Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone fancy a decent pint?

Anyone fancy a decent pint?

Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

steved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nice
Default Anyone fancy a decent pint?

My wife and I have been here about 2 months now, and enjoy going out for a drink now and then. However, when I go out to the pub I always make a point of looking for the local brews and trying them. I am an ale drinker and always have been. Used to be a member of Camra years ago. Anyway, I have come close to despairing of ever finding a beer here that was not blasted out of its barrel by CO2 and served up with at least 2 inches of foam floating on it.

Until yesterday.

We went over to Newmarket to try the Cock and Bull, and I had two pints of their Fuggle bitter. Talk about a Eureka momen! It's beautiful! 4.75%, well hopped and served warm! I had to ask them to take the little frother off the end of the tap which they were very happy to do, and the result was a pint with almost no head and masses of taste and character. Perhaps I should point out here that my wife drove back!

Why am I telling you this? Because I live on the North Shore, and there isn't a C & B pub up here. It just struck me that if enough of us showed an interest, they might be persuaded to open one up. Say in, oh I dont know, Albany?

Failing that, do any of you out there know where a decent pint can be found up here on the Shore? I'd surely love to here from you.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone fancy a decent pint?

Yeah the fuggles is good, I love living in the centre!! Next time you're in town, check out galbraith's in between the CBD and Mt Eden. One of the best micro-breweries in NZ I reckon. Try the Grafton Porter, yum
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
Yeah the fuggles is good, I love living in the centre!! Next time you're in town, check out galbraith's in between the CBD and Mt Eden. One of the best micro-breweries in NZ I reckon. Try the Grafton Porter, yum
Yes Galbraiths is good and there food is not bad either. Also as you leave the pub by the front door look across the road at the home brew shop for any of you that fancy making your own! Enjoy
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:42 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steved44
My wife and I have been here about 2 months now, and enjoy going out for a drink now and then. However, when I go out to the pub I always make a point of looking for the local brews and trying them. I am an ale drinker and always have been. Used to be a member of Camra years ago. Anyway, I have come close to despairing of ever finding a beer here that was not blasted out of its barrel by CO2 and served up with at least 2 inches of foam floating on it.

Until yesterday.

We went over to Newmarket to try the Cock and Bull, and I had two pints of their Fuggle bitter. Talk about a Eureka momen! It's beautiful! 4.75%, well hopped and served warm! I had to ask them to take the little frother off the end of the tap which they were very happy to do, and the result was a pint with almost no head and masses of taste and character. Perhaps I should point out here that my wife drove back!

Why am I telling you this? Because I live on the North Shore, and there isn't a C & B pub up here. It just struck me that if enough of us showed an interest, they might be persuaded to open one up. Say in, oh I dont know, Albany?

Failing that, do any of you out there know where a decent pint can be found up here on the Shore? I'd surely love to here from you.

Hey Steve,
My feelings exactly.
The Cock & Bull is a good one. I'm up on the shore too and it's a pain to find the decent boozers doing decent pints.
I've heard there is a good boozer in browns bay with a typical strange english name that does good beer. I'll locate the name and even pop in and try a few samples for you to see what it's like

Big Al.

Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

steved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Hey Steve,
My feelings exactly.
The Cock & Bull is a good one. I'm up on the shore too and it's a pain to find the decent boozers doing decent pints.
I've heard there is a good boozer in browns bay with a typical strange english name that does good beer. I'll locate the name and even pop in and try a few samples for you to see what it's like

Big Al.

Good man Al. It's a rotten job but someone's got to do it. I look forward to reading your findings. Browns Bay is a lot closer to me than Newmarket. Happy sampling!

Steve.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:02 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steved44
Good man Al. It's a rotten job but someone's got to do it. I look forward to reading your findings. Browns Bay is a lot closer to me than Newmarket. Happy sampling!

Steve.
Indeed - the C&B was the local from our old office and site of the odd dodgy nitghts out after Friday drinks....some involved extensive research.......

one bout of which almost landed me on a charge of harassment all because a young lady decided to place her cellphone (set on illumiate on ring mode) in her (somewhat ample) cleavage - I think it was a challenge to us blokes and lo and behold I just couldn't resist so my txt button was going way into the night......can't recall if there was a vibrate going, didn't have the courage to try and check, but I do recall her asking me much earlier in the evening to see if I could get some pen stains out of her blouse which involved her partly removing it and me dabbing the "affected area" with alcohol from a bottle of voddie, almost choked and could only stop my appendages from shaking with a stiff half (a gallon) at the C&B .... - all I remember afterwards was waking up with a start as the bus drove through Orewa.....happy days...
..when you are in there next please raise a glass to Friday drinks, the bus service and sad old men let loose......