Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is anyone going to positive these days?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:44 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone going to positive these days?

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
What a great post, i was getting so fed up of the negatives and it was beginning to make me question moving my family half way around the world but then along came this post and put everything back in perspective for me.
New Zealand is terrible!!!!

Oh no! Now you'll have to cancel your plans again!!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:52 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here I'm very boring actually as all I ever do is rabbit on about how lovely everything is. But that's just me, and I have always tried to say that it's your own experience, only you can decide. I got PR without ever being here, I do think you have to live in a place to decide whether it's for you or not, but you are the only one that can decide. You can do all the research in the world, but it doesnt mean that it will work,of course it helps though. I reckon you just have to suck it and see.
Tracy, I have blog about our life here, we're in the BOI, sort of - if you'd like a look at it then pm me and I'll send you the link. But be warned, its happy ( mostly!)
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:05 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
New Zealand is terrible!!!!

Oh no! Now you'll have to cancel your plans again!!!
You sick puppy!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I find it quite interesting that people view NZ as a retirement destination, how is that so? We hardly ever see any really elderly or infirm folks, clearly there must be plenty, but where do they all go?

Having had quite a few older rellies visit us here, they've all said it's a great place to visit but they simply couldn't live here, mostly due to the reliance on having a car, lack of transport, the hilly terrain and/or remoteness.
They all live in Howick . Really, there do seem to be a lot of older people living here. They all look pretty spritely too, must be the hilly terrain, keeps em fit!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:27 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
To clarify, I am very enthusiastic about life in NZ, but very aware of all the crappy issues living in this country....pretty much like anywhere in the world. Good and bad.

There is NOTHING wrong with genuine negative posts. What irks me is when it all gets personal and people start suggesting that you should not even think of coming here (unless they are privvy to something that makes NZ a no no for you) or they start taking the piss about how awesome Oz,Canada etc,etc are over 'crappy' NZ...trading insults is useless.

Hard facts about all our genuine problems and what to expect are informative and very worthwhile for those coming here..balanced one hopes with the shed loads of great stuff about life here!!!!!
Well said.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Where is that ? Why have people stopped going ?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:52 pm
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout

Where is that ? Why have people stopped going ?
I find it quite worrying that a couple of recent posters have been all up for it in the uk then come out here and we hear nothing? Kato and Ned, Ithink?

Are they having such a great time or what???

Last edited by pascalr; Mar 28th 2008 at 11:56 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:44 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
I find it quite worrying that a couple of recent posters have been all up for it in the uk then come out here and we hear nothing? Kato and Ned, Ithink?

Are they having such a great time or what???
We've heard from them a little. Maybe they're busy? Didn't realise it was a requirement to post on here after you'd moved here. Why is it worrying? Worrying that they might be having a great time?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:10 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
We've heard from them a little. Maybe they're busy? Didn't realise it was a requirement to post on here after you'd moved here. Why is it worrying? Worrying that they might be having a great time?
au contraire, it's not a requirement, indeed, when i was having a great time here i never even thought of BE either!

Just that one of them was a little 'under the weather' when she first arrived. Really hope all's well now, guess it must be
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I find it quite interesting that people view NZ as a retirement destination, how is that so? We hardly ever see any really elderly or infirm folks, clearly there must be plenty, but where do they all go?

Having had quite a few older rellies visit us here, they've all said it's a great place to visit but they simply couldn't live here, mostly due to the reliance on having a car, lack of transport, the hilly terrain and/or remoteness.
I think they're all here in Omokoroa all my neighbours are in their seventies and five of the neighbours are widowed. There is also a lovely 'retirement village' within Omokoroa. But they are all very active people, playing golf, gardening and our neighbours of 77 and 79 own a motorhome and are often going on meet ups around the country. (I ought to say they all Kiwis)
We don't have a good transport service here but everyone I know owns a car.
I'm off to walk the beach with my dog and pass the time of day with friendly neighbours
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:38 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm went to positive and it was good, NZ however isn't the fourth stage of Nirvana.

If you're put off by the realism ('negativity') of posts on an emigration forum what is your strategy going to be for coping with day-to-day life in New Zealand?

Just go, try it and if you like it stay, if you don't then leave - it's no big deal.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by is vic there...
....visiting nz will tell you almost nothing....it is a beautiful place to visit and holiday....you have to live it....we have spent time in 4 countries over the last 7 years...you have to live it to understand a place and having a holiday or 'visit' just gives the wrong impression
From experience, I agree 100%.
I loved NZ for holidays, but I think I pretty much hate it as a place to live. Certainly Wellington is doing my head in.

There some people who would prefer to live in NZ, and if you dont have kids and have the time and money to adventure, boat,fish, dive, dine out then you might love it. And if you come from an inner city dodgy area in England, then you might not notice the bad bits about NZ so much.

But from my perspective, I reckon I am pretty much worse off on all fronts. Socially and intellectually, this place drives me nuts. It is so isolated in location and attitude. The weather is better here, despite the wind in Wellington.

Oh to be able to go home.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:52 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you just need to live somewhere else in the country? there are some good bits you know and many people seem happy in NZ.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:02 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Browner_
Oh to be able to go home.
Where is home for you?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:04 am
Maz

Browner_, I'm being very sincere when I say how sad that is. As Nerine said, do you think you'd be happier elsewhere in the country, or is it NZ as a whole? Have you travelled much in NZ? I hope you find happiness, wherever it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.