British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Anyone else got the lurgies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/anyone-else-got-lurgies-332291/)

SarahB Oct 19th 2005 8:14 am

Anyone else got the lurgies?

Helloooo....

Has anyone else got this horrible throat/ear infection at the moment?? I've had it 10 days now and its draining me so much. Its not like a cold at all.... no runny nose or anything.... its just a real nasty sore throat that moves into your ears .... my eyes hurt for 2 days too.... and it seems to switch sides from one ear to another every couple of days. I also have pretty bad headaches with it too.

I met somebody today whos had it for the last 2 weeks but she was worse with high fever as well. She did go to the doctor but the antibiotics did nothing for it at all... maybe its viral?

I had colds in the UK and the odd sore throat that lasted 2 or 3 days but nothing like this.... it shows no sign of going yet... :(

Anyway, I hope none of you have got it as its horrible.

Sarah :(

bookemjano Oct 19th 2005 8:49 am

Re: Anyone else got the lurgies?

Originally Posted by SarahB
Helloooo....

Has anyone else got this horrible throat/ear infection at the moment?? I've had it 10 days now and its draining me so much. Its not like a cold at all.... no runny nose or anything.... its just a real nasty sore throat that moves into your ears .... my eyes hurt for 2 days too.... and it seems to switch sides from one ear to another every couple of days. I also have pretty bad headaches with it too.

I met somebody today whos had it for the last 2 weeks but she was worse with high fever as well. She did go to the doctor but the antibiotics did nothing for it at all... maybe its viral?

I had colds in the UK and the odd sore throat that lasted 2 or 3 days but nothing like this.... it shows no sign of going yet... :(

Nasty! Hope you feel better soon. My daughter had something similar and her voice is still croaky. She'll hate me tellling you this - she had bright green poo for a few days afterwards. You've been warned!

SarahB Oct 19th 2005 9:40 am

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Nasty! Hope you feel better soon. My daughter had something similar and her voice is still croaky. She'll hate me tellling you this - she had bright green poo for a few days afterwards. You've been warned!

LOL..... well Ive had this now for 10 days and no sign of green poo yet so maybe I wont get it! :D

Pompey_Paul Oct 19th 2005 9:47 am

Helloooo....

Have you been near any Birds with runny beaks? :)

SarahB Oct 19th 2005 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Have you been near any Birds with runny beaks? :)

LOL.....dont say that!! :eek:

SarahB...still waiting for the green poo stage.... ;)

melting pot Oct 19th 2005 6:31 pm

Helloooo....

I have been ill, so has family with one thing or another since being here, I have put it down as going from winter, to winter, and being exposed to new viruses, had recurrent thrush for 5 months, which only had once before during pregnancy, colds, throat infections, admitted to hospital twice first in may then again with same thing in Sept as throat swollen, feet swollen, thought it was an acute infection, but turned out to be angioedema...which in short is an allergic reaction to the unknown !!! ( maybe just NZ)baby got another cough at mo...

Husband came home from work, had been talking to a prof who is working on the likelihood of this avian flu mutating and affecting humans,said need to go and stock pile food and water as the transition should be a case of when , and not if...great news eh !! although people are saying no reason to expect it should make the transition, they said that about mad cow disease too....and then came the truth about CJD..... but theses experts are not always right are they !!!

So like you, completely fed up with being ill, and looking forward to the warmer weather here....

SarahB Oct 23rd 2005 9:58 am

Originally Posted by melting pot
I have been ill, so has family with one thing or another since being here, I have put it down as going from winter, to winter, and being exposed to new viruses, had recurrent thrush for 5 months, which only had once before during pregnancy, colds, throat infections, admitted to hospital twice first in may then again with same thing in Sept as throat swollen, feet swollen, thought it was an acute infection, but turned out to be angioedema...which in short is an allergic reaction to the unknown !!! ( maybe just NZ)baby got another cough at mo...

Husband came home from work, had been talking to a prof who is working on the likelihood of this avian flu mutating and affecting humans,said need to go and stock pile food and water as the transition should be a case of when , and not if...great news eh !! although people are saying no reason to expect it should make the transition, they said that about mad cow disease too....and then came the truth about CJD..... but theses experts are not always right are they !!!

So like you, completely fed up with being ill, and looking forward to the warmer weather here....

I didnt have a cold for over 3 years before having my little boy....now suddenly I have them all the time!! New country....new strains of bugs to get used to.

Anyway.... my sore throat has nearly gone and I feel much better!! :D

scottish Oct 23rd 2005 2:26 pm

It could also be something called Culture Shock.. there was a fab article on here a long time ago. I didnt get any bugs but my bones ached for months.

SarahB Oct 25th 2005 9:51 am

I spoke too soon....its back with a vengeance!! :mad: :(

Pompey_Paul Oct 25th 2005 1:18 pm

Could be stress!! it breaks down the immune system.....you guys have been through a lot of stress :beer:

possoms Oct 25th 2005 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by scottish
It could also be something called Culture Shock.. there was a fab article on here a long time ago. I didnt get any bugs but my bones ached for months.

Is this the article :)

http://www.doctortravel.ca/culture_shock.asp

Pompey_Paul Oct 25th 2005 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by possoms

I never got passed the "Conformist stage" in the UK :beer:

possoms Oct 26th 2005 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
I never got passed the "Conformist stage" in the UK :beer:

:D LOL

SarahB Oct 27th 2005 8:59 am

I won't say on here that I'm starting to feel better as last time I spoke too soon and it came back.... :p

Just reading that article on Culture Shock... wow its so true....I recognise parts of it as to how I've felt since coming here. I can't actually remember having a "Honeymoon" phase (Stage 1) as I wasnt happy here to start with as some of you know. I seemed to go straight to Stage 2 the "emptiness or rejection" phase. Trying to work out what stage I'm at now.... I would say that I'm somewhere between stages 3 and 4.

The one main thing that helped me feel more settled is buying my horse... it just turned me around and I felt more "normal" again. Moving to Beachlands from South Auckland helped too...its so lovely here...you couldnt help but fall in love with the place.

bookemjano Oct 27th 2005 9:22 am

I won't say on here that I'm starting to feel better as last time I spoke too soon and it came back.... :p

Just reading that article on Culture Shock... wow its so true....I recognise parts of it as to how I've felt since coming here. I can't actually remember having a "Honeymoon" phase (Stage 1) as I wasnt happy here to start with as some of you know. I seemed to go straight to Stage 2 the "emptiness or rejection" phase. Trying to work out what stage I'm at now.... I would say that I'm somewhere between stages 3 and 4.

The one main thing that helped me feel more settled is buying my horse... it just turned me around and I felt more "normal" again. Moving to Beachlands from South Auckland helped too...its so lovely here...you couldnt help but fall in love with the place.

I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase, hope it lasts longer than that article says it will.