Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Orewa?

Anyone live in Orewa?

Old May 1st 2009, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

shee shee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone live in Orewa?

Hello all, my name is Sheelagh and I'm new to the site.

myself, my hubbie and 1 year old daughter are coming over in November for a 3 week research trip, in the hope of Emigrating, I cannot wait to get over there.

We've heard that Orewa is a nice place to live/holiday, would you recommend Orewa as being a good place to stay for 3 weeks?

What is the weather usually like in November? Do we need to take our winter colthes? Not sure at all what clothes to take as read its freezing and warm??

I'd appreciate any response!

Sheelagh

Last edited by shee shee; May 1st 2009 at 2:42 pm.
Old May 2nd 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in Orewa?

Originally Posted by shee shee
We've heard that Orewa is a nice place to live/holiday, would you recommend Orewa as being a good place to stay for 3 weeks?

For 3 weeks holiday in Orewa?
No
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If that's where you think you might like to settle, then yes it might be a good idea to base yourself there for three weeks and live like a local. It's not far to get to Auckland itself and easy enough access for exploring further North.

As always with NZ weather you need to be prepared for anything and everything all in the same week. You won't need winter clothes, but layers are always good, bring a fleece / sweatshirt or something for colder evenings and lightweight waterproof jacket. November will be a bit mixed and unpredictable, sometimes it's very summery and others quite wintery.
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Bo,

I will take your advice and take a good mix of clothes re weather.

Good to hear Orewa is a good place to be based with easy access into Auckland.

Have a good weekend and many thanks again.

Sheelagh
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We love living in Orewa. It has everything we need for daily life - supermarkets, a couple of good restaurants, other shops, a fantastic beach, great playgrounds for the kids and some nice places to walk the dog. It's a great place to live if you're going to be working in North Shore, or in the CBD (park and ride is an easy way to commute). It also gives you easy access to the areas north of the city and to the rest of the Hibiscus Coast. It's more of a place for families or older people rather than young adults who might like more of a city atmosphere. I would not recommend commuting from here to south of the CBD if you work standard hours though (fine out of rush hour, horrible in rush hour).
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Anyone live in Orewa?

Hi there,

thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Orewa sounds lovely and a great place to bring a child up, we look forward to getting there.

Your information is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sheelagh
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sheelagh, when we decided where we thought we wanted to live (Cambrige) we went out to NZ and stayed there for 2 weeks so we could really get a feel for it, day and night, shopping, sports facilities and also how close it was to my cuzzys. It was a different feeling to the usual travelling around. I think you'll learn a lot from it.Good luck and let us know how you go. I like Orewa, been there shopping and to the beach but never stayed over.
Old May 3rd 2009, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Hi Sheelagh, when we decided where we thought we wanted to live (Cambrige) we went out to NZ and stayed there for 2 weeks so we could really get a feel for it, day and night, shopping, sports facilities and also how close it was to my cuzzys. It was a different feeling to the usual travelling around. I think you'll learn a lot from it.Good luck and let us know how you go. I like Orewa, been there shopping and to the beach but never stayed over.
Hi there,

Thank you for replying to me.

I'm with you on the 'tight shorts, adrenaline fuelled action'! for sure, although I'm soccer fan at present, I'm sure I'll be tuning into the Rugby asap!!

Will definately try to get a feel for the place as much as possible in the 3 week trip, everything from shops to housing, theres so much to research.

I can't wait to get out there, it sound's a beautiful country.

Many thanks again

Sheelagh