Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone like to share there experience of moving to New Zealand?

Anyone like to share there experience of moving to New Zealand?

Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:00 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone like to share there experience of moving to New Zealand?

Anyway. I'm feeling less and less like the 'blow in' here lately My sister works for an insurance company and was telling me that she's getting 'loads' of people coming in who are off to New Zealand.

Irish Eyes - is your hubby a Kiwi too? Mine is - I met him in The Netherlands about 15 years ago when he was over visiting his family for 1 year - and came back 4 years ago this month

I have one son back in Ireland and we have no kids so I can't relate on that side. But. I've never found it to be more expensive here than in Ireland. We left in 2005 and Ireland was horrendous on an 'ordinary' wage. We worked in Dublin but had to live in Mountmellick because that was where we could afford a house. That's a 50 mile commute, each way, each day. Nobody has to do that here, except by choice.

We live in Glenfield now. It takes me 40 minutes door to door to get to work by bus and I've had a workout up the hill on the way to the bus stop Hubby works in Manukau - has to be there by 9 and leaves the house at 7.45 and arrives about 8.55. He gets home in 45 minutes.

When I got here I found prices to be pretty much the same in Dollars as they were in Euro. I don't know what it's like now but can't imagine that things have got any cheaper. If you shop in Lidl then it's going to be more expensive here - if you shop in Superquinn it will be cheaper.

I've had a lovely life since I got here. I took a job that I had no interest in just to get my work permit (I didn't apply for PR until I got here) and I met my friends there. I stayed for six months and then got another job which I actually got because my manager is a huge Ireland fan - anything Irish she's just jelly at the knees Told me recently that my accent was changing and I was losing my 'novelty value' It's f e c k i n g NOT and anytime I think it might be I just get on the phone home

My work is ....interesting I work for a real estate agent from The Shankill. We have a mostly love relationship with a bit of hate thrown in to keep things sharp! The company is actually quite fantastic and out of a couple of hundred people there are three I don't like

When I was back last year I did think to myself that if you could live out in the country as my sister does and not have to travel (her husband works from home) and be mortgage free like they are, then life would be sweet. Not many people can do that though and it all just seemed too hard - for us when we were there and for most other people now - in a way that it doesn't seem like that here. Yes, we can shiver in our houses for (usually) 3 months of the year but even then you go outside and the sun is shining and the sky is blue so you don't get SAD like I used to in Ireland every flippin' October when the clocks went back - oooh I hated that

We've actually had a pretty horrendous year - bad decision making on our part - and we're basically now back to where we were (financially) a year ago. I said to my husband today that I felt it was a fairly good position to be in because we haven't lost our house and we have no unpaid bills. Even when it's shitty though - although there are times when I really really really miss seeing my family when just a 'beam me up Scotty' would do - just for a couple of hours and then leave - I don't want to move back.

But that's me. I don't say to my son that he would love it here (although I do think he would) because it has to be his decision. And no matter what anyone else says, it has to be yours!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
You probably need to change the text under your user name.

Have a great flight back

Forgot to change user name - thanks for that - it was before we came out thinking it was the promised land.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Opinions change...but give it time. I have a block of parmesan in my fridge that has lasted longer than your hopes of settling into a new country
I hope it works out for you one way or another
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broaders
To sum up I would say overhyped and not the promised land many to perceive.

Many aspects of the country are overpriced and overrated.

Cost of living very expensive.
Kiwis unfriendly, ignorant and rude.
Extremely high amount of immigration (probably a far greater % than the UK for the size of the population) - you would be surprised how many chinese / korean / eastern european / asian / south african / etc nationalities are overhere. Most dairies / florists / fish and chip shops takeways are all owned by asians. It should also be noted that most other immigrants are only using NZ as a half way house for Oz.
Tacky.
No history or culture.
Rip off mobile phone tariffs.
Crap health service.
Shocking driving standards.
Crap education system.
Crap houses and standards.
Leaky buildings all over the place.
Crap shops.
Crap fish and chips (although kiwis swear blind different)
A country that creates jobs for jobs sake so that everyone pays for something at some point - note the ridiculous amount of garages / body repair shops / MOT (sorry WOF) centres.
Oh and by the way.................shocking driving standards!!!!

I could go on a bit more but don't want to be too negative!!!!!!!

Yes we have tried the NZ experience and found it not for us and are going back to the UK for now.............don't know if we will stay in the UK but what we do know is that NZ is nothing like the expectations we had of it and certainly no improvement on the UK even in the current economic climate.

To sum up a 3rd world country charging 1st world prices.
Amazing how Auckland mirrors London.

Did you come for the blue skies, blue seas, empty roads and empty beaches?

As for immigration policy- it's not like the UK.There is no way the amount of illegal immigration in NZ You don't see gangs of Eastern European youths hanging around street corners waiting for Benefit Offices to open prior to getting back to their Mercedes/brothels/drug dens/ crime emporiums.
NZ tends to value the contribution a person can bring to NZ ,consequently most who achieve residency from wherever are hard working, qualified citizens/residents. I don't think race or nationality has that much to do with it. However I find it difficult to understand why you consider it a negative that Most dairies / florists / fish and chip shops takeaways are all owned by asians.
The fact that many Chinese are descendants of early settlers has probably escaped your notice when you did your research into NZ and its history but that is why there are a number of chinese residents , who work extremely hard long hours to make a success of their business, just as many Indian "corner shop" owners in the UK opened long hours 7 days a week to be successful and provide for their families.

I feel guilty now for criticising your view point, because it is yours and you are obviously very unhappy with NZ through your experience of it. You thought you were coming to the promised land.What was that?
A land of milk and honey; blue skies/ empty beaches/ wonderful scenery/ empty roads/ clean fresh unpolluted air/ better lifestyle and youth culture for your kids/ superior NHS/ Education/ a whiteman's enclave; superb fish and chips!!!!
Get real!
Anyone knows you can't get decent 'fish n chips' outside of Yorkshire
--F n C apart, who told you it was the promised land?
Always check it out= One man's meat is another man's poison.
Sincerely hope you find happiness wherever you settle.
Jennie
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:51 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Pretty easy really

Applied for visa got visa
Booked flights
booked removals
Gear went
rented house out
got on plane
arrived in NZ
went to rental company rented
.......3half yrs later still here

The end
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:27 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
You probably need to change the text under your user name.

Have a great flight back
I'd actually call it a very apt subtitle!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

MissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant future

Arrived 1 January. OH had a job, has taken me since February to get a job - I start on Monday. We came over with what we considered a decent amount of money - boy did that go quick. We can afford to pay the rent and eat and have been away for one weekend but that is that. The house is lovely in size but completely unfurnished and cold with the windows covered in condensation every morning. We had one fixed heater and that was it. We have had to buy a further 3 portable heaters, in the morning you can see your breath it is so cold. When the sun comes out it is warmer outside than indoors. We are returning to the UK in September as feel that NZ is not for us. I do not think we regret having tried it, just wished we had tried it when the world was not in recession. A very very costly experience.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Payens is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved to Welly in March on my own having lived in the UK all my life, with the last ten years spent in London. I can honestly say I much prefer life over here, with the pros far outweighing the cons - and I've only recently received my shipment of stuff from the UK, so life should be even more comfortable

It's difficult to advise someone else about whether they should move here, unless you know that person's likes and dislikes. Furthermore, different parts of NZ are different as far as I can make out - I've only spent a brief time in Auckland and wasn't a fan at all, would almost prefer London...

My experience of Kiwis are they are very friendly, though guarded about becoming real friends until they've sussed you out. I guess you have to try harder to make friends in that respect, but day to day life is more pleasant.

The cost of living is a tough one. There should be no illusion that cost of living is cheap over here, however it isn't exorbitant, I think. The problem is that the average kiwi wage is much lower than the UK, so prices are higher relative to wages.

On the subject of immigration, I find it ironic that anyone who's emigrated to New Zealand can complain about the abundance of immigrants from other parts of the world - you're one of them too! I too was surprised about how many 'chinese / korean / eastern european / asian / south african / etc nationalities are over here', but I choose to view this as a positive, not a negative.

There are of course negatives, the two I'd draw out are ones are driving standards or lack thereof (though generally as a pedestrian no more dangerous than in London) and housing standards are generally poor (no insulation and no central heating). Oh and a third worth mentioning is the poor tele - though you can use the internet to compensate for some shows and I actually get to do more stuff outdoors anyway!

To sum up, no one should come to NZ thinking it's the promised land. But for some people, there is definitely a better life here than in the UK. I personally wouldn't go back to the UK now!

Last edited by Payens; Jun 6th 2009 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I emigrated to NZ when I was 21 and lived there for 11 years. I have since moved over to Australia.

New Zealand IMO is a great place, but it really does depend on what you are looking for. The main reason I left was because of the substandard wages.

As others have mentioned it does have very cold houses in winter, but apart from that (and the wages) its a great place, especially to bring up kids who are for the most part, very safe there.

The people are friendly, the beaches are great and its a really nice place to live. Just don't have any expectations that it will be like the UK because it isn't, and if you want to be somewhere that is 'just like home' don't emigrate.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

In stark contrast to this, I think Fish n Chips in New Zealand are my favourite feed! Probably one of the best things about the place, I think. I always have them when I'm home to visit. At least there when you get your fish it doesn't have a big skanky bone in the middle you have to eat around. And the chips in the UK are rank, they're all white, soggy and undercooked!

I love the good old pies as well - available everywhere!

Extremely high amount of immigration (probably a far greater % than the UK for the size of the population) - you would be surprised how many chinese / korean / eastern european / asian / south african / etc nationalities are overhere. Most dairies / florists / fish and chip shops takeways are all owned by asians. It should also be noted that most other immigrants are only using NZ as a half way house for Oz.
Tacky.
No history or culture.
Crap health service.
Crap education system.
Crap shops.
A country that creates jobs for jobs sake so that everyone pays for something at some point - note the ridiculous amount of garages / body repair shops / MOT (sorry WOF) centres.

Yes we have tried the NZ experience and found it not for us and are going back to the UK for now.............don't know if we will stay in the UK but what we do know is that NZ is nothing like the expectations we had of it and certainly no improvement on the UK even in the current economic climate.

Old Jun 6th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MissSunshine
Arrived 1 January. OH had a job, has taken me since February to get a job - I start on Monday. We came over with what we considered a decent amount of money - boy did that go quick. We can afford to pay the rent and eat and have been away for one weekend but that is that. The house is lovely in size but completely unfurnished and cold with the windows covered in condensation every morning. We had one fixed heater and that was it. We have had to buy a further 3 portable heaters, in the morning you can see your breath it is so cold. When the sun comes out it is warmer outside than indoors. We are returning to the UK in September as feel that NZ is not for us. I do not think we regret having tried it, just wished we had tried it when the world was not in recession. A very very costly experience.
I have to tell you that I when we were in nz we were in 3 different areas which meant 3 different houses, all of which were unsuitable. We just didn't get the right house for us. Our friends there had really great houses (except one) I will be looking around this time for the RIGHT house as i've read so many stories here about doing this. Make sure that you are going home for the right reasons................... We went home and really regret it cause we left for all the wrong reasons. Nothing changes at home and friends have all moved on. I agree with you tho that its tough doing all this in a recession. Its so hard to be sure your doing the right thing! Only one way to find out I guess and thats to try it............ Best of luck
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

I would just like to say thank you to you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts with me on this subject. Its so important to hear all sides on what it might be like. Its great to hear the good and the bad and even the coffee side of things........... Just sipping one now actually!!! Good luck to you all
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Kiwi-Irish;7640019]In stark contrast to this, I think Fish n Chips in New Zealand are my favourite feed! Probably one of the best things about the place, I think. I always have them when I'm home to visit. At least there when you get your fish it doesn't have a big skanky bone in the middle you have to eat around. And the chips in the UK are rank, they're all white, soggy and undercooked!

Sorry K-I, but your preference for Kiwi F n Cs is borne through your comparison with London/Southern UK Fish n Chips, which are [ not only in my opinion] absolute Crap! They contain bones and are covered in thick jelly like yellow batter Yuk!
Had you ever experienced Yorkshire Fish n Chips then the lack of such a gourmet delicacy would be top of your list for things 'you miss in NZ'

However I do agree with your comments on the chips- they are often undercooked, soggy , pale pretenders of the real thing.

M-m-m-m-m. Feel hungry- but it's way too late,
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Hmm, not had Yorkshire Fish n Chips as you say. But will look to do so if I'm ever there
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Tacky.
No history or culture.
Crap health service.
Crap education system.
Crap shops.

Gosh I am glad I don't see NZ through your eyes Broaders and I am really interested in where you got your expectations from.

No history or culture.

NZ is not a small version of the UK, never was, never will be.

The Brits did not create nor conquer NZ.

It is a collection of small Pacific Islands with a small population of diverse nationalities that has a vibrant history made up of diverse cultures.

I wish you all the best for the future Broaders wherever it takes you.

NZ clearly hasn't ticked any of your boxes it seems but hey you may have to rethink your expectations about future choices you make.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.