Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone know of a good general knowledge book

Anyone know of a good general knowledge book

Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Anyone know of a good general knowledge book

I'm wanting to find a quality general knowledge book for husband. Not a question and answer book .
Remember, he is dyslexic.
A couple of years back I came across the General Book of Ignorance and he simply loved that as it was interesting and made easy reading for him.

edit...
He also likes strange facts and stuff like that.

He hoovers up facts, odd fiction and useless bits of info.

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 12th 2011 at 8:19 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:55 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know of a good general knowledge book

I loved (and often refer to) a 'Short History of Everything" by Bill Bryson.

Full of weird facts and questions.

Like why doesn't the sea get any saltier?

“Tune your television to any channel it doesn't receive and about 1 percent of the dancing static you see is accounted for by this ancient remnant of the Big Bang. The next time you complain that there is nothing on, remember that you can always watch the birth of the universe.”

“In France, a chemist named Pilatre de Rozier tested the flammability of hydrogen by gulping a mouthful and blowing across an open flame, proving at a stroke that hydrogen is indeed explosively combustible and that eyebrows are not necessarily a permanent feature of one's face.”

It's done in a narrative style, so a easy read and often very funny.

Last edited by Catchafire; Dec 12th 2011 at 8:59 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm wanting to find a quality general knowledge book for husband. Not a question and answer book .
Remember, he is dyslexic.
A couple of years back I came across the General Book of Ignorance and he simply loved that as it was interesting and made easy reading for him.

edit...
He also likes strange facts and stuff like that.

He hoovers up facts, odd fiction and useless bits of info.

Any ideas anyone?
They brought out a new QI book for Christmas QI: The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything you think you know is "Still" wrong £4.99 on Amazon if I can help?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:29 am
`

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I loved (and often refer to) a 'Short History of Everything" by Bill Bryson.

Full of weird facts and questions.

Like why doesn't the sea get any saltier?

“Tune your television to any channel it doesn't receive and about 1 percent of the dancing static you see is accounted for by this ancient remnant of the Big Bang. The next time you complain that there is nothing on, remember that you can always watch the birth of the universe.”

“In France, a chemist named Pilatre de Rozier tested the flammability of hydrogen by gulping a mouthful and blowing across an open flame, proving at a stroke that hydrogen is indeed explosively combustible and that eyebrows are not necessarily a permanent feature of one's face.”

It's done in a narrative style, so a easy read and often very funny.

Does it all read in this way? If it does, then it is a possibility. If it is otherwise bogged down with narrative and long words, then maybe not.

Clear and concise but informative. Entertaining and intelligent. That's him.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:13 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys, Mountain Men & Grizzly Bears by Matthew Mayo?

It's a series of 50 short historical accounts from the founding of the American west, most about 4 pages long with a historical background to the events summarised and then a short story about how a man who got mauled by a bear and abandoned for dead by his friends crawled 400 miles home. That kind of thing.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:06 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Aha! I know the perfect book!

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Surviva.../dp/1400049628

The Zombie Survival Guide is your key to survival against the hordes of undead who may be stalking you right now. Fully illustrated and exhaustively comprehensive, this book covers everything you need to know, including how to understand zombie physiology and behavior, the most effective defense tactics and weaponry, ways to outfit your home for a long siege, and how to survive and adapt in any territory or terrain.

Top 10 Lessons for Surviving a Zombie Attack

1. Organize before they rise!
2. They feel no fear, why should you?
3. Use your head: cut off theirs.
4. Blades don’t need reloading.
5. Ideal protection = tight clothes, short hair.
6. Get up the staircase, then destroy it.
7. Get out of the car, get onto the bike.
8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert!
9. No place is safe, only safer.
10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat lives on.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:19 am
`

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Aha! I know the perfect book! .
So very tempted.

I know . It came out a bit wrong didn't it.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:24 am

So very tempted.
He'll love it, it appeals to the inner kid, but after a while you start to take it a bit seriously, by page 30 I was wondering where I could get hold of a good machete.