Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone here dreading Christmas?

Anyone here dreading Christmas?

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:42 pm
turkeytickler

Default Anyone here dreading Christmas?

Cold and wet outside, champagne and full english breakfast, a few pressies under the tree, walk to the pub for a couple of pints, back for lunch, pig out, the one day of the year i eat sprouts, wine with lunch, port with pud, pig out in front of the queens speech (for tradition's sake i might add ) with a nice log fire burning as it starts to get dark outside...... vicar of dibley, only fools and horses, no doubt indiana jones at some point.....
ok the rest of the day is a bit of a bloated blurr but i love christmas day.....

this year i think its going to be a ham salad for lunch, a drive in the country and dog meat sausages on the bbq for dinner....

ho hum.....

anyone else dreading christmas?

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone here dreading Christmas?

Yes, this will be our 5th Xmas here and it's already feeling like a non event !

The 1st year was good, knowing that it was bound to have a different feel and with no family visiting, we booked at a really nice restaurant for Xmas lunch and took a picnic to the beach in the evening.
The 2nd year, we missed out the restaurant lunch as we were on $$$ not pounds but still went to the beach, it kept raining !

3rd year was our 1st Xmas in our new house and the niegbours asked us round for drinks in the morning so that was nice.
Last year plans to spend it with buddies fell through so it was just us at home and not great weather.
This year... well, I haven't even thought about it yet, but I really think we should arrrange a trip back to the UK next Xmas, spend it with family and get some of the " Spirit " back !
I suppose I've come to realise that it's not Where you spend Xmas that counts, it's Who you spend it with once the novelties worn off.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:59 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes me, there is no atmosphere here is there or excited anticipation. I have to keep reminding myself it is only weeks away now.
I won't be spending $60 on a turkey this year either
Last year was that cold that there was no way we could have had a BBQ either so fingers crossed it is at least warm enough to do that this year.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

I think the trick is to arrange to do something completely different, and not try to re create a UK Xmas.
I'd like to go away this year but hubby says he just wants to stay at home and relax, not spend the day in a tent in the rain - Tsk !
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:06 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I think your idea of a trip back to the uk at xmas is a good one and I hope one day to be able to do that too. Would be excellent
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Now for the easy bit: Winning to Lottery to pay for the trip - oh yes, and losing the 3 stone I've put on since I left.... easy !!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:24 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by xpat19
Now for the easy bit: Winning to Lottery to pay for the trip - oh yes, and losing the 3 stone I've put on since I left.... easy !!
Lol snap
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:37 pm
turkeytickler

Same here....

im putting on weight very quickly - i was a fit road cyclist before i left - weighting 74kg, since the opportunities for cycling here are much fewer than the uk i am now up to 79kg and still growing..... :-(

the only person i know IRL who is also a brit over here has also put on loads of weight since he's been here - i though this was supposed to be the land of lifestyle and sport?!?!?!

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:39 pm
turkeytickler

I think the trick is to arrange to do something completely different, and not try to re create a UK Xmas.
I'd like to go away this year but hubby says he just wants to stay at home and relax, not spend the day in a tent in the rain - Tsk !
i dont think there is any alternative to your suggestion..... it aint gonna be christmas though....

Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

i though this was supposed to be the land of lifestyle and sport?!?!?![/QUOTE]

The problem is, you have to drive to get to the lifestyle and sport !

In good old Brissol I cycled to work, walked to the supermarket etc. but here everything is so spread out I have to drive every where, and that's made me lazy. Gyms are ten a penny ( Cent ) but apparently they're only effective if you go along more than twice a year - DOH
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

I don't dread xmas its just a non event here.

Everybody is so hyped up about their summer holiday and making an early start to wherever on boxing day that they just want to get xmas out of the way. There is no real build up - the shops dont really put any effort in with decorations, the towns and villages likewise (tho some do try), the tv companies treat it as just another day, and so on and so on. The whole anticipation thing gets lost.

We have tried tho - 1st year a BBQ on the beach, 2nd year a traditional xmas dinner (but at 26 degrees who wants to eat), the 3rd year had visitors out from the UK, the 4th year had forgotten how bad the trad was and tried it again ($70 for a turkey>>>) and this year? Who knows but we will try.

Could go a freezing cold morning, light the fire at 7.30am, good breakfast (must include ham and eggs), a sherry to perk us up, open the pressies, get stuck into the cooking and the wine and its still only 10am. Ahhhhh memories.

And a happy xmas and new year to you all
Ho Ho Ho.....
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Ba Humbug !!

Mmmmmm Huumbuuuuugs !
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:11 am
turkeytickler

i though this was supposed to be the land of lifestyle and sport?!?!?!
The problem is, you have to drive to get to the lifestyle and sport !

In good old Brissol I cycled to work, walked to the supermarket etc. but here everything is so spread out I have to drive every where, and that's made me lazy. Gyms are ten a penny ( Cent ) but apparently they're only effective if you go along more than twice a year - DOH[/QUOTE]

yup - i hate the car dependancy here

Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:13 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Herm
I don't dread xmas its just a non event here.

Everybody is so hyped up about their summer holiday and making an early start to wherever on boxing day that they just want to get xmas out of the way. There is no real build up - the shops dont really put any effort in with decorations, the towns and villages likewise (tho some do try), the tv companies treat it as just another day, and so on and so on. The whole anticipation thing gets lost.

We have tried tho - 1st year a BBQ on the beach, 2nd year a traditional xmas dinner (but at 26 degrees who wants to eat), the 3rd year had visitors out from the UK, the 4th year had forgotten how bad the trad was and tried it again ($70 for a turkey>>>) and this year? Who knows but we will try.

Could go a freezing cold morning, light the fire at 7.30am, good breakfast (must include ham and eggs), a sherry to perk us up, open the pressies, get stuck into the cooking and the wine and its still only 10am. Ahhhhh memories.

And a happy xmas and new year to you all
Ho Ho Ho.....

ok im am dreading feeling homesick on christmas day and missing out on all the atmosphere and build up..... because as you say - it will be a total non event

Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm not dreading Christmas...........

I actually quite like Chrimble in NZ…………much better, in my opinion, than the UK............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.