British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-moved-back-nz-lake-district-uk-896855/)

Moses2013 May 19th 2017 7:30 am

Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255833)
Was supposed to say mindset not midget - damn autocorrect!

Thanks SparkelyDiva for taking the time to respond - I feel with your personal and professional experience you are well placed to give a good balanced perspective.

I did move back to the Uk about 10 years ago now after being here for 3 years previous - it was great to be back especially for the first 6 months and then I started to wonder what I had done. 18 months later I was fortunate my old job wanted me back and I was able to return. I guess that what makes me so hesitant now as I don't want to make the same mistake but with a baby on the way its awful not being close to my family (other half isn't close to her fam here).

I miss the Lake District being close, the right to roam (NZ isa too privately owned everywhere!) I miss cheap good beer in nice pubs, I miss not being able to pop and see my family. I don't miss the chavs, the pound land town centres or the constant media frenzy about getting nuked or blown up by terrorists.

Whats the answer I don't know. Maybe it is mindset and definitely not the midget.

One thing is employment. It doesn't seem to have come up but will you actually need work? I know family is important but if you are losing out finacially and can't afford the things you have in NZ now, what then?

BtotheR May 19th 2017 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12255888)
One thing is employment. It doesn't seem to have come up but will you actually need work? I know family is important but if you are losing out finacially and can't afford the things you have in NZ now, what then?

I don't believe anything financial has been mentioned at all Moses??? I find your responses a little confusing - maybe you were/are a politician? No offence intended - just a observation 😉

Moses2013 May 19th 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255943)
I don't believe anything financial has been mentioned at all Moses??? I find your responses a little confusing - maybe you were/are a politician? No offence intended - just a observation 😉

Well that's my point;). All good and well but was just curious if you would need work etc. that's usually the first thing that comes up here and was surprised it hadn't been mentioned.

Maybe you don't need work, have a job but that would seem to be another factor.

Sparkleydiva May 19th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255833)
Was supposed to say mindset not midget - damn autocorrect!

Thanks SparkelyDiva for taking the time to respond - I feel with your personal and professional experience you are well placed to give a good balanced perspective.

I did move back to the Uk about 10 years ago now after being here for 3 years previous - it was great to be back especially for the first 6 months and then I started to wonder what I had done. 18 months later I was fortunate my old job wanted me back and I was able to return. I guess that what makes me so hesitant now as I don't want to make the same mistake but with a baby on the way its awful not being close to my family (other half isn't close to her fam here).

I miss the Lake District being close, the right to roam (NZ isa too privately owned everywhere!) I miss cheap good beer in nice pubs, I miss not being able to pop and see my family. I don't miss the chavs, the pound land town centres or the constant media frenzy about getting nuked or blown up by terrorists.

Whats the answer I don't know. Maybe it is mindset and definitely not the midget.

I don't have an answer unfortunately either, but as you have done this before I think you are right to be somewhat hesitant. Last time things worked out for your to return easily to NZ.

I can understand the longing for specific places, mine was what I thought was home in Scotland but actually it isn't anymore as I said previously. I do think mindset (or midget) is one of the factors and mine wasn't particularly positive or open last year and we have given up so much for what I, and my immediate family, feel was a mistake. One we will, in time, rectify.

The ideal of the pubs etc is fine, and there are some lovely ones down here and they allow dogs in too which is great, but poundland towns centres are everywhere, with chavs a plenty unfortunately. There is also an undercurrent of racism stirred up, no doubt, by the brexit vote last year. I never really thought this would be happening and the financial uncertainty of the UK is somewhat alarming.

The media are a nightmare for sure, but I do find that overall I don't think about terrorism, same as when we were in Auckland. I know Devon isn't the most likely target, but there is a huge naval port here in Plymouth with the nuclear submarines; but even when in London I don't feel unduly safe, it is just hyped up and those who favour UKIP take notice!

Do you have the option of taking 6-12 months out to come over but leave your belongings in storage, or rent your property out for example, just so you don't shift everything and find it a problem again? Those same issues are still here for sure. If you do, I would strongly suggest that might be one way forward.

I certainly won't stay here beyond the UK leaving the EU, as I think disaster is looming unfortunately.

Pom_Chch May 19th 2017 3:33 pm

I'm not completely sure if my post is helpful or relevant, but I thought I would share anyway!

I've just been on holiday back to the UK. Whilst my partner and I had a great time, it's just not somewhere I yearn to live. I love being a tourist in UK! We explored the Jurassic coastline, sat in quaint little pubs, took in the country side and enjoyed our time with friends and family. BUT, I still have no feelings of wanting to live there because there are factors of lifestyle that I know would grind me down. The traffic (ESP commuting), the cost of property in Dorset (where I would choose to live), the unknown future, the undertone of racism/xenophobia, the British media overhyping everything (and a lot of the population believing the hype!), economic future with job security. And the chavs up north, it's like a different country! Newcastle could be so lovely if not for the drunken hen/stag parties munted before midday! Don't even get me started on Sunderland, crikey.

Plus life is just too sweet to give up in NZ and I have felt homesick for NZ! Despite popular belief on this forum - you can earn well, you can have a great lifestyle and sometimes the grass is greener for a lot of people who make the move to NZ :)

Sparkleydiva May 21st 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12256126)
I'm not completely sure if my post is helpful or relevant, but I thought I would share anyway!

I've just been on holiday back to the UK. Whilst my partner and I had a great time, it's just not somewhere I yearn to live. I love being a tourist in UK! We explored the Jurassic coastline, sat in quaint little pubs, took in the country side and enjoyed our time with friends and family. BUT, I still have no feelings of wanting to live there because there are factors of lifestyle that I know would grind me down. The traffic (ESP commuting), the cost of property in Dorset (where I would choose to live), the unknown future, the undertone of racism/xenophobia, the British media overhyping everything (and a lot of the population believing the hype!), economic future with job security. And the chavs up north, it's like a different country! Newcastle could be so lovely if not for the drunken hen/stag parties munted before midday! Don't even get me started on Sunderland, crikey.

Plus life is just too sweet to give up in NZ and I have felt homesick for NZ! Despite popular belief on this forum - you can earn well, you can have a great lifestyle and sometimes the grass is greener for a lot of people who make the move to NZ :)

I completely agree with you Pom_Chch and I think this answers the question posted by Snap Shot too. Alcohol isn't a new issue but the number of people who only want to go out and get wasted at the weekend has shocked me. They don't go to enjoy themselves, but only to be so trashed they can't function the next day. One colleague confessed to me that she had recently been so drunk she had no idea how she got home and into bed, now considering they were 40+ years old, in a relationship and working in a professional role - I wasn't entirely sure what to say to be honest... (not nursing).

I also agree that you can make a good living in NZ, but I don't necessarily think everyone can. If you have a profession that is in demand with good qualifications and/or experience then I think you can.

I do wish we hadn't shifted lock, stock and barrel, but you live and learn but with the looming election and Brexit, wherever we end up it wont be in the UK for more than another year.

jayandbill May 23rd 2017 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12254762)
We were in NZ for six years with 3 children. We ended up leaving one there. We were on the North Shore.
We moved back to North Yorkshire having never been here before. NZ was boring to me, lovely scenery but i felt retired. I wanted a life still, Europe, shops. Thats just me.
I have never ever wished i was back in NZ. I love where i am. I agree the weathers not great but hey we had crap summers in NZ sometimes.
Everyones different. It definitely depends what you want. For now were happy here, who knows we may go back one day.

we've been in NZ for 7 years because our children and grandchildren came. everyone mocks the British weather but it hasn't been great this year here. bucketfuls of rain and now in May the house is freezing even with Double glazing and insulation. I find NZ boring, the scenery is nice but no better than Britain. But scenery is all there is here. drive for miles and see nothing but scenery, no history or quaint villages. Once you've done the tourist spots here there's nowhere left to go. I miss jumping on the train to London - there in an hour - Europe, a decent transport system and Central heating. NZ is too far away from anywhere. I would go back tomorrow but my daughter is here, son's gone to Oz. I've been back 3 times and when I'm there I feel I belong. As a Military family years ago we've lived in many places abroad but I'm truly homesick here. Perhaps it's my age.

maquis May 23rd 2017 9:46 am

On a slightly different tack, I found the maternity care in the public system to be so much better in New Zealand than where we lived in Kent. Other parts of the UK may be different. If you have the choice, I'd stay in NZ until after the birth!

scrubbedexpat094 May 25th 2017 12:47 am

Originally Posted by jayandbill (Post 12258148)
we've been in NZ for 7 years because our children and grandchildren came. everyone mocks the British weather but it hasn't been great this year here. bucketfuls of rain and now in May the house is freezing even with Double glazing and insulation. I find NZ boring, the scenery is nice but no better than Britain. But scenery is all there is here. drive for miles and see nothing but scenery, no history or quaint villages. Once you've done the tourist spots here there's nowhere left to go. I miss jumping on the train to London - there in an hour - Europe, a decent transport system and Central heating. NZ is too far away from anywhere. I would go back tomorrow but my daughter is here, son's gone to Oz. I've been back 3 times and when I'm there I feel I belong. As a Military family years ago we've lived in many places abroad but I'm truly homesick here. Perhaps it's my age.

We don't have children but many of your points ring true for me too. We've been here for over 10 years now and I have no sense of belonging. I feel like I'm waiting to die and I'm 52!!
We were in Europe and the UK last year and I felt so relaxed there. I felt much healthier, ate better than I do here and my depression melted away.
Here I'm on anti-depressants all year round whereas when we lived in the UK I just needed them to get me through S.A.D..

For the past two years my health has gradually deteriorated and in the past 9 months I've been seen by a doctor or hospital dept. at least once a week :( . I was supposed to be getting back into midwifery to aid our return to the UK next year but I have been so ill that I'm not able to concentrate on my studies or get myself motivated. I feel like a failure.

Many of our closest friends have moved away, so I feel very lonely.
The scenery is beautiful but I miss the history that is all around us in the UK. The weather this past year has been terrible and despite the HRV and heat pumps in our house I'm still freezing in the house when the temperature drops.

OP - as a Lancashire lass, I've spent a fair amount of time in the Lake District but I wouldn't want to live there due to all the tourist traffic. It is very wet as well....the clues in the title :lol:. Have you thought about the Eden Valley, beautiful countryside & far fewer tourists.

smudge1 May 25th 2017 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12260016)
We don't have children but many of your points ring true for me too. We've been here for over 10 years now and I have no sense of belonging. I feel like I'm waiting to die and I'm 52!!
We were in Europe and the UK last year and I felt so relaxed there. I felt much healthier, ate better than I do here and my depression melted away.
Here I'm on anti-depressants all year round whereas when we lived in the UK I just needed them to get me through S.A.D..

For the past two years my health has gradually deteriorated and in the past 9 months I've been seen by a doctor or hospital dept. at least once a week :( . I was supposed to be getting back into midwifery to aid our return to the UK next year but I have been so ill that I'm not able to concentrate on my studies or get myself motivated. I feel like a failure.

Many of our closest friends have moved away, so I feel very lonely.
The scenery is beautiful but I miss the history that is all around us in the UK. The weather this past year has been terrible and despite the HRV and heat pumps in our house I'm still freezing in the house when the temperature drops.

OP - as a Lancashire lass, I've spent a fair amount of time in the Lake District but I wouldn't want to live there due to all the tourist traffic. It is very wet as well....the clues in the title :lol:. Have you thought about the Eden Valley, beautiful countryside & far fewer tourists.

Vitalstatistix your post really resonated with me. That could have been me writing about 'waiting to die' and the feeling of not belonging. I felt exactly the same way.

We returned to UK in February after 13 years in NZ and I feel that I am slowly coming back to life. I understand perfectly what Sparkleydiva is saying about the chav culture and the pound shop towns...that has been a big shock to me, things have really changed in that respect. There is definitely an air of depression and gloom around some towns which was never there when we left (we lived in a thriving little town with bustling shops and a 'genteel' boutiquey shopping arcade..now half the shops are empty and the ones that are there are cheap and cheerful).

However we are lucky to live surrounded by beautiful countryside and we have decided to avoid the main towns wherever possible and concentrate in the positives of the more rural living. We are close enough to London to enjoy being able to go there whenever we feel like it (if we can afford the tickets!) and since we've been back we are really making the most of our National Trust membership and getting out and about visiting lots of interesting places. We are enjoying the local pubs for their atmosphere and food..our local down the road was used by Oliver Cromwell as a stopover on his way to London I believe :-).

We were lucky that our age (I'm 60 and OH is 62) my husband managed to get a transfer back here with the company he worked for in NZ. We have just exchanged on a house and due to move in next week (the house we've been renting for the past few months has been a nightmare but that's a different story...). Once we are settled into the new house I will set about trying to find work...that will be a challenge at my age but I am living in hope..

All in all, I am happy to be 'home' for the time being and to enjoy the feeling of being alive again whilst we can....even with all the stressors and negatives currently abundant here. I want to make the most of the history, the culture, the proximity to Europe and general opportunities that I found very limited in NZ.

However, as with Sparkleydiva I can see that there may come a time (possibly when real retirement comes) that we may wish to welcome the peacefulness and 'boredom' of NZ again...never say never.

Snap Shot May 25th 2017 2:48 pm

chav culture and the pound shop towns...

You've never lived in regional New Zealand, have you ?

barnsleymat May 25th 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12260391)
chav culture and the pound shop towns...

You've never lived in regional New Zealand, have you ?

I love the pound shops, I buy loads of stuff in em for my business and for me. There's stuff in those quid shops that'd be $15 in NZ.

You don't see many chavs about nowadays, it seems to have moved on. Don't get me wrong there's some rough uns about but it's the same in the poor areas of NZ. It's just instead of them been bold, holding a can.of fosters, in a tracky and riding a BMX in NZ they're long haired, holding a can of V, wearing a black hoodie and driving a 30 year old V6.

NZ isn't Ponsonby

Snap Shot May 26th 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12260468)
I love the pound shops, I buy loads of stuff in em

They were a godsend when we returned from NZ last November. We couldn't make one bottle of shampoo and one bottle of shower gel plus other toiletries last for 2 months. Why would we ? (Just to be clear, there were no toiletries in our container either.)

We had no Christmas decorations. Ten quid in a pound shop saw to that i.e. a small light up tree plus other bits and bobs.

Things you don't even think of i.e. stationery - have we got any envelopes ?

We rented somewhere fully furnished for a few weeks on arrival. Yeah, furniture but no bed linen, kitchen utensils etc.

Steve Junion May 26th 2017 2:36 pm

I find this very interesting, because I'm quite the opposite really. I'm a NZ'er by birth but since I have a Brit mother I am in the UK living here easily enough. But i miss home. I never found Auckland boring but then again I grew up there so have networks of people etc, and always liked the outdoor lifestyle. I also really miss the houses as the houses are tiny in the UK, but everyone here seems to think it's normal. I also struggle with the sheer amount of people and the lack of space compared to NZ.

I guess it's just what you are used to really. I think growing up in a place sets your expectations somewhat.

Pom_Chch May 26th 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Junion (Post 12260981)
I also really miss the houses as the houses are tiny in the UK, but everyone here seems to think it's normal. I also struggle with the sheer amount of people and the lack of space compared to NZ

This I understand! I also struggled with the amount of people and traffic. It can be an absolute ball ache to do the simplest of chores sometimes. That is something I really like about where we live. Once you're out of Chch (even then the traffic isn't that bad) the roads are so quiet. You never really have to think about how long it's going to take, will there be traffic, can I park, how much is parking etc etc. Nice 'n easy! The only thing you have to worry about is the locals on the roads :scaredhair: