British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is anyone going to positive these days? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-going-positive-these-days-525107/)

Tracy24 Mar 28th 2008 3:57 pm

Is anyone going to positive these days?

Hi

I'm new to this forum and hubby and hoping to move out to NZ in a few years time when he retires.

However, I must say I have read so many negative posts on this forum at the moment that it would be enough to put some people off emigrating to NZ. Personally I find this really sad.

Now I don't want to cause an argument and yes I think it's good to get the good and bad side of these things = afterall it's a huge step to up and move your whole life, especially to the other side of the world. But, come on, there are pros and cons of living anywhere. Jesus I have a list longer than my arm about the pros and cons of living in the UK!

I'm not naive to living abroad, spent 2 years in another country until last year so I'm well aware of the ups and downs of another country, but I would never say to anyone don't do it which is something I have seen on some posts on here and this is what I find sad and I wonder if those people went out there with some fantasy of what life was going to be like?

As grown ups I would like to think most people are sensible enough to firstly visit the country they are considering emigrating to if possible. Secondly I would think they would research everything possible including speaking to others for their opinions both good and bad. Finally and this is my point - everyone should make up their own minds and not let what someone says no matter how good or bad it is sway their decision. I have read on a few threads what some people are saying it is making others question if they are doing the right thing. Afterall what is right for some is not right for others.. everyone is different and thats what makes the world go round. Cricky the world would be one boring place if we all liked the same things:)

I've enjoyed reading the majority of the posts on here so far and have found it interesting how some people love it and some hate it, but afterall everyone's opinion is their own personal opinion and it has allowed me to get a better picture of how people have found living in another country. It's just a shame that there is so much negativity out there at the moment, but in all honesty I wouldn't let it put me off and I hope it doesn't let anyone else put them off as well as you never know if you will like it until you have tried:)

I hope I don't sound condescending to anyone and no I don't know what it is like to live in NZ but lets hope I get the chance to give it a go.

Tracy

this charming man Mar 28th 2008 4:11 pm

Re: Is anyone going to positive these days?

Bravo,anybody that considers their decision to emigrate based partly on an opinion from a "faceless keyboard warrior" deserves nothing more than ridicule nest-ce pas?

garryhg Mar 28th 2008 6:38 pm

negative post can be just as informative as postive ones,sometimes posters on here just have to let off some steam and air their grievances.

What tends to happen on this forum is when anything negative is said ,people just give the poster grief for being negative.IMHO there is a growing trend on here with SOME expats who feel they have to defend NZ come what may.

This is the country they have decided to move to ,and how dare anyone say anything negative about it.

I for one welcome any comments on here,GOOD OR BAD,
because the comments are real to that poster,and its how they feel.I came over here with rose coloured glasses(stupidly)and wished i had read some of the negatives before I came.Wouldn't have stopped me coming but would have been aware of some of the problems going on .

now sit back and watch me get ripped to pieces;)..jacky

is vic there... Mar 28th 2008 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tracy24 (Post 6124245)
Hi

I'm new to this forum and hubby and hoping to move out to NZ in a few years time when he retires.

However, I must say I have read so many negative posts on this forum at the moment that it would be enough to put some people off emigrating to NZ. Personally I find this really sad.

Now I don't want to cause an argument and yes I think it's good to get the good and bad side of these things = afterall it's a huge step to up and move your whole life, especially to the other side of the world. But, come on, there are pros and cons of living anywhere. Jesus I have a list longer than my arm about the pros and cons of living in the UK!

I'm not naive to living abroad, spent 2 years in another country until last year so I'm well aware of the ups and downs of another country, but I would never say to anyone don't do it which is something I have seen on some posts on here and this is what I find sad and I wonder if those people went out there with some fantasy of what life was going to be like?

As grown ups I would like to think most people are sensible enough to firstly visit the country they are considering emigrating to if possible. Secondly I would think they would research everything possible including speaking to others for their opinions both good and bad. Finally and this is my point - everyone should make up their own minds and not let what someone says no matter how good or bad it is sway their decision. I have read on a few threads what some people are saying it is making others question if they are doing the right thing. Afterall what is right for some is not right for others.. everyone is different and thats what makes the world go round. Cricky the world would be one boring place if we all liked the same things:)

I've enjoyed reading the majority of the posts on here so far and have found it interesting how some people love it and some hate it, but afterall everyone's opinion is their own personal opinion and it has allowed me to get a better picture of how people have found living in another country. It's just a shame that there is so much negativity out there at the moment, but in all honesty I wouldn't let it put me off and I hope it doesn't let anyone else put them off as well as you never know if you will like it until you have tried:)

I hope I don't sound condescending to anyone and no I don't know what it is like to live in NZ but lets hope I get the chance to give it a go.

Tracy

....visiting nz will tell you almost nothing....it is a beautiful place to visit and holiday....you have to live it....we have spent time in 4 countries over the last 7 years...you have to live it to understand a place and having a holiday or 'visit' just gives the wrong impression....most people do research things and do not rely on much of the stuff on this site.....you are not reinventing the wheel here

wimpy Mar 28th 2008 7:09 pm

You want positive well try this for starters, our house goes on the market next week. When sold we are on our way to NZ. No job, no skills, but lots and lots of self belief and a determination to see this through.

Will that do:eek:

Genesis Mar 28th 2008 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tracy24 (Post 6124245)
Hi

Tracy

Yes, its utterly ridiculous when someone recently said..DON'T do it.

I remember the post well, the 5 years after post.

It is to be blunt a stupid thing to say, and very, very unfair personal opinion. I spent 10 difficult years in the police, never felt at home in 45 years in the UK, but I would never, ever tell a complete stranger DON'T do either because its a daft thing to say.

Living in the UK and being a copper can be just fantastic..it depends on the individual doing what ever it is they are doing.

Look at us. We live in a part of NZ that few would even visit let alone live, yet we are incredibly content. Never been more so.

Okay in the perfect world I would have the beach on my doorstep but life is a compromise. We have so much here in every dept. of our lives. NZ has fulfilled all our expectations and many, many more.

After 3 years we are aware of all the issues NZ has...rafts of them, but unlike where I came from in the UK they in no way impact on our lives daily weekly or even annualy!! By coming to NZ I have managed to get everything out of my life that irked me and exchanged it for a bunch of things I really wanted. How cool is that? Its not been an easy ride, never thought it would be.

Just ignore the overtly negative comments, they can only be coming from a bitter frame of mind and thus best ignored.

Living an ordinairy life in an extraordinairy place!!!

NZ rocks..still excited after 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jueinnz Mar 28th 2008 7:48 pm

I don't think we are being negative at the moment....now if you havd been around about 12 months ago....then it was getting real negative, to the extent if anyone said anything positive they got 'shot' down, it comes and goes in waves....
I probably it gets worse over the winter because in the summer there is a huge feel good factor that can be put down to the sun, and we have had an awsum long summer....:thumbsup:

Its good that there is a balance of good and bad experiences.

irnbru14 Mar 28th 2008 7:55 pm

One thing that has to be taken into account is that when a lot of people move here or wherever in the world, they are uprooting from familiar surroundings and familiar people and friends and family to move halfway round the globe to a new culture, country, people, way of life.

It is only natural in that situation that sometimes people's reactions to things will be greatly magnified, things that you possibly wouldn't think twice about in the UK suddenly seem to make a big impact here, and a lot of it is because people are adjusting to a new alien environment as well as trying to start a completely new life! Its not the easiet thing to do in the world, some say its brave others say its crazy, but whatever it is it is emotional, and you need to realise that peoples reactions to things may be greater than they would be because of all of this change and unfamiliarity they are dealing with.

Its about adjusting and it takes time, especially when you have lived in the UK all your life and are used to the way things work, NZ is not home, it is different, and it will be hard at times when you move out here, as long as the positives always outweigh the things that depress you or make you fed up, then its a great place to live :thumbsup:

Genesis Mar 28th 2008 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz (Post 6125049)
I don't think we are being negative at the moment....now if you havd been around about 12 months ago....then it was getting real negative, to the extent if anyone said anything positive they got 'shot' down, it comes and goes in waves....
I probably it gets worse over the winter because in the summer there is a huge feel good factor that can be put down to the sun, and we have had an awsum long summer....:thumbsup:

Its good that there is a balance of good and bad experiences.

To clarify, I am very enthusiastic about life in NZ, but very aware of all the crappy issues living in this country....pretty much like anywhere in the world. Good and bad.

There is NOTHING wrong with genuine negative posts. What irks me is when it all gets personal and people start suggesting that you should not even think of coming here (unless they are privvy to something that makes NZ a no no for you) or they start taking the piss about how awesome Oz,Canada etc,etc are over 'crappy' NZ...trading insults is useless.

Hard facts about all our genuine problems and what to expect are informative and very worthwhile for those coming here..balanced one hopes with the shed loads of great stuff about life here!!!!!

danny.f Mar 28th 2008 8:21 pm

I take it we need to ignore all the meet-ups nationally,all the chatter in the bar, the support when people first arrive,the promotions that lots of us have received, the picture thread, the hours at the beach at the bottom of our roads,the views a lot of us have, the kids getting away from the telly etc.

Alot of people are under the impression that we have replaced UK with NZ-but it's simpler than that-we have merely swapped. No more and no less.
Things are the same,things are different. People have good,bad,indifferent experiences.
There are hundreds of pages here. How many do we read?

Gill and Rob Mar 28th 2008 8:38 pm

[QUOTE=Tracy24;6124245]Hi

Just a quick point...... which visa?
NZ doesn't have a retirement visa.

Gill

Tracy24 Mar 28th 2008 8:53 pm

Thank you everyone who has responded.

As a grown up (well I guess I should call myself that!) I will make up my own mind about how I view a country and if I only get 3 weeks next year to do this, then so be it. I'm not stupid enough to think that 3 weeks will show me real life in NZ, but I plan to meet up with people I already know out in NZ and get their views on things and see how they live there life. When you put your mind to it it's amazing what you can find out in 3 weeks - both good and bad.

In the ideal world we would all take a few months or so living somewhere to see if it is right, but in reality for us anyway that won't happen.

I'm well aware NZ has it's own issues but you will get them in all countries and believe me I personally think that the UK is not a fantastic place to live at the moment but I for one wouldn't say to anyone don't come - it's their choice and it maybe the right one for them. Saying that to someone is wrong and everyone has to make up their own minds.

I appreciate the honestly of everyone on here and it's good to hear how the experience for everyone is different - afterall whats right for one is not right for another.

Tracy

Archangel Mar 28th 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 6125070)
To clarify, I am very enthusiastic about life in NZ, but very aware of all the crappy issues living in this country....pretty much like anywhere in the world. Good and bad.

There is NOTHING wrong with genuine negative posts. What irks me is when it all gets personal and people start suggesting that you should not even think of coming here (unless they are privvy to something that makes NZ a no no for you) or they start taking the piss about how awesome Oz,Canada etc,etc are over 'crappy' NZ...trading insults is useless.

Hard facts about all our genuine problems and what to expect are informative and very worthwhile for those coming here..balanced one hopes with the shed loads of great stuff about life here!!!!!

Totally agree :thumbup:

Bo-Jangles Mar 28th 2008 10:31 pm

I find it quite interesting that people view NZ as a retirement destination, how is that so? We hardly ever see any really elderly or infirm folks, clearly there must be plenty, but where do they all go?

Having had quite a few older rellies visit us here, they've all said it's a great place to visit but they simply couldn't live here, mostly due to the reliance on having a car, lack of transport, the hilly terrain and/or remoteness.

fitzandindiana Mar 28th 2008 10:39 pm

What a great post, i was getting so fed up of the negatives and it was beginning to make me question moving my family half way around the world but then along came this post and put everything back in perspective for me. So i am going to continue to read all the positives and the negatives and then hopefully if all goes to plan me and my family will be joining you all in new zealand.:)