Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone Coming To Christchurch?

Anyone Coming To Christchurch?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone Coming To Christchurch?

We are hoping to be in chch early Dec. Sorry this is not a question about rentals as this is all sorted by my OH employer which is a load off our minds. My question is about cost of living. My OH will be earning 80,000NZD is this a good wage? We will be bringing approx £20,000 with us. My OH employers are paying for everything from medicals, relocation, flights and rent for 8 months. So our money is pretty much our own for the first few months. I wouldn't like to think that this may the reason that we dont come over. It never really crossed my mind about finances until our passports came back with the blue sticker, now it all seems so real and final.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Donna,
Sounds like your hubbie is much like mine - I am a long suffering bike widow
If your husband is into doing more than just cycle commuting there is a very strong roadie culture, lots of clubs and races etc. Mountain biking is just huge in ChCh, there are heaps of purpose built tracks in the Port Hills and some easier ones in forestry blocks too.
Living on the hills comes at a premium, property costs more. That said there are quite a few hill suburbs to choose from so you won't know until you suss out your budget. Cashmere is nice, and one of the more expensive suburbs in town. Awesome views.
10 miles from the center gets you practically the whole city and hills plus some newer subdivisions such as Halswell and Oaklands. I am on the south side of the city and love it for the proximity to the hills, the east side is cheaper and gives you the beach, the west side gives you easier access to the rest of Canterbury and the airport. The north has quite a big mix of older areas and new subdivisions and is flat. Major generalisations there

If you are arriving mid Jan don't expect there to be much going on to help you with your research. Jan is the traditional time for family holidays and the "silly season" exists. By the end of Jan things start moving again.
My boss lives in Charteris Bay, it is lovely.
If you have any further questions, feel free to pm me.

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hi Apple12,

My husband cycles to work everyday at the moment does 15 miles there and another 15 miles back, takes him about 45-50 minutes each way. So he is planning to cycle to town when we get there, so we are thinking along the lines off around 10 miles out of town, what areas would you recommend, we've heard Cashmere is nice (hubby thinking nice hills to cycle up and down).

Cheers Donna
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz1
We are hoping to be in chch early Dec. Sorry this is not a question about rentals as this is all sorted by my OH employer which is a load off our minds. My question is about cost of living. My OH will be earning 80,000NZD is this a good wage? We will be bringing approx £20,000 with us. My OH employers are paying for everything from medicals, relocation, flights and rent for 8 months. So our money is pretty much our own for the first few months. I wouldn't like to think that this may the reason that we dont come over. It never really crossed my mind about finances until our passports came back with the blue sticker, now it all seems so real and final.
Yes that is a good wage. It takes my husband and I both working full time to earn a little over that, and we are both professionals. You will be fine!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple12
Hi Donna,
Sounds like your hubbie is much like mine - I am a long suffering bike widow
If your husband is into doing more than just cycle commuting there is a very strong roadie culture, lots of clubs and races etc. Mountain biking is just huge in ChCh, there are heaps of purpose built tracks in the Port Hills and some easier ones in forestry blocks too.
Living on the hills comes at a premium, property costs more. That said there are quite a few hill suburbs to choose from so you won't know until you suss out your budget. Cashmere is nice, and one of the more expensive suburbs in town. Awesome views.
10 miles from the center gets you practically the whole city and hills plus some newer subdivisions such as Halswell and Oaklands. I am on the south side of the city and love it for the proximity to the hills, the east side is cheaper and gives you the beach, the west side gives you easier access to the rest of Canterbury and the airport. The north has quite a big mix of older areas and new subdivisions and is flat. Major generalisations there

If you are arriving mid Jan don't expect there to be much going on to help you with your research. Jan is the traditional time for family holidays and the "silly season" exists. By the end of Jan things start moving again.
My boss lives in Charteris Bay, it is lovely.
If you have any further questions, feel free to pm me.
Thanks for info, especially the bike stuff, i'm sure my hubby will want to know lots more on the bike side of things, we live near lots of hills at mo, so the more hills the better he said Will pm you. Thanks Donna
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:22 am
Just Joined

CarolR will become famous soon enoughCarolR will become famous soon enough

McCuddy1, If your husband is working in the cbd then Rolleston is a peculiar choice to have recommended. I can only assume that Rolleston is offered because CarolR has a property to rent there, so I am not sure that this is good advice at all.

I presume you have looked at a map to see where these things are? Charteris Bay will be a beautiful place to stop for your first rental, although it will mean a 45 min drive to town and there are few facilities close by. It is simply stunning, but it may make researching a little more tricky than if you were based a little closer.

Good luck.
Rolleston is a peculiar choice if cycling I have to agree - did not realise this was the mode of transport. As a suburb commuting to the CBD iti s ideal - straight down route 1 20 mins and to the CBD. The comment about the property was slightly under hand particulary as I have no vacancies for the period these guys arrive, and already stated that.

McCuddy1 wanted good schools etc and I suppose I made the mistake of being subjective instead of objective. Rolleston is the fastest growing suburb with good value newer homes, double glazing and heating systems, all good facillities, easy access to CBD, malls and the south Canterbury, mountains and skiing. It's a good family spot, the high school has a decile 10 rating (I think) and the property is still affordable. That's the only reason I mentioned it. No other motive, honest! Just trying to give on the spot advise.

There are many other very good suburbs with good schools but it about picking places with all amenties and still affordable (my subjective opinion). Christchurch prices have rocketed and you pay for what you get. Cashmere, Sumner, Redcliffs all those suburbs hills and sea are beautiful spots but expensive.

Cycling over the port hills is a very popular pastime so all the hill suburbs would certainly meet that criteria. Some of these can be very pricey though. It all depends on budget really as previously said

Last edited by CarolR; Nov 21st 2006 at 4:28 am.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Maz1
I agree Maz1 that is a good salary - sounds like you getting a good package. Most famillies with dual incomes struggle to acheive that so you should live quite comfortably with that salary. Enjoy your selves and best of luck
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:56 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarolR
Hi Wiz n Ton

Congratulations on making the decision to change your life. Your heads will be all over the place at the moment, all the unknowns, but wow! How exciting for you both. Christchurch is a lovely place to live. It is a good base for the very beautiful spots around Canterbury. What do you like to do?
Hi again CarolR, and thanks for the response to my post. We certainly are all over the shop, one minute jumping up and down with excitement, the next wondering what the hell we're doing, but it all adds to the experience!

Toni likes horse riding, and I am big into motorcycling and fishing. From our visit to Christchurch last year it seems we're going to be well catered for!

Good to spend one last Christmas at home before you come. It can be very emotional saying good bye and mid January gives time, for all that added Christmas emotion to settle. Where in the UK are you? Hopefully the weather will be better by then, because we are having an awful run of it at the moment.
Exactly why we're coming in Jan, to see everyone for Christmas and New Year before we bugger off for good. We are in Southend, Essex. Weather here is usual autumn really - wet and cloudy with occasional stunning sunny days. Trees have all turned now and most have lost their leaves - bring on sunny NZ - erm... we hope

For accommodation I can book the following for you:

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/7753.asp

It's a good idea to have short term accommodation for about 4 weeks before you settle on an area, so you can get your bearings etc. Particulary as you have no jobs yet, it is diffcult to define where you would like to live permanantly. How long after you arrive do you expect your container to arrive?
Looks great. Is it still available? We should have an answer for you shortly. We expect the container to be at least 3 months from when we leave (shared with others) so will need to survive on a back-pack of clothes and 'Warehouse' essentials until it does.

The property above is walking distance to a shopping mall and has easy access to the CBD with a bus stop nearby. I can arrange for you to be picked up at the airport and shown properties that you may wish to buy over your first few weeks. A friend of mine is a realtor and deals with the arriving Brits all the time, I will introduce you.
We shouldn't need collecting - though it is incredibly kind of you to offer. We made a couple of friends on our visit last year who may be able to help with that. Definately interested in your realtor friends though - that'd be A1.

As for cars do you want to hire initially? I can help you with this no problems, arrange something reasonable for your arrival. www.qualityrental.co.nz or if you want to buy we buy all our cars from www.turners.co.nz and never had a problem. It is an auction, but all cars are mechanically checked and come with warranties so you can usually get a below list price deal.
We are happy with auctions, as that's where we got our current rust-bucket. I'm a bit handy at mechanics and so hope to keep a cheap old hack going for a few months until we are settled and know what income we have to play with.

I appreciate your comments with regards to losing money hand over fist when in a new country. We will be trying to keep to a very tight budget once in CC until we are both settled with permanent work and know how we're going to pay the bills. I will drop you a line shortly to your e-mail address to discuss rentals in more detail.

All the best, and we look forward to meeting you too!

Regards,

Wiz, of the Wiz'n'Ton NZ Invasion Party
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

As a suburb commuting to the CBD iti s ideal - straight down route 1 20 mins and to the CBD.
Hmmm not exactly. To get from Rolleston to the central city you have to negotiate Hornby and Blenheim Road. Not quick, and definitely very frustrating, no traffic flow and a lot of traffic lights.
I think it is also stretchiing things to say that Rolleston is a suburb of Christchurch. It is a new planned town in the countryside to the west of ChCh.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Hmmm not exactly. To get from Rolleston to the central city you have to negotiate Hornby and Blenheim Road. Not quick, and definitely very frustrating, no traffic flow and a lot of traffic lights.
I think it is also stretchiing things to say that Rolleston is a suburb of Christchurch. It is a new planned town in the countryside to the west of ChCh.
Hey Apple 12 - good fun debating the suburbs of Christchurch with you - obviously you are not keen on Rolleston, so let's agree to disagree. All areas have good and bad points and appeal more to some, than they do others. I have no real infinity with Rolleston except I have picked it as good value etc etc.

Thanks for sharing your views as it is important that people cominf to Christchurch and asking for advise get it from various sources. Particulary if the people involved see things very differently.