Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ANYONE ELSE HAVE FEAR OF FLYING!

ANYONE ELSE HAVE FEAR OF FLYING!

Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default ANYONE ELSE HAVE FEAR OF FLYING!

I sometimes wonder how I ever managed to get to New Zealand from the UK in the first place as I dislike flying so much and get very very nervous almost to the state of a panic attack. Well actually I do know why, we had a stop for a week in USA to visit our son so was able to manage it in 2 separate medium haul flights. Now going back to the UK in one stretch was freaking me out.

First I couldn't press the confirm button when booking the flights, had to walk away and tell myself off for being so stupid and come back and do it and then followed the running to the loo and stuff - you know what I mean. Then came a very sleepless night wondering if I was having a heart attack, this is freaking me out I thought. Then came a trip to the Doctor to see what she could do to help me out of this fear. To cut a long story short she recommended I download Paul McKenna's Cure your Fear of Flying Phobia which I have done, it cost just over 15 GBP and I have been listening to it every day since getting it last week. It says you need to listen to it every day for 2 weeks but already I am seeing positive changes. I no longer freak out at the thought of it and I just wanted to say that if anyone else feels the same way (and I am sure I am not alone in these feelings!) then I can really recommend this as a way forward. I also have been given some pills to take with me but I hope not to take them, just nice to know they are there in my bag should I have a freaky moment.

Does anyone else have any tips?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all
Default Re: ANYONE ELSE HAVE FEAR OF FLYING!

Some of the airlines have Fear of Flying clubs usually run by ex Flight Attendants. I know Qantas has maybe Air NZ also have.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

No i just have a fear of crashing

Flying is fine theres noting up there to hurt you, that only comes
when you hit the ground so i spose i have a fear of taking off and landing.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I have all the things you describe. If you want comfort and reassurance try typing "fear of flying" into Youtube. There are a number of short videos from the Virgin Atlantic course that are quite good.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 3:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: ANYONE ELSE HAVE FEAR OF FLYING!

I have a fear of other passengers. Business men who insist on sharing with you in microscopic details of their boring company life, old ladies who talk to you endlessly about their moderately successful sons they are going to see…I always get stuck next to the bad ones .

Can I not just get a teenage girl (teenage boys don’t wash enough) content with listening to her iPod and reading a magazine quietly?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

I am in the same position, we are flying back to UK next week for a 2 week break and to meet our new Grandson, but the thought of the flight freaks me out.

On previous flights i have been to see the GP to get Diazepam as helps me to relax and stops me freaking out every time there is a change in engine noise or turbulence.

Shirl, just think of who you will see, and why you are going, and all the shopping you get to do over there and it will so be worth the flight.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I developed a fear of flying after the Manchester Air Disaster (I was fine before that). We flew out to Malta a couple of weeks after it & I was petrified.

I didn't let my fear stop me from going anywhere but I used to get really worked up about the flight. I would be in tears before I went anywhere (poor hubby ).

I haven't done any of the courses but have taken small steps along the way. I started off by telling a member of the flight crew that I was petrified of flying, as they were coming round to check seatbelts etc. I then found that they would give me slightly more attention (or distractions!!!) during the flight. I would thank them profusely once we had landed safely.

OH's hand would be squeezed to death on take-off & landing though. He was great & would talk me through different sounds that the aircraft would make eg. Landing equipment going up & down, adjustment of flaps etc. He learned to say it before I went "What's that???" with a look of fear.

I got a piece of advice off TV once, which was to wiggle your toes on Take-off & landing & concentrate on doing it ie. distraction. That worked well for me. Also I used to take my cross-stitch on flights, can't do that anymore because of terrorists (because of sharp needles & scissors, not because terrorists have a penchant for craftwork ).
But if you enjoy doing crosswords or something similar then that may help.

I have gradually learned to relax. I always watch the safety video & read the safety card even if it was only a few days ago when I last flew. I count the number of rows of seats to the nearest exit in case of an emergency. That way I feel I have some measure of control.

In 2005 I was so relaxed about flying that I came to NZ on my own. I love flying now.

I do like to partake of a glass of wine or two on a flight which always helps

Hope you have enjoyable & uneventful flights Shirl & Kimi-Deacon.

PS. I can rent the OH out for a large fee
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I have all the things you describe. If you want comfort and reassurance try typing "fear of flying" into Youtube. There are a number of short videos from the Virgin Atlantic course that are quite good.
I knew there was someone out there the same as me. I will look at you tube but the Paul McKenna stuff is starting to work! Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
I am in the same position, we are flying back to UK next week for a 2 week break and to meet our new Grandson, but the thought of the flight freaks me out.

On previous flights i have been to see the GP to get Diazepam as helps me to relax and stops me freaking out every time there is a change in engine noise or turbulence.

Shirl, just think of who you will see, and why you are going, and all the shopping you get to do over there and it will so be worth the flight.
Kimi I can defo recommend listening to Paul McKenna as well. It has helped me. I also have diazepam and lorazepam!! The doc told me to try lorazepam this time! I won't of course unless I asbolutely have to as I don't like the feeling of not being in control!! Perhaps that is the reason I get like this. Perhaps I should sit up front and instruct the pilots lol lol !!!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I developed a fear of flying after the Manchester Air Disaster (I was fine before that). We flew out to Malta a couple of weeks after it & I was petrified.

I didn't let my fear stop me from going anywhere but I used to get really worked up about the flight. I would be in tears before I went anywhere (poor hubby ).

I haven't done any of the courses but have taken small steps along the way. I started off by telling a member of the flight crew that I was petrified of flying, as they were coming round to check seatbelts etc. I then found that they would give me slightly more attention (or distractions!!!) during the flight. I would thank them profusely once we had landed safely.

OH's hand would be squeezed to death on take-off & landing though. He was great & would talk me through different sounds that the aircraft would make eg. Landing equipment going up & down, adjustment of flaps etc. He learned to say it before I went "What's that???" with a look of fear.

I got a piece of advice off TV once, which was to wiggle your toes on Take-off & landing & concentrate on doing it ie. distraction. That worked well for me. Also I used to take my cross-stitch on flights, can't do that anymore because of terrorists (because of sharp needles & scissors, not because terrorists have a penchant for craftwork ).
But if you enjoy doing crosswords or something similar then that may help.

I have gradually learned to relax. I always watch the safety video & read the safety card even if it was only a few days ago when I last flew. I count the number of rows of seats to the nearest exit in case of an emergency. That way I feel I have some measure of control.

In 2005 I was so relaxed about flying that I came to NZ on my own. I love flying now.

I do like to partake of a glass of wine or two on a flight which always helps

Hope you have enjoyable & uneventful flights Shirl & Kimi-Deacon.

PS. I can rent the OH out for a large fee
I also think the longer between flights the worse it is. I used to go abroad all the time in the UK and handled it really well. I think it is because I have only been on a plane a few times since coming here. You forget how it felt. I must say the very first flight was terrifying, then gradually, year after year, I learnt to relax so much so that I could actually eat and drink. Couldn't do either on the first ever flight too petrified!!! Then I thought how priveledged I was and sat by the window and used to look down at the scenery below. Then came the long haul ones and back to square one but I am determined not to be trapped here any more and so I will get over this fear one way or the other. Practice makes perfect so they say.

Did you know that the only fears that a human is born with is fear of falling and fear of sudden loud noises. All other fears we learn along the way. Now to unlearn them!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
I also think the longer between flights the worse it is. I used to go abroad all the time in the UK and handled it really well. I think it is because I have only been on a plane a few times since coming here. You forget how it felt. I must say the very first flight was terrifying, then gradually, year after year, I learnt to relax so much so that I could actually eat and drink. Couldn't do either on the first ever flight too petrified!!! Then I thought how priveledged I was and sat by the window and used to look down at the scenery below. Then came the long haul ones and back to square one but I am determined not to be trapped here any more and so I will get over this fear one way or the other. Practice makes perfect so they say.

Did you know that the only fears that a human is born with is fear of falling and fear of sudden loud noises. All other fears we learn along the way. Now to unlearn them!!
Good for you Shirl. Paul McKenna is obviously working for you (wish he'd work for me on the weight-loss thing ), so that's fantastic. The toe-wiggling thing really worked for me.

The latter doesn't surprise me as having been a midwife, the two things babies respond to with the startle reflect is a (small) drop & loud noises. I have a weird phobia - yellow gold!!! Can't touch the stuff, it makes me physically sick. Odd I know!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

It also gets worse the older you get !! I used to be fine with it in my 30's,long hauls no problems. Had a mate in NZ with access to a Cessna and Cherokee and we used to share the cost of the fuel. Day trips to Great Barrier,Wanganui for bike racing on boxing day etc. no probs.
Then had a work trip from UK to Sydney a couple of years ago and had a nightmare couple of flights one with cold air turbulance where the plane just dropped without any warning - they had just served dinner - everyone was wearing salad etc from 3 rows in front !! Bloke next to me his glass of red wine hit the ceiling ( I shouted "oi mate,you need to throw a glass of white up there to get rid of it !!")
Never been the same since and now dread flying,any turbulance and I'm a bag of nerves. Have to go to the IOM with work now (sign of the times !!)on flying pencils which is a hairy experience in winter time with crosswinds landing at Douglas.
Perhaps the Diazepam is a good idea !!

Last edited by Droidling; Apr 14th 2011 at 12:45 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:12 pm
Banned

Tom-flightholiday is an unknown quantity at this point

For some people Alternative therapies work very well.
As well as or instead of hypnosis there is acupuncture and a newer alternative therapy (on the same meridian lines) called TFT.
Some prospective travellers have also found NLP to work for them.

In my view a stiff brandy is no good unless it's the whole bottle so that you are unable to think or move for the duration of the flight and in the airport.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom-flightholiday
For some people Alternative therapies work very well.
As well as or instead of hypnosis there is acupuncture and a newer alternative therapy (on the same meridian lines) called TFT.
Some prospective travellers have also found NLP to work for them.

In my view a stiff brandy is no good unless it's the whole bottle so that you are unable to think or move for the duration of the flight and in the airport.
Paul uses TFT in his teachings on the tape. Thought Field Therapy, it includes tapping 10 times on accupuncture points on various parts of the body. I am all for new fangled if they work!! Which this seems to be doing!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droidling
It also gets worse the older you get !! I used to be fine with it in my 30's,long hauls no problems. Had a mate in NZ with access to a Cessna and Cherokee and we used to share the cost of the fuel. Day trips to Great Barrier,Wanganui for bike racing on boxing day etc. no probs.
Then had a work trip from UK to Sydney a couple of years ago and had a nightmare couple of flights one with cold air turbulance where the plane just dropped without any warning - they had just served dinner - everyone was wearing salad etc from 3 rows in front !! Bloke next to me his glass of red wine hit the ceiling ( I shouted "oi mate,you need to throw a glass of white up there to get rid of it !!")
Never been the same since and now dread flying,any turbulance and I'm a bag of nerves. Have to go to the IOM with work now (sign of the times !!)on flying pencils which is a hairy experience in winter time with crosswinds landing at Douglas.
Perhaps the Diazepam is a good idea !!
Oh those little planes as seem far worse than the big ones don't they! I have been on the internet and looked at all I can find on the A380 and had a walk round via you tube etc. It seems all fine, I have changed the seats about 4 times after looking at the seatguru site!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.