Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone great with living on a budget?

Anyone great with living on a budget?

Old May 7th 2007, 11:14 am
Just Joined

johnnos will become famous soon enoughjohnnos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone great with living on a budget?

Originally Posted by manda69
Hi. Anyone out there who has some ideas for how we can make ends meet living in NZ? We have moved recently from the UK and we are struggling big time to afford basic items like food and electricity!! We have two preschoolers and we both work full-time, we rent, we both need cars for work. We have the ute on finance. We earn above the top income bracket set by the government for financial help with childcare costs and working tax credits. Even buying food shopping each week is expensive. Does anyone else agree that NZ is expensive to live? Would it be cheaper in another area of NZ? We are considering leaving cos we are flat broke and have no surplus to save? Would be grateful of some advice.
Hi --- so glad there are lots of others out there trying to get finances sorted with the salary reduction adjustments etc !!!

we have been here 5 weeks and are in the same boat !!
bought house in crown hill north shore, and while we did lots of research we now know that the mortgage is killing us after the first pay check

we have 4 kids and while i get 100k, wife none--- we need to move already !!

we are now trying to move to cheaper place but in same school zone --or worst case move school for our 2 eldest -- ealry days for them though so prob not bad.

tips;
shop at pak n save ( foodtown most expensive)
get fruit/veg local-- not from s/markets
buy stuff on trade me (we shipped very little over)
use car as little as possible (hmm --i know its auckland!)
get a GE card for credit buys on appliances etc

dave and cat
Old May 7th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

meercat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by johnnos
Hi --- so glad there are lots of others out there trying to get finances sorted with the salary reduction adjustments etc !!!

we have been here 5 weeks and are in the same boat !!
bought house in crown hill north shore, and while we did lots of research we now know that the mortgage is killing us after the first pay check

we have 4 kids and while i get 100k, wife none--- we need to move already !!

we are now trying to move to cheaper place but in same school zone --or worst case move school for our 2 eldest -- ealry days for them though so prob not bad.

tips;
shop at pak n save ( foodtown most expensive)
get fruit/veg local-- not from s/markets
buy stuff on trade me (we shipped very little over)
use car as little as possible (hmm --i know its auckland!)
get a GE card for credit buys on appliances etc

dave and cat
These posts are really interesting. Trying to budget for a major move to NZ is quite a daunting thing. We have 3 boys under 16 and don't think we will qualify for any tax breaks - but don't see how $120,000 pa is going to get us far in Auckland with a mortgage – not everyone in the UK is rich.

I know we all have to make sacrifices but think employers and the government should be giving more assistance to migrants. Most are leaving comfortable lives in the UK to help set NZ up. If they cannot assist us in getting settled its counter productive – we either vote with out feet and try and find another job (if we can) – or we leave.

I don't mind giving up some luxuries, I don't mind living with 1 car – I don’t mind taking a pay cut – provided there is some reward in the long term. We all work hard, but at the end of the day our families must come first.

I really feel for these people, and I know how much work has gone into making the move. I hope things work out. Good luck.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by meercat
These posts are really interesting. Trying to budget for a major move to NZ is quite a daunting thing. We have 3 boys under 16 and don't think we will qualify for any tax breaks - but don't see how $120,000 pa is going to get us far in Auckland with a mortgage – not everyone in the UK is rich.

I know we all have to make sacrifices but think employers and the government should be giving more assistance to migrants. Most are leaving comfortable lives in the UK to help set NZ up. If they cannot assist us in getting settled its counter productive – we either vote with out feet and try and find another job (if we can) – or we leave.

I don't mind giving up some luxuries, I don't mind living with 1 car – I don’t mind taking a pay cut – provided there is some reward in the long term. We all work hard, but at the end of the day our families must come first.

I really feel for these people, and I know how much work has gone into making the move. I hope things work out. Good luck.
Hi Meercat,
I do understand what you are saying. I too am sitting in my nice house in the UK (with heating), not having to work has OH has a good enough income to support us all, whilst I stay at home with the sprogs, draggin 'em up 'til they get themselves to school. However, we are not necessarily moving to NZ to replicate our lives here over there. The biggest thing for us personally is that we take our equity and can buy a (albeit modest) house outright, and OH no longer has to work all the hours he does to maintain our current standard of living. We think that we can escape the rat race by moving to NZ. We shan't be looking for a big house in the best area (not say that you are though), as this will mean taking on a mortgage. We are looking for a reduced level of material living, a quieter, slower way of living, and a better quality of life for our children, and hoping that we have done our sums to be able to achieve this.

My heart does go out to those that have managed to get to NZ to live their dream and the reality is proving to be tougher financially then they had hoped.

One thing to remember though, when talking of the NZ gov. providing more assistance for immigrants, is that a larger percentage of Kiwi's have it altogether tougher than a lot of us UK expats with our wods of equity and good, well paid jobs to go to (in comparison).

If nothing else, for us still in the UK, we need to take heed of what we are reading here, and make sure that we do our research. Thank you for the postings on this thread. They really do prove v. informative, and good luck to you all that are living the dream.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Hi Meercat,
I do understand what you are saying. I too am sitting in my nice house in the UK (with heating), not having to work has OH has a good enough income to support us all, whilst I stay at home with the sprogs, draggin 'em up 'til they get themselves to school. However, we are not necessarily moving to NZ to replicate our lives here over there. The biggest thing for us personally is that we take our equity and can buy a (albeit modest) house outright, and OH no longer has to work all the hours he does to maintain our current standard of living. We think that we can escape the rat race by moving to NZ. We shan't be looking for a big house in the best area (not say that you are though), as this will mean taking on a mortgage. We are looking for a reduced level of material living, a quieter, slower way of living, and a better quality of life for our children, and hoping that we have done our sums to be able to achieve this.

My heart does go out to those that have managed to get to NZ to live their dream and the reality is proving to be tougher financially then they had hoped.

One thing to remember though, when talking of the NZ gov. providing more assistance for immigrants, is that a larger percentage of Kiwi's have it altogether tougher than a lot of us UK expats with our wods of equity and good, well paid jobs to go to (in comparison).

If nothing else, for us still in the UK, we need to take heed of what we are reading here, and make sure that we do our research. Thank you for the postings on this thread. They really do prove v. informative, and good luck to you all that are living the dream.
I agree, we are all looking for the dream - I guess looking at some of the postings recently has put a negative on things - as I say, we all have to make cut backs and I really do feel for the Kiwi.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

I agree, we are all looking for the dream - I guess looking at some of the postings recently has put a negative on things - as I say, we all have to make cut backs and I really do feel for the Kiwi.
Again (sound like a stuck record!LOL) I agree with you. It has got a bit down, but don't be put off. For warned is for armed There is just oodles of info here for us lot trying to get out.

"Negative" postings may actually be exactly what we "happy clappies" need to make sure we remain that way.

What stage are you guys at? We were all set to get out by the end of this year, but are now possibly putting it off for another year, purely to make sure we have a bit more cash behind us. It's really hard cause we are just desperate to get out to NZ, but realise we only really have one chance to make a go of it, and want to make sure we have the best possible chance. Having read loads on this (fab.) site, having as much money as poss behind us will certainly make it easier and hopefully help ensure our emigration is a success. In the meantime though, I just need to learn some patiences (ahhh! )
Old May 7th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Again (sound like a stuck record!LOL) I agree with you. It has got a bit down, but don't be put off. For warned is for armed There is just oodles of info here for us lot trying to get out.

"Negative" postings may actually be exactly what we "happy clappies" need to make sure we remain that way.

What stage are you guys at? We were all set to get out by the end of this year, but are now possibly putting it off for another year, purely to make sure we have a bit more cash behind us. It's really hard cause we are just desperate to get out to NZ, but realise we only really have one chance to make a go of it, and want to make sure we have the best possible chance. Having read loads on this (fab.) site, having as much money as poss behind us will certainly make it easier and hopefully help ensure our emigration is a success. In the meantime though, I just need to learn some patiences (ahhh! )
I saw a posting somewhere on the site which was excellent (albeit from 2005) - advising on gas, electric, telephones, banks etc. I found that very useful. Perhaps an updated version would help those of us contemplating the big move.
Old May 7th 2007, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

I saw a posting somewhere on the site which was excellent (albeit from 2005) - advising on gas, electric, telephones, banks etc. I found that very useful. Perhaps an updated version would help those of us contemplating the big move.
Have you got the link to it?
Old May 7th 2007, 2:17 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Sorry to go all Buddhist on y'all but desire for things is gonna cause you pain. Simplify and de-clutter. Work on the necessary things like healthy food, a warm dry house and bringing up well-adjusted children. A big f-off car parked in the driveway of a house whose mortgage is killing you ain't gonna make you happy -- in New Zealand or anywhere else.
Old May 7th 2007, 7:20 pm
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by happynz
Sorry to go all Buddhist on y'all but desire for things is gonna cause you pain. Simplify and de-clutter. Work on the necessary things like healthy food, a warm dry house and bringing up well-adjusted children. A big f-off car parked in the driveway of a house whose mortgage is killing you ain't gonna make you happy -- in New Zealand or anywhere else.

Kind of agree, but also, do you NEED to work in Auckland? its almost impossible to get a house in a reasonable house range & i think a lot of peole come unstuck because they think NZ is Auckland.

I am not anti AKL, the sky tower is ace!!!
Old May 7th 2007, 8:05 pm
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

Hi again Manda

If you've only been here 4 months the heating thing will surely become an issue - what plans have you got to warm the place up during winter? Since you're renting (and granted I dunno what your landlords like) it might be worth asking him to install a heat pump.
We had no heating, and got through last winter using oil heaters, which weren't great , and cost a fair bit. I had a word with the landlord, and he has now installed a heat pump, that is apparantly only going to cost about $1 to heat for 8 hrs - not bad, and I won't have it on anywhere near that much per day. It's worth asking.
We arrived here thinking things would be cheaper - and we were pleasantly surprised with all the furniture and white goods we bought (we bought everything from scratch as we sold all our furniture in the UK)
We got a gtreat deal from Bond & Bond for a fridge freeezer, washing machine, 3 oil heaters, microwave, DVD, TV, TV stand, dryer - all for just over £650. (and they were all top makes too - though we had to play several stores off against each other to nail them down)) We went to Furniture City and bought everything there and it was peanuts compared to what we would have paid in UK. BUT we were still comparing and thinking in £'s!!!
We always planned to rent first - I saw those interest rates, and fully realised the impact that first mortgage payment would have on my hubbys take home pay.
I'm actually wondering if it's better long term to rent, and save the extra money you'd spend on a mortgage, in a long term investment scheme. That way you pay no interest, and come out with a cash sum at the end to buy your little retirement house!!!
I know if we were to buy, we could NO way afford to live in as nice a place as we do now (2 acre life-style block, fully renovated 1920's villa with rimu floors and all the features!!) Especially on one wage.
Anyways, I think Soulflour has great advice, and I agree that you should be able to whittle the food bill down - we pay about $130 pw family of 4. And we eat really well.
See if you can get a better deal on electric by phoning the supplier and checking you're on the most advantageous tarriff.
And remember when phoning the UK to dial 0161 first - makes calls so much cheaper.
Good luck - you could always go to the local Citizen's Advice Bureau, who have budget advisors, and excellent info on all your rights.
Don't give up yet - it is too fantastic a lifestyle, as you know undoubtedly!!
Old May 7th 2007, 11:44 pm

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

I know we all have to make sacrifices but think employers and the government should be giving more assistance to migrants. Most are leaving comfortable lives in the UK to help set NZ up.
As an employer, what sort of assistance do you think should be given?
Old May 8th 2007, 9:05 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
As an employer, what sort of assistance do you think should be given?
I was wondering that too - last thing we need is another reason for Kiwis resenting "cashed up Poms". When you talk to the average Kiwi of european descent it seems that they often resent what they see as unfair treatment from the state for minorities, I'd hate us Brits to be viewed in the same way. Coming to NZ is a lifestyle choice and there's no way that people should be paid to do it, we ain't living in the 50s and 60s anymore!
Old May 8th 2007, 10:36 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

For those of us with high energy bills I found this yesterday and thought it might be relevant

http://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/Your...vings/At+home/

Do you pay bills by direct debit? Some companies give you a discount of up to 10% for paying by this method and don't forget your fly buys!!

I would have another look for your phone/broadband supplier too Manda.

We get phone through Telecom and pay $45 a month, which includes calls to the Uk for $5 for 2 hours or you can buy the Yabba cards. Broadband is Slingshot, again for $45. Our mobiles are on pay as you go cos to be honest they hardly get used. I use my home phone for local calls as they are free

Does your hospital offer you any discounts for childcare or a creche?
Old May 8th 2007, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Have you got the link to it?
Sorry I don't.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:33 pm
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I would have another look for your phone/broadband supplier too Manda.

We get phone through Telecom and pay $45 a month, which includes calls to the Uk for $5 for 2 hours or you can buy the Yabba cards. Broadband is Slingshot, again for $45. Our mobiles are on pay as you go cos to be honest they hardly get used. I use my home phone for local calls as they are free

we pay $80 a month with ihug for phone & BB, un limited calls to UK ( up t0 2 hours).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.