Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Tauranga

Anyone live in Tauranga

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone live in Tauranga

HI,
If you live in Papamoa can you get into Tauranga boys school? If i managed to get a job there, how long would it take me to drive there in a morning and is there a bus for the children to get there?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marbles
HI,
If you live in Papamoa can you get into Tauranga boys school? If i managed to get a job there, how long would it take me to drive there in a morning and is there a bus for the children to get there?

I`m sure that you can live in Papamoa and get your son into Tauranga Boys and there is definately a bus that picks up in several places around Papamoa. The bus takes around half an hour because of other pick ups but you should be able to drive it in 20-30 minutes easy.
Ash
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:57 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Tauranga Boys Website link;

http://www.tbc.school.nz/
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Abster21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I am doing abit of research for my family, i have a brother who is 17 going on 18, and I am 21, and was wondering what Tauranga was like for people our age, is there plenty to do nightlife wise?Or is more of a family-retirement destination? cheers
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

What is welcome bay like? I hear there are good schools there? Is it nice if you accept you are not directly next to the sea?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abster21
Hi there, I am doing abit of research for my family, i have a brother who is 17 going on 18, and I am 21, and was wondering what Tauranga was like for people our age, is there plenty to do nightlife wise?Or is more of a family-retirement destination? cheers

Hi,

Tauranga is a thriving little city, full of youth. They have an area called The Strand which is full of bars and clubs and on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday night it is heaving with people of all ages. Alot of places have live music and open till 4:00 AM. I certainly wouldn`t class it as a retirement destination. Plenty to do here for all ages.
Ash
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

What is welcome bay like? I hear there are good schools there? Is it nice if you accept you are not directly next to the sea?

Hi

Some parts of Welcome Bay are next to the inland water area but it is tidal so tends to dissappear at low tide. The views in some areas are great and it is one of the cheaper areas to live. Its a 10 minute drive to Tauranga and about 15 mins to the beach at either Papamoa or The Mount.
Ash
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

What is welcome bay like?
Selwyn Ridge is a very good primary school and it is sited in an attractive part of Welcome Bay. Some parts of Welcome Bay have subsidence and erosion problems. High winds can be an issue in exposed hilltop areas.There is a very small shopping centre ( no supermarket ) which looks a bit derelict ( IMO ). The traffic into Tauranga City causes on going headaches for the City Council. All up though Welcome Bay is a very pleasant , leafy suburb. I would rate it 7 out of 10 for Tauranga.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Hokey Pokey,
If you had a choice then would you go for welcome bay or papamoa? Are there any other areas we should be looking at? My list of things we need are mainly a good primary school for my 5 & 8 yr old and good travelling distance for me to a secondary school (thats hoping i can get a job at it but at least i can try). We are not religious so that rules out the faith schools as well.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:38 pm

Sorry very late here - was sober driver for once ...

Welcome Bay is not a desirable area to live apparently, riddled with petty crime and hoons. Very hilly, no shops and pants to get into town.

Sorry, but honesty is the best policy ........
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

hey thats what i'm looking for. In wanganui where i used to live there was an area called castlecliffe which had lovely cheap houses, looked great but was an awful area which i would warn anyone off living, its now until you live there that you know it though. So because we have only been on holiday to the mount area i am looking for inside information about what the area is really like. Last time we came over there was just me and my husband but now we have 2 boys as well so we need to make the right decisions for them.
Would you say that we are better off aiming for papamoa then out of all of the areas?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to have to disagree with you Am Loolah about the area being a "crime zone " ! You may be thinking of Maungatapu and parts of Ohauiti which boarder Welcome Bay - I would certainly avoid those areas. I would consider Boscabel ( an exclusive area in Welcome Bay ) as a viable option. 3000 - 4000sqm sections with large homes , nestled into some pretty undulating countryside. I wouldn't completely write off Welcome Bay !

Marbles - if you should decide on Papamoa , please keep in mind that 3-4 years ago the region experienced a severe storm( 50 year phenomena apparently ). Check to ensure your potential new home wasn't flooded.

I think both areas have their good and bad points. If I had to choose, it would probably be Boscabel over Papamoa - only cause I like lots of space and the beach is still only a 10 minute drive away.

I would also think it worthwhile looking at other parts/ suburbs of Tauranga. What exactly are you looking for in regards to section size / house size / community etc ? Do you want your children to be able to walk to school ? Are you sure you're not a little bit religious ? IMO the best areas are situated closely around the Faith schools.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Jan 24th 2009 at 9:44 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just taken a look at this site which gives you an idea of how lovely Boscobel is. Im not a realestate agent.

http://www.nz.open2view.com/search/r...rch_id=7939418
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Hokey Pokey,
If you had a choice then would you go for welcome bay or papamoa? Are there any other areas we should be looking at? My list of things we need are mainly a good primary school for my 5 & 8 yr old and good travelling distance for me to a secondary school (thats hoping i can get a job at it but at least i can try). We are not religious so that rules out the faith schools as well.
We are not remotely religeous either but decided that the christian values would be a good influence on our daughter and she can make up her own mind whether to believe or not.

As far as areas go, as i`ve said before, Papamoa is a great starting point to rent. From there you can explore the areas that have been mentioned and make up your own mind. Its taken us 5 rentals to find where we want to be but some people find it straight away.

Good luck
Ash
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Im going to have to disagree with you Am Loolah about the area being a "crime zone " ! You may be thinking of Maungatapu and parts of Ohauiti which boarder Welcome Bay - I would certainly avoid those areas. I would consider Boscabel ( an exclusive area in Welcome Bay ) as a viable option. 3000 - 4000sqm sections with large homes , nestled into some pretty undulating countryside. I wouldn't completely write off Welcome Bay !

Marbles - if you should decide on Papamoa , please keep in mind that 3-4 years ago the region experienced a severe storm( 50 year phenomena apparently ). Check to ensure your potential new home wasn't flooded.

I think both areas have their good and bad points. If I had to choose, it would probably be Boscabel over Papamoa - only cause I like lots of space and the beach is still only a 10 minute drive away.

I would also think it worthwhile looking at other parts/ suburbs of Tauranga. What exactly are you looking for in regards to section size / house size / community etc ? Do you want your children to be able to walk to school ? Are you sure you're not a little bit religious ? IMO the best areas are situated closely around the Faith schools.

A difference of opinion is fine, you are entitled to yours as much as the next person! However, mine is equally valid - and I stand by it!

I thought Boscabel came under Ohauiti anyway - not Welcome Bay? I don't know the areas I'm afraid.

If I was coming to Tauranga to live having never been, I may narrow my area down using the internet, but not sure I would set my heart on an area - get here and mooch around. Where one person may love an area to another it may seem awful! Same with schools - browse their websites and then visit those you like when you are here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.