Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone else done the parent multiple entry visa?

Anyone else done the parent multiple entry visa?

Old May 4th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone else done the parent multiple entry visa?

Just wanted to pick someones brains about this visa. I want my mum to come and live with us here but as the Centre of Gravity is in the UK I thought that this visa might give us more time together...

Any info from someone who has done it?
Old May 5th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else done the parent multiple entry visa?

hello!

sorry, no words of wisdom, but we're also looking at this visa (earlier post on this here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...andparent+visa) just to get us through until we get our three years in and can sponsor my ma... slightly different situation though, cos COG would be with us in NZ rather than in UK

haven't investigated any further cos getting stuck into getting us there in one piece at the mo! intend getting in touch with INZ to talk to them about it - unless you manage to turn up some stuff!!
Old May 5th 2009, 10:05 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

C.O.G is a bugger as far as I am aware you can only ever get temp visas whilst the COG is in UK. But if anyone knows different it would be great to hear.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

..bump..

If the centre of gravity is in the UK, then the parent cannot be sponsored to live in NZ as a permanent Resident. All you can hope for is the multiple entry visa to allow you to spend more time together as NZGirl says.

Bit heavy going, but for anyone out there here is what the NZIS operations manual states.

I suppose the trick would be to alternate the long visits here by one's parent with that of visits back to the UK.

V3.110 Parent and grandparent multiple entry visitor's visa policy

1. The objective of the parent and grandparent multiple entry visitor's visa policy is to facilitate opportunities for parents or grandparents (and their partners) to visit their New Zealand citizen or resident children or grandchildren, through the issue of multiple entry visitor's visas.
2. To be issued a visa under this policy applicants must:
1. lodge an application for a visitor's visa, as set out in E4, from outside New Zealand; and
2. meet the requirements under Generic Temporary Entry Policy; and
3. provide a full medical certificate as if their intention were to remain in New Zealand for more than 12 months (see E6.1.10).
3. Children of the principal applicant and/or their partner may not be granted a visa or permit under this policy to accompany their parent but must obtain a visitor's visa in their own right.
4. Applicant(s) must be sponsored by the principal applicant's child or grandchild aged 17 years or older who:
1. is a New Zealand citizen; or
2. holds a New Zealand residence permit that is not subject to requirements imposed under section 18A of the Immigration Act 1987; or
3. is exempt under section 12(1) of the Immigration Act 1987 from having to hold a permit.
5. In cases where a child or grandchild is less than 17 years old and therefore cannot sponsor the applicant(s), a parent of the child or grandchild of the principal applicant may nevertheless sponsor the applicant(s) if they meet the sponsorship requirements set out at V3.110 (d) (i) (ii) and (iii), regardless of whether that parent is a child of the principal applicant.
6. Where (e) occurs, evidence must be provided of the family relationship of the child or grandchild to the sponsoring parent.
7. The sponsor may sponsor only one person or one family unit (principal applicant and their partner) at one time.

V3.110.1 Supporting documents

1. Notwithstanding V2.20, people applying under this policy must provide a Sponsorship form for visiting New Zealand (NZIS 1025) completed by their New Zealand citizen or resident child or grandchild (or by the parent of their child or grandchild), in which the sponsor guarantees to meet the cost, while in New Zealand, of the applicant(s):
1. maintenance; and
2. accommodation; and
3. health care; and
4. repatriation.
2. Visa officers must sight the following:
1. evidence of the New Zealand immigration or citizenship status of the sponsor;
2. documents that confirm the principal applicant's relationship to the child or grandchild.

V3.110.5 Length of permitted stay

1. Notwithstanding V2.5 and V2.15, applicants who are approved under this policy may be issued with a 3-year multiple entry visitor's visa, allowing permits for visits of 6 months from each date of arrival provided that:
1. the sponsor intends to be in New Zealand during the period of any visit to New Zealand permitted by that visa; and
2. the sponsor supports the application.
2. Notwithstanding V3.110.5 (a) applicants are limited to a maximum stay in New Zealand of 18 months in total during the currency of the visa.

V3.110.10 Issue of further multiple entry visitor's visas under this policy

1. A further visitor's visa under this policy will not normally be approved within 3 years of the date that the most recent visa was issued under this policy.
2. The following people will not normally be eligible for a subsequent multiple entry visitor's visa under this policy:
1. People who were granted a visa under this policy and whose sponsor was not in New Zealand during the period(s) of their visit(s) to New Zealand;
2. Any person granted a visa under this policy, who remains in New Zealand for a period in excess of the maximum allowable stay (18 months).
Old May 6th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

What if the COG was in New Zealand and your a year short of the three year qualification period for sponsoring a parent? Are NZIS receptive to different circumstances or is it a case of you will wait three years before you can sponsor someone...
Old May 6th 2009, 7:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
What if the COG was in New Zealand and your a year short of the three year qualification period for sponsoring a parent? Are NZIS receptive to different circumstances or is it a case of you will wait three years before you can sponsor someone...
hiya Simon!

various places on NZIS website refers to 'special circumstances' where consideration will be given to earlier sponsorship or similar arrangement, but i've not found anywhere yet where they detail what these might be... TBH though i've given up on trying to get my head round it at the moment - enough going on without trying to sort this too!

it might be worth a call or email to them asking? think this is my next likely course of action, but prob not til we get to NZ now - too much on!

also, i'm not sure if it's possible to sponsor a parent whilst they are in nz 'visiting' if it WAS, then a year short of your 3 years you could have a parent enter on visitor visa, extend this, then get your sponsorship submitted on the three year anniversary... if that is possible, then i guess there would be the complicating factor of having to sort out parents stuff arriving from UK - presumably they'd pay tax on anything shipped in, unless it was possible to say, ship it to someone who was already resident (ie yourselves) but i think i've read somewhere that the 'tax free' period for receiving goods is quite limited in terms of length of time from your arrival with visa... (then again, the tax might be a small price to pay to have said parent not thousands of miles away!)

that's probably of no help at all, but you never know!!
Old May 6th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stoof
hiya Simon!

various places on NZIS website refers to 'special circumstances' where consideration will be given to earlier sponsorship or similar arrangement, but i've not found anywhere yet where they detail what these might be... TBH though i've given up on trying to get my head round it at the moment - enough going on without trying to sort this too!

it might be worth a call or email to them asking? think this is my next likely course of action, but prob not til we get to NZ now - too much on!

also, i'm not sure if it's possible to sponsor a parent whilst they are in nz 'visiting' if it WAS, then a year short of your 3 years you could have a parent enter on visitor visa, extend this, then get your sponsorship submitted on the three year anniversary... if that is possible, then i guess there would be the complicating factor of having to sort out parents stuff arriving from UK - presumably they'd pay tax on anything shipped in, unless it was possible to say, ship it to someone who was already resident (ie yourselves) but i think i've read somewhere that the 'tax free' period for receiving goods is quite limited in terms of length of time from your arrival with visa... (then again, the tax might be a small price to pay to have said parent not thousands of miles away!)

that's probably of no help at all, but you never know!!
Your right Jen, i'm gonna have to get of me arse and ask them... I do get put of contacting them as previous experience has lead me to get a jobsworth who just recites the book andothers who give sound solid advice...

Good luck with the packing... not long now?
Old May 8th 2009, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Your right Jen, i'm gonna have to get of me arse and ask them... I do get put of contacting them as previous experience has lead me to get a jobsworth who just recites the book andothers who give sound solid advice...

Good luck with the packing... not long now?
hmm.... j got back late tues...we're off to leeds to see friends this weekend, but then getting stuck in with a vengence on monday! car boot booked for nxt weekend! removers coming 8/9 june... not long now!

let us know if you do get any useful crack from nzis!
Old May 8th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

When they say three years does this mean you have had to of had PR for three years or does this mean that you have had to of lived in NZ for three years on any visa before sponsoring someone?
Old May 9th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
When they say three years does this mean you have had to of had PR for three years or does this mean that you have had to of lived in NZ for three years on any visa before sponsoring someone?
You have to have PR for three years, but saying that i did contact immigraton and they did say that on a case by case basis they will consider sponsorship earlier than three years... I'm trying to find out the in's and out's of how...
Old May 9th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

You have to have PR for three years, but saying that i did contact immigraton and they did say that on a case by case basis they will consider sponsorship earlier than three years... I'm trying to find out the in's and out's of how...
Let us know how you get on Simon, would be interested to know just in case my daughter decides she wants to live here in the future, at the mo we have only had PR for 15 months so bit of wait yet if she did want to come out. Thanks
Old May 9th 2009, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: Anyone else done the parent multiple entry visa?

Hello

Just to give you some bad news re Parent Visas - we have just sent in our application in March 2009 to London and got a letter back saying that it could be up to two years before we get allocated a Visa Officer and a further 4 to 6 months before they look at our application! We have both our children as residents in New Zealand. They have to be residents for 3 years before they can sponsor you.

It is so frustrating because we want to be in New Zealand to support our children and grandchildren not here!! We have just decided to put it to the back of our minds but it is heart wrenching for all our family.

The multiple entry visa does my head in. If we go on holiday we just go for about 6 to 8 weeks as it costs a fortune - hire car alone for 8 weeks and then flight tickets over £1000 each when we went last Christmas. So can only visit probably every year. If our children had a spare 'granny flat' we would probably stay there for full time allowed but unfortunately they haven't.

We have been planning our move for quite a few years and you think the time will never arrive - but with email and Skype the family do seem to be a bit nearer to us.

Good luck.

Last edited by Paula2007; May 9th 2009 at 8:31 am. Reason: spellings
Old May 9th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paula2007
Hello

Just to give you some bad news re Parent Visas - we have just sent in our application in March 2009 to London and got a letter back saying that it could be up to two years before we get allocated a Visa Officer and a further 4 to 6 months before they look at our application! We have both our children as residents in New Zealand. They have to be residents for 3 years before they can sponsor you.

It is so frustrating because we want to be in New Zealand to support our children and grandchildren not here!! We have just decided to put it to the back of our minds but it is heart wrenching for all our family.

The multiple entry visa does my head in. If we go on holiday we just go for about 6 to 8 weeks as it costs a fortune - hire car alone for 8 weeks and then flight tickets over £1000 each when we went last Christmas. So can only visit probably every year. If our children had a spare 'granny flat' we would probably stay there for full time allowed but unfortunately they haven't.

We have been planning our move for quite a few years and you think the time will never arrive - but with email and Skype the family do seem to be a bit nearer to us.

Good luck.
Good Luck with the visa For us it would be sponsoring a daughter rather than a Parent but i think the 3yr rule still applies either way, trouble is i think if our daughter wanted to live here then i think my parents would also want to live here as well, thank god Big Sis has her application for PR in already.
Old May 10th 2009, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paula2007
Hello

Good luck.

Have you looked at the Grandparents Visa which lasts for 18mths? My Father-in-law has just applied for it. Hasnt heard back yet though, so not sure of ins and outs.