British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone live in the area of gisborne? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-live-area-gisborne-684197/)

tkirya Sep 5th 2010 7:53 pm

Anyone live in the area of gisborne?

We have been trying to decide which area to live in if we are successful.:fingerscrossed:
we have looked at gisborne and like the look of it.:)
i am a nurse and OH is a police officer.
anyone know if that area is as nice as it seems? :confused:
we also liked bay of plenty and rotorua, any feedback welcome.
thank guys ;)

Boopy Sep 6th 2010 2:54 am

Re: Anyone live in the area of gisborne?

Originally Posted by tkirya (Post 8828188)
We have been trying to decide which area to live in if we are successful.:fingerscrossed:
thank guys ;)

Gisborne is lovely, but..... it's way out in the sticks & not much there. As an RN myself, I would suggest either Rotorua & BOP. Just my opinion....

Browner_ Sep 7th 2010 6:58 am

thank guys ;)

If your other half is a policeman, then there should be plenty of work for him in Gisborne, thats for sure. About the only work there is out there.

Genesis Sep 7th 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 8831114)
If your other half is a policeman, then there should be plenty of work for him in Gisborne, thats for sure. About the only work there is out there.

From what I know its extremely isolated and extremely beautiful. Work is scant but if you are in nursing and policing you stand a chance of getting work. However EVEN nursing jobs are getting hard to find. Not sure it is that easy in NZ for police to chose their areas like you could in the UK (I am ex UK plod). Kate is a nurse and she is always saying how our local DHB is now no longer recruiting nurses because of NZ nursing cut backs. Also heard many of the Gisborne folk are on the social and that lots of whacky baccy gets smoked up there.

lottieblair Nov 7th 2010 9:57 pm

We came over 4 weeks ago and have been staying with friends in Gisborne. Havnt found it in the slightest remote. Fantastic shops and facilities. Free bus that picks you up and takes you to the station, trains reliable and clean. People friendly, excellent monthly market. I think it is one of the more expensive places and getting busier but a good choice.

Expat Kiwi Nov 8th 2010 3:20 am

thank guys ;)

Lovely town but it does have a bit of a problem with problem with drugs, high unemployment etc. I don't think either of you will have problems finding work there to be honest.

There is a local newspaper you can read to get a feel for the place called The Gisborne Herald, it used to be a family run paper and gave a fair idea of what the town is like to live in. Probably still does for all I know.

Fooferfish Nov 10th 2010 6:11 pm

Failing that, join the place that my wife and i did a growth industry :p The Department of Corrections :lol: Lots of work there.

tkirya Nov 11th 2010 3:52 pm

thanks for all the feedback. :)
mostly negative though, :unsure: which is a shame, cos i wanted to go there, after looking at the website.
hey ho, back to the drawing board. :(

Si19761 Nov 12th 2010 6:47 am

Depending what you are looking for have a look at Napier/Hastngs, more central still on the coast and only 3 hours to Gisborne for a weekend away :D Gisborne is a nice place but comments are spot on and all roads that lead out are not the nicest if you don't travel well....