Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone here dreading Christmas?

Anyone here dreading Christmas?

Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone here dreading Christmas?

Oh Santa. Stop complaining and go and give those poor hard working under paid gnomes a hand.
Geez - a lot of people would give their right hand to only have to work one night a year, and not be on call out every night.

Signed - The Tooth Fairy.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

My little boy's school sells 'Reindeer Food' at the Christmas Fair. It's brill!!!

It's made up of muesli, mixed with glitter and little stars, and you sprinkle it (on Christmas Eve) in the garden / yard / patio. The idea is that it guides the reindeer to the right house. Nice huh?

JaneAS
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:09 pm
livewire

I'm looking forward to a stroll down Franklin Road on a sultry summer evening to look at the Christmas lights

I think the rellies would quite like to go to midnight mass too. Has anyone been to the one at The Holy Trinity Cathedral on St Stevens/Parnell Road?

Last edited by livewire; Nov 4th 2005 at 9:22 pm.

Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:52 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my what a sad bunch you lot are.

Does it really matter where you spend Christmas?? Its supposed to be a season of Joy etc so best just make the most of your surroundings. Millions of people all around the world have to be away from their families over the Christmas season so youre not alone there. Just try to enjoy what you have with you & be thankful that you people who love you & your good health etc. Its only what you make it & if you are already preparing yourself for a miserable time then thats exactly what you will get. I hate the fact that I will be spending another Christmas thousands of miles from home & my family but that doesnt mean that I will be miserable & ruin it for everyone around me. No I shall get into the spirit of things, fill my house with decorations & lights, have fun buying presents for everyone & will make the most of the time I have on the phone with my family.
As the song says, Tis the season to be jolly etc so thats exactly what I intend to be this season.
Hoping that you all find someway to enjoy the season.

Cheers
Cindy
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks

I'm going to have a fab Christmas here in blighty. I shall be going down to Oxford street to see the Christmas light being switched on by some actor who has built a career on pretending to be a real Londoner accompanied by a pop idol who has attended the "New Labour Cool Britannia School For Popstars Without Ability" program. I am going to the "Winterville" (not Christmas) celebrations in Lambeth so as not to offend myself with "Blatent Christianity". I shall wish everyone "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays". No doubt I will be attending our daughter's primary school to see the "Show with some winter themes". On Holiday Eve I shall go to church and apologise to Jesus and his Dad for needing to deny them in the name of community relations and to avoid offending anyone who may not believe in them. I will stroll up the main drag in Burnt Oak and be pressurised to buy very tacky illuminated nativity waterfall visual effect framed picture with authentic water sounds from a sikh trader and witness a Salvation Army Band playing 'tunes of a wintery theme' while the glaziers replace the local shop window for eleventh time this year.

Happy holiday everyone

Happy Holidays

May we all be as cold as our rulers

Regards
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:35 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Hi folks

I'm going to have a fab Christmas here in blighty. I shall be going down to Oxford street to see the Christmas light being switched on by some actor who has built a career on pretending to be a real Londoner accompanied by a pop idol who has attended the "New Labour Cool Britannia School For Popstars Without Ability" program. I am going to the "Winterville" (not Christmas) celebrations in Lambeth so as not to offend myself with "Blatent Christianity". I shall wish everyone "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays". No doubt I will be attending our daughter's primary school to see the "Show with some winter themes". On Holiday Eve I shall go to church and apologise to Jesus and his Dad for needing to deny them in the name of community relations and to avoid offending anyone who may not believe in them. I will stroll up the main drag in Burnt Oak and be pressurised to buy very tacky illuminated nativity waterfall visual effect framed picture with authentic water sounds from a sikh trader and witness a Salvation Army Band playing 'tunes of a wintery theme' while the glaziers replace the local shop window for eleventh time this year.

Happy holiday everyone

Happy Holidays

Regards
Oh Sega your posts always make me laugh. Can just see you being forced to buy that picture
I too will forgo the religous ceremonies but will force myself to partake in a few more than usual bevvies than normal ( goes against my better judgement of course) but cant let myself be the party pooper now can I. On a more serious note the thing I detest the most about the silly season is those annoying bloody bell ringers that stand outside the stores & shake those darn bells in your face. Last year much to my hubbys shame I told one poor old gent if he continued to shove that bloody bell in my face again I would shove it where the sun dont shine Awful of me I know but honestly a person can only give so much & one cant be expected to give a donation everytime they walk in or out of a store can they!!
This will be another Christmas I am spending away from home but I promise to eat drink & be Merry. I promise to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays & will be tucked up in bed early Christmas Eve waiting for the jolly little fat man in the red suit to land on my roof with all his reindeer....still worried that I dont have a chimney for him to climb down though
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:41 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shepslady
Oh Sega your posts always make me laugh. Can just see you being forced to buy that picture
I too will forgo the religous ceremonies but will force myself to partake in a few more than usual bevvies than normal ( goes against my better judgement of course) but cant let myself be the party pooper now can I. On a more serious note the thing I detest the most about the silly season is those annoying bloody bell ringers that stand outside the stores & shake those darn bells in your face. Last year much to my hubbys shame I told one poor old gent if he continued to shove that bloody bell in my face again I would shove it where the sun dont shine Awful of me I know but honestly a person can only give so much & one cant be expected to give a donation everytime they walk in or out of a store can they!!
This will be another Christmas I am spending away from home but I promise to eat drink & be Merry. I promise to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays & will be tucked up in bed early Christmas Eve waiting for the jolly little fat man in the red suit to land on my roof with all his reindeer....still worried that I dont have a chimney for him to climb down though
Don't mention chimneys!! Even though we live in a 1930s house all the chimneys are blocked in our house. Try explaining that to a 7 year old who thinks Santa can't reach her bedroom. We have to be creative with our answers. Glad to see you back on the forum Cindy, we'll raise a glass to you and yours in the 80s chick house, you sound like a fun drinking partner.

Phyl
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:52 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Don't mention chimneys!! Even though we live in a 1930s house all the chimneys are blocked in our house. Try explaining that to a 7 year old who thinks Santa can't reach her bedroom. We have to be creative with our answers. Glad to see you back on the forum Cindy, we'll raise a glass to you and yours in the 80s chick house, you sound like a fun drinking partner.

Phyl
Phyl I do understand what a problem that can be, last year we had two of our grandaughters living with us & they gave us so much grief over the no chimney thing too...we had to explain to them that in this day & age that Santa moves with the times & he has a list of all the houses without chimneys so he knows to use his special magic to find a way into those houses so he can leave the presents etc. Of course we had to leave out the milk & cookies for him & the carrots for the reindeer. I myself am not too sure if reindeer eat carrots but if thats what they think they eat then its fine with me.
Speaking of raising a glass well my son & I have raised more than one or two tonight ourselves. Kind of an early start to the weekend so will have one or five for you too.......

Cindy
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Chimneys present no problems to large lardy men in red suits. They simply sit in their chip pans for a short while until they become fluid enough to be pourable. The then use a combination of porosity and osmosis to ensure that they and their precious cargo of "pressies" can permeate the recipient dwelling to the satisfaction of all parties.

I must say that I am a trifle concerned about the practice of mixing artificial glitter with reindeer food in the mistaken belief that glitter has magical properties rather than just being simple reflective hydrocarbon sheet materials. Many reindeer (magical or otherwise) may be requiring the services of a competent veterinarian if these "glitter in the fodder" rituals continue.

Merry Glittermas

Ali
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:38 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Nooooooo you got it all wrong, Santa has special magic, he sprinkles his magic santa dust on your roof and a huge fire place magically appears in your living room for him to come down. (you know like in the Santa clause movie )
Mince pies and sherry are obligatory (or red wine will do) and a nice fat carrot too for his reindeer, all left on a silver tray all dressed up with tinsel and glitter by the log burner

I'm off to our villages Xmas service this year, the church is wooden and so miniature but is absolutely pristine and even has stain glass windows...thats the stuff I really like about Xmas I can't stand consumerism I left the UK because of stuff like that
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:20 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xpat19
Oh Santa. Stop complaining and go and give those poor hard working under paid gnomes a hand.
Geez - a lot of people would give their right hand to only have to work one night a year, and not be on call out every night.

Signed - The Tooth Fairy.
Yes but i only get to empty my sack once a year!!................................ohhherr missus
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:22 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Hi folks

Happy holiday everyone

Happy Holidays

Regards
Will Young it is then........................
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
Same here....

im putting on weight very quickly - i was a fit road cyclist before i left - weighting 74kg, since the opportunities for cycling here are much fewer than the uk i am now up to 79kg and still growing..... :-(

the only person i know IRL who is also a brit over here has also put on loads of weight since he's been here - i though this was supposed to be the land of lifestyle and sport?!?!?!

well go and involve yourself in some of that lifestyle then...if kiwis just sat at home doin nothing then wed be the same..you actually have to get involved...chch theres a crap load of things to do...no excuse my friedn i lived there for 20 somethings years...dont be afraid to use the ocean/mountains rivers/lakes/parks/hills within an hours drive bro
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone for PC stupidity??

Yes, the word Christmas has been banned in several place so as to not offend other religious groups, whose own countries or origin or ancestry of course allow the same reciprocal arrangement.

I also understand that several banks that use a Piggy Bank as visual stimuli to encourage savings have withdrawn Piggy Bank advertisements as they could offend religious groups that hold Pigs in awe or alternatively are repulsed by the swine.

I also understand that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is now to be renamed Snow White and the Gnomes or Snow White and the Guardians of the Forest, as the original title upsets vertically challenged people.

Stupid PoMS
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:11 am
Nice Tats

Default Re: Anyone for PC stupidity??

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Yes, the word Christmas has been banned in several place so as to not offend other religious groups, whose own countries or origin or ancestry of course allow the same reciprocal arrangement.

I also understand that several banks that use a Piggy Bank as visual stimuli to encourage savings have withdrawn Piggy Bank advertisements as they could offend religious groups that hold Pigs in awe or alternatively are repulsed by the swine.

I also understand that Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is now to be renamed Snow White and the Gnomes or Snow White and the Guardians of the Forest, as the original title upsets vertically challenged people.

Stupid PoMS
Absolutely right that we should not offend the dwarfs..................speaking as a dwarf that is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.