British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone else moving to Oz? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-else-moving-oz-767182/)

Buzzy--Bee Aug 9th 2012 2:54 am

Re: Anyone else moving to Oz?

Hi there.

We lived in NZ for 2 years in the 1990s, Mrs Buzzy is a Kiwi. Due to the fact that at the time in the South Island a job working in a paint shop for $9.50 per hour was applied for by 150 people, yet everything was between 2 and 10 times as expensive as the UK, we had to return to the UK as we had no money, no lifestyle and no future.

We have now lived in Melbourne for 5 years, and it has been the best move of our lives, a better lifestyle than NZ and a better income than the UK. Win win!

Bear in mind though, that I don't think South Island NZ, where even Christchurch (pre-earthquake) was really just a medium sized regional town, can be compared with London or Melbourne, both of which are vibrant, exciting, happening cities.

However because I can, I'm going to compare our lives in NZ and our lives in OZ anyway.

Wages: Almost everyone I know earns between AU$80,000 and AU$150,000. An employed tradesperson can earn around AU$80k, a self employed one AU$200k. I pay overall about 25% tax, there are that many tax rebates and allowances available. In NZ (in the 1990s) my wife and I earned NZ$22,000 between us!

Costs: Food shopping is about the same cost here and NZ. But the supermarkets here are crap so we shop at Aldi and local shops. One of the advantages of the supermarkets being crap is that little local high streets are well patronised and there's a great community. Bills are a LOT cheaper here. Petrol is a lot cheaper. Clothes are a lot cheaper.

Attitude of locals: In NZ, when I said where I came from, the response was generally something derogatory about England. In Australia, people are interested in where you come from, most of them have been to Europe. Nobody, without exception, judges you by your background here. I have only been called a pom once, that was by another Englishman. In NZ I got it as an insult or a wind up pretty much every day.

Work: Much the same as UK, but there is more flexibility. I work 7am - 3pm and I work from home around 2 days per week. My overseas experience was valued as there weren't enough locals with my skillset. In NZ, it seemed to be considered that your employer was doing you the biggest favour by even bothering to give you a job and you should bow down and be grateful daily.

Health: The doctor here is free, as are many of the outpatient services through something called "bulk billing". In NZ it was $50 to visit the doctor. The health services so far have been better than the UK even in as much as you can get a doctor's appointment quickly and at a time convenient to you, even weekends. This convenience was the same in NZ.

School: Can't compare with NZ as didn't have kids then.

Lifestyle: Best ever. We can walk to the beach, the water is warm enough to swim in 6 months of the year. We can afford to own a boat. We can drive to ski slopes in 2 hours. We can fly to tropical parts in 2 hours on an internal flight (this has been a real novelty!). There are lots of bushwalks near us, in the hills about 30 mins drive away the scenery is just like the NZ bush, with tree ferns etc. We can drive to vineyards. We are lucky enough to be able to live in a nice house in a nice area with a garden large enough for the kids to have lots of fun with their friends. We couldn't do any of this in NZ. We couldn't afford to.

Culture: Nothing as good as Europe, but way ahead of NZ. We have been to many shows, plays, musical recitals from Mozart to Iron Maiden, fringe theatre, comedy and I would even say that the restaurants here are better, more affordable and more available than London. There are several art galleries and museums here of various sizes. Every weekend there is some festival or celebration going on in one or other part of Melbourne.

Did I mention we love it here? :D

Pick your area wisely in Australia though. The number one thing has to be income. Without income, it doesn't matter how much the sun is shining, it's all just an unsustainable dream.

BB

Expat Kiwi Aug 9th 2012 6:53 am

School: I can compare and I think the standard is far higher here, even in Queensland.

My children all went through fee paying schools here in Australia and the range of subjects and facilities that were available to them were outright superb. Now they're moving on to go to top notch universities which are also very well equipped and which have highly regarded international reputations. The state assists with fees (Commonwealth Supported places) and their loans will be HECS debted which means they don't start making repayments until they earn $49,095 .

There is no interest charged on student loans but they are CPI linked when they are 11 months old so as to maintain their real value.

If graduates decide to work abroad they're not penalised for doing so and no one comes looking for student debt repayments, unlike New Zealand which is pursuing some ex students relentlessly for their outstanding loans.

Ian & Sharon Aug 9th 2012 6:54 am

Brisbane is a kinda cool place! First post for a while, how's everyone doing?;)

Expat Kiwi Aug 9th 2012 6:57 am

Very well thank you. Was up your neck of the woods a little while ago, very nice part of the word you have there in the Bay :D

Did you ever go for that second storey on your house and the sea view?

Ian & Sharon Aug 9th 2012 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10218107)
Very well thank you. Was up your neck of the woods a little while ago, very nice part of the word you have there :D

Did you ever go for that second storey on your house?

How did you know that :eek:

Expat Kiwi Aug 9th 2012 6:59 am

You were talking about it eons ago :rofl: I have one of those sort of memories.

Expat Kiwi Aug 9th 2012 7:01 am

You do realise that people are going to pester you to finish off that journal? now that you've made an appearance and all.

Ian & Sharon Aug 9th 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10218116)
You do realise that people are going to pester you to finish off that journal? now that you've made an appearance and all.

I know, they'll have to wait a few months and buy it :fingerscrossed:

Ian & Sharon Aug 9th 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10218110)
You were talking about it eons ago :rofl: I have one of those sort of memories.

We ended up moving down the road.

Expat Kiwi Aug 9th 2012 7:06 am

Excellent idea, much easier than doing a reno.