Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone got 0.5cbm space in a container UK to NZ?

Anyone got 0.5cbm space in a container UK to NZ?

Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Jellybean73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone got 0.5cbm space in a container UK to NZ?

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and searching for a way to avoid the apparently extortionate groupage costs for items to New Zealand.

I have two small pieces of wooden furniture - about 0.24 cubic metres each and would be happy to chip in. From what I can work out, it costs about 6000 pounds to send a 20ft container to New Zealand and they are 33 cubic metres. The shipping companies all want to charge about 500 pounds. Eeek! That's crazy!

I'm very flexible with timings - I've waited many years already so no hurry. If you know of anyone or are moving yourself in the next few months, please get in touch.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29th 2013, 9:23 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got 0.5cbm space in a container UK to NZ?

think you might have the costings of the container wrong, we paid less than 6K for a 40 footer in 2012 and can't see it going up that much.

hope you get it sorted
Old Aug 29th 2013, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks - but i suppose it doesn't really matter since it will only cost less for a 20footer and in that case, people are being even more ripped off when they are having to go in on a groupage deal. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who might be able to help with the furniture. Thanks.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Have you got quotes from a few different shippers? Some will allow you to self pack and drop at their depot which saves a bit. 0.5 cubic m isn't much at all, have you tried to send it by a courier?
Old Sep 1st 2013, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jellybean73
Thanks - but i suppose it doesn't really matter since it will only cost less for a 20footer and in that case, people are being even more ripped off when they are having to go in on a groupage deal. Looking forward to hearing from anyone who might be able to help with the furniture. Thanks.
Have you got quotes from a few different shippers? Some will allow you to self pack and drop at their depot which saves a bit. 0.5 cubic m isn't much at all, have you tried to send it by a courier?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi Chippy. yes, I got quotes from about 7 suppliers by now. They are all around the same amount. No - I have not tried to send it by courier as they are heavy, being solid wooden furniture. I may look into that, but I still hope to find someone with a little space in a container that I can chip in with.