Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone heard from Jan 'Bookemjano' in NZ yet??

Anyone heard from Jan 'Bookemjano' in NZ yet??

Old Oct 15th 2005, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Dizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the rough
Smile Anyone heard from Jan 'Bookemjano' in NZ yet??

Morning all....

I PM'd Jan the other day, just to see how they are all feeling??!! Not yet had a reply... does anyone know if they've all arrived safe and sound?? Her exit from the UK was soooo nailbiting.... we are still aiming for NZ, just taken a massive step backwards with new work contracts etc so aiming for June-July 2006! ITA is slowly getting there, still awaiting the usual... police checks and medicals to come back. Anyway, thank goodness for this forum... keeps me in touch with it all!

Cheers

Suki

PS Has anyone ever listed a house to sell on www.houseladder.co.uk, or any other online property company??
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:33 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone heard from Jan 'Bookemjano' in NZ yet??

Originally Posted by Dizibella
Morning all....

I PM'd Jan the other day, just to see how they are all feeling??!! Not yet had a reply... does anyone know if they've all arrived safe and sound?? Her exit from the UK was soooo nailbiting.... we are still aiming for NZ, just taken a massive step backwards with new work contracts etc so aiming for June-July 2006! ITA is slowly getting there, still awaiting the usual... police checks and medicals to come back. Anyway, thank goodness for this forum... keeps me in touch with it all!

Cheers

Suki

PS Has anyone ever listed a house to sell on www.houseladder.co.uk, or any other online property company??

Oooh, how uncanny is this? Only got online at home today, having been snatching five mins here and there over the past couple of weeks in libraries, with waiting lists of people scowling at me. Sorry for not replying Suki, it's been pretty manic, whilst you were posting this I was typing this very long post in Word as we're on dial up and it takes ages! So here we go - an update:

You might want to put the kettle on, I’ve over two weeks of posting to catch up on. Been a very busy few weeks, almost all positive, and we couldn’t be happier. We got here on the 3rd, by the 14th we had the following action list all done:

Rental property sorted and moved into

Kids in school

Bank account running

House all furnished, and utilities on

Car bought

Steve got a job

So, from the top – we’d been talking with an agent re a rental for a few weeks before we came over, and a lovely forum member had kindly got us more photos of it and recommended it. Long story that I won’t bore you with (they wanted all the money up front from the 1st, even though we wanted to start on 14th, and didn’t send us contracts even though we asked). So suffice to say the end result before leaving the UK was that if it was still available when we landed we’d view it, needless to say it wasn’t, and we had a momentary panic when we visited all the agents and there wasn’t one 3 bed property available in Rangiora. Then Steve picked up a free newspaper (for the booze coupons as it happened!) and there was an ad for a fantastic house there. Viewed that afternoon, signed the contracts the next day, moved in on Friday. It’s so pretty, and everything we need. We were so lucky, the landlords are a lovely couple and have been really helpful as well. When we moved in there was a beautiful bunch of flowers waiting for us. We’d booked and paid for a villa for the first two weeks so had time to buy furniture, arrange utilities etc. It worked out really well for us.

We’d already got the kids in the school we wanted, it was just a case of them having a look round and saying they were happy and they start on Monday. The school themselves were fantastic, all that’s left to do is pay the fees! Basic uniform (one of everything) has cost us $500 today, including a kilt that’s dry clean only – great!

Bank account was so easy. After loads of research before we got here we’ve gone with the National Bank of New Zealand, and got a Thoroughbred Select account, this means we pay no standard charges if we keep our balance over $5K, and the capital is going to earn us about $140 a month in interest until we use it as a house deposit. Went in on Thursday, got the cards on Monday and cheque book on Tuesday. Just to make sure we went round all the banks before deciding, but the personal banker in the National was the best we’d talked to, and has been fantastic since we opened the account.

We went to Smiths City for the bulk of our stuff – mostly all mid range so if you’re looking for furniture to last your lifetime this might not be the place for you though they do have some higher range stuff. The stuff is definitely better quality than we could have afforded in the UK, so we’re happy. White ware and electronics are pretty good, we got top range TV and the like for great prices. Haggle – we didn’t pay the full price on anything. Stefan in the Northwood Smiths City was brilliant, he works in the furniture department. We changed our minds several times over the week and he just sorted it all out for us. Even though our money hadn’t come through from the UK (****** solicitors!) they still ordered everything for us and arranged delivery. We only got one phone call asking us when we’d be paying, and no hassle whatsoever. Delivery within a week, and the promise of sofas on loan if ours wasn’t ready (which it wasn’t, and the loan one is pretty ugly, but it’s only for a couple of weeks). Our coffee table was chipped when it was being loaded, Stefan rang and apologised and said we’d have a replacement asap but could use this one for now. If anyone wants a breakdown of what we paid for what let me know and I’ll put it in a post. Bedding and towels are ridiculously expensive no matter where you shop, though Briscoes have some nice stuff, but even at sale prices it’s more than the UK. About 60% of what we bought at The Warehouse (kitchen stuff, tools, etc) was cheaper at the checkout than on the shelves, it was addictive!

Sorting out the electric was funny, it took about 30 mins on the phone, and they asked all sorts of questions, including whether or not we had a dog! Apparently the rate may be higher because dogs could chew through wires. They’re not going to do it twice though are they! On the whole it was all straightforward, but you may have to fax copies of your passports to some of them, particularly Telecom, so take copies at work before you leave, to save you having to do it here. Scanned copies sent by e-mail are not accepted.

We got a pretty good car – a 98 Bluebird with low mileage and loads of techno bits to keep the man happy. We’d had a newer car at home but we’re pretty happy with what we’ve paid for here. They really push you to take finance, Steve actually walked away from a couple of showrooms because of this, and from another because the salesman kept going on about Asians wasting his time and what a disgrace they were. The good thing about buying a car here is that it seems to be really regulated – the car gets independently checked by an official after you’ve bought it and the showroom have to put anything right before the deal is complete. Also, the showroom give you the spec that’s in the car window in the showroom, so you have the comeback later on if something they’ve said is proved wrong. Not sure just how much of this is enforced, and I hope to never have to find out, but from our experience it seems pretty well run.

Steve’s job is less money than we wanted, he’s going to be one of those awful real estate people, but it means he’s away from the druggies and mental health cases he’s dealt with for years (and that was just the staff!), so I’m happy he’s took it. He was a social housing officer in the UK and I was always worried sick about him doing it. He had some pretty hairy moments over the years. Real estate works on commission, but he’s been able to get salaried, so it can be done. He starts that at the end of November, after he’s got his licence.

The only negative thing I have to say about being here is the very obvious racism against Maoris. It’s horrible. We’ve only heard a few people say anything, and I won’t honour their ignorance by repeating what they’ve said, but it leaves a nasty taste. But on the other hand we’ve found the vast majority of NZ people we’ve met really friendly, helpful and pleasant.

So all in all, we’re very happy. The real work begins in a few weeks when Steve goes to work and we have to live on his salary and I’m doing a Macauley. I’ll give it four weeks before I’m looking for work because we’re fed up of beans on toast and I’m going nutty staring at the four walls of my very pretty, though not mine, house.

Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jan - great to hear from you - it's great isn't it, actually being able to start making all the things you've been thinking about happen. We've found very similar - setting things up is really easy - we went with ASB and got everything set up on the same day (within an hour) - went to National first but didn't get much help - they wanted utility bills for an NZ property before they'd open an account - not much good to us in a holiday let.
We're busy getting to know chch and trying to decide where we want to live - gonna do the drives out to Rangiora etc and consider the outliers to - PM me if you want / got time to meet up.
Vicki
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:50 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Jan - great to hear from you - it's great isn't it, actually being able to start making all the things you've been thinking about happen. We've found very similar - setting things up is really easy - we went with ASB and got everything set up on the same day (within an hour) - went to National first but didn't get much help - they wanted utility bills for an NZ property before they'd open an account - not much good to us in a holiday let.
We're busy getting to know chch and trying to decide where we want to live - gonna do the drives out to Rangiora etc and consider the outliers to - PM me if you want / got time to meet up.
Vicki
Gone all Twilight Zone now - whilst you were posting I've e-mailed you! Bloody dial up, everything takes forever! Got to get off now, daughter is chomping to ring her friend in the UK, will be back on tomorrow. Goodnight all.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 7:55 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Gone all Twilight Zone now - whilst you were posting I've e-mailed you! Bloody dial up, everything takes forever! Got to get off now, daughter is chomping to ring her friend in the UK, will be back on tomorrow. Goodnight all.
Nice to hear from you Jan - posting best wishes.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Nice to hear from you Jan - posting best wishes.
Hi Jan and family, so glad to hear you've all made it Ok and doing terrifically well by the looks of things.

Look forward to hearing all about your voyage of discovery and adventure.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Dizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the rough

Jan - so pleased you and your family are all OK, sounds like you've had a very busy time! Stick some piccies of your house and surrounds in a post if you've got a camera.... as for dial-up, how scary.... is there broadband in the pipeline? Really sorry to hear about the racism! I know it's pretty bad in Oz but I thought things were relatively cool in NZ!! Hmmmm, is it the same in the North Island I wonder?

Take care and all the best....
Suki
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:30 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to NZ , you landed at the right time of year anyways .. summer should be here soon
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:00 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jan, great post love and great to hear from you again...

So thrilled for you all and can't believe how much you've achieved in such a short space of time but that's emigrating for you innit!!!

Hope things continue to go really well for you and that you all settle into your new lives...
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:19 am
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jan

Just caught up with what your up to! Glad all is working well for you all you sound really happy.

Good luck for your future and we all wish you well.

Debbie
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:52 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Hi Jan!

Doesn't time fly? Nice post and gives a bit more insight into NZ

Take care and we look forward to hearing from you soon

Dave and Lyns
xx
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hi Jan,

Great to hear that things are going well for an ex-Tamesider!!!

We will be joining you in NZ in January (assuming medicals are ok) as Dave has got a job in Tauranga.

Keep the advice and info coming for all of us not fortunate enough to be over there yet. Sounds like you're doing great - fantastic news!!!

Keep us posted.

Love Kathryn
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:45 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you're all doing really really well ..... looking forward to seeing some piccies and hearing more about your adventures - Carmen.