Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Old Jun 11th 2019, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Ooooh! Thank you Moses2013. The www.dogfriendly.com site is great too!
Old Jun 11th 2019, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
Ooooh! Thank you Moses2013. The www.dogfriendly.com site is great too!
You're welcome. Not sure about cost of living compared to other places, but I've heard a lot of positive things from the Isle of Man and I suppose it's a good mix of everything (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales).
Maybe not for everyone but could be an option.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Wow! Such an interesting read here!
Planning on moving back to UK (after 40 years away) but have been going back to visit every 2 years to visit my family (2 brothers, 1 sister...all older than me) I was 16 when I was moved away from my siblings to Adelaide in Australia (mother re-married) Have been homesick ever since, but life circumstances have stopped me returning sooner. Hated Australia with a passion. (peer group pressure, totally different culture) Lived there for 26 years, the 45C heat in summer nearly killed me, give me snow any day!!!! Moved to NZ 14 years ago. My Kiwi man is keen to give the UK a go even though he's never been.

NZ is beautiful, outdoorsy, quiet, casual, simple, great weather here in Kaiteriteri at the top of the South Island. Amazing birds, Tuis, Bellbirds, Grey Warblers, Song Thrushes, Moreporks, Little Owls, NZ Falcons, Quail, Wekas...the list goes on! Great Kayaking too.
However, I get bored here, and feel like I'm waiting for retirement, or worse! There's a feeling of lurking doom around ... was that an earthquake? If we go into 'town' after 5.30pm it's like a ghost town! Where IS everyone? ... watching TV

I want more life around me and things to do, places to visit and to take our Fox Terriers more places where they are actually welcome. Quite anti-dog in NZ, I think because of the Pig dog culture.
I actually wore my Ugg boots to the supermarket the other day! Maybe it's too late for me!! aaarg!

Was thinking North East Scotland where my father was from (Fyvie) ... Brothers are in Morecambe, sister in Manchester, best friend in Harrogate. Want to be close but not THAT close. Therefore contemplating the Lake District as well ... IF we can afford it. My brother worked in Kirby Lonsdale and I heard it was quite an affluent place to live. I hate big cities and crowds which does worry me a bit. I'm happy on a muddy farm with animals around me.
It's great to hear that you love it in the Lakes, it has inspired me to continue with the yards of paperwork involved to get us all over there.
Hi there Gypsy - thanks for following the thread and great to hear your story. Sounds like you have quite a lot of roots over this way, coming from Lancaster I know Morcambe very well and also went to high school in Kirkby Lonsdale so know it very well. We looked in KL when we came back, it is expensive and the variety of houses is not brilliant although there is one nice development happening at the moment just by the school (v.pricey!). It is a absolutely lovely place (They just filmed large parts of the Hollywood movie The Voyage of Dr Dolittle with Robert Downy Jr there) but in the end it was a little too small for us and seemed a bit weird for me returning there having been so far away for so long.

Another couple of places I think you should consider if you do move back. Silverdale and Arnside - just outside the lakes and great for dog walks/bird watching (look up Leighton Moss) etc, and you get a lot more for your money than in the Lakes. Or Grange over Sands - this place is a micro climate and I have spoken to and seen with my own eyes a number of people growing NZ plants as the sunshine hours and temperatures are so good there. The age range is on the older side there but I know people who have brought up young kids there too.

I know what you mean with the dog walking in NZ - we got cats in the end as it really felt like if we got a dog - where could we walk it!?? Anyway - happy with the cats and they came over here with us Dogs are everywhere here and also welcome in pubs and cafes which is really nice to see.

Anyway - good luck with getting the forms finished - keep us updated. The lakes are a great part of the UK to move back to. It won't tick all the boxes for many people and thankfully most the south of England still think they have it best - and they are welcome to it
Old Jun 13th 2019, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Soupnswings is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
I hear ya. NZ is fine enough in its own way but it is not enough for me. It is all rather samey and as a kiwi pal who left for Tassy put it , dull . *dons hard hat*
Oh the boredom is real. I have a 1 year old and I wish there was more things I could do with her here. I get jealous seeing all my friends back home taking their little ones to all these fun places and fun days and there is diddly squat here. Im in Hanmer trying to convince my kiwi partner to move nearer Christchurch. We are hopefully to visit England (Colne Lancs) next year and I’m secretly hoping he likes it and we can make the move. I feel like I don’t know what to do with the rest of my life here. Like I need to take up knitting or something.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 9:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Soupnswings

Oh the boredom is real. I have a 1 year old and I wish there was more things I could do with her here. I get jealous seeing all my friends back home taking their little ones to all these fun places and fun days and there is diddly squat here. Im in Hanmer trying to convince my kiwi partner to move nearer Christchurch. We are hopefully to visit England (Colne Lancs) next year and I’m secretly hoping he likes it and we can make the move. I feel like I don’t know what to do with the rest of my life here. Like I need to take up knitting or something.

Hanmer ? Pretty little village but in the back end of beyond and tiny. Like Kaiteriteri. Good looking place with a beach but only good if one likes the really quiet life which may suit some folk of course.

Old Jun 13th 2019, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I love Silverdale and Arnside. The Children's home I was in used to own property across from graveyard and next to old church. I have nothing but fond places of both but much knowledgable about Silverdale. I visited Silverdale 10 years ago and remembered the route to the Pepper Pot. Lovely place
Old Jun 15th 2019, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Scheck is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just seen this posted to The Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...kendal-cumbria

That's a stock photo I took! Brilliant!!

Sorry Guardian, the photographer for your article is trying to move 11,000 miles away from the place!!
Old Jun 17th 2019, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Soupnswings

Yep, that's about it! Start knitting or go nuts!
I'm in Kaiteriteri which is just as small and touristy. I feel like I'm wasting time hanging around doing nothing with my life, even though I work here! Even Nelson is boring! My partner and I even contemplated joining the R.S.A. here in Motueka for the activities ... like drinking Baa Haa Haaa ... why am I laughing?? I think I'm actually going round the bend
I think a city like Christchurch or Dunedin would be much more interesting. I like Dunedin, being a university city it has a good vibe. I'm fed up with watching grass grow...I'm planning my move back to the UK and dragging my kiwi partner of 4 years back with me. (He actually wants to go ) my hero! My fear is that we'll get back to civilisation and I won't be able to cope with it because of living in such a dead place for so long. Good Luck with finding something fun and mind-bogglingly interesting to do, BE is a fantastic site and I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas off here
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by fulwood
I love Silverdale and Arnside. The Children's home I was in used to own property across from graveyard and next to old church. I have nothing but fond places of both but much knowledgable about Silverdale. I visited Silverdale 10 years ago and remembered the route to the Pepper Pot. Lovely place
Hey Fulwood - I know the children home building you are referring too (kind of a Deco type building?) - I'm pretty sure when I passed it last it was being renovated. Pepperpot is still standing strong. Lovely part of the country out there
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scheck
I've just seen this posted to The Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...kendal-cumbria

That's a stock photo I took! Brilliant!!

Sorry Guardian, the photographer for your article is trying to move 11,000 miles away from the place!!

Hi Scheck.
Nice they used your stock shot (hope the cheque comes through the post soon) - good work.

I had seen this too and was going to post it. Nice to see Kendal get a mention though, like all places it definitely isn't perfect but it is a great place

Hope your plans to move to NZ are coming along - let me know if I can offer any advice to help
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Umbrellagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

It's been a couple of years since I was on an expat forum as I've been trying to settle here. I was contemplating the move back to the UK then but decided to try Wellington. Well, as no-one can afford Welly I'm in a ruralish suburb about 30km away. Sad to say, I don't think my feelings have changed about leaving. It's still lonely, work is limited and very poorly paid, rentals are astronomical for a decent place (we apparently have insulation and double glazing but it's still freezing and there condensation on the windows in the morning), house prices are ridiculous. I think I've decided that I can't just live on beautiful scenery and sunny days. So, what am I looking at if I move back to the UK? I'd love advice about the impact of Brexit, the job market (social work), the health system etc, how easy it is to make friends again etc. Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Umbrellagirl. Sorry to hear your situation has not improved with the move. I understand fully your predicament. We moved back two years ago and I have to say that whilst really enjoying being back with family and loving the countryside and diversity here, the shine is beginning to wear a little thin now. We were in Auckland for 13 years and I can't believe how much UK has declined in that time. The roads are full of potholes, the high streets are mostly dead except for charity shops, betting shops, pound shops, tattoo parlours and Turkish barbers... Brexit has had a very depressing effect on the economy and most people with all the uncertainty surrounding it. House prices have come down, which is great if you want to buy but rents seem to be much higher now than when we left..and fewer people are now able to afford their own homes and are stuck in the rental system..becoming much more like NZ in that respect. I have actually been working in children's services for the past 18 months (admin) and am horrified at the workload and stress put upon the social workers..they are leaving in their droves and many of them are stressed to the limit. Funding cutbacks everywhere have meant there are just too many cases for too few workers and I actually left due to the constant pressure of having to meet statutory deadlines even though nothing ever changed or improved the lives of the children in need. It felt like there was always a tragedy just waiting to happen. And we live in a relatively affluent area in the South East...I can't begin to imagine what it must be like in many of the more deprived areas of UK. So.. all in all I would think long and hard about returning to the UK if you really enjoy life in NZ. For all the negatives here at the moment, I am still glad to be back in this part of the world..NZ never felt like home to me and I never settled there. I enjoy the proximity of Europe and the amount of things to do and places to visit. However, we now realise we detest the long, dark, cold winters and can't envisage staying here forever. I don't think we would ever return to NZ permanently but we are definitely looking at options and considering retiring somewhere warmer than UK when the time comes (we've got a couple of years to go yet) and with that in mind we are looking at France or Spain....although that might be much more difficult now with the Brexit debacle taking place. There is definitely a very unsettled feeling here and I don't think it's the ideal time to return...maybe wait and see how things go after Brexit? Sorry to be the bearer of not such negativity....and this of course is only my own experience. Others may have an entirely different view and experience. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Umbrellagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

thanks for your excellent reply I have read that about social services but wondered about the actual reality. When you read the job ads they make it sound great - low caseloads, great employment extras, relocation funding. I guess it's too good to be true. There are so few social work jobs here that pay well and I left statutory social services due to huge pressures and terrrible bullying.
I think waiting to see what Brexit does is probably the best idea. Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2019, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Your are most welcome.. I do hope you find your happy place
Old Aug 6th 2019, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Soupnswings is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, that's about it! Start knitting or go nuts!
I'm in Kaiteriteri which is just as small and touristy. I feel like I'm wasting time hanging around doing nothing with my life, even though I work here! Even Nelson is boring! My partner and I even contemplated joining the R.S.A. here in Motueka for the activities ... like drinking Baa Haa Haaa ... why am I laughing?? I think I'm actually going round the bend
I think a city like Christchurch or Dunedin would be much more interesting. I like Dunedin, being a university city it has a good vibe. I'm fed up with watching grass grow...I'm planning my move back to the UK and dragging my kiwi partner of 4 years back with me. (He actually wants to go ) my hero! My fear is that we'll get back to civilisation and I won't be able to cope with it because of living in such a dead place for so long. Good Luck with finding something fun and mind-bogglingly interesting to do, BE is a fantastic site and I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas off here
Thank you so much for your lovely reply. It’s really nice to know that someone else feels the same despair haha! I think I’ve actually been to Kaiteriteri when I did a kiwi ex bus tour when I first got here. You are so lucky he wants to leave with you. I think I am slowly getting used to the fact that I will probably be here forever, and have resigned myself to having a pint of Guinness (that doesn’t taste nasty like it does here) in my local back in Colne, in my head sat at the bar at least once a day. I can almost taste it and feel the nice relaxing pub vibe and see the little doggies sat under the table. I miss dogs in pubs. I miss good pubs.
I understand this is probably a much safer place to raise a child than the uk, especially in rural parts like where I am stuck.
I just hope I can find a nice office job wherever we end up and make some good friends that won’t travel on and leave me like I was nothing to them! Breaks my heart.
i want to live somewhere less insular, there is an awful lot of bullying where I am that goes on with the locals. I’ve never before witnessed it in grown men and woman it’s awful, the fire brigade are rife for it and the ladies are so bitchy and catty. Very pretentious too. I miss real folk that care not if you’re foreign or female. Had a bad instance of racism the other wk off a sales man in the hardware store. I’ve complained and will have to see what if anything happens. Means we have to go 70miles to get our diy gear now.
I would love to check out Dunedin but I don’t even think he would go that far. He compared moving to Christchurch like me moving from England 🙄 I almost killed him. X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.