Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone going to Palmy!!

Anyone going to Palmy!!

Old Apr 17th 2008, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

heavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone going to Palmy!!

Hi hopefully on way to NZ got interview for Midwife position in Palmerston North anyone any thoughts they want to share about Palmy must admit it looks lovely .... and when can you buy a house i heard it was a year after moving there ... renting first anyway so......

Ta
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone going to Palmy!!

Originally Posted by heavenljm
Hi hopefully on way to NZ got interview for Midwife position in Palmerston North anyone any thoughts they want to share about Palmy must admit it looks lovely .... and when can you buy a house i heard it was a year after moving there ... renting first anyway so......

Ta

Hi there, look at my posts and you will see we love it here. Been here 3 years and we have a very good life. Palmy is surrounded by beautiful scenery. Kate's a nurse and I am a housedad. We bought a house after 4 days!!!! So you can buy when ever. The housing market is very much in your favour at present, if you want to PM me I will pass you my phone number if you would like to chat. I have a freind who is the propery manager for a big rental company. We have 3 kids under 8..they all adore it here. There's soooooooooooooooooooo much to do. You get very good value for money housing wise and the beach is only half an hour away. We have 4 swimming pools, horse racing (trap and regular) golf courses (plural), scuba school, rock climbing school, tramping, fishing (we have a big river) gorge walking (we have a big gorge too!!), about 10 cinema screens, more restaurants than anywhere in NZ per capita, 4 theatres, a convention centre with endless attractions both national and international, jet boating, reasonable shopping, 2 bowling alleys, crazy golf, amazing walkways and parks and much much more. People are always putting the place down. Few have lived here and given it a chance. Okay there are MORE beautiful places to live in NZ but like you we came here for a reason (the job) and have found life here awesome!! There's no traffic either, everywhere in town takes 10 mins (and its quite big too..pop. c 80k). The peole are friendly and we are very content. Sounds good aye? When are you coming....are you a big family or coming solo. We have a nurse friend who came alone and she has cut herself a great life. See you soon!!!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:02 am
Just Joined

heavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Anyone going to Palmy!!

Hi thanks for info, sounds great we are really excited about it to be honest, i am married with husband whose joiner and four children aged 19,18,15,12 my oldest a boy and hes just at college/apprenticeship at present training to be an electrician and has 1 year left which hes hoping to finish in NZ. Been trying to get as much advice as possible really, another midwife i spoke to who moved over there last year advised that the application may go through as quick as 6 months if get job offer i think she said because of skilled migrant and job shortage there ??? i read some of you previous posts hee hee which came in handy ie we have been wondering whether to get a crate or leave our items .... think nope so if you have any recommendations ie crate wise would be great....i am finding it hard to know where to start really i have begun my EOI - but dont know how far to go until get go ahead i have job... but may just continue anyway ... thanks for all advice how is your wife finding working there ..i am not sure of wage/differences yet compared to here but its the way of life i am after am really not sure i want to be a midwife in UK anymore as am sure your wife felt same way..
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for info, sounds great we are really excited about it to be honest, i am married with husband whose joiner and four children aged 19,18,15,12 my oldest a boy and hes just at college/apprenticeship at present training to be an electrician and has 1 year left which hes hoping to finish in NZ. Been trying to get as much advice as possible really, another midwife i spoke to who moved over there last year advised that the application may go through as quick as 6 months if get job offer i think she said because of skilled migrant and job shortage there ??? i read some of you previous posts hee hee which came in handy ie we have been wondering whether to get a crate or leave our items .... think nope so if you have any recommendations ie crate wise would be great....i am finding it hard to know where to start really i have begun my EOI - but dont know how far to go until get go ahead i have job... but may just continue anyway ... thanks for all advice how is your wife finding working there ..i am not sure of wage/differences yet compared to here but its the way of life i am after am really not sure i want to be a midwife in UK anymore as am sure your wife felt same way..
Hello, bring EVERYTHING!! Thats what most people say. We bought a 40footer..crammed to the gunnels..no regrets..do regret leaving all my white goods...stuff like that is expensive here!! Kate loves nursing NZ style, she has now moved into palliative care, loves the work. Nurses earn around $50k-$60k dependent on seniority (median salary is $35k in NZ), there's more to be had over $60 k in some areas. A friend of ours has started her own MW practice..earning LOADS apparently. Midwives are on the VERY DESPERATE skills shortage list.......we have an appalling lack of them, most are in Europe or Oz earning more....but NZ is not a place anyone comes to get rich!!!!

It is a great place, full of problems just like all other 'real life' countries. But for many the pros FAR out weigh the cons. We started our application Sept 04, arrived April 2005! Kate got all the EOI done first, you will get here, its just a matter of time. The nursing council NZ drag their feet, I would get that done as soon as you are able, I guess once you have secured a job...which won't be hard...I imagine they will be fighting over you!!!

Look at www.trademe.co.nz re stuff to buy, prices etc, its our 'ebay'.

Also look at www.propertybrokers.co.nz re property www.remax.co.nz is another and finally 'google' destination Manawatu and look at www.pncc.govt.nz our local council's site.

Keep in touch aye?

Kind regards, Dom, Kate and the small ones.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Fab thanks for that will be having a little look at them shortly, i,ll continue EOI i mean its flippin long enough isnt it, have applied to nz college of midwives and have application form sorted. How did you settle at first, i dont want to make the mistake of kids treating it like holiday.... everything new am sure they will run through house declaring whose room is whose think thats why good idea spose to take wordly goods with ya, have you got anyone you would recommend i did get a quote from one firm for £6,000 and even an airline ... you mentioned about no traffic previously in Palmy ... gosh sounds great i have looked at properties around palmy as well bearing in mind walkin distance to hosp lol is there any particular areas you recommend. Did you and your wife go to Nz first. I dont think will ever be rich no matter where i go lol love earing money but enjoy spending it more lol no women/shopping puns please lol am glad your all settled in its inspiring thanks for being paitient am like a kid in a sweetshop at moment ....
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Fab thanks for that will be having a little look at them shortly, i,ll continue EOI i mean its flippin long enough isnt it, have applied to nz college of midwives and have application form sorted. How did you settle at first, i dont want to make the mistake of kids treating it like holiday.... everything new am sure they will run through house declaring whose room is whose think thats why good idea spose to take wordly goods with ya, have you got anyone you would recommend i did get a quote from one firm for £6,000 and even an airline ... you mentioned about no traffic previously in Palmy ... gosh sounds great i have looked at properties around palmy as well bearing in mind walkin distance to hosp lol is there any particular areas you recommend. Did you and your wife go to Nz first. I dont think will ever be rich no matter where i go lol love earing money but enjoy spending it more lol no women/shopping puns please lol am glad your all settled in its inspiring thanks for being paitient am like a kid in a sweetshop at moment ....

Kate came here blind. I came here on a world tickety thing back in 1991 and fell in love with NZ..Kate also loves it too. We settled really well and very quickly..mainly as we had burnt all our bridges and this HAD to work!!!! Why not give us a PM and take my phone number so we can chat about it.

Night night for now.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:24 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Try the Cafe - Victorian Esplanade in Palmy - they make awesome hotcakes (pancakes) with bacon and bananas
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:29 am
Just Joined

oooohhhhh sounds lovely will try and remember that lol thanks xxx
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:55 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Worked as a midwife in Wanganui, just down the road from Palmy. I have ideas on both, but they are of a slightly cautionary variety, and dont want to foist them upon you if you arent wanting to hear them.........nothing thrilling, just how it is to practice in NZ really. We rented in Palmy for 3 months and moved to Wanganui for 4 years, though OH communted to Palmy at the hospital every day.

Good luck in your move! Pm me if you want to chat.