Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone made the move and work in IT?

Anyone made the move and work in IT?

Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone made the move and work in IT?

I've been granted PR, and our passports are with NZIS getting the visas stamped, but I've been reading threads like Campbells with increasing dismay

Is there *anyone* out there who has made the move and is working in IT at a fairly senior level who'd be prepared to give their opinion of working life in NZ.

The feedback I'm getting from the recruitment agents, about both the number of jobs and the salaries on offer, is quite different from what's said in some of the threads here (they're saying lots of vacancies and money that's pretty comparable with the UK outside of London).

It's the lifestyle (space, countryside, sport) which is attracting us, not money, and our kids are both at uni, so we're not worried about schooling. Cos of work it'll be Wellington or Auckland, with a slight preference for Wellington.

Any comments appreciated,

Laurence
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Panda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone made the move and work in IT?

Originally Posted by ledge
I've been granted PR, and our passports are with NZIS getting the visas stamped, but I've been reading threads like Campbells with increasing dismay

Is there *anyone* out there who has made the move and is working in IT at a fairly senior level who'd be prepared to give their opinion of working life in NZ.

The feedback I'm getting from the recruitment agents, about both the number of jobs and the salaries on offer, is quite different from what's said in some of the threads here (they're saying lots of vacancies and money that's pretty comparable with the UK outside of London).

It's the lifestyle (space, countryside, sport) which is attracting us, not money, and our kids are both at uni, so we're not worried about schooling. Cos of work it'll be Wellington or Auckland, with a slight preference for Wellington.

Laurence
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

I have a friend who has a permanent role in Wellington doing project support (not necessarily IT, I know). She's earning around $75k and loves it. She's been offered a $120k contract position in a rival bank, but can't accept as she needs to be permie in order to keep her work visa.

My hubby works in the IT field and has been told first-hand that there are many possibilities for good candidates all over NZ. The biggest hurdle is the PR, which I see you already have.

Good luck,

HTH

PP.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 3:28 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Laurence
Hi Laurence, My hub works in IT. He is a Senior Developer with about 10 years experience. He earns 100k plus bonuses at the mo. He had 3 years experience in Sydney prior to moving here and earned 85k there and we never had to watch what we spent but here it is harder to stretch your money (we only have a small mortgage which is less than the rent we paid in Oz!)

We both hate Auckland but liked Wellington but it's a bit warmer up here. All I can say is he found work in SAP easily.

We like the people here and it's very like England in a lot of ways, including making ends meet, weather and scenery (we're inland in the countryside).

He's the sort of bloke who seems to make the job go his way anyway so as for how they work over here, he says he's never had a problem and neither did he in Oz. Just his personality and positivity I suppose.

I do know a friend's hubby doing Project Manager work, currently on 150k but he's retrained and took some qualification here and is now seeking jobs 200k plus.Nice if you can get it.

Don't mean to be vulgar bandying these high salaries about (for here). The average bod has to be content with 10 bux an hour for everything from working at the local fuel station to office work or apple picking. It's very very annoying.

....Monty's Mum
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Hi Laurence, My hub works in IT. He is a Senior Developer with about 10 years experience. He earns 100k plus bonuses at the mo. He had 3 years experience in Sydney prior to moving here and earned 85k there and we never had to watch what we spent but here it is harder to stretch your money (we only have a small mortgage which is less than the rent we paid in Oz!)

We both hate Auckland but liked Wellington but it's a bit warmer up here. All I can say is he found work in SAP easily.

We like the people here and it's very like England in a lot of ways, including making ends meet, weather and scenery (we're inland in the countryside).

He's the sort of bloke who seems to make the job go his way anyway so as for how they work over here, he says he's never had a problem and neither did he in Oz. Just his personality and positivity I suppose.

I do know a friend's hubby doing Project Manager work, currently on 150k but he's retrained and took some qualification here and is now seeking jobs 200k plus.Nice if you can get it.

Don't mean to be vulgar bandying these high salaries about (for here). The average bod has to be content with 10 bux an hour for everything from working at the local fuel station to office work or apple picking. It's very very annoying.

....Monty's Mum
Thanks.....

It's good to get that feedback firsthand and not just from the recruitment agencies, and most importantly your "we like the people here" statement is good news.....some threads were making me wonder!

What's wrong with Auckland? We liked it on a quick visit, especially North Harbour areas, but housing seems more expensive and the traffic problems make it seem a bit like it would be much the same as here in terms of commuting etc

Laurence
Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:26 am
Everyone Gets A Bargain

SUNBURNT is an unknown quantity at this point

Laurence,
I moved to Auckland in April and started working as a Tier 3 Infrastructure Engineer after just a week. There is a lot around at the moment, more Full Time than contracting but would say youll have a lot of calls once youve put your CV out there. On the pay side of things Im contracting and its more than I would earn in the UK (before the nasty tax man gest his hands on it) and with the general cost of living it does work out better. NZ is crying out for experienced IT people and you wont have any troubles finding a well paid position.
I work on the North Shore, good for me as I live there so dont have to hit the dreaded harbour bridge at rush hour, but there are companies recruiting from all over. Dont put your CV with too many agencies as the market is very small and youll end up looking desperate. I can recommend Hudson.
Dont know too much about Welly, I was there this weekend and can tell you it looks a nice city but very windy.
Be glad to help out further if need, just pop me a mail
Cheers
Neil

Laurence