British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-moved-back-nz-lake-district-uk-896855/)

BtotheR May 17th 2017 6:01 am

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Hi all. We are considering moving back too the UK and want to be up north in the Lake District near where I am from. My other half is from here in NZ and we have a baby due soon so we would have a load of paperwork etc to do if its even to be considered. I've been here for over 13 years now but just get the calling of home and its especially bad now with baby on the way and all the family is over there.

But I just wanted to know has anyone done the same and moved to the Lakes? Just want to know if the bad weather or lifestyle in anyway has made anyone regret making the move back to this part of the country?

We have a great lifestyle here in Auckland - a lot to give up if we did it - just wanted to know anyone else experience that may be close to this.

Thanks!
B

Sparkleydiva May 17th 2017 6:20 am

Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

we returned 12 months ago because of the pull of home and it has been a huge huge mistake. We were in the North West for 6 months and now in Devon. Apart from my job, which is great experience, this for us has been a disaster.

We gave up a great lifestyle and income which we regret, we lived in Red Beach, for a UK that is so different, with different values and the most awful weather. I can count on one hand, how many sunny bbq days in 12 months. It rains and is so grey. Currently we are getting 14c and its mid may.

It isnt just weather for us, it is the entire lifestyle we miss. My adult daughters are the same, despite them being based in London which is what they wanted. So my suggestion is visit for a lengthy period to check it out first. That said i loved it for the first couple of months, but as reality set in....i so wish we hadnt moved permanently.

It is no longer home...with the realisation that home is no longer a specific country for me...which has come at a huge personal and financial cost.

Good luck

barnsleymat May 17th 2017 6:40 am

We've recently moved back to the UK and one of the big factors was us having a baby and all our family being in the UK.

Best thing we ever did.

We were in Dunedin and the weather in Yorkshire has been much much better than what we left behind.

Moses2013 May 17th 2017 7:43 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12254240)
Hi all. We are considering moving back too the UK and want to be up north in the Lake District near where I am from. My other half is from here in NZ and we have a baby due soon so we would have a load of paperwork etc to do if its even to be considered. I've been here for over 13 years now but just get the calling of home and its especially bad now with baby on the way and all the family is over there.

But I just wanted to know has anyone done the same and moved to the Lakes? Just want to know if the bad weather or lifestyle in anyway has made anyone regret making the move back to this part of the country?

We have a great lifestyle here in Auckland - a lot to give up if we did it - just wanted to know anyone else experience that may be close to this.

Thanks!
B

Great lifestyle is different for everyone and just depends what you mean with it. For Sparkleydiva it might be the bbq's, for others it might be the shopping etc. We moved to Ireland from UK and lived in the sunnier parts before where you have similar amounts of sun like Auckland, but we've had far more bbq's here.

Why? Work shorter hours, have a plot that actually get's sun compared to the small flat we had before. Built a nice decking that is protected from the wind and rain, so even when it's 14 and sunny like yesterday, underneath the polycarbonate roof it was 25 and I was sitting out in shorts LOL. As you can see, we're all different, some can adapt and little things can make a huge difference. I can't comment on lake district but if other things are right, it's not that hard to make adjustments.

Snap Shot May 17th 2017 12:49 pm

We've been back in Britain for six months after nearly six years in NZ.

We now live in Droitwich, Worcestershire. We didn't return to Surrey where we used to live. Property to either rent or buy is better value in Worcestershire. We would move to another part of the UK if my husband got an attractive job offer which meant we had to relocate.

We've both got temporary jobs whilst looking for permanent jobs. We've yet to be unemployed for months on end like we were in NZ. My, 'personal best' for being unemployed so far stands at 18months. (Thanks NZ, I couldn't have achieved that milestone without you. Yes, I was being sarcastic.) OK, I did voluntary work as an interim measure so my cv didn't look like a total write off.

My kiwi husband says returning to Britain was the right thing to do. We're happy here.

I feel sure of myself again.

(A couple of weeks ago I imagined what it would be like returning to where we used to live in NZ. I could feel myself starting to hyperventilate, like a panic attack was coming on.)

Spacecake799 May 17th 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12254240)

Thanks!
B

We were in NZ for six years with 3 children. We ended up leaving one there. We were on the North Shore.
We moved back to North Yorkshire having never been here before. NZ was boring to me, lovely scenery but i felt retired. I wanted a life still, Europe, shops. Thats just me.
I have never ever wished i was back in NZ. I love where i am. I agree the weathers not great but hey we had crap summers in NZ sometimes.
Everyones different. It definitely depends what you want. For now were happy here, who knows we may go back one day.

BtotheR May 17th 2017 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12254285)
Great lifestyle is different for everyone and just depends what you mean with it. For Sparkleydiva it might be the bbq's, for others it might be the shopping etc. We moved to Ireland from UK and lived in the sunnier parts before where you have similar amounts of sun like Auckland, but we've had far more bbq's here.

Why? Work shorter hours, have a plot that actually get's sun compared to the small flat we had before. Built a nice decking that is protected from the wind and rain, so even when it's 14 and sunny like yesterday, underneath the polycarbonate roof it was 25 and I was sitting out in shorts LOL. As you can see, we're all different, some can adapt and little things can make a huge difference. I can't comment on lake district but if other things are right, it's not that hard to make adjustments.

Thanks Moses - where abouts in Ireland gets more sun than Auckland out of interest??

Thanks to everyone so far sharing their experiences :thumbsup:

B

BtotheR May 17th 2017 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva (Post 12254245)
we returned 12 months ago because of the pull of home and it has been a huge huge mistake. We were in the North West for 6 months and now in Devon. Apart from my job, which is great experience, this for us has been a disaster.

We gave up a great lifestyle and income which we regret, we lived in Red Beach, for a UK that is so different, with different values and the most awful weather. I can count on one hand, how many sunny bbq days in 12 months. It rains and is so grey. Currently we are getting 14c and its mid may.

It isnt just weather for us, it is the entire lifestyle we miss. My adult daughters are the same, despite them being based in London which is what they wanted. So my suggestion is visit for a lengthy period to check it out first. That said i loved it for the first couple of months, but as reality set in....i so wish we hadnt moved permanently.

It is no longer home...with the realisation that home is no longer a specific country for me...which has come at a huge personal and financial cost.

Good luck

Hey Sparkely - how long were you here in NZ and away from the Uk to feel such a difference?

Thanks,

B

Woodlea May 18th 2017 3:05 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12254918)
Thanks Moses - where abouts in Ireland gets more sun than Auckland out of interest??

Well it ain't Dublin

https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...Dublin,Ireland

or Dingle

https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...dingle,Ireland

here's Auckland

https://weather-and-climate.com/aver...nd,New-Zealand

Moses is on the potcheen again!

Sparkleydiva May 18th 2017 5:45 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12254919)
Hey Sparkely - how long were you here in NZ and away from the Uk to feel such a difference?

Thanks,

B

We moved to NZ in 2006 and will have been back a year next week.

Moses2013 May 18th 2017 6:22 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12254918)

Thanks to everyone so far sharing their experiences :thumbsup:

B

I said: We moved to Ireland from UK and lived in the sunnier parts before where you have similar amounts of sun like Auckland.

Meant UK, for example Jersey & Kent:lol:. Weather here would be like lake district. As said, if everything else is right you can always make adjustments. Here I enjoy longer evenings in summer compared to Kent + shorter working hours etc. so that meakes up for it.

BtotheR May 18th 2017 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva (Post 12255079)
We moved to NZ in 2006 and will have been back a year next week.

Hey Sparkleydiva - just found some of your posts from about this time last year talking about feeling like you don't belong here in NZ and didn't want to die here etc.

Just wanted to know what you would have done differently when you were obviously feeling quite lost here even after so long? Are you going to try and get back here or try another part of the UK?

Do you think its just a midget wherever you are?

Sparkleydiva May 18th 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255105)
Hey Sparkleydiva - just found some of your posts from about this time last year talking about feeling like you don't belong here in NZ and didn't want to die here etc.

Just wanted to know what you would have done differently when you were obviously feeling quite lost here even after so long? Are you going to try and get back here or try another part of the UK?

It's a really interesting and, as yet, unanswered dilemma. To give a little perspective my father died in the UK while in NZ, now 5 years ago and my job over there was in community palliative care, which was certainly very influential in my feelings at that time; as I cared for so many people who weren't kiwi.

I would say I wasn't in a great space. Now coming back here I work in higher education, teaching research methods etc and love this; a. Because it's my field of interest and b. Because I no longer face death and all of its stressors every day. This has been a massive change for me. I am still passionate about good end of life care BUT being removed from it has allowed me to reflect more.

The one positive of being here is my job opportunity which, if we do decide to move on, stands me in really good stead for career progression and this step from clinical to academia would have been much more difficult in NZ - as I had tried a few times over the years.

I do think that belonging is an interesting concept and one I havent yet answered either but have come to accept that as long as family are nearby I'm ok with life. We are unlikely to try somewhere else in the UK as some of my issues are fundamental to UK culture as a whole. I thought I missed shopping and theatre and so on, but actually we did quite a lot in NZ and regularly went to Aussie for some events too and I rarely visit the shops.

With the benefit of hindsight we should have put our belongings in storage for 6 months and given it a try...things would now be easier to change...

Will we stay here, very unlikely in the long term. In the immediate short term (this year) we will stay, if for nothing else than my work experience.

Snap Shot May 18th 2017 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva (Post 12255114)
some of my issues are fundamental to UK culture as a whole.

I'm curious as to what these are, in your view.

BtotheR May 19th 2017 3:41 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255105)

Was supposed to say mindset not midget - damn autocorrect!

Thanks SparkelyDiva for taking the time to respond - I feel with your personal and professional experience you are well placed to give a good balanced perspective.

I did move back to the Uk about 10 years ago now after being here for 3 years previous - it was great to be back especially for the first 6 months and then I started to wonder what I had done. 18 months later I was fortunate my old job wanted me back and I was able to return. I guess that what makes me so hesitant now as I don't want to make the same mistake but with a baby on the way its awful not being close to my family (other half isn't close to her fam here).

I miss the Lake District being close, the right to roam (NZ isa too privately owned everywhere!) I miss cheap good beer in nice pubs, I miss not being able to pop and see my family. I don't miss the chavs, the pound land town centres or the constant media frenzy about getting nuked or blown up by terrorists.

Whats the answer I don't know. Maybe it is mindset and definitely not the midget.

Moses2013 May 19th 2017 7:30 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255833)

Thanks SparkelyDiva for taking the time to respond - I feel with your personal and professional experience you are well placed to give a good balanced perspective.

I did move back to the Uk about 10 years ago now after being here for 3 years previous - it was great to be back especially for the first 6 months and then I started to wonder what I had done. 18 months later I was fortunate my old job wanted me back and I was able to return. I guess that what makes me so hesitant now as I don't want to make the same mistake but with a baby on the way its awful not being close to my family (other half isn't close to her fam here).

I miss the Lake District being close, the right to roam (NZ isa too privately owned everywhere!) I miss cheap good beer in nice pubs, I miss not being able to pop and see my family. I don't miss the chavs, the pound land town centres or the constant media frenzy about getting nuked or blown up by terrorists.

Whats the answer I don't know. Maybe it is mindset and definitely not the midget.

One thing is employment. It doesn't seem to have come up but will you actually need work? I know family is important but if you are losing out finacially and can't afford the things you have in NZ now, what then?

BtotheR May 19th 2017 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12255888)
One thing is employment. It doesn't seem to have come up but will you actually need work? I know family is important but if you are losing out finacially and can't afford the things you have in NZ now, what then?

I don't believe anything financial has been mentioned at all Moses??? I find your responses a little confusing - maybe you were/are a politician? No offence intended - just a observation 😉

Moses2013 May 19th 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255943)
I don't believe anything financial has been mentioned at all Moses??? I find your responses a little confusing - maybe you were/are a politician? No offence intended - just a observation 😉

Well that's my point;). All good and well but was just curious if you would need work etc. that's usually the first thing that comes up here and was surprised it hadn't been mentioned.

Maybe you don't need work, have a job but that would seem to be another factor.

Sparkleydiva May 19th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12255833)

I don't have an answer unfortunately either, but as you have done this before I think you are right to be somewhat hesitant. Last time things worked out for your to return easily to NZ.

I can understand the longing for specific places, mine was what I thought was home in Scotland but actually it isn't anymore as I said previously. I do think mindset (or midget) is one of the factors and mine wasn't particularly positive or open last year and we have given up so much for what I, and my immediate family, feel was a mistake. One we will, in time, rectify.

The ideal of the pubs etc is fine, and there are some lovely ones down here and they allow dogs in too which is great, but poundland towns centres are everywhere, with chavs a plenty unfortunately. There is also an undercurrent of racism stirred up, no doubt, by the brexit vote last year. I never really thought this would be happening and the financial uncertainty of the UK is somewhat alarming.

The media are a nightmare for sure, but I do find that overall I don't think about terrorism, same as when we were in Auckland. I know Devon isn't the most likely target, but there is a huge naval port here in Plymouth with the nuclear submarines; but even when in London I don't feel unduly safe, it is just hyped up and those who favour UKIP take notice!

Do you have the option of taking 6-12 months out to come over but leave your belongings in storage, or rent your property out for example, just so you don't shift everything and find it a problem again? Those same issues are still here for sure. If you do, I would strongly suggest that might be one way forward.

I certainly won't stay here beyond the UK leaving the EU, as I think disaster is looming unfortunately.

Pom_Chch May 19th 2017 3:33 pm

I'm not completely sure if my post is helpful or relevant, but I thought I would share anyway!

I've just been on holiday back to the UK. Whilst my partner and I had a great time, it's just not somewhere I yearn to live. I love being a tourist in UK! We explored the Jurassic coastline, sat in quaint little pubs, took in the country side and enjoyed our time with friends and family. BUT, I still have no feelings of wanting to live there because there are factors of lifestyle that I know would grind me down. The traffic (ESP commuting), the cost of property in Dorset (where I would choose to live), the unknown future, the undertone of racism/xenophobia, the British media overhyping everything (and a lot of the population believing the hype!), economic future with job security. And the chavs up north, it's like a different country! Newcastle could be so lovely if not for the drunken hen/stag parties munted before midday! Don't even get me started on Sunderland, crikey.

Plus life is just too sweet to give up in NZ and I have felt homesick for NZ! Despite popular belief on this forum - you can earn well, you can have a great lifestyle and sometimes the grass is greener for a lot of people who make the move to NZ :)

Sparkleydiva May 21st 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12256126)
I'm not completely sure if my post is helpful or relevant, but I thought I would share anyway!

I've just been on holiday back to the UK. Whilst my partner and I had a great time, it's just not somewhere I yearn to live. I love being a tourist in UK! We explored the Jurassic coastline, sat in quaint little pubs, took in the country side and enjoyed our time with friends and family. BUT, I still have no feelings of wanting to live there because there are factors of lifestyle that I know would grind me down. The traffic (ESP commuting), the cost of property in Dorset (where I would choose to live), the unknown future, the undertone of racism/xenophobia, the British media overhyping everything (and a lot of the population believing the hype!), economic future with job security. And the chavs up north, it's like a different country! Newcastle could be so lovely if not for the drunken hen/stag parties munted before midday! Don't even get me started on Sunderland, crikey.

Plus life is just too sweet to give up in NZ and I have felt homesick for NZ! Despite popular belief on this forum - you can earn well, you can have a great lifestyle and sometimes the grass is greener for a lot of people who make the move to NZ :)

I completely agree with you Pom_Chch and I think this answers the question posted by Snap Shot too. Alcohol isn't a new issue but the number of people who only want to go out and get wasted at the weekend has shocked me. They don't go to enjoy themselves, but only to be so trashed they can't function the next day. One colleague confessed to me that she had recently been so drunk she had no idea how she got home and into bed, now considering they were 40+ years old, in a relationship and working in a professional role - I wasn't entirely sure what to say to be honest... (not nursing).

I also agree that you can make a good living in NZ, but I don't necessarily think everyone can. If you have a profession that is in demand with good qualifications and/or experience then I think you can.

I do wish we hadn't shifted lock, stock and barrel, but you live and learn but with the looming election and Brexit, wherever we end up it wont be in the UK for more than another year.

jayandbill May 23rd 2017 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12254762)
We were in NZ for six years with 3 children. We ended up leaving one there. We were on the North Shore.
We moved back to North Yorkshire having never been here before. NZ was boring to me, lovely scenery but i felt retired. I wanted a life still, Europe, shops. Thats just me.
I have never ever wished i was back in NZ. I love where i am. I agree the weathers not great but hey we had crap summers in NZ sometimes.
Everyones different. It definitely depends what you want. For now were happy here, who knows we may go back one day.

we've been in NZ for 7 years because our children and grandchildren came. everyone mocks the British weather but it hasn't been great this year here. bucketfuls of rain and now in May the house is freezing even with Double glazing and insulation. I find NZ boring, the scenery is nice but no better than Britain. But scenery is all there is here. drive for miles and see nothing but scenery, no history or quaint villages. Once you've done the tourist spots here there's nowhere left to go. I miss jumping on the train to London - there in an hour - Europe, a decent transport system and Central heating. NZ is too far away from anywhere. I would go back tomorrow but my daughter is here, son's gone to Oz. I've been back 3 times and when I'm there I feel I belong. As a Military family years ago we've lived in many places abroad but I'm truly homesick here. Perhaps it's my age.

maquis May 23rd 2017 9:46 am

On a slightly different tack, I found the maternity care in the public system to be so much better in New Zealand than where we lived in Kent. Other parts of the UK may be different. If you have the choice, I'd stay in NZ until after the birth!

scrubbedexpat094 May 25th 2017 12:47 am

Originally Posted by jayandbill (Post 12258148)
we've been in NZ for 7 years because our children and grandchildren came. everyone mocks the British weather but it hasn't been great this year here. bucketfuls of rain and now in May the house is freezing even with Double glazing and insulation. I find NZ boring, the scenery is nice but no better than Britain. But scenery is all there is here. drive for miles and see nothing but scenery, no history or quaint villages. Once you've done the tourist spots here there's nowhere left to go. I miss jumping on the train to London - there in an hour - Europe, a decent transport system and Central heating. NZ is too far away from anywhere. I would go back tomorrow but my daughter is here, son's gone to Oz. I've been back 3 times and when I'm there I feel I belong. As a Military family years ago we've lived in many places abroad but I'm truly homesick here. Perhaps it's my age.

We don't have children but many of your points ring true for me too. We've been here for over 10 years now and I have no sense of belonging. I feel like I'm waiting to die and I'm 52!!
We were in Europe and the UK last year and I felt so relaxed there. I felt much healthier, ate better than I do here and my depression melted away.
Here I'm on anti-depressants all year round whereas when we lived in the UK I just needed them to get me through S.A.D..

For the past two years my health has gradually deteriorated and in the past 9 months I've been seen by a doctor or hospital dept. at least once a week :( . I was supposed to be getting back into midwifery to aid our return to the UK next year but I have been so ill that I'm not able to concentrate on my studies or get myself motivated. I feel like a failure.

Many of our closest friends have moved away, so I feel very lonely.
The scenery is beautiful but I miss the history that is all around us in the UK. The weather this past year has been terrible and despite the HRV and heat pumps in our house I'm still freezing in the house when the temperature drops.

OP - as a Lancashire lass, I've spent a fair amount of time in the Lake District but I wouldn't want to live there due to all the tourist traffic. It is very wet as well....the clues in the title :lol:. Have you thought about the Eden Valley, beautiful countryside & far fewer tourists.

smudge1 May 25th 2017 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12260016)
We don't have children but many of your points ring true for me too. We've been here for over 10 years now and I have no sense of belonging. I feel like I'm waiting to die and I'm 52!!
We were in Europe and the UK last year and I felt so relaxed there. I felt much healthier, ate better than I do here and my depression melted away.
Here I'm on anti-depressants all year round whereas when we lived in the UK I just needed them to get me through S.A.D..

For the past two years my health has gradually deteriorated and in the past 9 months I've been seen by a doctor or hospital dept. at least once a week :( . I was supposed to be getting back into midwifery to aid our return to the UK next year but I have been so ill that I'm not able to concentrate on my studies or get myself motivated. I feel like a failure.

Many of our closest friends have moved away, so I feel very lonely.
The scenery is beautiful but I miss the history that is all around us in the UK. The weather this past year has been terrible and despite the HRV and heat pumps in our house I'm still freezing in the house when the temperature drops.

OP - as a Lancashire lass, I've spent a fair amount of time in the Lake District but I wouldn't want to live there due to all the tourist traffic. It is very wet as well....the clues in the title :lol:. Have you thought about the Eden Valley, beautiful countryside & far fewer tourists.

Vitalstatistix your post really resonated with me. That could have been me writing about 'waiting to die' and the feeling of not belonging. I felt exactly the same way.

We returned to UK in February after 13 years in NZ and I feel that I am slowly coming back to life. I understand perfectly what Sparkleydiva is saying about the chav culture and the pound shop towns...that has been a big shock to me, things have really changed in that respect. There is definitely an air of depression and gloom around some towns which was never there when we left (we lived in a thriving little town with bustling shops and a 'genteel' boutiquey shopping arcade..now half the shops are empty and the ones that are there are cheap and cheerful).

However we are lucky to live surrounded by beautiful countryside and we have decided to avoid the main towns wherever possible and concentrate in the positives of the more rural living. We are close enough to London to enjoy being able to go there whenever we feel like it (if we can afford the tickets!) and since we've been back we are really making the most of our National Trust membership and getting out and about visiting lots of interesting places. We are enjoying the local pubs for their atmosphere and food..our local down the road was used by Oliver Cromwell as a stopover on his way to London I believe :-).

We were lucky that our age (I'm 60 and OH is 62) my husband managed to get a transfer back here with the company he worked for in NZ. We have just exchanged on a house and due to move in next week (the house we've been renting for the past few months has been a nightmare but that's a different story...). Once we are settled into the new house I will set about trying to find work...that will be a challenge at my age but I am living in hope..

All in all, I am happy to be 'home' for the time being and to enjoy the feeling of being alive again whilst we can....even with all the stressors and negatives currently abundant here. I want to make the most of the history, the culture, the proximity to Europe and general opportunities that I found very limited in NZ.

However, as with Sparkleydiva I can see that there may come a time (possibly when real retirement comes) that we may wish to welcome the peacefulness and 'boredom' of NZ again...never say never.

Snap Shot May 25th 2017 2:48 pm

chav culture and the pound shop towns...

You've never lived in regional New Zealand, have you ?

barnsleymat May 25th 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12260391)
chav culture and the pound shop towns...

You've never lived in regional New Zealand, have you ?

I love the pound shops, I buy loads of stuff in em for my business and for me. There's stuff in those quid shops that'd be $15 in NZ.

You don't see many chavs about nowadays, it seems to have moved on. Don't get me wrong there's some rough uns about but it's the same in the poor areas of NZ. It's just instead of them been bold, holding a can.of fosters, in a tracky and riding a BMX in NZ they're long haired, holding a can of V, wearing a black hoodie and driving a 30 year old V6.

NZ isn't Ponsonby

Snap Shot May 26th 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12260468)
I love the pound shops, I buy loads of stuff in em

They were a godsend when we returned from NZ last November. We couldn't make one bottle of shampoo and one bottle of shower gel plus other toiletries last for 2 months. Why would we ? (Just to be clear, there were no toiletries in our container either.)

We had no Christmas decorations. Ten quid in a pound shop saw to that i.e. a small light up tree plus other bits and bobs.

Things you don't even think of i.e. stationery - have we got any envelopes ?

We rented somewhere fully furnished for a few weeks on arrival. Yeah, furniture but no bed linen, kitchen utensils etc.

Steve Junion May 26th 2017 2:36 pm

I find this very interesting, because I'm quite the opposite really. I'm a NZ'er by birth but since I have a Brit mother I am in the UK living here easily enough. But i miss home. I never found Auckland boring but then again I grew up there so have networks of people etc, and always liked the outdoor lifestyle. I also really miss the houses as the houses are tiny in the UK, but everyone here seems to think it's normal. I also struggle with the sheer amount of people and the lack of space compared to NZ.

I guess it's just what you are used to really. I think growing up in a place sets your expectations somewhat.

Pom_Chch May 26th 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Junion (Post 12260981)
I also really miss the houses as the houses are tiny in the UK, but everyone here seems to think it's normal. I also struggle with the sheer amount of people and the lack of space compared to NZ

This I understand! I also struggled with the amount of people and traffic. It can be an absolute ball ache to do the simplest of chores sometimes. That is something I really like about where we live. Once you're out of Chch (even then the traffic isn't that bad) the roads are so quiet. You never really have to think about how long it's going to take, will there be traffic, can I park, how much is parking etc etc. Nice 'n easy! The only thing you have to worry about is the locals on the roads :scaredhair:

BtotheR Sep 26th 2017 8:34 am

Bump - just to see if anyone else new has had a similar experience?? Thanks

BtotheR Oct 19th 2018 6:55 am

So since starting this thread nearly 18 months ago we have finally got everything into place to be able to move back and try to get into the Lake District which is close to where I am originally from. We got the visa through today so we will make the move in the next 2-3 weeks.

I just thought I would revisit this to highlight to anyone thinking about doing the same to show how long it actually takes. We got snagged at every stage possible it seemed from a lengthly house sale due timid buyers and removing a requisition that Auckland council dragged their extremely slow and expensive heels on, and then the visa for my partner which is paaaainful when dealing with UKVI. I swear every employee that works at UKVI email centre should be politicians as they can avoid answering simple questions on multiple attempts! We have had to sell up, send our cats over, have our gear wrapped up and taken away for shipping and now live in a rental waiting for the visa to come through (we could only apply once the house sale had gone through - long story!), all whilst coping with our first child who wasn't even born when I started this thread.

We decided to go for it a year ago now - and only just have got to this point now. I'm not saying everyone will have the same amount of problems we did but hey it just might take longer than you think and isn't easy.

Fingers crossed we can get our target of living in the Lakes - it will be great, if not cold, to be back. Being close to family will be great! Will update how it goes if anyone is interested.

b

escapedtonz Oct 19th 2018 5:52 pm

Good luck with the move back.
A truly beautiful part of the country. Visited often throughout my childhood living in NW England and after mum/step-dad retired to The Lakes in 1997 it became my second home.
They live in Allithwaite (between Grange Over Sands and Cartmel).

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2018 9:28 pm

look forward to the updates

BtotheR Oct 22nd 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12580273)
Good luck with the move back.
A truly beautiful part of the country. Visited often throughout my childhood living in NW England and after mum/step-dad retired to The Lakes in 1997 it became my second home.
They live in Allithwaite (between Grange Over Sands and Cartmel).

Thank you - I know Allithwaite well :) Will keep this updated Mrs. Fychan thanks :)

BtotheR May 7th 2019 10:13 am

So a update - just 10 days shy of the original post when we were deciding to move back to the UK.

Things are going really well and we do not regret our decision to move back one bit so far after 6 months. We bought a house in Kendal in Cumbria and couldn't be more pleased. Its been great reacquainting ourselves with old friends and making new ones. So here are some positives and negatives from me, bearing in mind I had been living in NZ since my early 20s some 15 years ago. I lived and breathed NZ, became and Kiwi, had a house, car, cats and never thought I would return but after having a family it felt like the right time to do it. It wasn't easy at all but I just wanted to share our information for anyone who might want or need it.

appreciate this is maybe quite specific to the area we have moved back to, you couldn't pay me enough to move to London or any large UK city.

Main pluses
  • The countryside and walks - its open to everyone - you can go pretty much everywhere! The freedom you feel in places especially like the lakes and dales is like nothing else. South island is stunning yes but a lot of it is owned and private or so isolated you would hardly ever go there. As a big walker I can't get enough of it. Even just around Kendal we have small walks with nature trails we can take our little one on all for free and walkable from our house.
  • National Trust - we became members upon our return and can now go to loads of places around the country without paying and the places are BRILLIANT. Alan Bank in Grasmere on a sunny afternoon? Yes please!
  • Family - A stones throw away. Our little girl will grow up by her grandparents and auntie who all adore her - I couldn't be more happy about this.
  • Friends just pop round - its so much easier, always seemed to have to be so arranged in advance in our circles in Auckland - but here it happens spontaniously which is so refreshing.
  • Motorways - people keep to the left (!). Its a small thing but something NZ has lacked eduction on/in and therefore the roads run more smoothly (yes with more traffic on them even) and more safely without crazy undertaking everywhere!
  • Houses/Central Heating - Yes maybe smaller and closer together but warm and easier maintenance. Pricewise not half a million quid for nicely painted large wooden shed with damp issues. Central heating should never be under rated.
  • Music and TV - turn on the radio you hear music that is familiar and 'good' music. Turn on the TV and its not all American shows.
  • Birds - the sounds of British birds in the morning when you wake up - its just homely.
  • Prices - normality of the cost of things is finally back.
  • People say hello - yes the great British "Morning" or "Hello" to complete strangers is still strong, especially in the North of England.
  • Pubs - You know what I mean on this - British pubs have always been the best. I especially don't miss the small town NZ "pubs" with flouro lights, rugby memorabilia everywhere, terrible beer and moustached locals giving you a sideways look.
  • Football - I don't have to watch it on my laptop in my pyjamas on my own anymore - its a social affair and exciting to be back around it!
  • Weather - yes weather! We have had weeks of 20+ degrees up here already and according to our local friends, it has been doing this the last few years most likely and sadly due to climate change. For me those warm temperatures are just right and not humid which used to kill me in Auckland. Yes it will be rainy more but hey it rains a lot in Auckland too and being cold is more manageable here as homes are warm and you don't need a mortgage for warm clothes.
Bad bits:
  • Supermarket plastic. My god, everything is wrapped in something here and when you think of the scale things are bought on here due to population it is frightening!
  • Coffee - it is still mainly awful. Large cups of boiling milk with no froth and a hint of burned coffee. Barely anywhere knows actually what a real flat white is here. All the machines are button timed things that teenage staff can work and no barista skills employed. There are some artisan cafes around with better results but we are seriously looking at buying a Rocket coffee machine before we go cold Turkey! NZ coffee is the best I have known and the cafe scene is brilliant in Auckland and Wellington especially.
  • Brexit. Mainly just due to it dragging. Everyone who is a Remainer talks openly about it as though everyone in the room agrees with them whilst the Leavers just keep quiet. Despite what you read/hear from what we see here the country is split with generally a attitude of just get on with it now. I didn't vote on it and just wish they would do what they need to do either way and concentrate on more pressing issues like the environment/climate change/survival of mankind.
  • Work - I am freelance and finding it tough to get established and the rates I can charge here are slightly depressing. That said, the cost of living is much cheaper so I just have to remember this. It will take time and I will keep plugging away at it.
Thats all I can think of for now. Not here to gloat if you are down reading this - just trying to share my experience. Hope you are all well

b

Scheck May 7th 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12680282)
So a update - just 10 days shy of the original post when we were deciding to move back to the UK.

Things are going really well and we do not regret our decision to move back one bit so far after 6 months. We bought a house in Kendal in Cumbria and couldn't be more pleased. Its been great reacquainting ourselves with old friends and making new ones. So here are some positives and negatives from me, bearing in mind I had been living in NZ since my early 20s some 15 years ago. I lived and breathed NZ, became and Kiwi, had a house, car, cats and never thought I would return but after having a family it felt like the right time to do it. It wasn't easy at all but I just wanted to share our information for anyone who might want or need it.

appreciate this is maybe quite specific to the area we have moved back to, you couldn't pay me enough to move to London or any large UK city.

Main pluses
  • The countryside and walks - its open to everyone - you can go pretty much everywhere! The freedom you feel in places especially like the lakes and dales is like nothing else. South island is stunning yes but a lot of it is owned and private or so isolated you would hardly ever go there. As a big walker I can't get enough of it. Even just around Kendal we have small walks with nature trails we can take our little one on all for free and walkable from our house.
  • National Trust - we became members upon our return and can now go to loads of places around the country without paying and the places are BRILLIANT. Alan Bank in Grasmere on a sunny afternoon? Yes please!
  • Family - A stones throw away. Our little girl will grow up by her grandparents and auntie who all adore her - I couldn't be more happy about this.
  • Friends just pop round - its so much easier, always seemed to have to be so arranged in advance in our circles in Auckland - but here it happens spontaniously which is so refreshing.
  • Motorways - people keep to the left (!). Its a small thing but something NZ has lacked eduction on/in and therefore the roads run more smoothly (yes with more traffic on them even) and more safely without crazy undertaking everywhere!
  • Houses/Central Heating - Yes maybe smaller and closer together but warm and easier maintenance. Pricewise not half a million quid for nicely painted large wooden shed with damp issues. Central heating should never be under rated.
  • Music and TV - turn on the radio you hear music that is familiar and 'good' music. Turn on the TV and its not all American shows.
  • Birds - the sounds of British birds in the morning when you wake up - its just homely.
  • Prices - normality of the cost of things is finally back.
  • People say hello - yes the great British "Morning" or "Hello" to complete strangers is still strong, especially in the North of England.
  • Pubs - You know what I mean on this - British pubs have always been the best. I especially don't miss the small town NZ "pubs" with flouro lights, rugby memorabilia everywhere, terrible beer and moustached locals giving you a sideways look.
  • Football - I don't have to watch it on my laptop in my pyjamas on my own anymore - its a social affair and exciting to be back around it!
  • Weather - yes weather! We have had weeks of 20+ degrees up here already and according to our local friends, it has been doing this the last few years most likely and sadly due to climate change. For me those warm temperatures are just right and not humid which used to kill me in Auckland. Yes it will be rainy more but hey it rains a lot in Auckland too and being cold is more manageable here as homes are warm and you don't need a mortgage for warm clothes.
Bad bits:
  • Supermarket plastic. My god, everything is wrapped in something here and when you think of the scale things are bought on here due to population it is frightening!
  • Coffee - it is still mainly awful. Large cups of boiling milk with no froth and a hint of burned coffee. Barely anywhere knows actually what a real flat white is here. All the machines are button timed things that teenage staff can work and no barista skills employed. There are some artisan cafes around with better results but we are seriously looking at buying a Rocket coffee machine before we go cold Turkey! NZ coffee is the best I have known and the cafe scene is brilliant in Auckland and Wellington especially.
  • Brexit. Mainly just due to it dragging. Everyone who is a Remainer talks openly about it as though everyone in the room agrees with them whilst the Leavers just keep quiet. Despite what you read/hear from what we see here the country is split with generally a attitude of just get on with it now. I didn't vote on it and just wish they would do what they need to do either way and concentrate on more pressing issues like the environment/climate change/survival of mankind.
  • Work - I am freelance and finding it tough to get established and the rates I can charge here are slightly depressing. That said, the cost of living is much cheaper so I just have to remember this. It will take time and I will keep plugging away at it.
Thats all I can think of for now. Not here to gloat if you are down reading this - just trying to share my experience. Hope you are all well

b

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm doing this the opposite way around. We're from the Lakes and just started the process of moving to NZ. Thank you for the recent update! It confirms a lot of things that we know we're going to miss but also what we're getting back to (I miss that NZ coffee!) and a few things we're looking forward to getting away from. It's interesting to read this from a Cumbrian perspective. The sudden rural/slower pace of life of NZ must be such a shock to those moving there from places like London or other big UK cities. We wondered if we were better prepared for it being from here (it helps that we've lived in NZ for a year too). Only time will tell though!

Good luck with your freelancing and hopefully Farrer's helps fill the coffee void!

BtotheR May 7th 2019 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scheck (Post 12680355)
I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm doing this the opposite way around. We're from the Lakes and just started the process of moving to NZ. Thank you for the recent update! It confirms a lot of things that we know we're going to miss but also what we're getting back to (I miss that NZ coffee!) and a few things we're looking forward to getting away from. It's interesting to read this from a Cumbrian perspective. The sudden rural/slower pace of life of NZ must be such a shock to those moving there from places like London or other big UK cities. We wondered if we were better prepared for it being from here (it helps that we've lived in NZ for a year too). Only time will tell though!

Good luck with your freelancing and hopefully Farrer's helps fill the coffee void!

Hi there - good to hear from a local on here! Farrers is doing a winning trade from us at the moment - as is About Time which is actually quite good down New Shambles lane. Good luck with your move - if you need any advice with your move just holla :thumbup:

b

BtotheR Jun 4th 2019 10:24 am

2 Attachment(s)
Attached are a couple of short sound files I recorded in our gardens. One from our old home in NZ inMay last year, the other this May from our home in the UK.

Just out of interest - which sounds more homely for people on here now?

BEVS Jun 4th 2019 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12693150)
Attached are a couple of short sound files I recorded in our gardens. One from our old home in NZ inMay last year, the other this May from our home in the UK.

Just out of interest - which sounds more homely for people on here now?

It is a little bit quiet to make out the birds. I think the UK one has church bells also? Did the NZ one have the ubiquitous tuis ?

I love all birds but you cannot beat a good mix of northern hemisphere woodland or urban birdsong. There again that is what I grew up with so I would love it.

Are you watching the BBC springwatch? I can't get it but I try to see the snippets.