Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Christchurch and surroundings?

Anyone in Christchurch and surroundings?

Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:10 am
Just Joined

chrisinus is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone in Christchurch and surroundings?

We moved to Rolleston, just south of Christchurch, a couple of weeks ago. Are there any other expat mums in the Christchurch area? As my children are at school and my husband is out working, I'm feeling really cut off from the world. Is anyone out there? I'm finding NZ rather daunting, even though we've lived all over the world.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone in Christchurch and surroundings?

I'm bunging this in the main forum Chrisinus. Those that are in Xch are more likely to see it there.

Know what you mean about that feeling of being cut off first off after arriving. I felt like that for a while after we arrived here in NZ. Husband at full time work and no kids to meet from school unless I turned pervy.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:49 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I know exactly what you mean. After all the rushing around and stress of emigrating, there's suddenly a big lull, hubby at work, kids at school and you're just left to kick around an unfamiliar house in an unfamiliar place. I used to force myself to get out of the house everyday and walk down the town and chat to anyone. I live in Rangiora and its a very friendly town. I met up with a few other expats regularly and that really helped.

We're about a 40 minute drive from Rolleston but if you're ever up this way you're more than welcome to come for coffee and a chat. I work from home but it's variable and some days I have nothing at all so am at a loose end myself. I'll PM you my contact details.

Whatever you do, don't stay in and get sad and lonely. There are plenty of us around in the same boat who know exactly what you're going through and hopefully you'll soon have a network of friends to support you.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisinus
We moved to Rolleston, just south of Christchurch, a couple of weeks ago. Are there any other expat mums in the Christchurch area? As my children are at school and my husband is out working, I'm feeling really cut off from the world. Is anyone out there? I'm finding NZ rather daunting, even though we've lived all over the world.
Hi

Sent you a mail, hope to meet up over the weekend some time
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:22 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, and welcome to ChCh! As previous posters have said, don't be lonely! There are about a billion brits in Rolly and I'm sure you'll soon be well into the social swing of things.

Until then, you're always welcome over to Hoon Hay to have a cup of tea and view our bombsite of a house. If plaster dust is your thing of course... (we've got major renovations going on the mo!). At the least you'll leave knowing that some have got it pretty bad at the mo

I think the supermarket board advertises social stuff/ clubs etc so that could be a place to get some inspiration?

Drop us a PM if you ever want to meet up. In lieu of a 'roof shout' (Kiwi phrase for big party when the roof of your new build gets put on) we are planning a 'renovations are nearly done, come paint Andy & Toni's house, then eat pizza and have a good old drink shout' soon, so keep the painting arm nice and loose in preparation!

All the best
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:00 am
loui5a

loui5a will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chrisinus
Hey Chrisinus,

Can't help now as in the UK but happy to PM if you want. Hope to be in Christchurch if all goes well in Nov. Happy to chat

L
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of

We moved here (ChCh) 6 months ago and know what you mean. Still having plenty of those sort of days - PM me and we will arrange to catch up for a coffee - can even do it with the kids in tow over the half-term holidays.

(By the way things are much better when the sun shines and the weather is warmer!)

Kay
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Hi. I know exactly what you mean. After all the rushing around and stress of emigrating, there's suddenly a big lull, hubby at work, kids at school and you're just left to kick around an unfamiliar house in an unfamiliar place. I used to force myself to get out of the house everyday and walk down the town and chat to anyone. I live in Rangiora and its a very friendly town. I met up with a few other expats regularly and that really helped.

We're about a 40 minute drive from Rolleston but if you're ever up this way you're more than welcome to come for coffee and a chat. I work from home but it's variable and some days I have nothing at all so am at a loose end myself. I'll PM you my contact details.

Whatever you do, don't stay in and get sad and lonely. There are plenty of us around in the same boat who know exactly what you're going through and hopefully you'll soon have a network of friends to support you.
Hi TeamEmbo,

Great to hear from you. I've sent you a PM so I hope we can get together.

Take care.

Chrisinus
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Suzbits
We moved here (ChCh) 6 months ago and know what you mean. Still having plenty of those sort of days - PM me and we will arrange to catch up for a coffee - can even do it with the kids in tow over the half-term holidays.

(By the way things are much better when the sun shines and the weather is warmer!)

Kay
Hi Kay,

Have sent a PM. Take care.

Chris
Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:11 am
Just Joined

carol.hannah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There,

Myself and husband and 2 kids have just moved to rangiora 3wks ago, we immigrated for scotland 5yrs ago and we started our nz life in the north island but my husbands job meant we have to move over here. Rangiora is a lovely town for what i have seen of it so far, i havent been out to much though as i dont know anyone. My husband and son go out to work then i take my daughter to school then thats me at a loss as there is only so much housework and unpacking boxes i can do in one day to pass time, as im in need of some adult conversation ha.

I would like to meet up for a coffee and a natter if anyone is out there and new to the area as well or even if you have been here for a while then please get in touch before i go mad!!

Regards

Carol
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carol.hannah
Hi There,

Myself and husband and 2 kids have just moved to rangiora 3wks ago, we immigrated for scotland 5yrs ago and we started our nz life in the north island but my husbands job meant we have to move over here. Rangiora is a lovely town for what i have seen of it so far, i havent been out to much though as i dont know anyone. My husband and son go out to work then i take my daughter to school then thats me at a loss as there is only so much housework and unpacking boxes i can do in one day to pass time, as im in need of some adult conversation ha.

I would like to meet up for a coffee and a natter if anyone is out there and new to the area as well or even if you have been here for a while then please get in touch before i go mad!!

Regards

Carol
Hi

Where in sunny scotland you come from? we were just outside Glasgow
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:54 am
Just Joined

carol.hannah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Hi

Where in sunny scotland you come from? we were just outside Glasgow
Hi,

We come from a town called Girvan about 1 and a half hours down the west coast from glasgow. Im a glasgow girl though as i was born there and stayed there until i was 11yrs then moved to sunny girvan yeah right sunny ha.

How long have you been over here? Hope you are enjoying it, we are as nz is a lovely place to stay and bring up children. I do miss a good takeaway though ha and a decent supermarket as bring on asdas. My husband says im sad to miss a supermarket but the variety is so much better.

Carol
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We are near the Embo,s come and say hello when ur up this end

Neil
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carol.hannah
Hi There,

Regards

Carol

Hi Carol,

I've sent a message to you on your hotmail account so please look for it! Hope to hear from you.

Take care.

Chris
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chrisinus,

I have only just seen this thread, we are in Rolleston, moved here in March, we are loving it. I have 2 children that go to Burnham school (9 & 7), please feel free to drop me a line if you fancy a chat or a glass of the cold stuff.

Tee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.