Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Old Jun 6th 2019, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

What a gorgeous owl he prob kept your place clear of mice. I must confess I can't hear the recordings although I have the sound up. There used to be a Tui where I lived before, (in Auckland) )they seem to start up really early I clocked him about 4.30.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Probably my own earholes .

Now. Ya see . I thought I could hear an owl in the NZ one but was expecting the wretched Tuis.

We had an owl in situ for a few years . Used to perch outside the dining room window.

Just tested the sound again on the files and both loud and clear when I click on them (????) - yes we had a few Moreporks at the end of the garden - tried to spot them a few times at night but they would go very quiet as soon as we went down there. Lovely photo!!!!
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Church bells in the distance
Old Jun 8th 2019, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Scheck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BtotheR
Attached are a couple of short sound files I recorded in our gardens. One from our old home in NZ inMay last year, the other this May from our home in the UK.

Just out of interest - which sounds more homely for people on here now?
I think I'm going to go against popular opinion here and say the NZ one feels much more homely and relaxing to me! I loved the sound of the different birds while I was there and have missed it so much. There was one bird that sounded like an old nokia ringtone that always cracked us up.

Perhaps it's because I've lived in the Lake District and the Yorkshire dales for 30 odd years and take it all for granted , but blimely church bells always annoyed me!
Old Jun 8th 2019, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

The Tui has been known to imitate all sorts of sounds. That's probably where your Nokia ring tone came from.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Fyi - I would provide my own Lake District bird sounds for you all to enjoy but I live next to the A590 so you would get a mix of the lovely tweeting birds and copious amounts of traffic!
Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
The Tui has been known to imitate all sorts of sounds. That's probably where your Nokia ring tone came from.
Yes we were told it was a Tui, but we always wondered why when we searched for Tui sounds online to hear it again, they never sounded like the one we heard frequently. That explains it! It was a very old nokia sound too (we're talking 90s nokia) so it must have been whistling that one for a while.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

He's probably an old Tui by now. Was he in Auckland? They pick up all sorts of sounds, reminds me of my Gallah who is next to me atmo.
Old Jun 8th 2019, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
He's probably an old Tui by now. Was he in Auckland? They pick up all sorts of sounds, reminds me of my Gallah who is next to me atmo.
It was in Manakau (the one near Wellington, not Auckland).

Well it was 10 years ago, so he/she is probably dearly departed!

Reminds me of my 2 year old... Currently telling us the border collie on TV is a cow.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! Such an interesting read here!
Planning on moving back to UK (after 40 years away) but have been going back to visit every 2 years to visit my family (2 brothers, 1 sister...all older than me) I was 16 when I was moved away from my siblings to Adelaide in Australia (mother re-married) Have been homesick ever since, but life circumstances have stopped me returning sooner. Hated Australia with a passion. (peer group pressure, totally different culture) Lived there for 26 years, the 45C heat in summer nearly killed me, give me snow any day!!!! Moved to NZ 14 years ago. My Kiwi man is keen to give the UK a go even though he's never been.

NZ is beautiful, outdoorsy, quiet, casual, simple, great weather here in Kaiteriteri at the top of the South Island. Amazing birds, Tuis, Bellbirds, Grey Warblers, Song Thrushes, Moreporks, Little Owls, NZ Falcons, Quail, Wekas...the list goes on! Great Kayaking too.
However, I get bored here, and feel like I'm waiting for retirement, or worse! There's a feeling of lurking doom around ... was that an earthquake? If we go into 'town' after 5.30pm it's like a ghost town! Where IS everyone? ... watching TV

I want more life around me and things to do, places to visit and to take our Fox Terriers more places where they are actually welcome. Quite anti-dog in NZ, I think because of the Pig dog culture.
I actually wore my Ugg boots to the supermarket the other day! Maybe it's too late for me!! aaarg!

Was thinking North East Scotland where my father was from (Fyvie) ... Brothers are in Morecambe, sister in Manchester, best friend in Harrogate. Want to be close but not THAT close. Therefore contemplating the Lake District as well ... IF we can afford it. My brother worked in Kirby Lonsdale and I heard it was quite an affluent place to live. I hate big cities and crowds which does worry me a bit. I'm happy on a muddy farm with animals around me.
It's great to hear that you love it in the Lakes, it has inspired me to continue with the yards of paperwork involved to get us all over there.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi gypsy, I've been out of uk for 53 years, a lifetime 6 of those were in Aussie. But then my parole must have come up and my husband was transferred to NZ.with his job. Been here in AK ever since
we were in Perth hated it. Too hot nothing to do in the burbs
love AK busy lots to do. No rellies left in uk so I just go back on coach trips etc. Hope you can manage to get back
Old Jun 10th 2019, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy888

Was thinking North East Scotland where my father was from (Fyvie) ... Brothers are in Morecambe, sister in Manchester, best friend in Harrogate. Want to be close but not THAT close. Therefore contemplating the Lake District as well ... IF we can afford it. My brother worked in Kirby Lonsdale and I heard it was quite an affluent place to live. I hate big cities and crowds which does worry me a bit. I'm happy on a muddy farm with animals around me.
It's great to hear that you love it in the Lakes, it has inspired me to continue with the yards of paperwork involved to get us all over there.
Sounds like it's the Isle of Man then
Old Jun 10th 2019, 10:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

However, I get bored here, and feel like I'm waiting for retirement, or worse!
If we go into 'town' after 5.30pm it's like a ghost town! Where IS everyone? ... watching TV
I want more life around me and things to do, places to visit

I hear ya. NZ is fine enough in its own way but it is not enough for me. It is all rather samey and as a kiwi pal who left for Tassy put it , dull . *dons hard hat*

Old Jun 11th 2019, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Anyone moved back from NZ to the Lake District UK?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sounds like it's the Isle of Man then
I'm not sure if you're having me on there Moses2013???
Old Jun 11th 2019, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you're having me on there Moses2013???
Not at all. Based on your post that you want to be close to family (not too close) and hate big cities, but still want life and a dog friendly place:-).
https://www.dogfriendly.im/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.