and concentrate on more pressing issues like the environment/climate change/survival of mankind.
  • Work - I am freelance and finding it tough to get established and the rates I can charge here are slightly depressing. That said, the cost of living is much cheaper so I just have to remember this. It will take time and I will keep plugging away at it.
Thats all I can think of for now. Not here to gloat if you are down reading this - just trying to share my experience. Hope you are all well

b

Last edited by BtotheR; May 7th 2019 at 11:43 am.
BtotheR is offline  
Old May 7th 2019, 12:52 pm
  #37  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Scheck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by BtotheR View Post
So a update - just 10 days shy of the original post when we were deciding to move back to the UK.

Things are going really well and we do not regret our decision to move back one bit so far after 6 months. We bought a house in Kendal in Cumbria and couldn't be more pleased. Its been great reacquainting ourselves with old friends and making new ones. So here are some positives and negatives from me, bearing in mind I had been living in NZ since my early 20s some 15 years ago. I lived and breathed NZ, became and Kiwi, had a house, car, cats and never thought I would return but after having a family it felt like the right time to do it. It wasn't easy at all but I just wanted to share our information for anyone who might want or need it.

appreciate this is maybe quite specific to the area we have moved back to, you couldn't pay me enough to move to London or any large UK city.

Main pluses
  • The countryside and walks - its open to everyone - you can go pretty much everywhere! The freedom you feel in places especially like the lakes and dales is like nothing else. South island is stunning yes but a lot of it is owned and private or so isolated you would hardly ever go there. As a big walker I can't get enough of it. Even just around Kendal we have small walks with nature trails we can take our little one on all for free and walkable from our house.
  • National Trust - we became members upon our return and can now go to loads of places around the country without paying and the places are BRILLIANT. Alan Bank in Grasmere on a sunny afternoon? Yes please!
  • Family - A stones throw away. Our little girl will grow up by her grandparents and auntie who all adore her - I couldn't be more happy about this.
  • Friends just pop round - its so much easier, always seemed to have to be so arranged in advance in our circles in Auckland - but here it happens spontaniously which is so refreshing.
  • Motorways - people keep to the left (!). Its a small thing but something NZ has lacked eduction on/in and therefore the roads run more smoothly (yes with more traffic on them even) and more safely without crazy undertaking everywhere!
  • Houses/Central Heating - Yes maybe smaller and closer together but warm and easier maintenance. Pricewise not half a million quid for nicely painted large wooden shed with damp issues. Central heating should never be under rated.
  • Music and TV - turn on the radio you hear music that is familiar and 'good' music. Turn on the TV and its not all American shows.
  • Birds - the sounds of British birds in the morning when you wake up - its just homely.
  • Prices - normality of the cost of things is finally back.
  • People say hello - yes the great British "Morning" or "Hello" to complete strangers is still strong, especially in the North of England.
  • Pubs - You know what I mean on this - British pubs have always been the best. I especially don't miss the small town NZ "pubs" with flouro lights, rugby memorabilia everywhere, terrible beer and moustached locals giving you a sideways look.
  • Football - I don't have to watch it on my laptop in my pyjamas on my own anymore - its a social affair and exciting to be back around it!
  • Weather - yes weather! We have had weeks of 20+ degrees up here already and according to our local friends, it has been doing this the last few years most likely and sadly due to climate change. For me those warm temperatures are just right and not humid which used to kill me in Auckland. Yes it will be rainy more but hey it rains a lot in Auckland too and being cold is more manageable here as homes are warm and you don't need a mortgage for warm clothes.
Bad bits:
  • Supermarket plastic. My god, everything is wrapped in something here and when you think of the scale things are bought on here due to population it is frightening!
  • Coffee - it is still mainly awful. Large cups of boiling milk with no froth and a hint of burned coffee. Barely anywhere knows actually what a real flat white is here. All the machines are button timed things that teenage staff can work and no barista skills employed. There are some artisan cafes around with better results but we are seriously looking at buying a Rocket coffee machine before we go cold Turkey! NZ coffee is the best I have known and the cafe scene is brilliant in Auckland and Wellington especially.
  • Brexit. Mainly just due to it dragging. Everyone who is a Remainer talks openly about it as though everyone in the room agrees with them whilst the Leavers just keep quiet. Despite what you read/hear from what we see here the country is split with generally a attitude of just get on with it now. I didn't vote on it and just wish they would do what they need to do either way and concentrate on more pressing issues like the environment/climate change/survival of mankind.
  • Work - I am freelance and finding it tough to get established and the rates I can charge here are slightly depressing. That said, the cost of living is much cheaper so I just have to remember this. It will take time and I will keep plugging away at it.
Thats all I can think of for now. Not here to gloat if you are down reading this - just trying to share my experience. Hope you are all well

b
I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm doing this the opposite way around. We're from the Lakes and just started the process of moving to NZ. Thank you for the recent update! It confirms a lot of things that we know we're going to miss but also what we're getting back to (I miss that NZ coffee!) and a few things we're looking forward to getting away from. It's interesting to read this from a Cumbrian perspective. The sudden rural/slower pace of life of NZ must be such a shock to those moving there from places like London or other big UK cities. We wondered if we were better prepared for it being from here (it helps that we've lived in NZ for a year too). Only time will tell though!

Good luck with your freelancing and hopefully Farrer's helps fill the coffee void!
Scheck is offline  
Old May 7th 2019, 1:04 pm
  #38  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by Scheck View Post
I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm doing this the opposite way around. We're from the Lakes and just started the process of moving to NZ. Thank you for the recent update! It confirms a lot of things that we know we're going to miss but also what we're getting back to (I miss that NZ coffee!) and a few things we're looking forward to getting away from. It's interesting to read this from a Cumbrian perspective. The sudden rural/slower pace of life of NZ must be such a shock to those moving there from places like London or other big UK cities. We wondered if we were better prepared for it being from here (it helps that we've lived in NZ for a year too). Only time will tell though!

Good luck with your freelancing and hopefully Farrer's helps fill the coffee void!
Hi there - good to hear from a local on here! Farrers is doing a winning trade from us at the moment - as is About Time which is actually quite good down New Shambles lane. Good luck with your move - if you need any advice with your move just holla

b

BtotheR is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2019, 10:24 am
  #39  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Attached are a couple of short sound files I recorded in our gardens. One from our old home in NZ inMay last year, the other this May from our home in the UK.

Just out of interest - which sounds more homely for people on here now?


Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Nz evening sounds May 2018.mp3 (330.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: mp3
Uk evening sounds May 2019.mp3 (520.3 KB, 53 views)
BtotheR is offline  
Old Jun 4th 2019, 11:19 pm
  #40  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,334
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by BtotheR View Post
Attached are a couple of short sound files I recorded in our gardens. One from our old home in NZ inMay last year, the other this May from our home in the UK.

Just out of interest - which sounds more homely for people on here now?
It is a little bit quiet to make out the birds. I think the UK one has church bells also? Did the NZ one have the ubiquitous tuis ?

I love all birds but you cannot beat a good mix of northern hemisphere woodland or urban birdsong. There again that is what I grew up with so I would love it.

Are you watching the BBC springwatch? I can't get it but I try to see the snippets.

BEVS is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:09 am
  #41  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 41
Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by BtotheR View Post
Attached are a couple of short sound files I recorded in our gardens. One from our old home in NZ inMay last year, the other this May from our home in the UK.

Just out of interest - which sounds more homely for people on here now?
Just out of interest maybe record the lake district one again in November to make it like for like.
Ex Bristol is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:29 pm
  #42  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol View Post
Just out of interest maybe record the lake district one again in November to make it like for like.
Ok...
BtotheR is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:35 pm
  #43  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2017
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 77
BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
It is a little bit quiet to make out the birds. I think the UK one has church bells also? Did the NZ one have the ubiquitous tuis ?

I love all birds but you cannot beat a good mix of northern hemisphere woodland or urban birdsong. There again that is what I grew up with so I would love it.

Are you watching the BBC springwatch? I can't get it but I try to see the snippets.
Hey BEVS. SHouldn't be all that quiet - have you got your volume turned up??

NZ one had a distant Morepork chirping away with a few crickets or sicators in there too. Uk one had church bells yes - seems Wednesday evenings is bell practise night so you get a lot coming from all directions.

Not watching spring watch no, we have got out of the habit of watching torrestrial tv after years of NZ's appalling ones and now watch everything online (I'm sure it would be on BBC on demand if we had it).

Ex Bristol - I get what your getting at asking for sound clips in November but it was more just to show the change in sounds we are having at exactly the same time of year from last year and asking which is now more homely for people on here now. Depending on which one they choose - I though it might shine a light on if NZ is actually more home for people now.

Last edited by BtotheR; Jun 5th 2019 at 1:00 pm.
BtotheR is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:24 pm
  #44  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 41
Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by BtotheR View Post
Hey BEVS. SHouldn't be all that quiet - have you got your volume turned up??

NZ one had a distant Morepork chirping away with a few crickets or sicators in there too. Uk one had church bells yes - seems Wednesday evenings is bell practise night so you get a lot coming from all directions.

Not watching spring watch no, we have got out of the habit of watching torrestrial tv after years of NZ's appalling ones and now watch everything online (I'm sure it would be on BBC on demand if we had it).

Ex Bristol - I get what your getting at asking for sound clips in November but it was more just to show the change in sounds we are having at exactly the same time of year from last year and asking which is now more homely for people on here now. Depending on which one they choose - I though it might shine a light on if NZ is actually more home for people now.
I love those birds that go back to uk from Africa every year. I was in Lake district in June 2018 on a tour, loved it, only there were too many tourists like me!!!
Ex Bristol is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 10:29 pm
  #45  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,334
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by BtotheR View Post
Hey BEVS. SHouldn't be all that quiet - have you got your volume turned up??
Probably my own earholes .

NZ one had a distant Morepork chirping away with a few crickets or cicadas in there too. Uk one had church bells yes - seems Wednesday evenings is bell practise night so you get a lot coming from all directions.
Now. Ya see . I thought I could hear an owl in the NZ one but was expecting the wretched Tuis.

We had an owl in situ for a few years . Used to perch outside the dining room window.


BEVS is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.