Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Christchurch miss their friends??

Anyone in Christchurch miss their friends??

Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

delcat will become famous soon enoughdelcat will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone in Christchurch miss their friends??

Hello all

I'm new to this whole online forum stuff, it's not really my thing, but I'd like to introduce myself and find out if there are others in Christchurch who find it hard to meet people.

I moved here 9 months ago from Auckland with my hubby, he's an NZer and I'm a Brit, we are in our early-mid 30s, no kids, and both work full time (me from home as I still work for the company in Auckland). Even the 2 years in Auckland we only really met people through work, and now in Christchurch we are really struggling to meet like-minded people; its seems a lot of couples our age meet friends through their kids etc, and with us not having kids and me not being in an office, it gets a bit lonely!!

Anyone else out there in a similar situation? I really miss my girlfriends, the odd coffee or lunch or dinner, and just a bit of a laugh over a bottle of wine

Help!

Last edited by delcat; Jan 21st 2008 at 12:06 am.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:11 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Christchurch miss their friends??

Hi and welcome! We're just outside Cch (25min drive) on North Canterbury Plains. Late 30s married, 2 kids (13 and oh so nearly12)! But you're more than welcome to drop in for coffee/drinks if you're ever up this way - just PM us. You could try sending Wiz'n'Toni a PM. They live in the city centre and are similar age, no kids. They seem to get out and about a lot round Cch's wine bars (not that I'm calling them alcoholics or anything!!!).

Anyway, you're more than welcome up here any time. I love meeting up with people and seeing what their experiences have been and if you ever need anything just yell, will always try to help.

Best wishes
Mandie xx
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:24 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there Delcat - and welcome to the forum. You're certainly not alone in the missing friends thing. We've been here in ChCh a year, and have only now started to make real friends. I posted a thread up a while ago about the probs we'd been having, (same situation as you - no kids, late 20's/ early 30's, no network) and the general response was 'pull your finger out then and get involved in life', and so we have. Summer has certainly helped, but just by doing more stuff we have met some really cool people.

There's also a few others on here who are always up for a pint and a chat if you're ever in the city.

Working from home must be a bit of a pain in meeting people, so maybe try the evenings as a social time. We're always up for meeting new folks, so I've PM'd ya. Dustybin'll prob be along soon aswell - he usually is when is mentioned
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:39 am
Just Joined

thanks for the prompt replies - I need to post more to view PMs so doing that now! Look forward to chatting and maybe meeting up for a beer or two
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice

Hi all
Hub and I are in our 30s, no kids and will be moving to Christchurch later this year from the UK. We will definitely be on for meeting up, as we don't know anyone in Christchurch, so keep us in mind!
Em and Ken
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Em and Ken, look forward to you making the move and hopefully getting to know some more folks out here. Best of luck, keep in touch!
Delcat.